ADVERTISEMENT

Stillers n' at

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I have been pointing this out for the last few years. The Steelers poor drafting has caught up with them. I really think as Dan Rooney left (the earth) and Mike Tomlin got more power, they went away from the "Steeler Way" when it comes to drafting. The Steelers use to have boring drafts. Picking guys like DeCastro and Faneca, Casey Hampton, Cam Heyward in the 1st rd. Now they desperately reach for need and shiny new toys.

Here are the first 4 rounds since 2015:
2015-1 Bud Dupree LB Mostly a bust
2015-2 Senquez Colson. DB Complete bust
2015-3 Sammie Coates WR Complete bust
2015-4 Doran Grant DB Complete bust

2016-1 Artie Burns DB Complete bust
2016-2 Sean Davis DB Complete bust
2016-3 Javon Hargraves DL Good player, but starred elsewhere after free agency
2016-4 Jerald Hawkins OL Complete bust

2017-1 TJ Watt LB Hall of Famer
2017-2 Ju Ju WR Good pick
2017-3 Cam Sutton DB Meh pick, serviceable
2017-3 James Conner RB Good pick
2017-4 Josh Dobbs QB Wasted pick

2018-1 Terrell Edmunds. DB Avg player, reach though
2018-2 James Washington WR Bust
2018-3 Mason Rudolph Wasted pick
2018-4 Chuks Okafor OL Decent pick

2019-1 Devin Bush LB Bust. Just horrible and cost picks to move up to get.
2019-3 Diontae Johnson WR. Despite drops good pick
2019-3 Justin Layne DB Complete bust
2019-4 Benny Snell RB Bust

2020 1st rd pick traded for Minkah Fitzpatrick. Good move.
2020-2 Chase Claypoole WR. I am still not sure on him
2020-3 Alex Highsmith. LB Meh
2020-4 Anthony McFarland RB Bust
2020-4 Kevin Dotson OL Looks to be a bust

2021-1 Najee Harris RB Really underwhelming so far
2021-2 Pat Friermuth TE I think he is going to be good.
2021-2 Kendrick Green OL Just garbage
2021-4 Dan Green OL Not exactly evoking Anthony Munoz comparisons is he??

2022 is too soon to evaluate.

But man, that is some really, really poor drafting. It is very reminiscent of the Steelers drafts in the 1980's.

I have been pointing this out for the last few years. The Steelers poor drafting has caught up with them. I really think as Dan Rooney left (the earth) and Mike Tomlin got more power, they went away from the "Steeler Way" when it comes to drafting. The Steelers use to have boring drafts. Picking guys like DeCastro and Faneca, Casey Hampton, Cam Heyward in the 1st rd. Now they desperately reach for need and shiny new toys.

But man, that is some really, really poor drafting. It is very reminiscent of the Steelers drafts in the 1980's.
It’s usually now that someone will reply nonsense like “Tomlin has nothing to do with the draft, that’s on the GM and scouts.” Similar to those I heard on calls yesterday proclaiming that “Tomlin is only there as a motivator; these bad teams are the fault of the OC and DC.” Then in the same breath will proclaim “he’s a HOF coach.” Those aren’t mutually exclusive things, folks.

We all get that he’s Teflon. But believe me I’m not here pushing for him to be fired, until I get a sense of who the replacement could be (which is what I always say about Pitt HC as well). If they would look to replace him with Flores, which seems like an obvious idea, what would he bring to the table that Tomlin doesn’t? And if that isn’t much, who would be the most viable guys on the market which could come in and make a difference? Please, no more of the same recycled insular NFL veteran coaches either. And certainly none of Belicheck’s coaching tree.

Reactions: quip
Wow, just wow. As you say, very reminiscent of the drafting in the 80's that did in Noll.

The only one I would argue with is Bud Dupree. Had a good year when his contract was up for renewal, then signed elsewhere. So I wouldn't label him a bust.

I wonder what OL that are all-pros were passed up for guys like Colson (who was that? not even that long ago and have no recollection).

Reactions: pitt90seven
I don't think I'd call Sutton a bust... he's a pretty good player.

The biggest problem I see is that you win in the trenches, and we largely ignore them. I did an analysis a few weeks ago and found that we took 16 offensive linemen in 21 years in the first three rounds from the time Cowher got here until 2012. And a lot of those picks were in the first two rounds.

Since 2012, we've taken exactly two offensive linemen in the first three rounds. Two. And they were both third round guys (pretty sure Chuks was a three, not a four).

And I don't see many d-linemen on your list either. So this is no surprise. You win in the trenches at all levels.

The biggest problem I see is that you win in the trenches, and we largely ignore them. I did an analysis a few weeks ago and found that we took 16 offensive linemen in 21 years in the first three rounds from the time Cowher got here until 2012. And a lot of those picks were in the first two rounds.

Since 2012, we've taken exactly two offensive linemen in the first three rounds. Two. And they were both third round guys (pretty sure Chuks was a three, not a four).

And I don't see many d-linemen on your list either. So this is no surprise. You win in the trenches at all levels.

in recruits defense, he did give sutton a "meh" rather than bust 😃

When reminded someone like Dobbs was a fourth rounder, it really elicits a SMH. Indeed, what an egregious waste. He seems a good guy and not totally without talent. But the Steelers had no intention at all, not from the start, of ever using him. Did they draft him solely to emulate the stereotypical “mobile RPO” QB on the scout team in practice? If so that was never mentioned. It really seems like he was an attractive bauble that the team took to pat itself on the back for being smarter than everyone else ( which they’ve loved thinking of themselves as since 1974).

And with Dobbs and many of the others on the list above, those players likely would have still been there numerous rounds below where the Steelers took them. All teams pick busts but with most of the list above, it’s hard to imagine other team’s right after the Steelers were ready to pull the trigger if we didn’t.

When reminded someone like Dobbs was a fourth rounder, it really elicits a SMH. Indeed, what an egregious waste. He seems a good guy and not totally without talent. But the Steelers had no intention at all, not from the start, of ever using him. Did they draft him solely to emulate the stereotypical “mobile RPO” QB on the scout team in practice? If so that was never mentioned. It really seems like he was an attractive bauble that the team took to pat itself on the back for being smarter than everyone else ( which they’ve loved thinking of themselves as since 1974).

And with Dobbs and many of the others on the list above, those players likely would have still been there numerous rounds below where the Steelers took them. All teams pick busts but with most of the list above, it’s hard to imagine other team’s right after the Steelers were ready to pull the trigger if we didn’t.

Backup QBs in the mid-rounds is the Steeler way. Dobbs, Landry Jones, Tee Martin, St. Pierre, Omar Jacobs, Dennis Dixon, etc.

Personally, I'd rather just sign someone off the scrap heap for the league minimum and try to use those picks on a lottery ticket elsewhere. But the odds of us drafting anyone meaningful in those spots are low anyway. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we make a good pick in the top 5, let alone in round 5, at this next one.

I don't see the big deal with this one. 4th round picks usually amount to nothing. You're happy if you get a backup player there. If they thought Dobbs had Dak Prescott potential, its worth a day 3 pick, even if what actually happened was by far the most likely outcome.

Their biggest problem has been just totally botching the 1st two rounds recently. 2022 looks to have corrected that, but 2021 was awful. Harris isn't even good, but if he was the best RB in the league it still might have been a bad pick. Freirmeueth is a solid possession TE but he's not a difference maker. We made two luxury picks as multiple more important positions (CB and OL) were in desperate need of talent infusion.

Idk who is to blame. We tend to hire cheap coaches, which might be an ownership problem. I don't think we draft Najee Harris without Rooney loudly complaining that we need to fix our run game that offseason. In any case, we are gonna be pretty bad for a few years here, unless we really crush this next draft.

I don't see the big deal with this one. 4th round picks usually amount to nothing. You're happy if you get a backup player there. If they thought Dobbs had Dak Prescott potential, its worth a day 3 pick, even if what actually happened was by far the most likely outcome.

Their biggest problem has been just totally botching the 1st two rounds recently. 2022 looks to have corrected that, but 2021 was awful. Harris isn't even good, but if he was the best RB in the league it still might have been a bad pick. Freirmeueth is a solid possession TE but he's not a difference maker. We made two luxury picks as multiple more important positions (CB and OL) were in desperate need of talent infusion.

Idk who is to blame. We tend to hire cheap coaches, which might be an ownership problem. I don't think we draft Najee Harris without Rooney loudly complaining that we need to fix our run game that offseason. In any case, we are gonna be pretty bad for a few years here, unless we really crush this next draft.
Fair enough. I still feel they shouldn’t draft anyone that they think there is no chance in hades will play, and it seemed that way from the get go with Hobbs. And fourth is still a round you should expect to get someone who can play, even as depth. Dobbs (and others such as Cam’s brother, as low a round as that was) have been boutique picks, and this team has not been good enough to warrant wasting them.

Reactions: h2p_5150
Fair enough. I still feel they shouldn’t draft anyone that they think there is no chance in hades will play, and it seemed that way from the get go with Hobbs. And fourth is still a round you should expect to get someone who can play, even as depth. Dobbs (and others such as Cam’s brother, as low a round as that was) have been boutique picks, and this team has not been good enough to warrant wasting them.
it also seemed that way with Rudolph as a 3rd rd pick. They said he was graded out as a first rd pick, ok, laughable but ok but so what, if we had no plans to play him at all. The pick didnt make sense then and especially doesnt make sense now.

it also seemed that way with Rudolph as a 3rd rd pick. They said he was graded out as a first rd pick, ok, laughable but ok but so what, if we had no plans to play him at all. The pick didnt make sense then and especially doesnt make sense now.
They said the same about Claypool

I think that one was more legit. They were taking a chance on someone they thought could be Ben's successor. And if he was good enough to do so, he probably would have pushed Ben out a year sooner. I don't fault them as much on that one (although the eval was obviously way off).

I was reminded by a senior executive at the corporation I worked for that besides making sales quotas and performance based achievement goals, the other thing that leaders are judged on are bringing talent into the organization. Forget the players in the field for a minute and just review the coaching hires that Tomlin has made in the last 3-5 years. He sucks at talent identification. Too bad because that’s the true life blood of the organization. His coaching tree looks like that dwarf white pine from Charlie Browns Christmas

I was reminded by a senior executive at the corporation I worked for that besides making sales quotas and performance based achievement goals, the other thing that leaders are judged on are bringing talent into the organization. Forget the players in the field for a minute and just review the coaching hires that Tomlin has made in the last 3-5 years. He sucks at talent identification. Too bad because that’s the true life blood of the organization. His coaching tree looks like that dwarf white pine from Charlie Browns Christmas

Our organization has been really weird with assistant hires. We're like a school that promotes its janitors to be teachers.

Maybe after a couple 5-12 years the Steelers will tarp their empty seats. I lived through 17 non-playoff years as a Bills fan. You guys will be fine.

i've said it for years - they completely neglected the OL for a decade. DL didn't get much love at all, either. you don't take a RB and TE in the first two rounds when you can't run the ball. you can find any schmuk to get 3 yards/carry when your OL stinks.

tomlin makes a ton of money. money isn't a problem in the NFL - everyone wants a shot to be promoted. they just make dumb hires. fichtner, that idiot they promoted to DC who looks like foghorn leghorn, canada totally sucks. no one else wanted any of these guys. the only good one was arians and they ran him out of town.

Yeah the coaching staff is really poor. Many of the guys who left never even sniffed another pro job.

I have mentioned Rooney and cheap, but when you think about it, Cowher's staffs were usually pretty strong and so many of this coaches went on to be head guys. So I think this is a Tomlin thing as far as the subpar hires.

Plus this franchise again lost its fastball when they lost Dan Rooney. He's the guy who hired Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. He's the guy who convinced the Steelers to draft Ben. ArtII unfortunately seems much more like his grandfather than his dad.

I heard a great description of Najee Harris so far. "He's the type of back who can take a 3 yard run and turn it into a 3 yard gain."

He doesn't make anyone miss, he doesn't break tackles and he certainly doesn't have a high speed gear. I am sorry, bad OL or not, a true 1st rd worthy running back occasionally makes some plays.

I heard a great description of Najee Harris so far. "He's the type of back who can take a 3 yard run and turn it into a 3 yard gain."

He doesn't make anyone miss, he doesn't break tackles and he certainly doesn't have a high speed gear. I am sorry, bad OL or not, a true 1st rd worthy running back occasionally makes some plays.
he is walter abercrombie (21st century addition) on so many levels. not bad, just not good. he is going to get you exactly what you blocked for, nothing more.

Yeah the coaching staff is really poor. Many of the guys who left never even sniffed another pro job.

I have mentioned Rooney and cheap, but when you think about it, Cowher's staffs were usually pretty strong and so many of this coaches went on to be head guys. So I think this is a Tomlin thing as far as the subpar hires.

Plus this franchise again lost its fastball when they lost Dan Rooney. He's the guy who hired Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. He's the guy who convinced the Steelers to draft Ben. ArtII unfortunately seems much more like his grandfather than his dad.

This. Cowher produced several head coaches (not many were real successful though). Who from Tomlin's staff have gone on to bigger things? Not sure I would count Arians. Haley was probably the biggest name (and most successful) coach that Tomlin brought in. Seems like most are now yes-men to Tomlin.

He's certainly closer to Trent Richardson than Derrick Henry, it seems.

The speed thing is what really gets me. Just no acceleration at all.

I'm pretty sure Dan Rooney lost his fastball at some point. The Steelers have won two Super Bowls since 1980. Dan Rooney died in 2017.

I'm pretty sure Dan Rooney lost his fastball at some point. The Steelers have won two Super Bowls since 1980. Dan Rooney died in 2017.
In fairness........they still had the best record in football during that time and went to more Conference championships than anyone else. The biggest issues was at the QB position and then...the Brady/Belichick cock blocking of them getting to the Super Bowl.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
To me the most glaring omission is we have zero all pro OL. Seems like for decades we always had one or 2 and now nothing even close.

Highsmith is not meh
That’s silly
Rest of the list is fine

now go to the draft classes with faneca, Hampton , and do a similar assessment
Folks like to pretend we hit on our picks consistently

I mean - dri archer , chris Rainey , Curtis brown , ziggy hood , Kraig urbik, Limas sweed, Bruce Davis
Lots of no names and no impact players in the first 3 rounds more times than not

revisionist history is fun

I have been right there with you.

I think the Steelers have gotten to the point where they place so much trust in Tomlin that they've let him elevate a bunch of average coaches without really looking around the league very much and player evaluation is part of that equation.

2017: Steelers pick JuJu and Dion Dawkins (OT) goes with the very next pick to Buffalo. He was a pro bowler, last year. Six picks after that the Rams take Cooper Kupp. Steelers take Josh Dobbs and George Kittle comes off the board 11 picks later. Steelers take Brian Allen and Green Bay picks up a late round RB named Aaron Jones soon after.

This is how it's gone. The argument has been, "well, they're taking the best player available," but they really aren't. I think they get enamored with players and loose any sort of objective reasoning. The irony of all of this is that it appears the 2022 draft has a chance to be okay. See if Austin can make a difference when he gets healthy and if DeMarvin Leal develops. Pickett and Pickens seem to be going well, so far.

Highsmith is not meh
That’s silly
Rest of the list is fine

now go to the draft classes with faneca, Hampton , and do a similar assessment
Folks like to pretend we hit on our picks consistently

I mean - dri archer , chris Rainey , Curtis brown , ziggy hood , Kraig urbik, Limas sweed, Bruce Davis
Lots of no names and no impact players in the first 3 rounds more times than not

revisionist history is fun

It's a fair point. They've always had some clunkers. Lots of Pro Bowlers interspersed during those times, though. Now it just feels like they're getting nothing way too often. The "highlights" of 2018 - 2021 are Edmunds, Okorafor, Dioantae Johnson, Claypool, Highsmith, Harris, Moore, Dotson, and Friermuth. That's four years without drafting an above-average starter at any position. That's bad drafting.

Agreed. This team/system clearly needs players that can rush the passer. What h
They said the same about Claypool
Clearly their grading system needs to be evaluated too

In fairness........they still had the best record in football during that time and went to more Conference championships than anyone else. The biggest issues was at the QB position and then...the Brady/Belichick cock blocking of them getting to the Super Bowl.
They still have one of the best records in all of football. If I'm remembering correctly the Minnesota Vikings rank in the top five. And the Steelers current 18 year run with no sub 500 record is nine better than Kansas City's current streak. The Steelers 18 year run ranks second all time to a 21 year stretch for Dallas.

I totally get that Steeler fans do not know how to act with their season appearing to be over already.

It's a fair point. They've always had some clunkers. Lots of Pro Bowlers interspersed during those times, though. Now it just feels like they're getting nothing way too often. The "highlights" of 2018 - 2021 are Edmunds, Okorafor, Dioantae Johnson, Claypool, Highsmith, Harris, Moore, Dotson, and Friermuth. That's four years without drafting an above-average starter at any position. That's bad drafting.
There's always "clunkers". I mean as lauded as the 1974 draft was, which was the single best draft in NFL history, in 1975 they didn't draft ONE guy who even started a game for them. So even when they were mostly hitting on picks, they had a clunker. It is when you start putting 3 out of 5 years of mostly misses at the top of the draft that it starts to have an effect. And that is where they have mostly been since ~2013, they have many more misses than hits. That is not "revisionist history" that is the truth.

2010-12 they picked no higher than 18, but got DeCastro, Heyward and Pouncey. That is alot of Pro Bowls. The previous two years was meh with Ziggy Hood and Rashard Mendenhall.

But man, the 1st two rds from 2000-2007 were friggin money.
2000 1 and 2 Plaxico and Marvel Smith. Plex was Plex, but still a helluva player.
2001 1 and 2 Casey Hampton and Kendrick Bell. Hampton was a cornerstone of those defenses and Bell flamed out, but still was good enough to be Defensive ROY
2002 1 and 2 Kendall Simmons at pick 30 was a solid OL and many year starter. Antwan Randal El was more than a serviceable 3rd WR and return guy.
2003 1 and 2 Troy Polemalu and Alonzo Jackson. Jackson was a complete bust but Troy was a HOFer
2004 1 and 2 Ben and Ricardo Colclugh. Colclugh was a total bust, but Ben is a HOFer and top 10 all time QB. And the 3rd rd pick was Max Starks
2005 1 and 2 Heath Miller and Bryant McFadden. Again, solid picks at 30 and 62.
2006 1 and 2 Santonio and Anthony Smith. Smith was another DB bust, but Santonio was great and helped the Steelers in a SB
2007 1 and 2 Lawrence Timmons and Lamar Woodley. Again, instant starters and Pro Bowlers at times with their career.

That's a helluva run.

The Browns/Bengals covered a multitude of sins for much of the past 15 years. Having Ben was good for an extra win or two a season as well. Those gimmies are gone now.

I’m hoping the Steelers bring in Zac Robinson or Darrell Bevell once they fire Canada. That should at least give Pickett a chance. Focus the draft around the offensive line and pick up a guy or two in free agency. I think this can still be a quick fix.

It’s usually now that someone will reply nonsense like “Tomlin has nothing to do with the draft, that’s on the GM and scouts.” Similar to those I heard on calls yesterday proclaiming that “Tomlin is only there as a motivator; these bad teams are the fault of the OC and DC.” Then in the same breath will proclaim “he’s a HOF coach.” Those aren’t mutually exclusive things, folks.

We all get that he’s Teflon. But believe me I’m not here pushing for him to be fired, until I get a sense of who the replacement could be (which is what I always say about Pitt HC as well). If they would look to replace him with Flores, which seems like an obvious idea, what would he bring to the table that Tomlin doesn’t? And if that isn’t much, who would be the most viable guys on the market which could come in and make a difference? Please, no more of the same recycled insular NFL veteran coaches either. And certainly none of Belicheck’s coaching tree.
Small sample size but I was hoping Flores would put his stamp on the defense. But the defense is God awful. So no thanks.

give me a Sean Payton offensive mind to come in and bring the best out of Kenny.

I was the first guy here way back when to bring up the Tomlin coaching tree issue. His guys weren’t getting head coaching jobs. People can point out Arians, and that’s one. But they also ran him out of town.

but now, as you said, his guys aren’t even getting other jobs. Lol. They’re out of football.

I remain objective on Tomlin and am simply pointing out his major weakness above. But I also said we’d learn more about him, for better or worse, when he’s no longer joined at the hip with Ben. And so far, it’s not good.

Tomlin has plenty of responsibility but I think Colbert has a significantly high level of responsibility. Please remember when Colbert announced his retirement he stuck around through the draft. If he had minimal input Art Jr would have said hit the road pal. So Colbert was a significant player and so will his hand picked replacement.

The Steelers have been lucky to be in the same division as the browns and Bengals. That’s was 4 automatic wins they spilt with the Ravens.Go 5-5 with the rest of the schedule 10 -6 guaranteed.
3 playoff wins in 10 years,Tied with 6 other teams for wins over that time.Sounds like average to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT