ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers send next years

My hope is that if Rudolph is successful, Ben retires before the end of the season and cuts the drama off before it can start. Or that he quietly requests a trade in the off-season. My fear is that we head into next preseason with a rough situation akin to Favre and Rodgers (not saying Ben or Mason are at that caliber).
Ben is better than Favre ever was, way more successful, the only reason Favre put up bigger numbers is he didn't play for the Steelers who never really committed to the passing game much until way late in Ben's career. I'd welcome Ben back and no matter what Rudolph does, he's the de facto starter until proven otherwise. Rudolph would have to do something spectacular for me to not put Ben ahead of him, like 30+ TDs and over 4000 yards and win at least 10 games the rest of the way.

If Ben is done - it won’t matter much for next season to draft a qb.
They’ll sign some journeyman- thread water for a few seasons until they can target the next franchise qb.

If Ben is done, I'd purposely go 0-16 next year to draft Trevor Lawrence, but Rooneys are TOO STUPID to do a GENIUS thing like that :)

Im missing the correlation. If youre just speaking dollars and cents its double the cap hit if he retires, if Im not mistaken

Well, the Steelers can't keep him from retiring but the correlation is that everyone just assumed that the Steelers wouldn't trade AB because they'd carry a huge amount of dead cap money and they went and did it. With Ben hurt, they're taking something like a $40 million dollar cap hit for two players that aren't playing for them this year. It's not the end of the world. If they need to make room, they'll just restructure someone and kick the can down the road anyway.

Well, the Steelers can't keep him from retiring but the correlation is that everyone just assumed that the Steelers wouldn't trade AB because they'd carry a huge amount of dead cap money and they went and did it. With Ben hurt, they're taking something like a $40 million dollar cap hit for two players that aren't playing for them this year. It's not the end of the world. If they need to make room, they'll just restructure someone and kick the can down the road anyway.

Salary cap is going up, potentially in 2020. Jerry Jones is one of the lead negotiators. He probably expects it to go up quite a bit given his recent extensions to nearly everyone on his team. It's likely that the $40m will be less of a problem under the new CBA.

It will still be a huge problem however. AB cap hit will be gone but they will have to restructure a bunch of deals if Ben retires. A trade won't be any easier but they will have a ton of room in 2021 if Ben retires or is traded. They will likely try to move some of that money down the road by restructuring.

Actually, if Roethlisberger retires, note, not is forced to quit due to injury, but actually retires, then the Stillers can pull back a large percentage of his bonus money and reduce their cap hit to pretty much zero.

You can't sign a contract with a huge signing bonus and then quit long before the contract expires and expect to keep all the money. It doesn't work that way in real life, and it doesn't work that way in football either.

Salary cap is going up, potentially in 2020. Jerry Jones is one of the lead negotiators. He probably expects it to go up quite a bit given his recent extensions to nearly everyone on his team. It's likely that the $40m will be less of a problem under the new CBA.

I don't really think the Steelers have a terrible problem right now. I was responding to someone who said the Steelers are going to keep Ben from retiring because of his cap hit.

I don't really think the Steelers have a terrible problem right now. I was responding to someone who said the Steelers are going to keep Ben from retiring because of his cap hit.
Yes. The Steelers have some cracks in the foundation of late but they still have earned enough gravitas to earn confidence that they can weather the current storm. In 2 or 3 years and it is still chaos or worse, that's when you wonder if they are in trouble. Meanwhile to be honest I'm kinda intrigued of how they'll do with Rudolph. I think they can use it to gather the wagons and play with more discipline and focus. BR does not enjoy doing that, and hasn't had to since he got his drinking buddy hired as OC.

Yeah. Ben isnt retiring. Not now. Not because of this. Some of you are just get off on predicting falling skies

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT