ADVERTISEMENT

Stats Leaders from today’s win!

Exhibition--playing everyone--rather than featuring what might, or will be, the coming seasons starting lineup. Unknown quality of opponent.

Also, isn't Fede not on trip and instead with the Finland National Team.

IMHO, we can't reach any conclusions about the coming season based on this exhibition.

Nevertheless, fun to see a few phone videos and see some rough stats to wet the appetite for next season.

Last edited:
So Dior didn’t lead in a single category. Curious what volume the 3’s were on? 4,4, and 3 could be pretty decent.

That would be very interesting. Because he was basically absent in the stats categories and didn’t start.
If you watch the full highlights of the game, he had a put back in the lane for 2, had a great alley oop pass to Austin for a dunk and had a steal that lead to a Austin fast break dunk.

We know that Blake can do, but the 2 big games were from Austin and Carrington. Carrington filled the box score with assists, rebounds and steals.

Last edited:
After watching this
it looks like rec ball, but with pretty decent chemistry from new folks and a lot of smiles from all. Hopefully they are much more prepared for the early schedule onslaught. The blowout losses really sunk the NET early on. They don’t have to win all of them, but avoiding big losses early can go a long way later on.

If you watch the full highlights of the game, he had a put back in the lane for 2, had a great alley oop pass to Austin for a dunk and had a steal that lead to a Austin fast break dunk.

We know that Blake can do, but the 2 big games were from Austin and Carrington. Carrington filled the box score with assists, rebounds and steals.

I think the biggest surprise in all this is Carrington. Not that Carrington started or played a lot or loaded the box score in multiple facets of the game, Ive been saying that was potentially going to happen for a while. But starting at point guard is a pretty big surprise.

Carrington was a backup point guard in high school and in the EYBL. He probably played point roughly 35% of the total possessions in the EYBL at point and handled it fairly well. All along, I thought he would be pretty awesome as a point forward and someone to play in the middle against a 2-3 zone when the time came as this whole time Ive raved about his underrated passing and playmaking ability with good ball control.

But to actually start at point guard is a sizeable jump to make in comparison to a point forward. Ive been concerned with turnovers the most this off season with regard to our team in general, and both of our scoring point guards Lowe and Dior have had turnover issues in the past. Carrington somewhat. It will be surprising / interesting to me how long this stays in place.

I do love the fact Kante led the team on the glass off the bench. Carrington and Kante have sky high upside and both delivered in game 1 regardless of the circumstances.

Last edited:
After watching this
it looks like rec ball, but with pretty decent chemistry from new folks and a lot of smiles from all. Hopefully they are much more prepared for the early schedule onslaught. The blowout losses really sunk the NET early on. They don’t have to win all of them, but avoiding big losses early can go a long way later on.
After watching limited videos and seeing the limited stats---

The Obvious: Did Not Play: J D-G (in boot); Fede (in Finland)

Otherwise missing from the limited incomplete stats: Jeffress, Barnes, and the 3 walk-ons.

Observations/Questions:

(1) Austin appears to play bigger than his listed height.
(2) Capel seems to be emphasizing seeing what his new freshmen and transfers bring to the table (as should be expected). He may only be using his returning top guys enough to avoid a loss.
(3) Has Jeffress improved as was reported; or has he not? No way to tell from this game.
(4) Did Barnes get any PT--I didn't notice his number (#11) in the videos? But, maybe I missed it.

Otherwise missing from the limited incomplete stats: Jeffress, Barnes, and the 3 walk-ons.

Observations/Questions:

(2) Capel seems to be emphasizing seeing what his new freshmen and transfers bring to the table (as should be expected). He may only be using his returning top guys enough to avoid a loss.
(3) Has Jeffress improved as was reported; or has he not? No way to tell from this game.
(4) Did Barnes get any PT--I didn't notice his number (#11) in the videos? But, maybe I missed it.
There are a few pictures of Barnes playing, so it looks like he got at least a little run.

Observations/Questions:

A platoon system was used at least in decent chunks of the game. What I mean by that is, the starting 5 played together the entire time, and the 2nd unit backup starting 5 played together as a unit.

1) I would expect him to. He is a major athlete.
2) I dont think that conclusion can be made
4) Yes, he was part of the 2nd five unit that played together on the court.

It was reported that his game was streamed in full on IG live. I don't plan on signing up there just to watch these games, but if anyone has an account there, you may be able to watch the next game live.

After watching the 3 minute video on the Pitt official site--- Some further observations I had based on that very, very limited view.

Hinson looks like he has slimmed down--that's a good thing.

Austin is a real talent who should definitely get starter's minutes.

Carrington is not 6-6 as he may have been listed on his High School program--he looks like 6-3 or 6-4. Pitt lists him as 6-4. Nevertheless, he looks ready for significant PT as a shooting guard who can back-up at point some. I don't see him playing much forward even in a 1 big with 4 smaller player lineup for two reasons: (1) Hinson and Austin have a lock on the two forward spots even in a 1 inside, 4 on perimeter offense and (2) he is too short and thin for the position--unless foul trouble or injury has either Hinson or Austin not playing. Maybe eventually, he will fill out and gain enough strength to be used as a forward (point-forward).

Kante looks to need more development--seems to play more like a 6-8 or 6-9 big forward than a 6-10 post player at this time. Fede is currently a better post option for sharing the post with Guillermo, at least at this time, IMHO.

The real open question for me is how point guard is going to work out. Will a player or a combo of players from the group Leggett, Dior, Lowe & Carrington be able to match or exceed what Nelly Cummings provided last season? And, I don't just mean in terms of points, assists, rebounds, steals, etc--I also include overall defense, lack of turnovers and leadership intangibles.

Looking again at the partial stats provided. The scoring reported only totals 67 out of the 86 points Pitt scored. So, there was another 19 points scored by other than the top 4 scorers. Would be interesting to see how that was distributed.

Finally, my latest guess at starters lineup for the first game of the season:

Post--Fede & Guillermo sharing minutes about equally.
Forwards--Hinson and Austin
Off Guard--Carrington
Point Guard-- Leggett & Dior sharing minutes.

Last edited:
Dior is a freshman and if he's bought into staying at Pitt and developing, I wouldn't be worried.

Reactions: jctrack
After watching the 3 minute video on the Pitt official site--- Some further observations I had based on that very, very limited view.

Carrington is not 6-6 as he may have been listed on his High School program--he looks like 6-3 or 6-4. Pitt lists him as 6-4. Nevertheless, he looks ready for significant PT as a shooting guard who can back-up at point some. I don't see him playing much forward even in a 1 big with 4 smaller player lineup for two reasons: (1) Hinson and Austin have a lock on the two forward spots even in a 1 inside, 4 on perimeter offense and (2) he is too short and thin for the position--unless foul trouble or injury has either Hinson or Austin not playing. Maybe eventually, he will fill out and gain enough strength to be used as a forward (point-forward).

Kante looks to need more development--seems to play more like a 6-8 or 6-9 big forward than a 6-10 post player at this time. Fede is currently a better post option for sharing the post with Guillermo, at least at this time, IMHO.

The real open question for me is how point guard is going to work out. Will a player or a combo of players from the group Leggett, Dior, Lowe & Carrington be able to match or exceed what Nelly Cummings provided last season? And, I don't just mean in terms of points, assists, rebounds, steals, etc--I also include overall defense, lack of turnovers and leadership intangibles.

Looking again at the partial stats provided. The scoring reported only totals 67 out of the 86 points Pitt scored. So, there was another 19 points scored by other than the top 4 scorers. Would be interesting to see how that was distributed.

Off Guard--Carrington

That photo was taken yesterday. Carrington is standing right next to Hinson. You can see the height differences of each player in this team photo.

You can also see Kante has multiple inches on Jeffress (about 3+ is my guess) as they are standing right next to one another.

My comments in regard to being a point forward were meant to be at the 3 position. A point forward could be a 3 or a 4. Carrington will never play the 4 here.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t take almost anything from these games to mean anything. But yeah, him not starting or being a double digit scorer or even to 2 assists is concerning.

Let me get this straight. In the same post you say "I wouldn’t take almost anything from these games".

Then what you take from it "is concerning".

dogs go faster GIF by A Magical Mess

As far as not taking much from these games I was only meaning in terms of how good the "team" rather than individuals will be overall and in ACC play.

Those two question remain open. The answer will heavily depend on whether we get solid point guard play--IMHO a serious concern at this time given the yourh (except Leggett) at the position.

As far as not taking much from these games I was only meaning in terms of how good the "team" rather than individuals will be overall and in ACC play.

Those two question remain open. The answer will heavily depend on whether we get solid point guard play--IMHO a serious concern at this time given the yourh (except Leggett) at the position.
All good points … but in most general terms, I like what I’m hearing thus far.

Off Guard--Carrington
Carrington looks every bit of 6’6” if you look at any of the pictures the team is posting on Twitter. He is easily taller than any of the guards and almost as tall as Blake and Zack.

That photo was taken yesterday. Carrington is standing right next to Hinson. You can see the height differences of each player in this team photo.

You can also see Kante has multiple inches on Jeffress (about 3+ is my guess) as they are standing right next to one another.

My comments in regard to being a point forward were meant to be at the 3 position. A point forward could be a 3 or a 4. Carrington will never play the 4 here.
I agree that the biggest take away is that Carrington was playing PG. if that really is what we end up putting out on the floor, we are an extremely tall and athletic team.

Let me get this straight. In the same post you say "I wouldn’t take almost anything from these games".

Then what you take from it "is concerning".

dogs go faster GIF by A Magical Mess
Ok. He did nothing again today. If he’s not playing, he’ll be a problem. Also, two things can be true. Not taking anything from these games but also realizing Dior Johnson barely playing isn’t what’s best for this team if this is an indicator of where the team is at.

Shockingly, you can have a nuanced opinion and not think anything is so great or so bad. I know that’s shocking to you since Pitt has never done a thing wrong in your eyes.

Ok. He did nothing again today. If he’s not playing, he’ll be a problem. Also, two things can be true. Not taking anything from these games but also realizing Dior Johnson barely playing isn’t what’s best for this team if this is an indicator of where the team is at.

Shockingly, you can have a nuanced opinion and not think anything is so great or so bad. I know that’s shocking to you since Pitt has never done a thing wrong in your eyes.

A couple points here.

1) We don't or at least I don't know the full details of when he has had full release from his legal issues. We still don't know if all his legal stuff has even been cleared yet with classes and such. Back to this point further down.

2) What is of your opinion that he will be a problem? He has not started, yet in all of the video and pictures that has been released, he is cheering his teammates on, clapping from the bench, looks engaged with the teams play, and overall looks happy. He doesn't have anywhere near the negative body language John Hugley or Ithiel Horton showed on or off the court, at least not yet.

3) Our strength and conditioning looks to have been taken up a few notches at a bare minimum, and from my viewpoint, looks to have been taken to a whole new level from years past. Some of these guys added real muscle and big gains in the offseason and it shows. Hinson, Leggett, Lowe, Kante, all 4 of these guys look way different than a year ago. Leggett has a pair of cannons for arms. And the strength coach made it clear both twins added muscle and weight with at least 1 of them adding over 10lbs.

The one outlier here is Dior. He looks really skinny still, even in comparison to Jaland Lowe who was rail thin a year ago. We don't know to what extent Dior has been able to strength train and be with these guys this offseason. I am guessing here, but I dont think he has been there full time,. He looks like he has been off for a while and may have just lost a lot of ground over the past year with all his legal restrictions.

4) We dont have full box scores for these games, at least I dont. We dont know the shooting percentages, turnovers, efficiency levels, etc.. of any of these guys. We also don't know how good these teams they are playing really are. Its nice to look at the stats, but I still wouldnt take these games seriously and I said that comment to you well over a month ago that what is going on now and what is going on in October are 2 completely different things.

Reactions: MajorMajors
A couple points here.

1) We don't or at least I don't know the full details of when he has had full release from his legal issues. We still don't know if all his legal stuff has even been cleared yet with classes and such. Back to this point further down.

2) What is of your opinion that he will be a problem? He has not started, yet in all of the video and pictures that has been released, he is cheering his teammates on, clapping from the bench, looks engaged with the teams play, and overall looks happy. He doesn't have anywhere near the negative body language John Hugley or Ithiel Horton showed on or off the court, at least not yet.

3) Our strength and conditioning looks to have been taken up a few notches at a bare minimum, and from my viewpoint, looks to have been taken to a whole new level from years past. Some of these guys added real muscle and big gains in the offseason and it shows. Hinson, Leggett, Lowe, Kante, all 4 of these guys look way different than a year ago. Leggett has a pair of cannons for arms. And the strength coach made it clear both twins added muscle and weight with at least 1 of them adding over 10lbs.

The one outlier here is Dior. He looks really skinny still, even in comparison to Jaland Lowe who was rail thin a year ago. We don't know to what extent Dior has been able to strength train and be with these guys this offseason. I am guessing here, but I dont think he has been there full time,. He looks like he has been off for a while and may have just lost a lot of ground over the past year with all his legal restrictions.

4) We dont have full box scores for these games, at least I dont. We dont know the shooting percentages, turnovers, efficiency levels, etc.. of any of these guys. We also don't know how good these teams they are playing really are. Its nice to look at the stats, but I still wouldnt take these games seriously and I said that comment to you well over a month ago that what is going on now and what is going on in October are 2 completely different things.
You’re right. He won’t be. He will be the model citizen he has been at Pitt. His NBA dreams of which he wants to go after this year do not matter. He will stick with Pitt unlike any other school because Pitt is Pitt.

I drew literally nothing else from the games other than Hinson can still shoot, Austin is athletic and they’re going to try everything they can to make Will Jeffress happen

You’re right. He won’t be. He will be the model citizen he has been at Pitt. His NBA dreams of which he wants to go after this year do not matter. He will stick with Pitt unlike any other school because Pitt is Pitt.

I drew literally nothing else from the games other than Hinson can still shoot, Austin is athletic and they’re going to try everything they can to make Will Jeffress happen
The most interesting thing to me is that it appears Carrington is ahead of the other freshman guards. For all the talk about Dior, I think it is more fascinating that Carrington seemingly has pulled ahead of both Dior and Lowe.

The competition for minutes should make them better and bring out the best in all of them. And if one guy can’t handle it, as you imply, then adios to him. But all of this being said, there does not seem to be any indications that’s the case.

Watched some of the longer clips from the first game that popped up on Instagram, and thought his body language looked pretty good. Better than I expected when it came out that he didn’t start. He was pretty active and engaged on the defensive end, too. Both of those were negatives on the scouting report as a recruit, so it was good to see.

Watched some of the longer clips from the first game that popped up on Instagram, and thought his body language looked pretty good. Better than I expected when it came out that he didn’t start. He was pretty active and engaged on the defensive end, too. Both of those were negatives on the scouting report as a recruit, so it was good to see.
Everyone is having fun in the summer. I don’t trust him to be a good soldier if he’s eligible, but that’s only 11 schools and 5 years worth of data

Reactions: pittchagg
Everyone is having fun in the summer. I don’t trust him to be a good soldier if he’s eligible, but that’s only 11 schools and 5 years worth of data
Totally hear you. He’s gonna have to prove it to overcome the reputation. Just saying I was pleasantly surprised with the demeanor he showed in the first game, when I had expected it to be more of an adventure.

The competition for minutes should make them better and bring out the best in all of them. And if one guy can’t handle it, as you imply, then adios to him. But all of this being said, there does not seem to be any indications that’s the case.
Agreed. They have a solid set of guys who seemingly like each other like last year. I have no idea how that kid will act and that’s part of the problem. You pretty much know hoopers will buy in. The Carrington’s, lowes, Hinsons, fedes, twins and even jeffress of the world. What you don’t know is if the guys who have had people in their ears and continue to will buy in. I agree, easy to say adios if this happens.

The only thing you have to worry about then is the maturity level of the team as compared to a team of older kids.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Agreed. They have a solid set of guys who seemingly like each other like last year. I have no idea how that kid will act and that’s part of the problem. You pretty much know hoopers will buy in. The Carrington’s, lowes, Hinsons, fedes, twins and even jeffress of the world. What you don’t know is if the guys who have had people in their ears and continue to will buy in. I agree, easy to say adios if this happens.

The only thing you have to worry about then is the maturity level of the team as compared to a team of older kids.
I’m with you. I like to think Coach can tell someone to hit the bricks now that the roster has depth, as opposed to before when he had X and Trey and couldn’t do anything about it.

I think knowing they have Cummings coming in next year, too, gives them wiggle room. They know the demeanor they’re getting from him. Feels like there’s a lot of trust there right off the bat. Leggett seems like an impressive, mature kid too.

I’m with you. I like to think Coach can tell someone to hit the bricks now that the roster has depth, as opposed to before when he had X and Trey and couldn’t do anything about it.
It may not have even been the coach … it says he’s not enrolled. He may have just blown off Pitt hoops himself. I don’t know … I’m just conjecturing. College isn’t for everyone. Whatever the reason, I agree that this is better now than four months from now.

It may not have even been the coach … it says he’s not enrolled. He may have just blown off Pitt hoops himself. I don’t know … I’m just conjecturing. College isn’t for everyone. Whatever the reason, I agree that this is better now than four months from now.
Yeah. I said that two weeks ago. That was so yesterday. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT