ADVERTISEMENT

Steigerwald-Building Stadium best fit for Pitt

Ironically, Pitt had an ideal spot in Oakland... The spot where they built a baseball, softball and soccer field. Perfect. Awesome view of campus and downtown. If anything, I'd move half or most of that elsewhere in Oakland because it requires little/no room for spectators. And, then, put the same stadium there.

If they ever build one it will be there. It always seemed the logical place to me. It's cleared land ready for a stadium, and you can move baseball / softball behind cost. Soccer can play in the football stadium so you don't need that field anymore. Those facilities will need upgraded anyway in another 10 years. Any forethought by the university and they considered this already.

Building a stadium that can be used by a professional soccer team with MLS aspirations would be a great possibility, but only if Pitt can make the seats canary yellow and royal blue just to piss off Riverhound fans, of course. :cool:

Highmark Stadium only seats 3500, which is going to eventually be too small for the Riverhounds. Why not work with them on a proactive stadium plan? The Almono site, should have included in it's pitch to Amazon a new soccer/college football stadium to keep the area active and viable on weekends. Along with this is should be a proposed rail line connecting Hazlewood with Oakland.
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...ween-Oakland-Almono-site/stories/201508290058

A stadium in that location, would be used for other events like concerts, festivals, etc. It could be built as a shard space facility to allow for meeting rooms, convention space, etc.

No, it will only be used six times a year. How many times have I read that ridiculous statement against a new stadium?

I honestly think that the only reason reasonably-minded individuals are so against Pitt playing on campus is because those individuals don't want to drive to Oakland and prefer to drive to the North Shore. Take a shuttle like so many other college fans around the country already do!

Last edited:
No, it will only be used six times a year. How many times have I read that ridiculous statement against a new stadium?

I honestly think that the only reason reasonable-minded individuals are so against Pitt playing on campus is because those individuals don't want to drive to Oakland and prefer to drive to the North Shore. Take a shuttle like so many other college fans around the country already do!

Reasonable minded ?

If they ever build one it will be there. It always seemed the logical place to me. It's cleared land ready for a stadium, and you can move baseball / softball behind cost. Soccer can play in the football stadium so you don't need that field anymore. Those facilities will need upgraded anyway in another 10 years. Any forethought by the university and they considered this already.

Inclines and zip lines!

Reactions: HailToPitt725

I honestly think that the only reason reasonable-minded individuals are so against Pitt playing on campus is because those individuals don't want to drive to Oakland and prefer to drive to the North Shore. Take a shuttle like so many other college fans around the country already do!

Not enough because it hasn't sunk in. Compared to anything that could be reasonably built, there is a better, larger, more centrally located venue with better supporting infrastructure 3 miles away that will draw every single stadium event coming to the region, and there aren't that many such events anyway. What events was Pitt Stadium hosting after the 70s? The region isn't big enough for two stadium venues that would actually be able to generate net revenue. Period.

No one is against it. They're only against the stupidity of thinking it is going to happen, and the even bigger stupidity of thinking it is not happening because the university "just doesn't care enough." I'd rather be in Oakland. I'd have no problem securing parking passes in a lot near any hypothetical stadium to tailgate. Heck, I'd even be fine attending alumni tailgates in the Cost Center like they used to do. But it is not happening, and until the new-stadium ilk moves on, they'll continue to be miserable and sound completely foolish. Funny you mention shuttles, since anyone can catch a free shuttle from the campus to Heinz.

Last edited:

Do you know of another FBS football stadium used by a men's and women's soccer team? I don't, but I'm sincerely asking.

Pretty sure Syracuse used to but not if they do any longer. Good question.

Either way, given none of the other fields there require much seating, I'd imagine it'd be easier to find spots for them. Essentially just need fields and a small set of bleachers.

Not enough because it hasn't sunk in. Compared to anything that could be reasonably built, there is a better, larger, more centrally located venue with better supporting infrastructure 3 miles away that will draw every single stadium event coming to the region, and there aren't that many such events anyway. What events was Pitt Stadium hosting after the 70s? The region isn't big enough for two stadium venues that would actually be able to generate net revenue. Period.

No one is against it. They're only against the stupidity of thinking it is going to happen, and the even bigger stupidity of thinking it is not happening because the university "just doesn't care enough." I'd rather be in Oakland. I'd have no problem securing parking passes in a lot near any hypothetical stadium to tailgate. Heck, I'd even be fine attending alumni tailgates in the Cost Center like they used to do. But it is not happening, and until the new-stadium ilk moves on, they'll continue to be miserable and sound completely foolish. Funny you mention shuttles, since anyone can catch a free shuttle from the campus to Heinz.

Cincinnati is approximately the same size as Pittsburgh with two stadiums, Paul Brown Stadium and very old and recently renovated Nippert Stadium. The Univ. of Cincinnati knew the value to keeping and maintaining an on-campus stadium.

Paco, funny how no one ever mentioned when Pitt Stadium was around that it was foolish to have it when the Steelers played in Forbes Field and Three Rivers Stadium and yes, even played at Pitt Stadium.

Cincinnati is approximately the same size as Pittsburgh with two stadiums, Paul Brown Stadium and very old and recently renovated Nippert Stadium. The Univ. of Cincinnati knew the value to keeping and maintaining an on-campus stadium.

Paco, funny how no one ever mentioned when Pitt Stadium was around that it was foolish to have it when the Steelers played in Forbes Field and Three Rivers Stadium and yes, even played at Pitt Stadium.

Pitt isn't cincy or another campus. Cincy's stadium isn't built onto the side of a hill.

The university made a decision that it was better to build a basketball arena in that space than try to revive a stadium that was falling apart. That basketball facility also gets much more use ryan a renovated football stadium ever would.

Personally, I think the stadium should be on lower campus in Panther Hollow with the Cathedral in the background since there is a lot more room over there to build out more dorms, tailgate, etc. however at this point upper campus works for me. I never understood why they would put in baseball/soccer fields on campus when the sport that gets 25M from the ACC is off campus? Idiotic but that explains Steve Pederson who also wrecked Nebraska football and is no longer welcome on campus even though he's an alum. Soccer would absolutely play in the NEW stadium and baseball would need to be relocated or figure a way for them to play in the football stadium as well. Anyone that complains about traffic to Oakland for a football game is a fool. Do you think there isn't traffic at PSU, OSU and UM when they have 100,000 people plus on campus? Give me a break. That's such a garbage excuse. When you go to a football game you are there for at least a half to a full day. Also, I would think fans would much rather spend the day on campus walking around, shopping, eating, etc. besides just tailgating. The university is indeed a destination vs a Heinz parking lot. Tailgating would certainly work itself out all throughout Oakland. Granted tailgating won't be as convenient as an open parking lot at Heinz, I'm sure they will figure it out. This move is also great for the University businesses who would LOVE for the games to be back on campus. Ask the Pitt Shop, Chaz and all the local bars/businesses how much business they have lost when the games moved to Heinz. HUGE numbers! H2P!

Do you know of another FBS football stadium used by a men's and women's soccer team? I don't, but I'm sincerely asking.
I don't know, but I can't say I follow soccer that closely. I know plenty of football stadiums host soccer games across the country. There is no reason Pitt's teams can't play there.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I honestly think that the only reason reasonably-minded individuals are so against Pitt playing on campus is because those individuals don't want to drive to Oakland and prefer to drive to the North Shore. Take a shuttle like so many other college fans around the country already do!

They are against it because it would otherwise be admitting that the wrong decision was made. Still in the Cult of Steve. Hard to escape.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I don't think soccer would work at a large football stadium except for a once a year type of event which some schools do. It is an expense to utilize the grounds crews, etc. and resources of the facility for a lightly attended event. The better idea is to have the soccer field and track complex be tied together. What might make this project profitable for Pitt is that the size of the facility would make it somewhat unique to the region. It would compete more with PNC than Heinz and PNC is not a good venue for concerts due to the baseball schedule conflicting with tours. A large revenue stream within modern stadiums are conference and event centers that are utilized 24/7/365. They don't make money except possibly in rare cases mind you but they are not the money pits that the largest, oldest stadiums are.

I don't know, but I can't say I follow soccer that closely. I know plenty of football stadiums host soccer games across the country. There is no reason Pitt's teams can't play there.

They are actually several reasons. Practice fields would have to be built for soccer, unless you use artificial turf, but turf for soccer is different.

I can't think of any shared football/soccer venues in all of FBS.

I think we're fools for letting a guy like Steigerwald work everyone up when he and the rest of the sycophantic media in town ignore Pitt until it's time to pile on. Outside of the handful of guys who cover the program full time and can actually name starters, Pitt fans should probably ignore all of this noise. We can certainly argue the merits of a stadium without idiots stirring the pot. Seems to be the topic "du jour" since we got our "script" back. Just quit making this garbage relevant. Steigerwald probably doesn't even know the final score from Saturday and went right back to advancing his agenda and trolling idiots on Twitter after he fired off a couple of column inches that got a mild rise out of the PSU crowd at the PG.

didn't pitt soccer play at pitt stadium? I vaguely remember seeing a mens soccer game at pitt stadium. it's a pretty simplistic idea here, I mean it happens in high schools across the country. Yeah, a few extra lines in the field but it's not really that uncommon. is this really an issue?

didn't pitt soccer play at pitt stadium? I vaguely remember seeing a mens soccer game at pitt stadium. it's a pretty simplistic idea here, I mean it happens in high schools across the country. Yeah, a few extra lines in the field but it's not really that uncommon. is this really an issue?

They did but I dont think any schools play in football stadiums anymore.

Moving soccer, baseball, and softball to make room for a stadium will not even be a consideration. If Pitt wanted a stadium there, they'd be gone again. You might still be able to fit softball up there. Soccer can go down where the new Pitt IM Dome is and baseball can go on the Syria Mosque site

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
The Riverhounds do not have a viable franchise or owner to "work with." They are owned by a small-time Fayette County construction guy and are barely making ends meet.

The Riverhounds use the money they make from their youth travel teams to subsidize the pro team, because the pro team couldn't survive without it.

Right. The pro team doesn't make money and Schallenberger doesn't have the resources to spend money on them. This is why I say they aren't a viable MLS franchise, not with that owner, not in that stadium.

Rooney, Mario, or even a guy like Cuban need to take a look at Pittsburgh MLS.

The only way it makes sense honestly. Pitt should never build its own stadium unless it is multiuse, such as an MLS team.

With that said, Pittsburgh cannot support another pro team. The pirates struggle draw comparably to peer cities like Milwaukee even when they are good. In 2015 when the pirates won 98 games, they drew 2.5 million. The brewers lost 98 games and drew essentially the same number of fans.

Mathematically, the max attendance the Pirates can draw is 3.0 million... and that's if they sell out every single game. Their stadium only hold 37K. 2015 represents 85% capacity, which is fantastic for a baseball team.

This statement:

"The Univ. of Cincinnati knew the value to keeping and maintaining an on-campus stadium."

And what has it done for them? They're buried in the irrelevant AAC.

This statement:

"The Univ. of Cincinnati knew the value to keeping and maintaining an on-campus stadium."

And what has it done for them? They're buried in the irrelevant AAC.

What do you think is better for them? Averaging 35,000 fans in a 40,000 seat stadium, on campus? Or averaging 35,000 fans in a 65,000 seat stadium 5 miles away from campus?

Cincinnati being in the AAC has nothing to do with their stadium.

Reactions: PITTLAW and cbpitt2
What do you think is better for them? Averaging 35,000 fans in a 40,000 seat stadium, on campus? Or averaging 35,000 fans in a 65,000 seat stadium 5 miles away from campus?
No doubt. And if Pitt had space, it would be an option.

Pitt doesn't. So it isn't.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
No doubt. And if Pitt had space, it would be an option.

Pitt doesn't. So it isn't.

Eventually, if Pitt keeps claiming that they don't have the space, it will become true. We had the space with Pitt Stadium. We had the space before the new soccer and baseball facilities were built. We probably have the space now. But at some point, there will actually be no space.

Of course, they would prefer there being no space, because it is a convenient excuse to grab the free ACC football money and using it to prop up other programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PITTLAW
Eventually, if Pitt keeps claiming that they don't have the space, it will become true. We had the space with Pitt Stadium. We had the space before the new soccer and baseball facilities were built. We probably have the space now. But at some point, there will actually be no space.

Of course, they would prefer there being no space, because it is a convenient excuse to grab the free ACC football money and using it to prop up other programs.
Pitt needs to expand its campus footprint for academic and athletic purposes.

I think we're fools for letting a guy like Steigerwald work everyone up when he and the rest of the sycophantic media in town ignore Pitt until it's time to pile on. Outside of the handful of guys who cover the program full time and can actually name starters, Pitt fans should probably ignore all of this noise. We can certainly argue the merits of a stadium without idiots stirring the pot. Seems to be the topic "du jour" since we got our "script" back. Just quit making this garbage relevant. Steigerwald probably doesn't even know the final score from Saturday and went right back to advancing his agenda and trolling idiots on Twitter after he fired off a couple of column inches that got a mild rise out of the PSU crowd at the PG.
We were already "worked up" on the stadium issue. We didn't need to be motivated by Steigerwald. The issue won't go away... ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: PITTLAW

Don't listen to anything this guy authors on the stadium issue...he idolizes Nordy and views every issue related to Pitt athletics through Nordy's colored glasses. His candid opinion is that if Nordy decide to take an action, the action had to be right!

They are actually several reasons. Practice fields would have to be built for soccer, unless you use artificial turf, but turf for soccer is different.

I can't think of any shared football/soccer venues in all of FBS.

I'd assume the field would be turf and that football will continue to use the South Side practice facility so not much conflict. Also regarding the turf:The men's and women's soccer facility includes the 735-seat Ambrose Urbanic Field. Used for both practice and competition, the facility includes lighting and a press box. The soccer pitch will use the FIFA-certified "Duraspine" version of FieldTurf as found in Gillette Stadium and Qwest Field.

If we were 3-0, the attendance would still have sucked, although you're right that the misery index would be lower.

Any attendance or stadium issues can't even be addressed until the team starts to win. Right now, Pitt's AD has to focus every extra dollar to improving the entire department. The football team has a place to play for now. It needs to win before Lyke is ever going to be able to entertain any campus stadium or try to drum up that money.

Reactions: sibleyfan91
Any attendance or stadium issues can't even be addressed until the team starts to win. Right now, Pitt's AD has to focus every extra dollar to improving the entire department. The football team has a place to play for now. It needs to win before Lyke is ever going to be able to entertain any campus stadium or try to drum up that money.
I agree. I've always said that the likliest time, if ever, for Pitt to entertain the construction of a new stadium would be in the midst of a clear upswing in the FB program. However, one could also take the view that launching a stadium drive might cause an upswing in support and recruiting.

I agree. I've always said that the likliest time, if ever, for Pitt to entertain the construction of a new stadium would be in the midst of a clear upswing in the FB program. However, one could also take the view that launching a stadium drive might cause an upswing in support and recruiting.

I get the logic. But I think a lot of alumni and fans aren't investing in anything until there's some proof the university is serious about being a consistent top 25 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT