ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers classic choke job on the road

If I may chime in on this there are several including Tomlin. Pete Carroll and Sean Payton have won as many Super Bowls as Tomlin. Andy Reid always has good teams, but can't win the big one. Sean McVay seems to be doing quite well in his first two seasons.

It seems like people want to believe that the coaching rankings are Belichick is the best, Tomlin is a step below, then everyone else.

Just with you.

Lets make it easier-
Who are the best 3 coaches in the nfl?
1 is clearly belichek

Wanny had a losing record as an NFL coach. Marvin Lewis has a better resume than Wanny.

You misunderstand the reference, the reference was to Pitt's success under Wanny vs. the Steeler's success under Tomlin. Yes, I understand Tomlin won a Super Bowl, but do Steeler fans feel confident he can deliver another? Pitt did pretty well under Wanny but there came a point in time where you knew that Pitt was "maxxed out" with him. The question then becomes do you make a change in hopes the new guy does better or do you accept the status quo. Perhaps a better analogy would be the Pens with Bylsma. He won a Stanley Cup in his first partial season but several years later it became apparent another one was unlikely. They moved on and later won two more Cups.

Yep. And he got fired mid season for a bad 8 game stretch. He had a HOF QB like Tomlin, and significantly less talent. He’s not all that different than Tomlin. Yet he’s unemployed. The people who think it’s time for a change have a case study in GB.

He has significantly less talent? How so? Before you answer be clear NOBODY would ever suggest that Roethlisberger is better, or has ever been better, than Rodgers.

Reactions: Ski11585
You misunderstand the reference, the reference was to Pitt's success under Wanny vs. the Steeler's success under Tomlin. Yes, I understand Tomlin won a Super Bowl, but do Steeler fans feel confident he can deliver another? Pitt did pretty well under Wanny but there came a point in time where you knew that Pitt was "maxxed out" with him. The question then becomes do you make a change in hopes the new guy does better or do you accept the status quo. Perhaps a better analogy would be the Pens with Bylsma. He won a Stanley Cup in his first partial season but several years later it became apparent another one was unlikely. They moved on and later won two more Cups.
Tomlin has been the HC for 11 seasons, and has not had a losing record. He has earned the right to get things figured out.

Tomlin has been the HC for 11 seasons, and has not had a losing record. He has earned the right to get things figured out.

OK, you've answered the question. Stick it out with Tomlin and hope he get's it done. As I said, not a Steeler fan, so I don't care personally. Actually, the Tomlin Steelers provide a lot of entertainment every season so maybe I should hope he stays.

He has significantly less talent? How so? Before you answer be clear NOBODY would ever suggest that Roethlisberger is better, or has ever been better, than Rodgers.
McCarthy didn’t have the top end talent that Tomlin has had. Yet their careers are vastly similar. Except McCarthy got fired and Tomlin likely has stability.

Both tomlin and McCarthy had HOF QBs.

Essentially they are similar. Both good careers.

Wanny-
Because he wasn’t very good

Dixon-
Because people are idiots.

Which group do you identify with?
Wanny and a Tomlin were similar game day coaches. I didn’t advocate Wanny getting fired. I don’t advocate Tomlin getting fired, but I understand why people have him in the hot seat. Steelers standard is winning post season games.

Dixon much better Coach than either of them.

What’s your hunch on those who don’t support Tomlin? No need to be cryptic.

If I may chime in on this there are several including Tomlin. Pete Carroll and Sean Payton have won as many Super Bowls as Tomlin. Andy Reid always has good teams, but can't win the big one. Sean McVay seems to be doing quite well in his first two seasons.

It seems like people want to believe that the coaching rankings are Belichick is the best, Tomlin is a step below, then everyone else.

Nobody is claiming Tomlin is a step above "the rest." People are saying that below Belicheck, there's a pretty interchangeable group of above average coaches of which Tomlin is one.

McCarthy didn’t have the top end talent that Tomlin has had. Yet their careers are vastly similar. Except McCarthy got fired and Tomlin likely has stability.

Both tomlin and McCarthy had HOF QBs.

Essentially they are similar. Both good careers.

Antonio Brown: 86 Receptions. 1063 yards. 12 TDs.
Davante Adams: 92 Receptions. 1196 yards. 12 TDs.

Nobody is claiming Tomlin is a step above "the rest." People are saying that below Belicheck, there's a pretty interchangeable group of above average coaches of which Tomlin is one.

Antonio Brown: 86 Receptions. 1063 yards. 12 TDs.
Davante Adams: 92 Receptions. 1196 yards. 12 TDs.
Serious question. I was referring to high end talent during their tenures...not this season. It would seem that a Tomlin has had more high end talent than McCarthy. Agree or disagree?

Serious question. I was referring to high end talent during their tenures...not this season. It would seem that a Tomlin has had more high end talent than McCarthy. Agree or disagree?

I’ll glance at the rosters later but I think the talent is much closer than you’re portraying.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I listen to The Fan daily and almost to a person The Fan hosts have mentioned this is one of the most talented Steelers team that they've watched in a while and are amazed the results are better.
ZIese mentioned it yesterday multiple times and other hosts have been on this as well.
There's been some injuries but every team deals with that.
The Eagles won the Superbowl with a backup QB and I believe ZIese said the team who won the Super Bowl the year before had to play a backup QB.

Last edited:
I think the year before was Brady/Pats over Atlanta.
Ziese was blasting a caller who mentioned the Steelers injuries and Ziese went off on a rant about the last two Super Bowl winners played back-up QB's so the Steelers should be able to deal with injuries.
The Eagles did but I didn't fact check Ziese on his year before comment.
I thought so too so not sure why Ziese mentioned that after he

I’ll glance at the rosters later but I think the talent is much closer than you’re portraying.
No worries. My point is that both are good coaches. Neither I would classify as great. But McCarthy has done about the same with less talent. Regardless, I said this here a couple weeks ago before this steeler slide. If and when Tomlin wins a second super bowl, he would then be in a different class and an argument can be made that he’s a great coach.

Reactions: Ski11585
Wanny and a Tomlin were similar game day coaches. I didn’t advocate Wanny getting fired. I don’t advocate Tomlin getting fired, but I understand why people have him in the hot seat. Steelers standard is winning post season games.

Dixon much better Coach than either of them.

What’s your hunch on those who don’t support Tomlin? No need to be cryptic.
Does it really need said why certain people never liked him?

No worries. My point is that both are good coaches. Neither I would classify as great. But McCarthy has done about the same with less talent. Regardless, I said this here a couple weeks ago before this steeler slide. If and when Tomlin wins a second super bowl, he would then be in a different class and an argument can be made that he’s a great coach.

You need to specify where the Steelers have had more talent. Certainly they have never had more talent on the defensive side of the ball. Green Bay had excellent receivers and a better quarterback. LeVeon Bell could be an edge: if you acknowledge this, then you must acknowledge that Bell missed the entire 2014 and 2015 playoffs. And basically did nothing due to injury against New England in 2016.

You need to specify where the Steelers have had more talent. Certainly they have never had more talent on the defensive side of the ball. Green Bay had excellent receivers and a better quarterback. LeVeon Bell could be an edge: if you acknowledge this, then you must acknowledge that Bell missed the entire 2014 and 2015 playoffs. And basically did nothing due to injury against New England in 2016.
I’ve acknowledged in this thread that Tomlin has had some bad luck in regards to injuries in the playoffs. Still, I can’t peg a coach as great because he may have had a different playoff outcome due to injuries. The only thing that’s tangible is that Belechik was presumably the only thing that stood between Tomlin and championships. Yet, Tomlin mostly never played Belechik because of steeler early exits to Flacco, Tebow, and Bortles.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Good move this week by Tomlin bringing in former Giants LB coach Jim Hermann to work with the defense, and former steeler kicker Shaun Suissam to work with Boswell. The Giants figured out ways to beat the Patriots.

I’m not sure if this is out of the box thinking or not...but it’s good coaching.

Gotta think Joey Porter, Jerry O, Keith Butler and Tom Bradley are in trouble this off season. As well as Special teams coach Danny Smith. Tomlin had a HOF coordinator in the past, and it’s time to try to get another.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Artie Burnt toast to play this weeken. Does anyone really think they have a chance against Brady and Gronk ?

I’ve acknowledged in this thread that Tomlin has had some bad luck in regards to injuries in the playoffs. Still, I can’t peg a coach as great because he may have had a different playoff outcome due to injuries. The only thing that’s tangible is that Belechik was presumably the only thing that stood between Tomlin and championships. Yet, Tomlin mostly never played Belechik because of steeler early exits to Flacco, Tebow, and Bortles.

Did you answer my question?

Anyway it seems to me the Green Bay coach shouldn't have been fired either. Green Bay was doing fine last season until Rodgers got hurt, and this season they lost 2 games because of a horrible roughing the passer penalty against Minnesota and a kick returner refusing to take a knee in the end zone against the Rams. Also Rodgers himself screwed up against Seattle.

Back in 2014 Green Bay had Seattle beat in the NFC championship but a player was unable to retrieve an onside kick.

Coaches many times get too much of the blame for a team's struggles. But I do have a major problem with the Big Ben situation last week in Oakland.

Anyway it seems to me the Green Bay coach shouldn't have been fired either. Green Bay was doing fine last season until Rodgers got hurt, and this season they lost 2 games because of a horrible roughing the passer penalty against Minnesota and a kick returner refusing to take a knee in the end zone against the Rams. Also Rodgers himself screwed up against Seattle.

Back in 2014 Green Bay had Seattle beat in the NFC championship but a player was unable to retrieve an onside kick.

Coaches many times get too much of the blame for a team's struggles. But I do have a major problem with the Big Ben situation last week in Oakland.

It's easy to answer your question.

Not sure if you listen to The Fan I do.

The hosts on the fan almost to a person have commented that this is the best Steelers team that they've watched in years, great OL, Ben is having record performances, two fantastic wide outs, good TE's, Conner who was in their words was recording record performances and they have a solid defense.

These comments are coming from people who are paid and make a living analyzing Pittsburgh sports compared to the hacks posting on the Free Pantherlair message board.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

The excuse dreamed up by Tomlin about the Ben injury is so absurd only his confused water boys on this board would believe one iota of that bullshite

The excuse dreamed up by Tomlin about the Ben injury is so absurd only his confused water boys on this board would believe one iota of that bullshite
Noone that I've heard in the Pittsburgh media is buying the X Ray machine fabrication.
If that's what you're talking about.
That's similar to my little brother ate my homework?

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: paulbl99
Noone that I've heard in the Pittsburgh media is buying the X Ray machine fabrication.
If that's what you're talking about.
That's similar to my little brother ate my homework?

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Even most sports analyst in Pgh aren’t that stupid to buy into Tomlin’s line of bull.
And many of them are Tomlin’s poodles like some here on this board.

Of course I didn’t answer the question. Why would I take the time to lay out McCarthys rosters through the years and compare it to Tomlins? Tomlin has had had a vast array of star players, some of which are slam dunk HOFers. But I agree with you that MccCarthy shouldn’t have been fired. But sometimes oragnaizations would rather take a chance on a new HC then accept mediocrity.

I have to ask the question though. What does everyone think Tomlins reaction was when Keith butler approached tomlin and said “I’m thinking of starting Artie burns this week vs the greatest quarterback of all time.” I’ll remind everyone that this is the same Artie Burns that has gotten beat over the top a dozen times this year and was not even good enough to dress for games recently. Obviously Tomlin likes the idea, otherwise it wouldn’t be happening. I’d like to think Tomlin has a trick up his sleeve or that he knows what he’s doing. But then again, his time management and challenge decisions show us that he does the exact opposite of what he should do time and again.

It's easy to answer your question.

Not sure if you listen to The Fan I do.

The hosts on the fan almost to a person have commented that this is the best Steelers team that they've watched in years, great OL, Ben is having record performances, two fantastic wide outs, good TE's, Conner who was in their words was recording record performances and they have a solid defense.

These comments are coming from people who are paid and make a living analyzing Pittsburgh sports compared to the hacks posting on the Free Pantherlair message board.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Anyone saying that the Steelers have a solid defense shouldn't be getting paid for it.

The offense definitely has underachieved given the talent it has stockpiled, however.

I attribute that to Ben demanding to run the offense his way. Which is swashbuckling ... fun to play and watch when it's clicking, but inefficient and with excess risk. I didn't think Haley was a great OC by any means but they need a real professional at that position. It's a bit of joke now. Ben is the defacto OC.

But the defense is the real issue. Simply cant get stops, particularly at most critical times. Two very expensive bookends DE that can't get consistent pressure. DL and LB and safeties worse at stopping the run than maybe any Steeler team in my lifetime. Secondary needs no further words (except to remind that its being coached by a rape conspirator).

That all said, the team is pretty successful. Those who are excessively critical of Tomlin have an obvious agenda. Those excessively blindingly in support of him have an obvious agenda too. Those of us who soberly observe the facts likely would say that the coordinators are junk and need overhauled... but good luck getting Ben to accept a real OC ... and on D, don't think even Vince Lombardi as DC could improve the ghastly linebackers and safeties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT