ADVERTISEMENT

Stillers n' at

You and I agree on a lot and I'm fairly critical of the Steelers recent drafts. But I think that you can play this game with a lot of players. JuJu was a good pick. They got a ton of value out of him before he got hurt and unfortunately he was never the same guy after that. The Dobbs pick was egregious though.

I do agree with you that they hyper fixate on traits and that causes them to lose sight of the big picture on a player. That was the issue with taking Kendrick Green instead of a more established IOL like Humphrey or Dickerson. They wanted a super athlete at C because that's what they had with Pouncey. But the problem is that Green is a bad football player and so small that his athleticism is meaningless.

NFL teams do this all the time. "We need a fast WR to stretch the defense!" And they draft Henry Ruggs in the top 15 picks. But if all you need is a trait then get the cheapest one possible. Take Quez Watkins in the 5th and have him run wind sprints out there. But any pick in the first 90 needs to be one that is a good football player first and a trait for your scheme second. Because you can always change the scheme a little to take advantage of what a good player can do. But a bad player with a trait for your scheme is often of little value.
The 2021 draft is looking more and more like a disaster at a moment when the franchise really needed to make a couple of good OL picks.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The 2021 draft is looking more and more like a disaster at a moment when the franchise really needed to make a couple of good OL picks.

I hated it at the time and hate even more how right I was. Love Najee, think he's a great guy, but that was just a terrible pick. We probably could have traded that 1st for a super impact young player if we didn't like the OL there.

I also think Pat F in the 2nd was a misuse of resources, although given the cost and his performance, the value over replacement is a lot higher.

I hated it at the time and hate even more how right I was. Love Najee, think he's a great guy, but that was just a terrible pick. We probably could have traded that 1st for a super impact young player if we didn't like the OL there.

I also think Pat F in the 2nd was a misuse of resources, although given the cost and his performance, the value over replacement is a lot higher.
I was feeling pretty certain that they would trade back and just go for more picks given the linemen that were taken earlier. But even then, I thought, okay, here is Creed Humphrey all te'ed up for the second pick and they take Freiermuth. Instead, after the Steelers pick, KC takes Nick Bolton to play MLB with the pick they got from Baltimore by trading back and THEN they pick Creed Humphrey to play C with their regular pick. Both made the Pro Football Writer's all-rookie team and both positions have been a headache for the Steelers.

Ben won one Super Bowl with Tomlin and both were with a roster full of talented players that Tomlin had little to do with. Eight playoff wins in his first four years. After that, they missed the playoffs five times and won less playoff games than they did those first four years. The Steelers did little to nothing in the post season while Ben was playing at his peak.
That's oversimplifying though isn't it? New England has only knocked Tomlin's Stillers out of the playoff once. They have given up what 42, 48 and 45 points in their last 3 playoff losses. Two of those were to Jacksonville and Cleveland. He lost to the Tebow Broncos.

I mean not to pile on, but Mike T's warts are showing and it has been longer than people care to admit.

McCarthy's record is relevant to Tomlin's. One guy got fired, the other guy somehow got promoted and has more power.

Reactions: pittdan77

If you look at that draft, it was why the Steelers were between a rock and hard place. There has been no OL outside of Humphrey who was drafted in the first couple of rounds that has made a real impact. There wasn't much, Greg Rousseau of Buffalo would look good on the Steelers DL.

But this is what happens when you claw, scratch and fight just to try and make the playoffs. You draft 24. But even Christian Darrisaw and Alex Leatherwood, the two OL picked ahead of Najee aren't exactly lighting it up.

Some years are just poor draft years.

There's always "clunkers". I mean as lauded as the 1974 draft was, which was the single best draft in NFL history, in 1975 they didn't draft ONE guy who even started a game for them. So even when they were mostly hitting on picks, they had a clunker. It is when you start putting 3 out of 5 years of mostly misses at the top of the draft that it starts to have an effect. And that is where they have mostly been since ~2013, they have many more misses than hits. That is not "revisionist history" that is the truth.

2010-12 they picked no higher than 18, but got DeCastro, Heyward and Pouncey. That is alot of Pro Bowls. The previous two years was meh with Ziggy Hood and Rashard Mendenhall.

But man, the 1st two rds from 2000-2007 were friggin money.
2000 1 and 2 Plaxico and Marvel Smith. Plex was Plex, but still a helluva player.
2001 1 and 2 Casey Hampton and Kendrick Bell. Hampton was a cornerstone of those defenses and Bell flamed out, but still was good enough to be Defensive ROY
2002 1 and 2 Kendall Simmons at pick 30 was a solid OL and many year starter. Antwan Randal El was more than a serviceable 3rd WR and return guy.
2003 1 and 2 Troy Polemalu and Alonzo Jackson. Jackson was a complete bust but Troy was a HOFer
2004 1 and 2 Ben and Ricardo Colclugh. Colclugh was a total bust, but Ben is a HOFer and top 10 all time QB. And the 3rd rd pick was Max Starks
2005 1 and 2 Heath Miller and Bryant McFadden. Again, solid picks at 30 and 62.
2006 1 and 2 Santonio and Anthony Smith. Smith was another DB bust, but Santonio was great and helped the Steelers in a SB
2007 1 and 2 Lawrence Timmons and Lamar Woodley. Again, instant starters and Pro Bowlers at times with their career.

That's a helluva run.

here's the list. so many whiffs in there. you need a couple of solid starters out of every draft.

Watt is now what everyone said James Conner is … plays so hard, he’s injury prone. It was used as the main reason to jettison JC and (waste) a first round pick on a new RB. Watt on the other hand gets a huge new deal plus the sweetheart deal for his worthless brother. Yeah, Watt is a better player than JC but when both are injured, which is often, they’re exactly the same,
The oline has not been the problem with the offense

he is walter abercrombie (21st century addition) on so many levels. not bad, just not good. he is going to get you exactly what you blocked for, nothing more.
Hey man I lived through Walter Abercrombie. "22 was light years better last season. This year he will suck because of his Liz Frank injury. Maybe, maybe towards the end of the season he might get back to 100%.

If you look at that draft, it was why the Steelers were between a rock and hard place. There has been no OL outside of Humphrey who was drafted in the first couple of rounds that has made a real impact. There wasn't much, Greg Rousseau of Buffalo would look good on the Steelers DL.

But this is what happens when you claw, scratch and fight just to try and make the playoffs. You draft 24. But even Christian Darrisaw and Alex Leatherwood, the two OL picked ahead of Najee aren't exactly lighting it up.

Some years are just poor draft years.

Don't disagree but that didn't preclude us from trading back or even trading out. There were guys on the board - especially Rashod Bateman and Elijah Moore - who were coveted in that area of the draft. Why couldn't we do what the Eagles did and trade for someone like AJ Brown? Obviously that was a unique circumstance since he wanted a new deal but we should have been able to use a top 25 pick in a more effective way than taking a RB, even if the most efficient outcome for us (OL help) may have been off the table.

Don't disagree but that didn't preclude us from trading back or even trading out. There were guys on the board - especially Rashod Bateman and Elijah Moore - who were coveted in that area of the draft. Why couldn't we do what the Eagles did and trade for someone like AJ Brown? Obviously that was a unique circumstance since he wanted a new deal but we should have been able to use a top 25 pick in a more effective way than taking a RB, even if the most efficient outcome for us (OL help) may have been off the table.
You think trading a first rounder was a better option.

That's oversimplifying though isn't it? New England has only knocked Tomlin's Stillers out of the playoff once. They have given up what 42, 48 and 45 points in their last 3 playoff losses. Two of those were to Jacksonville and Cleveland. He lost to the Tebow Broncos.

I mean not to pile on, but Mike T's warts are showing and it has been longer than people care to admit.

McCarthy's record is relevant to Tomlin's. One guy got fired, the other guy somehow got promoted and has more power.
That tweet that compared McCarthy to Tomlin was really eye opening. I don’t know why one coach is regarded as a HOF lock and the other can’t keep a job. And every HOF voter and pundit I have heard truly has him as a lock even if he has a couple bad seasons.

I have always said that Tomlin is a good to very good coach, but he’s not a great coach. I think the word great is tossed around too easily. The HOF should be reserved for greatness. So if that’s the case, I must be wrong on Coach T. Right?

Yeah the coaching staff is really poor. Many of the guys who left never even sniffed another pro job.

I have mentioned Rooney and cheap, but when you think about it, Cowher's staffs were usually pretty strong and so many of this coaches went on to be head guys. So I think this is a Tomlin thing as far as the subpar hires.

Plus this franchise again lost its fastball when they lost Dan Rooney. He's the guy who hired Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. He's the guy who convinced the Steelers to draft Ben. ArtII unfortunately seems much more like his grandfather than his dad.

I mean, I agree with all of this. but I'm confused how the owner of the team convinced the club to draft ben. did he argue with himself?

You think trading a first rounder was a better option.

Than taking a RB who is:

- 63rd in true yards per carry
- 45 in explosive run rate
- 41st in yards created per touch
- 120th in expected points
- 19th in forcing missed tackles

Hell yeah I do. Najee is Trent Richardson, and his best ability seems to be his ability to make it to the field rather than his performance on it.

Are you seriously arguing that using a 1st round pick on Najee Harris was better idea than trading the pick? We lit it on fire instead.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Than taking a RB who is:

Hell yeah I do. Najee is Trent Richardson, and his best ability seems to be his ability to make it to the field rather than his performance on it.

Are you seriously arguing that using a 1st round pick on Najee Harris was better idea than trading the pick? We lit it on fire instead.
The Steelers frequently think they are more clever than the rest of the league, so the sacred rule of not drafting a running back very high didn’t faze them. It should have. Harris is fine and with a really good line he’d be great, but that’s true of almost any back who had success in major college football. Honestly it is likely wiser to look for a back that punched above his weight class, aka who did well playing for a lower P5 or G5 that frequently played top level P5 teams, and he still was able to perform well. Because that is precisely the situation a Steeler running back faces right now. A G5 OL facing P5 quality defenses.

The Steelers frequently think they are more clever than the rest of the league, so the sacred rule of not drafting a running back very high didn’t faze them. It should have. Harris is fine and with a really good line he’d be great, but that’s true of almost any back who had success in major college football. Honestly it is likely wiser to look for a back that punched above his weight class, aka who did well playing for a lower P5 or G5 that frequently played top level P5 teams, and he still was able to perform well. Because that is precisely the situation a Steeler running back faces right now. A G5 OL facing P5 quality defenses.
he would not be great with a good O line. he has zero burst, very poor vision, not elusive with below avg speed. he's strong, sure. but even with a really good O line, he would be an avg back. that's the problem.

That’s what makes the notion amusing that Tomlin is some kind of coach whisperer. He’s fine. He’s a good, solid coach. He’s just not an elite coach, or he would have done at least a bit more with the talent he has had through the years. It’s not a nefarious agenda to point this out, simply an objective observation. Not calling for him to be fired, or yearning for him to retire, or anything else I’d be canceled for … it’s because as I’ve noted before about Pitt coaches, it’s not just about getting rid of the current guy, it’s more about who they’d replace the guy with, which is a total wildcard.

I think in today's game you're either an x's and o's/quarterback-developing genius or you're basically just another guy. Most "just another guys" inherit bad situations and aren't able to turn them around. Tomlin just so happened to inherit a fantastic situation with a veteran-laden team that basically coached itself.

As you said, doesn't make him a bad coach or anything. He's just another guy. One of the ones who got lucky.

I mean, I agree with all of this. but I'm confused how the owner of the team convinced the club to draft ben. did he argue with himself?
The story is, Cowher wanted Shawn Andrews a big OT out of Arkansas. And Dan Rooney in the meeting room said "hey, how many times do you have a chance to draft a talent like Ben?" And convinced Cowher and Colbert that was the better choice. Seriously.

He did the same thing to Chuck Noll when he wanted to draft Robert Newhouse and Dan Rooney convinced him to take Franco instead.

The story is, Cowher wanted Shawn Andrews a big OT out of Arkansas. And Dan Rooney in the meeting room said "hey, how many times do you have a chance to draft a talent like Ben?" And convinced Cowher and Colbert that was the better choice. Seriously.

He did the same thing to Chuck Noll when he wanted to draft Robert Newhouse and Dan Rooney convinced him to take Franco instead.

Makes sense. I know we eventually took Andrews' teammate, Bo Lacy, in that draft after taking a liking to him while evaluating Andrews. I think we also liked Dunta Robinson, who was taken the pick before Ben. As far as quarterbacks go, I believe I recall Rivers being Cowher's guy.

Even though all three QBs are Hall of Famers, I feel like Ben would have succeeded anywhere, while the other two were way more dependent upon the situation.

Makes sense. I know we eventually took Andrews' teammate, Bo Lacy, in that draft after taking a liking to him while evaluating Andrews. I think we also liked Dunta Robinson, who was taken the pick before Ben. As far as quarterbacks go, I believe I recall Rivers being Cowher's guy.

Even though all three QBs are Hall of Famers, I feel like Ben would have succeeded anywhere, while the other two were way more dependent upon the situation.
the belief is that cowher and the steelers organization talked up (leaked) their love for Rivers before the draft as a smokescreen to get Ben. I dont know if i actually believe this but it makes for a great story..

the belief is that cowher and the steelers organization talked up (leaked) their love for Rivers before the draft as a smokescreen to get Ben. I dont know if i actually believe this but it makes for a great story..
They seemed to go to the same charade with the different quarterbacks in this past offseason as well

They seemed to go to the same charade with the different quarterbacks in this past offseason as well
yeah but it's tough to tell if it's actually legit or if there is no info so some blog guy on twitter exaggerates it to just make up a story.

Tomlin loves Corrall, tomlin loves Malik Willis, Steelers love Sam Howell. I remember hearing it all and you'd read the story and not really see where they came up with this alleged love affair.. Almost like the story heading was fabricated to make you click on it..

He should have done that when Noll passed on Marino for Gabe Rivera.

The oline has not been the problem with the offense
I think Ben would disagree given most of it had to be retooled prior to this year and his center isn't even dressing for games, now. Currently, it's not THE problem but it's definitely one of the things holding the offense back. Doesn't help that Najee isn't a good pass blocker, either.

I didn’t know that. I just thought back then Cowher was enamored with the QB from his alma mater.

I think Ben would disagree given most of it had to be retooled prior to this year and his center isn't even dressing for games, now. Currently, it's not THE problem but it's definitely one of the things holding the offense back. Doesn't help that Najee isn't a good pass blocker, either.

I just watched Josh Allen have like an hour and a half to throw on almost every play, while the Steelers had almost no push at the LOS and had to limit their passing options by doing things such as rolling Kenny out so as to scheme around our OL. It might not be as bad as we expected, but yeah... it's not good.

Reactions: pittdan77
I just watched Josh Allen have like an hour and a half to throw on almost every play, while the Steelers had almost no push at the LOS and had to limit their passing options by doing things such as rolling Kenny out so as to scheme around our OL. It might not be as bad as we expected, but yeah... it's not good.
In fairness, they're better than they were in week one but one of KP's best passes on Sunday was thrown as he was getting decked.

The overarching point is that the Steelers made two picks in that draft that are better addressed in later rounds and it's really hurting the offense. Especially while all of that OL talent is sitting right there for the taking. Because of that decision, the TE isn't getting many looks and the RB isn't even the best player statistically at his position, on the roster.

In fairness, they're better than they were in week one but one of KP's best passes on Sunday was thrown as he was getting decked.

The overarching point is that the Steelers made two picks in that draft that are better addressed in later rounds and it's really hurting the offense. Especially while all of that OL talent is sitting right there for the taking. Because of that decision, the TE isn't getting many looks and the RB isn't even the best player statistically at his position, on the roster.

My comparison to what the oppositions' offensive lines are doing to our front seven probably aren't fair either, because it looks like we only have 9 guys on the field half the time.

Than taking a RB who is:

Terrific hindsight
Funny how last year he looked like a bell cow back

I didn’t know that. I just thought back then Cowher was enamored with the QB from his alma mater.
It wasn’t a smoke screen
If the chargers don’t trade Eli for rivers I bet the Steelers would have tried as well

Terrific hindsight
Funny how last year he looked like a bell cow back

2021:
- 53rd in true yards per carry
- 28th in breakaway run rate
- 24th in yards created per touch
- 144th in expected points
-20th in forcing missed tackles

He was literally the exact same guy last year but know-it-all-know-nothings like you are enamored with volume over efficiency.

You're the Skip Bayliss of this board. Sit down.

2021:
- 53rd in true yards per carry
- 28th in breakaway run rate
- 24th in yards created per touch
- 144th in expected points
-20th in forcing missed tackles

He was literally the exact same guy last year but know-it-all-know-nothings like you are enamored with volume over efficiency.

You're the Skip Bayliss of this board. Sit down.
I’m not enamored.
I’m also not the projected expert gm from my couch /
That’s the skip Bayless move

like I said - if he sucks he’s cheap and we use him up on a rookie contract for $1mil/year on average
We aren’t one player away

I’m not enamored.

like I said - if he sucks he’s cheap and we use him up on a rookie contract for $1mil/year on average
You can’t look at it like that. There’s also something called 1st round capital, and when you blow it on a RB it’s bad. And when you blow it on a RB who sucks, it’s paralyzing to a franchise.

I’m not enamored.

One doesn't have to be an expert to know enough not to take a RB in the 1st, one just has to be smarter and less arrogant than you are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT