ADVERTISEMENT

Stillers n' at

One doesn't have to be an expert to know enough not to take a RB in the 1st, one just has to be smarter and less arrogant than you are.
well if you are gonna take a RB in first rd, you better make sure he's "Special." I could see ricky williams out of texas. he was good until Wanny ran him to near-suicide.

You can’t look at it like that. There’s also something called 1st round capital, and when you blow it on a RB it’s bad. And when you blow it on a RB who sucks, it’s paralyzing to a franchise.
There is no capital for that pick .
They took the best player available
who do you think was willing to trade up for that spot and what was that worth ?

it doesn’t paralyze anything , ya silly goose
They have other rbs who are likewise not very productive in this offense

how is a first rounder as a two year starter paralyzing anythinf on a very cheap rookie deal ?!?

the Steelers still have a bunch of cap space .

You can’t look at it like that. There’s also something called 1st round capital, and when you blow it on a RB it’s bad. And when you blow it on a RB who sucks, it’s paralyzing to a franchise.

Any position can be justified if the guy is enough of a freak, but yeah... you typically want "high money position" guys in the first round. So in the last six years, we've expended high picks on:

Safety - 2, 1, 1
MLB - 1, 2 (Bush cost both... and a 3)
RB - 1
TE - 2

And viola. We suck.

Even the corner (already busted out) and QB we took with 1's, while perfectly justifiable positions, may not work out. Neither really jump/jumped off the page.

Any position can be justified if the guy is enough of a freak, but yeah... you typically want "high money position" guys in the first round. So in the last six years, we've expended high picks on:

Safety - 2, 1, 1
RB - 1
TE - 2

And viola. We suck.
But do we suck because of those positions ?
Be honest ?

The story is, Cowher wanted Shawn Andrews a big OT out of Arkansas. And Dan Rooney in the meeting room said "hey, how many times do you have a chance to draft a talent like Ben?" And convinced Cowher and Colbert that was the better choice. Seriously.

He did the same thing to Chuck Noll when he wanted to draft Robert Newhouse and Dan Rooney convinced him to take Franco instead.

i don't know. i just remember that draft that it seemed a given they were taking a QB.

There is no capital for that pick .
They took the best player available
who do you think was willing to trade up for that spot and what was that worth ?

it doesn’t paralyze anything , ya silly goose
They have other rbs who are likewise not very productive in this offense

how is a first rounder as a two year starter paralyzing anythinf on a very cheap rookie deal ?!?

the Steelers still have a bunch of cap space .
Because you waste a pick when you take a RB. Teams are built with 1st round picks, they are the biggest commodity in football…and when you take a RB in that round, its equivalent to not having a 1st round pick at all. Take an OL in the first round and plug in an undrafted free agent and you’re better off.

Safety - 2, 1, 1
RB - 1
TE - 2

And viola. We suck.

Even the corner (already busted out) and QB we took with 1's, while perfectly justifiable positions, may not work out. Neither really jump/jumped off the page.
That’s a bingo. And here we sit.

But do we suck because of those positions ?
Be honest ?

Depends what you're asking. I just think it makes more sense to sign NFL average safeties and running backs, which are very affordable, and then draft the high money positions (edge, T, CB, QB, etc.) since the average free agents at those positions are not affordable. Plus, in the event that you do hit on the draft pick and get someone who is really good, those guys just affect the game more. TJ Watt, for instance, is way more of a game wrecker than a really good MLB would be.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
i don't know. i just remember that draft that it seemed a given they were taking a QB.
My dad had no idea who Ben was -
I called him and said we have a franchise qb
Of course at the time ( and before he got washed )
I said he’s like a white daunte culpepper

Depends what you're asking. I just think it makes more sense to sign NFL average safeties and running backs, which are very affordable, and then draft the high money positions (edge, T, CB, QB, etc.) since the average free agents at those positions are not affordable. Plus, in the event that you do hit on the draft pick and get someone who is really good, those guys just affect the game more. TJ Watt, for instance, is way more of a game wrecker than a really good MLB would be.
Well let’s get into specifics
We signed a very good mlb in Myles jack of $8mil/year
Devin bush has an average salary of $4.7mil/year

terrell edmunds is making $2.65mil/year
Jordan whitehead is making 7.25mil/year

I think you both under estimate how much free agents make compared to draft picks during their 4-5 years on average

I think you both under estimate how much free agents make compared to draft picks during their 4-5 years on average

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Miles Jack, a very good MLB, is making $8M/year... but Bud Dupree, probably not even as good as Jack at his respective position, is making $16.5M/year.

So it makes sense to draft the OLB and sign the MLB, because that way you have the more expensive guy on a much tamer rookie contract.

You're proving my point, not disproving it. Bush blows. We could be paying a solid tackle $4.7M/year and go get a completely proven MLB for only a bit more than that.

The market tells us that there are premium positions and non-premium positions. Just looking at average NFL salaries, teams themselves prioritize certain positions over others. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

The average OT makes $6 million per year, which is second highest. The average RB makes $2 million. The average MLB makes $3 million. The average Strong Safety makes $2.8 million.

So RB, ILB, TE, and SS are in the 5 lowest (FB is the lowest). Yet guess where we've spent 3 first round picks and a 2nd in the last 5 years......

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Miles Jack, a very good MLB, is making $8M/year... but Bud Dupree, probably not even as good as Jack at his respective position, is making $16.5M/year.

So it makes sense to draft the OLB and sign the MLB, because that way you have the more expensive guy on a much tamer rookie contract.

You're proving my point, not disproving it. Bush blows. We could be paying a solid tackle $4.7M/year and go get a completely proven MLB for only a bit more than that.

He's trolling at this point. He knows he's wrong but he's here fighting to not give up the ship. I'm ignoring him.

You’re missing the point as usual.

The market tells us that there are premium positions and non-premium positions. Just looking at average NFL salaries, teams themselves prioritize certain positions over others. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

The average OT makes $6 million per year, which is second highest. The average RB makes $2 million. The average MLB makes $3 million. The average Strong Safety makes $2.8 million.

So RB, ILB, TE, and SS are in the 5 lowest (FB is the lowest). Yet guess where we've spent 3 first round picks and a 2nd in the last 5 years......

It's like we were told we could pick any car on the lot and we settled for a Nissan Rogue (I'm allowed to rip on that since it's what I drive) instead of a BMW X5. Just leaving a lot of value on the table, basically.

this "first rd busts dont matter" theory by souf is a weird one, never heard this before. Really going to have to disagree with you on this thought process..

I get it, you are coming from a cap space/hit perspective and rookie contracts are cheaper but that's why first rd picks are soooo valuable. You have the potential to have an impact player on your team for 4 years under a very team-friendly deal.. you minimize this, waste picks on players like Najee and Bush, well you are where we are now..

Drafting those if a quality player is there at your pick, sure .
So let’s look if they were available at those picks the past 6 years ?

you’re speaking in ideal scenerios not in who is actually there at those picks

Now with Ben gone we aren’t in salary cap hell anymore .
But yes - saving 3-4 mil per position always helps

Drafting those if a quality player is there at your pick, sure .
So let’s look if they were available at those picks the past 6 years ?

you’re speaking in ideal scenerios not in who is actually there at those picks

Now with Ben gone we aren’t in salary cap hell anymore .
But yes - saving 3-4 mil per position always helps

I mean, I definitely agree that there is more to it sometimes. Like if Leatherwood falls to us and we take him instead of Najee, there's a chance we do the right thing and it still doesn't work out.

Still, I'd be more encouraged if we at least showed signs of understanding the philosophy behind all this. And this is one top of dodging the bullet that was the contract we offered to Le'Veon Bell.

And that isn't to say we haven't had back luck, too (Shazier, Tuitt, etc.). But some of the things we've done have been really deflating. Like letting a completely spent Ben call the shots for so long, taking a RB (complete and utter luxury pick) in the 1st, various assistant staffing decisions, etc.

this "first rd busts dont matter" theory by souf is a weird one, never heard this before. Really going to have to disagree with you on this thought process..

I get it, you are coming from a cap space/hit perspective and rookie contracts are cheaper but that's why first rd picks are soooo valuable. You have the potential to have an impact player on your team for 4 years under a very team-friendly deal.. you minimize this, waste picks on players like Najee and Bush, well you are where we are now..
So let’s look at the draft boards in those two years .
And let’s pick the preferable player afterwards
And then let’s look at free agents those years to see how we keep under the cap

my only point there is conventional wisdom and then there is value by salary and position .

the Steelers stink because the offense is Terrible and the DL gets dominated late in games .
Let’s be honest

Bush isn’t good no doubt .he’s hugely disappointing particularly post injury
edmunds has always been a good player - despite being a whipping boy here .

So let’s look at the draft boards in those two years .
And let’s pick the preferable player afterwards
And then let’s look at free agents those years to see how we keep under the cap

my only point there is conventional wisdom and then there is value by salary and position .

the Steelers stink because the offense is Terrible and the DL gets dominated late in games .
Let’s be honest

Bush isn’t good no doubt .he’s hugely disappointing particularly post injury
edmunds has always been a good player - despite being a whipping boy here .
edmunds i kind of agree on. if he was a 3rd rd pick, we'd all love him. since he's a first, well we dont. kind of weird to be honest. i dont have any issues with him and sadly for us, he's our best first rd pick not named Watt in a very long time..

• Sad
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
edmunds i kind of agree on. if he was a 3rd rd pick, we'd all love him. since he's a first, well we dont. kind of weird to be honest. i dont have any issues with him and sadly for us, he's our best first rd pick not named Watt in a very long time..

I think he was legitimately bad in pass coverage his first few seasons but has since played himself into the "solid" category. I've got no problem with that. Gonna need a few of these 1st rounders/high picks to be more than just solid, though.

2020 (with my subjective observations)

Round 1 - No Pick but got Minkah Fitzpatrick - Great
Round 2 - Chase Claypool - Average
Round 3 - Alex Highsmith - Average to Above Average (probably looks better with better players around him)
Round 4 - Anthony McFarland - practices squad so Below Average because he couldn't beat out Benny Snell
Round 5 - No pick part of Fitzpatrick trade
Round 6 - Antoine Brooks = Gone (Rams)
Round 7 - Carlos Davis - practice squad so Below Average, I guess?

It's not going well.

I mean, I definitely agree that there is more to it sometimes. Like if Leatherwood falls to us and we take him instead of Najee, there's a chance we do the right thing and it still doesn't work out.

Still, I'd be more encouraged if we at least showed signs of understanding the philosophy behind all this. And this is one top of dodging the bullet that was the contract we offered to Le'Veon Bell.

And that isn't to say we haven't had back luck, too (Shazier, Tuitt, etc.). But some of the things we've done have been really deflating. Like letting a completely spent Ben call the shots for so long, taking a RB (complete and utter luxury pick) in the 1st, various assistant staffing decisions, etc.
That's a great point about Bell. I cannot believe the Steelers offered him that horrific contract and thank god Bell was too stupid to take it. But again, all of this points to a completely different organization than the one Dan Rooney ran. You can even question why give Diontae Johnson a 2 year deal, franchise him and see what happens.

And on top of this and bring it back to the Family Funhouse the Steelers organization, we promote the "cap expert" to GM who really I am not sure what creative stuff that they have done.

The Steelers have become the Bengals and Browns before our eyes. It is that 3rd generation of family that historically derails companies.

2020 (with my subjective observations)

Round 1 - No Pick but got Minkah Fitzpatrick - Great
Round 2 - Chase Claypool - Average
Round 3 - Alex Highsmith - Average to Above Average (probably looks better with better players around him)
Round 4 - Anthony McFarland - practices squad so Below Average because he couldn't beat out Benny Snell
Round 5 - No pick part of Fitzpatrick trade
Round 6 - Antoine Brooks = Gone (Rams)
Round 7 - Carlos Davis - practice squad so Below Average, I guess?

It's not going well.
Highsmith is just "a guy". He had as many tackles as you and I this past week. He hasn't had any QB sacks let alone pressures since Watt went down.

Reactions: pittdan77
That's a great point about Bell. I cannot believe the Steelers offered him that horrific contract and thank god Bell was too stupid to take it. But again, all of this points to a completely different organization than the one Dan Rooney ran. You can even question why give Diontae Johnson a 2 year deal, franchise him and see what happens.

And on top of this and bring it back to the Family Funhouse the Steelers organization, we promote the "cap expert" to GM who really I am not sure what creative stuff that they have done.

The Steelers have become the Bengals and Browns before our eyes. It is that 3rd generation of family that historically derails companies.

Yep. Given how bad the drafts have sucked, I don't think I put much faith in Tomlin + an Accountant tag teaming their way to the fix.

What football brains do we have in this organization right now? At least there was LeBeau, Munchak, etc. before. Flores, maybe, but he isn't going to stick around for this shit show.

Edmunds is still terrible. Just a little less terrible, finally. But terrible.

Edmunds is still terrible. Just a little less terrible, finally. But terrible.
He's just another "guy". I mean if he was a 3rd rd pick like Highsmith, he would be okay....but he was a 1st rd pick and no other NFL team had a 1st rd grade on him.

Hell they could have traded into the 2nd, picked up say a 3rd and 4th and selected him then.

You understand that what that shows is that a good free agent safety makes a lot more than a mediocre free agent safety, right?

Because Edmunds didn't get his fifth year option picked up and was a free agent before resigning with the Stillers because he got little interest elsewhere.

He's just another "guy". I mean if he was a 3rd rd pick like Highsmith, he would be okay....but he was a 1st rd pick and no other NFL team had a 1st rd grade on him.

Hell they could have traded into the 2nd, picked up say a 3rd and 4th and selected him then.

When we took him, I thought it was part of some evil genius Steeler plan to convert this guy who no one had going anywhere near the first round to linebacker or something, where he would go on to flourish.

Lol, nope. Just one of the first signs of our organizational dementia and inability to field a good football team.

The Steelers will be buried behind Cincy and Baltimore if they don’t dedicate the next draft to the offensive line and then get a very good pro offensive coordinator. They should be able to score enough with Pickett to be competitive. The defense is about to become the laughing stock of the league so don’t expect them to rebuild a defense in 2 years, especially when the doofus known as Art Rooney is making the picks. That executive staff is a joke.

The story is, Cowher wanted Shawn Andrews a big OT out of Arkansas. And Dan Rooney in the meeting room said "hey, how many times do you have a chance to draft a talent like Ben?" And convinced Cowher and Colbert that was the better choice. Seriously.

He did the same thing to Chuck Noll when he wanted to draft Robert Newhouse and Dan Rooney convinced him to take Franco instead.
Maybe this is how it really happened... but it's awfully convenient for these two specific picks to get out there to the media as Rooney picks. I'd buy into it more if we heard some stories about the lesser picks Rooney suggested over the years. Let's see the Steelers PR machine give us the inside scoop on how Dan Rooney pounded the table for Ziggy Hood.

Highsmith is just "a guy". He had as many tackles as you and I this past week. He hasn't had any QB sacks let alone pressures since Watt went down.
That’s factually untrue
He had a sack against the jets
And 1.5 against cleveland

highsmith is pretty darned good considering he’s the only edge threat presently

Well it is very weird and it alway has been at least to me

You understand that what that shows is that a good free agent safety makes a lot more than a mediocre free agent safety, right?

Because Edmunds didn't get his fifth year option picked up and was a free agent before resigning with the Stillers because he got little interest elsewhere.
So the question is why didn’t the Steelers go and get a free agent safety ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT