ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Free Agency

If you believe KP is the franchise qb top priority has to be to protect him. So far so good with the guards signed. Now you have to get an OT with one of the two first picks. If the DL and or DB available is better value with the first Pick then you take that guy. Or you trade up to get the OT. Either way OT has to be the first or second Pick

You can find a decent WR later in the draft and also a ILB

Damn that'd be stupid and crazy
I think it’s only stupid if 1 of the 3 top OTs are available. OT will be the pick if one of those 3 are available in the 1st. If not, we’re likely talking some developmental OT which will come after the 2nd round. 1st 2-3 picks then likely used for DB, WR and/or DL.

As always, it will come down to who’s available when they’re picking and how the Steelers have them rated.

I think it’s only stupid if 1 of the 3 top OTs are available. OT will be the pick if one of those 3 are available in the 1st. If not, we’re likely talking some developmental OT which will come after the 2nd round. 1st 2-3 picks then likely used for DB, WR and/or DL.

As always, it will come down to who’s available when they’re picking and how the Steelers have them rated.
Should be interesting how it falls. I love the Xtra pick, I hope they don't blow it

Better than using two of the worst tackles in all of football. Lol
One in FA would be ideal

Well put, exactly how I see it. Barring a trade, I think the 1st pick will be a WR, and 2nd will be the CB.

When you look at the Steelers roster and this draft right now, they really should just be looking to add the best player available. Save QB, RB and now G, they could use high quality players at any position.

When you look at the Steelers roster and this draft right now, they really should just be looking to add the best player available. Save QB, RB and now G, they could use high quality players at any position.
It depends how close you have the players rated and the quality of draft eligible players at that specific position. CB is pretty well loaded. If there is a quality LT at pick 17, then you have to take him imo. You can get a good CB at 32.

It depends how close you have the players rated and the quality of draft eligible players at that specific position. CB is pretty well loaded. If there is a quality LT at pick 17, then you have to take him imo. You can get a good CB at 32.
Probably won't be a first round LT at 17 so they would have to move up to get one. Personally, I don't think they'll go looking for an OL-man in the draft that can play right now after these signings unless they think they can get a top center late in the 2nd or third. Starting to think they'll trade back for value but I don't have any better insight than anyone else.

Probably won't be a first round LT at 17 so they would have to move up to get one. Personally, I don't think they'll go looking for an OL-man in the draft that can play right now after these signings unless they think they can get a top center late in the 2nd or third. Starting to think they'll trade back for value but I don't have any better insight than anyone else.
Why in the world would they go after a Center? Cole did a pretty good job and Daniels has played Center in the pros as well.

Reactions: Drew1208
we have 2 and only 2 tackles on our roster so of course we will address this in the draft. obviously we need a good one early, easier said than done though.

What is exciting and scary is that the steelers have 3 top 50 picks and we absolutely NEED not one but at least 2 of those 3 to be not only start from day one but start and play well.. Finding 2 first day starters is a tall ask..

i think CB class is deep so id go OT first pick and CB or best available or best available and CB with our bears pick and our 2nd..

The Steelers' defense is fine. Some fans consider a position a "hole" if it isn't filled by an All-Pro player. Even the Steelers of the late-2000's weren't loaded at every position on defense. Plus, I keep hearing people discounting Watt's absence for most of last season and saying "the defense is bad without Watt." Yes, your defense is going to take a hit when you're missing one of the league's top 5 defensive players. He makes as much money as he does because he impacts basically every snap. Take AD away from the Rams' defense and they would likely sputter, as well.

Agree with a lot of that, but I do wonder what role the schedule played. Burrows, Hurts, and Allen absolutely shredded us... and then we mostly faced a bunch of bad teams/QBs aside from that.

If Johnson or Jones is available at #17, Steelers are drafting him. If not and one of the top CBs is available, Steelers are drafting him. If not, then possibly trade back in the first round and add an additional 2nd round pick.

I think the line is suddenly a strength for this team. I think the two biggest questions now are:

1) Do you move Okorafor to LT and draft someone like Dawand Jones?
2) Which three of Cole/Daniels/Herbig/Seumalo starts? Do you consider moving Daniels to center?

Lots of options up front now. LOVE this off-season so far.

Without checking his contract and seeing if it even makes the least bit of sense, I'm wondering if there isn't something unexpected in the cards, such as cutting Daniels. Otherwise, it seems like one of those guys is going to be making a nice chunk of change to be a backup.

Agree with a lot of that, but I do wonder what role the schedule played. Burrows, Hurts, and Allen absolutely shredded us... and then we mostly faced a bunch of bad teams/QBs aside from that.
Some, I’m sure, but Burrow also had his worst game of the season last year in game 1 against a Steelers defense at full strength. Allen killed them this year but, last year, the Steelers shut him down while at full strength.

That said, you really can’t shut these guys down. They shred everyone. You can only slow them down. I think this defense is capable of doing that. Question now is whether the offense can be semi-competent.

Reactions: Ski11585
Some, I’m sure, but Burrow also had his worst game of the season last year in game 1 against a Steelers defense at full strength. Allen killed them this year but, last year, the Steelers shut him down while at full strength.

That said, you really can’t shut these guys down. They shred everyone. You can only slow them down. I think this defense is capable of doing that. Question now is whether the offense can be semi-competent.

I'm not even counting the first game anymore, because fool me twice... ha.

But we were basically being toyed with against Buffalo and Philly. They're definitely going to get theirs, but those games were men vs boys. And then I think Cincy dropped like 38 on us without Higgins, didn't they?

Just felt like it was a terrible year for QB play. For instance, Oakland beats us easily if Carr can hit the ocean with a rock that night.

I do agree there's only so much you can do. But I also think we need to do what we can to get to that point. Definitely need another cornerback, a NT, and a depth MLB... bare minimum.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
The first four picks will be, in no particular order: CB, OT, NT, ILB.

Need to acquire more picks because PIT needs another receiver; corner. No 5th or 6th rounder needs to change. I want later in the draft the Hurricanes TE, Lowery. I don't want Gentry back.

Why in the world would they go after a Center? Cole did a pretty good job and Daniels has played Center in the pros as well.
Daniels will have a cap hit north of $11 million next year and Cole will be over $6 million. Neither is the long term answer at Center. If they can get a good one on a rookie deal to work in this year, that gives them room to maneuver. It isn’t their highest priority, but they met with Tippman from Wisconsin and Stromberg from Arkansas at the combine and might be able to get one of them in later rounds.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The first four picks will be, in no particular order: CB, OT, NT, ILB.

Need to acquire more picks because PIT needs another receiver; corner. No 5th or 6th rounder needs to change. I want later in the draft the Hurricanes TE, Lowery. I don't want Gentry back.
Will Mallory? He’d be a nice pickup late, especially if they can’t get a WR they like. Brenton Strange from PSU is another, and I think a little better in the run game, which is what I’d like to compliment Muth.

Must be a supply and demand thing then because $$$ put OTs way in front of centers.

There are just more guys who can physically play Center. Centers almost never have a 1 on 1 - they get help from a Guard - and don't have to play in space. And when a Center loses, the QB can usually see it coming and protect themselves. Can't do that with a loss on the blind side.

Every single GM would take a superior OT over a superior C.

Must be a supply and demand thing then because $$$ put OTs way in front of centers.
Left tackles get big bucks because they protect the QB's blind spot but going through the center is the most direct path to the QB and anything going on with the running game. Kendrick Green showed us all we need to know about crummy play at that position and how badly it hurts you.

i think CB class is deep so id go OT first pick and CB or best available or best available and CB with our bears pick and our 2nd..
This line of thinking is how the Steelers ended up with Dan Moore in a deep tackle class rather than a potentially talented starter. They don't need to force a cornerback in the first round, but there are 4-5 guys worth the 17th pick. The top goal is always to beat teams in your own division and right now that's finding a way to stop Cincinnati's high-powered passing offense.

This line of thinking is how the Steelers ended up with Dan Moore in a deep tackle class rather than a potentially talented starter. They don't need to force a cornerback in the first round, but there are 4-5 guys worth the 17th pick. The top goal is always to beat teams in your own division and right now that's finding a way to stop Cincinnati's high-powered passing offense.

I don't totally disagree, but I think Kenny's two concussions were a result of Moore missing his block. Steelers still have not adressed that OT position right, or did they?

I don't totally disagree, but I think Kenny's two concussions were a result of Moore missing his block. Steelers still have not adressed that OT position right, or did they?
At this point there's no option but to draft a tackle with one of the first 3. And should be with the one of the first two. We have 2 tackles only and they're both not good. Why would Weidl go so hard on the interior only to neglect the ends. He's not stupid.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
At this point there's no option but to draft a tackle with one of the first 3. And should be with the one of the first two. We have 2 tackles only and they're both not good. Why would Weidl go so hard on the interior only to neglect the ends. He's not stupid.

Maybe because Dotson was responsible for the sacks, not Moore??

Maybe because Dotson was responsible for the sacks, not Moore??
Dotson got replaced .....I don't see your point. Dotson sucking doesn't make the other two better or good

And Moore is credited with his fair share of sacks given up. A pretty terrible number of them over all

There weren't any good and remotely affordable OTs in free agency (there never are). Which is why drafting them is so important.

I think an OT at 17 or 32 is pretty much a lock. Either the dude from Georgia or the one from Oklahoma would probably be there at 17 or 32. Paris Johnson would probably require a trade up. Thank god for the Bear's pick lmao.

There weren't any good and remotely affordable OTs in free agency (there never are). Which is why drafting them is so important.

I think an OT at 17 or 32 is pretty much a lock. Either the dude from Georgia or the one from Oklahoma would probably be there at 17 or 32. Paris Johnson would probably require a trade up. Thank god for the Bear's pick lmao.
I'd seriously take one on each side if they're there. It's such an important position and especially important to get on a rookie contract.

The schedule played a big part of it. But, without considering how teams have changed during this FA period and the upcoming draft, this year’s schedule looked just as bad when it was announced. It’s very manageable for this team and our 2nd year QB.

That’s the thing with me. This franchise has been mediocre for a decade. And they’ve ignored the OL in the draft for that whole period. Coincidence? I think not. Glad Weidl is here. Never thought the Steelers of all organizations would need someone from a better run organization to come in and fix things. We are going to get a tackle early in this draft. I have no doubts.

Dotson got replaced .....I don't see your point. Dotson sucking doesn't make the other two better or good

And Moore is credited with his fair share of sacks given up. A pretty terrible number of them over all
And penalties.

I'd seriously take one on each side if they're there. It's such an important position and especially important to get on a rookie contract.

I'm cool with that. I basically encourage teams to take high impact positions all the time - QB, pass rush, pass block, pass coverage. Even if you think you're already set at that position, just keep hitting it.

The problem is that we're bad at both pass block and pass coverage so we probably need 1 of each. I guess it's not really that unsolvable since we have a lot of premium picks and there should be guys available at each. But my only hesitance in going double OT is that pass coverage is really important too and it's current a big question mark.

I'm cool with that. I basically encourage teams to take high impact positions all the time - QB, pass rush, pass block, pass coverage. Even if you think you're already set at that position, just keep hitting it.

The problem is that we're bad at both pass block and pass coverage so we probably need 1 of each. I guess it's not really that unsolvable since we have a lot of premium picks and there should be guys available at each. But my only hesitance in going double OT is that pass coverage is really important too and it's current a big question mark.
I'll be very interested how the board falls this year. I've never known more going into a draft. So it should be interesting.

That’s the thing with me. This franchise has been mediocre for a decade. And they’ve ignored the OL in the draft for that whole period. Coincidence? I think not. Glad Weidl is here. Never thought the Steelers of all organizations would need someone from a better run organization to come in and fix things. We are going to get a tackle early in this draft. I have no doubts.

Last OT tackle taken in the first round was in 1996. That's too long. But, the first round talet at OT might be gone by the time the Steelers pick.

Last OT tackle taken in the first round was in 1996. That's too long. But, the first round talet at OT might be gone by the time the Steelers pick.
I guess part of being mediocre is never drafting high enough to get the elite tackles in the draft. And then when we do decide to trade up, it’s for ILB’s. That’s faulty priorities.

I guess part of being mediocre is never drafting high enough to get the elite tackles in the draft. And then when we do decide to trade up, it’s for ILB’s. That’s faulty priorities.

OT has a pretty low first round bust rate. I think the Steelers still have Jamain Stephens on their minds, who was picked 29th. It's really time to take another stab, and if Broderick Jones is available thay almost have to take him, considering his All Pro potential.

Highest first round bust rate.. RB. So of course the Steelers went in that direction recently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT