ADVERTISEMENT

Stillers n' at

Tomlin has plenty of responsibility but I think Colbert has a significantly high level of responsibility. Please remember when Colbert announced his retirement he stuck around through the draft. If he had minimal input Art Jr would have said hit the road pal. So Colbert was a significant player and so will his hand picked replacement.
I think Tomlin has just gotten more and more power and say in all matters. And now with rookie GM who is just a financial guy, he is the defacto GM. Pretty heady stuff for a guy who has won 3 playoff games in the last 11 years.

Mike McCarthy was fired from Green Bay with a similar record after beating Tomlin in the Super Bowl.

Asheville has been on my bucket list. If crime has spiked, I’ll just say that I hope they elect the right leadership there and turn it back in the right direction.
Yep. Watt having surgery this week solidified my point. The Steelers threw in the towel on their season when they changed QBs last week.

If Watt doesn't return (and the recent report is he won't due to a knee issue) 1-16 is a possibility
I thought that report was that he will be back after the bye in November.

people will disagree, but I’d trade him. He’s 28 and the Steelers aren’t winning the next couple of years. His prime will be over before they have a chance to be contenders. The Steelers should load up with draft picks.

I think the panic over the Steelers is somewhat over the top. It’s a long season and there’s a good bit of parity in the league (by design); they happened to just run into one of the outliers of the league right now (of course, that’s not to say the Steelers aren’t also one).

Ok, they likely aren’t going to compete for the post season. And much like Pitt with GT, they squandered one of their gimme games with the Jets loss.

But to say they won’t win more than a couple more games is extreme. None of their divisional foes are playing particularly well, for example; wins can be found there. I’d call them pick ‘ems. Some of their other opponents, even those with inexplicably good records right now (Eagles, Dolphins), usually come to earth. Then there is the usual dregs like the Saints and Panthers and Falcons. The Raiders are the U of the NFL, you might get anything with them.

I’m not saying it’s a good thing if they stay afloat; In the long view they probably SHOULD tank this year so that they can get advantageous drafting position for next season, but they don’t work that way.

Yep. Watt having surgery this week solidified my point. The Steelers threw in the towel on their season when they changed QBs last week.
And that's cool, right? Why struggle, claw and scratch to maybe finish 9-8 and another pick around 20-23. I am fine with admitting that you need a talent infusion. But I also think it is time for ownership to put some pressure on Mikey T to bring in some truly upwardly mobile coaches, not friends, hangerson and internal promotions.

Even this last GM search. My god, who wouldn't want to be GM of one of the nation's iconic franchises? And we hired internally, again? This isn't Bob's Big Shot Wings...

I think the panic over the Steelers is somewhat over the top. It’s a long season and there’s a good bit of parity in the league (by design); they happened to just run into one of the outliers of the league right now (of course, that’s not to say the Steelers aren’t also one).

Ok, they likely aren’t going to compete for the post season. And much like Pitt with GT, they squandered one of their gimme games with the Jets loss.

But to say they won’t win more than a couple more games is extreme. None of their divisional foes are playing particularly well, for example; wins can be found there. I’d call them pick ‘ems. Some of their other opponents, even those with inexplicably good records right now (Eagles, Dolphins), usually come to earth. Then there is the usual dregs like the Saints and Panthers and Falcons. The Raiders are the U of the NFL, you might get anything with them.

I’m not saying it’s a good thing if they stay afloat; In the long view they probably SHOULD tank this year so that they can get advantageous drafting position for next season, but they don’t work that way.
It’s not over the top. If you can’t compete for a title, then what’s the point? Sunday showed how far away they are. They aren’t close to the top teams in the league.

this “haven’t had a losing season in Tomlin’s career” is the wrong kind of accomplishment worth mentioning. It’s no different than my feelings on making the NCAA tourney in hoops. If you make the tourney every year but can’t score 50 points or know that you’ll never beat anyone of note, then why get excited?

making the playoffs and giving up 45 points each time and losing the first game simply gives a false sense of security that will just keep the franchise in the land of mediocrity forever.

tear this thing down. Maybe if Watt were 24, I’d consider keeping him. But he’s 28. What would the return be for the best defensive player in football?

Reactions: 303vND
It’s not over the top. If you can’t compete for a title, then what’s the point? Sunday showed how far away they are. They aren’t close to the top teams in the league.

this “haven’t had a losing season in Tomlin’s career” is the wrong kind of accomplishment worth mentioning. It’s no different than my feelings on making the NCAA tourney in hoops. If you make the tourney every year but can’t score 50 points or know that you’ll never beat anyone of note, then why get excited?

making the playoffs and giving up 45 points each time and losing the first game simply gives a false sense of security that will just keep the franchise in the land of mediocrity forever.

tear this thing down. Maybe if Watt were 24, I’d consider keeping him. But he’s 28. What would the return be for the best defensive player in football?
I am on record on these forums that last year instead of extending Watt, I would have traded him for a boat load of picks and begun a true rebuild.

I am on record on these forums that last year instead of extending Watt, I would have traded him for a boat load of picks and begun a true rebuild.
Nice. You were right. Admittedly I wasn’t thinking that way then and I was wrong not to. The Steelers were either arrogant or ignorant not to realize the state of the team.

lol at your first sentence, it’s exactly what i say about Pitt sports (and the Pirates), and I’m shouted down, that somehow it’s ridiculous that Pitt should be genuinely trying to compete for national championships; we should just enjoy the “experience”.

But then, College Football (similar to MLB) is meant by design to reward the big money behemoths and punish the lesser programs.

My point was that the NFL has the ideal of everyone being able to beat anyone else “any given Sunday”. The Steelers don’t seem to be that entirely bereft this season that they can’t put up 6-7 wins or so, because many of their pending opponents have their own holes and issues (or might merely have a bad day, as Cincinnati had in game 1). I’m older and I’ve seen some seasons in the late 80s and early 90s that the team started out far worse (if that can be believed) but pulled out some wins later due to league parity.

You are right that “No losing season” is an increasingly hollow accolade when (1) the sport is designed so most should finish around .500; (2) there have been so many quick exits in the post season. Especially in the frequent years that the coach had not only a HOF QB (discount his last couple seasons when he was washed up), but also a HOF WR (at least until he went insane), an outstanding RB (ditto) multiple Pro Bowl OL, a HOF DT and Safety. Other teams obviously have some good players as well (again, by design) but those guys should have been good for more 2 playoff wins in over a decade.

Tomlin found his way into the SB a couple times (but with so many SB that fraternity grows less exclusive each year). As the years go by that they constantly flunk out in the first round, that light gets dimmer and dimmer. I think the guy is a fine coach who is probably a little too comfortable now, and would benefit from a change in scenery soon. But it’ll totally be on his terms, the team and media won’t touch him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Nice. You were right. Admittedly I wasn’t thinking that way then and I was wrong not to. The Steelers were either arrogant or ignorant not to realize the state of the team.
Well here's the thing, everybody was looking at "well they made the playoffs" but what they seemed to fail to acknowledge over these last few years is they barely made the playoffs, and they were so far away from the KC's, Buffalo's, etc...it didn't matter. And this great defense has 3 great players and 8 mediocre to bad players. The offense is just a clusterF starting with the Offensive Coordinator.

I am not saying I am an NFL expert, but I hate agree with Mark Madden on something, but he also has been saying the Steelers stink and it was because Ben pulled some rabbits out of the hat when he wrested playcalling from the OC in the 4th quarter.

Think about this, usually what the first 20 offensive plays is "scripted" by the coaches? The Steelers have had 1 offensive TD in the 1st quarter in their last 20 games? Or more? What does that tell you?

Reactions: pittdan77
lol at your first sentence, it’s exactly what i say about Pitt sports (and the Pirates), and I’m shouted down, that somehow it’s ridiculous that Pitt should be genuinely trying to compete for national championships; we should just enjoy the “experience”.

But then, College Football (similar to MLB) is meant by design to reward the big money behemoths and punish the lesser programs.

My point was that the NFL has the ideal of everyone being able to beat anyone else “any given Sunday”. The Steelers don’t seem to be that entirely bereft this season that they can’t put up 6-7 wins or so, because many of their pending opponents have their own holes and issues (or might merely have a bad day, as Cincinnati had in game 1). I’m older and I’ve seen some seasons in the late 80s and early 90s that the team started out far worse (if that can be believed) but pulled out some wins later due to league parity.

You are right that “No losing season” is an increasingly hollow accolade when (1) the sport is designed so most should finish around .500; (2) there have been so many quick exits in the post season. Especially in the frequent years that the coach had not only a HOF QB (discount his last couple seasons when he was washed up), but also a HOF WR (at least until he went insane), an outstanding RB (ditto) multiple Pro Bowl OL, a HOF DT and Safety. Other teams obviously have some good players as well (again, by design) but those guys should have been good for more 2 playoff wins in over a decade.

Tomlin found his way into the SB a couple times (but with so many SB that fraternity grows less exclusive each year). As the years go by that they constantly flunk out in the first round, that light gets dimmer and dimmer. I think the guy is a fine coach who is probably a little too comfortable now, and would benefit from a change in scenery soon. But it’ll totally be on his terms, the team and media won’t touch him.
It’s on Rooney. I don’t think he has any passion for winning. None.

Well here's the thing, everybody was looking at "well they made the playoffs" but what they seemed to fail to acknowledge over these last few years is they barely made the playoffs, and they were so far away from the KC's, Buffalo's, etc...it didn't matter. And this great defense has 3 great players and 8 mediocre to bad players. The offense is just a clusterF starting with the Offensive Coordinator.

I am not saying I am an NFL expert, but I hate agree with Mark Madden on something, but he also has been saying the Steelers stink and it was because Ben pulled some rabbits out of the hat when he wrested playcalling from the OC in the 4th quarter.

Think about this, usually what the first 20 offensive plays is "scripted" by the coaches? The Steelers have had 1 offensive TD in the 1st quarter in their last 20 games? Or more? What does that tell you?
Yeah, this and only this. It might be good enough to just make the playoffs in places like Detroit but this franchise needs to actually win games when it gets there.

Bingo. I was thinking about that. Rudolph is the only steeler QB to lead them on a 1st quarter TD drive, and I could be wrong, but I think it’s up to like 30 games now. 30 games!!! When you have a HOF QB for part of that, and 3 other QB’s…it’s a trend that’s alarming and shouldn’t be blamed on the QB’s.

It’s on Rooney. I don’t think he has any passion for winning. None.
I agree. He seems satisfied with a "winning" record and being a playoff contender. I am in my 50's, so yeah been around awhile. And yes, I do recognize being spoiled and entitled as a Steelers fan. So what. That is what this franchise has been for 50 years.

"Winning Season" here is 11-5, 12-4 and winning the division title and being a threat to get to a Super Bowl. Not finishing 9-8, being the last seed in the playoffs and getting your doors blown off in the wild card round. I am sorry if that feels arrogant, but it is the truth.

Maybe but they've backed themselves into a corner with Tomlin. The league celebrates his "success" and the club hasn't pull on the reigns at all with some of the decision making with the coaching staff.
I’m somewhat of a Tomlin guy. I like him and think that he can lead and win in the right environment. But he can’t do it in this one. I follow another sport where a current legend of a coach has always said that you have 7 years at a place and then you should move on. I’m not saying that’s always the case, but I do agree that it often is. Tomlin should have left after 7 years here and succeeded somewhere else.

I’m somewhat of a Tomlin guy. I like him and think that he can lead and win in the right environment. But he can’t do it in this one. I follow another sport where a current legend of a coach has always said that you have 7 years at a place and then you should move on. I’m not saying that’s always the case, but I do agree that it often is. Tomlin should have left after 7 years here and succeeded somewhere else.
I don't have disdain for Tomlin but he really wasted Ben's career and it's been a long time since they hired an OC that is competent.

I don't have disdain for Tomlin but he really wasted Ben's career and it's been a long time since they hired an OC that is competent.
Wasted Ben's career. How many NFL careers have been wasted over the years? Drew Brees? Brett Favre? Aaron Rodgers? Peyton Manning? Wasted Ben's career. Ben played in a 32 team league and won two Super Bowls in his career. It's time to kick this term to the curb.

Reactions: happjack

people will disagree, but I’d trade him. He’s 28 and the Steelers aren’t winning the next couple of years. His prime will be over before they have a chance to be contenders. The Steelers should load up with draft picks.
He’s as brittle as peanut brittle. And it’s guaranteed $$$$&

I think Tomlin has just gotten more and more power and say in all matters. And now with rookie GM who is just a financial guy, he is the defacto GM. Pretty heady stuff for a guy who has won 3 playoff games in the last 11 years.

Mike McCarthy was fired from Green Bay with a similar record after beating Tomlin in the Super Bowl.

This past Sunday, I both agreed with a poster who said we need to trade him for picks and then said that the fastest way to turning this thing around might be to trade Highsmith for like a 4th and draft a top 5 edge guy to pair with Watt.

The fact that those ideas are so polar opposite leads me to believe we're going to be bad until like 2030, and I'm just throwing stuff at the wall.

• Haha
Oh yes. I forgot, anti war is no longer part of your platform, and someone who has been anti war their whole life is now a fan of Putin.
Buddy - that’s not her primary issue
And yes she’s always been a puppet

Wasted Ben's career. How many NFL careers have been wasted over the years? Drew Brees? Brett Favre? Aaron Rodgers? Peyton Manning? Wasted Ben's career. Ben played in a 32 team league and won two Super Bowls in his career. It's time to kick this term to the curb.
Ben won one Super Bowl with Tomlin and both were with a roster full of talented players that Tomlin had little to do with. Eight playoff wins in his first four years. After that, they missed the playoffs five times and won less playoff games than they did those first four years. The Steelers did little to nothing in the post season while Ben was playing at his peak.

Ben won one Super Bowl with Tomlin and both were with a roster full of talented players that Tomlin had little to do with. Eight playoff wins in his first four years. After that, they missed the playoffs five times and won less playoff games than they did those first four years. The Steelers did little to nothing in the post season while Ben was playing at his peak.
With the exception of Brady and belichek -
Who has done more ?

Watt is now what everyone said James Conner is … plays so hard, he’s injury prone. It was used as the main reason to jettison JC and (waste) a first round pick on a new RB. Watt on the other hand gets a huge new deal plus the sweetheart deal for his worthless brother. Yeah, Watt is a better player than JC but when both are injured, which is often, they’re exactly the same,

That’s what makes the notion amusing that Tomlin is some kind of coach whisperer. He’s fine. He’s a good, solid coach. He’s just not an elite coach, or he would have done at least a bit more with the talent he has had through the years. It’s not a nefarious agenda to point this out, simply an objective observation. Not calling for him to be fired, or yearning for him to retire, or anything else I’d be canceled for … it’s because as I’ve noted before about Pitt coaches, it’s not just about getting rid of the current guy, it’s more about who they’d replace the guy with, which is a total wildcard.

Even this last GM search. My god, who wouldn't want to be GM of one of the nation's iconic franchises? And we hired internally, again? This isn't Bob's Big Shot Wings...

yep, too many internal hires. The co-GM setup is very odd, and seems like just a way for Tomlin to call the shots. Could have definitely used some fresh ideas there. And I like bringing in Flores, but why as a consultant or whatever? Make him a full fledged coordinator.

With the exception of Brady and belichek -
Who has done more ?
In the last 5 years, many coaches. Over his career, much smaller list.

Is he to be judged for lifetime achievement or for current results? Chuck Noll was great too... until he wasn't. Tomlin's in his 16th year. It's ok to talk about potentially moving on based on recent performance and current team composition.

Reactions: pittdan77
yep, too many internal hires. The co-GM setup is very odd, and seems like just a way for Tomlin to call the shots. Could have definitely used some fresh ideas there. And I like bringing in Flores, but why as a consultant or whatever? Make him a full fledged coordinator.
Exactly, everyone realized immediately that the Khan move was a de facto promotion of Tomlin to GM as well as HC. They don’t call it that in order to spread the pain in case they fail, and especially if they fail due to obvious poor drafts or foolhardy trades. That insulates Tomlin, as they can make Khan the fall guy. But it would have to collapse pretty low for them to do that, either.

I have been right there with you.

I think the Steelers have gotten to the point where they place so much trust in Tomlin that they've let him elevate a bunch of average coaches without really looking around the league very much and player evaluation is part of that equation.

2017: Steelers pick JuJu and Dion Dawkins (OT) goes with the very next pick to Buffalo. He was a pro bowler, last year. Six picks after that the Rams take Cooper Kupp. Steelers take Josh Dobbs and George Kittle comes off the board 11 picks later. Steelers take Brian Allen and Green Bay picks up a late round RB named Aaron Jones soon after.

This is how it's gone. The argument has been, "well, they're taking the best player available," but they really aren't. I think they get enamored with players and loose any sort of objective reasoning. The irony of all of this is that it appears the 2022 draft has a chance to be okay. See if Austin can make a difference when he gets healthy and if DeMarvin Leal develops. Pickett and Pickens seem to be going well, so far.

You and I agree on a lot and I'm fairly critical of the Steelers recent drafts. But I think that you can play this game with a lot of players. JuJu was a good pick. They got a ton of value out of him before he got hurt and unfortunately he was never the same guy after that. The Dobbs pick was egregious though given the state of our QB position and championship window.

I do agree with you that they hyper fixate on traits and that causes them to lose sight of the big picture on a player. That was the issue with taking Kendrick Green instead of a more established IOL like Humphrey or Dickerson. They wanted a super athlete at C because that's what they had with Pouncey. But the problem is that, unlike Pouncey, Green is a bad football player and so small that his athleticism is meaningless.

NFL teams do this all the time. "We need a fast WR to stretch the defense!" And they draft Henry Ruggs in the top 15 picks. But if all you need is a trait then get the cheapest one possible. Take Quez Watkins in the 5th and have him run wind sprints out there. But any pick in the first 90 needs to be one that is a good football player first and a trait for your scheme second. Because you can always change the scheme a little to take advantage of what a good player can do. But a bad player with a trait for your scheme is often of little value.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT