ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
With season 2 of Ted Lasso coming out on Apple TV, its a little annoying that I have to sign up for that service again to watch it. Makes me wonder how much it would cost per month if it was someone's goal to have ALL of these streaming subscriptions WITHOUT cable or a cable substitute like YouTube TV, Fubo, Sling, etc.

Netflix 13.99
Prime video 8.99
Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ 13.99
HBO Max 14.99
Paramount + 4.99
Peacock 4.99
Apple TV 4.99
Discovery + 4.99
Showtime 10.99
Starz 8.99
Cinemax 9.99

Am I forgetting any? That's $101.89/month if you needed all those. I have a few + YouTube TV. I hate go to go back to Comcast but their X1 platform does a great job of aggregating most of these so you dont have to figure out which show is on which app. But if they sign ACCN, I may have to go back for some sweetheart 1 year deal or so as they usually offer deeply discounted promos. I'd hate giving up YTTV's unlimited DVR though. I record like every sporting event from every league, hardly watch them but its nice to not have to record individual games. If I want to watch a game, I know the entire season is recorded.

Yeah, if you need to have everything plus all sports, it might not make much financial sense to use streaming over Comcast. I've found that after a few years of streaming, I don't much miss having expanded options. Most of what I have is for the kids (Disney+, Netflix) and I have Prime Video (mostly for the Prime shipping... reconsidering as I order from Amazon much less these days). I'll add a streaming option like Sling for a few months here and there (mainly during football season). Otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I've got plus an HD antenna.

Yeah, if you need to have everything plus all sports, it might not make much financial sense to use streaming over Comcast. I've found that after a few years of streaming, I don't much miss having expanded options. Most of what I have is for the kids (Disney+, Netflix) and I have Prime Video (mostly for the Prime shipping... reconsidering as I order from Amazon much less these days). I'll add a streaming option like Sling for a few months here and there (mainly during football season). Otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I've got plus an HD antenna.
Well if you need sports, you have to have either cable or a cable substitute. I was mainly talking about non-sports fans

I "cut the cord" about two years ago, and it is a mild net gain.
Still have to use Comcast internet to make it work, so no getting around that.
Youtube TV, use the wife's prime and I pay for Netflix.
Yeah, unlimited DRV is sweet, and there is a bit more you can get out of YTTV if you dig around.
Was a long time HBO fan and just popped for about two months to catch up on things, but after watching some new stuff like Mare, and binging stuff like Band of Brothers, ect. had my fill.
Prime has a lot of Starz stuff free. Just went through Counterpart again (under rated in the OT best series shows on the boards here)
ACC's goofy TV coverage makes it hard, though with Pitt.
As most note, still miss football and hoops games.
Get paramount with YTTV, only thing of any interest to me Yellowstone.
Tend to swing from watching a lot of Netflix to watching a lot of Prime.
Time away fills in the gaps on either.
IF Comcast were to finally get ACCC and you were 100% assured to get all Pitt football/hoops games, would have a decision to make.

I "cut the cord" about two years ago, and it is a mild net gain.
Still have to use Comcast internet to make it work, so no getting around that.
Youtube TV, use the wife's prime and I pay for Netflix.
Yeah, unlimited DRV is sweet, and there is a bit more you can get out of YTTV if you dig around.
Was a long time HBO fan and just popped for about two months to catch up on things, but after watching some new stuff like Mare, and binging stuff like Band of Brothers, ect. had my fill.
Prime has a lot of Starz stuff free. Just went through Counterpart again (under rated in the OT best series shows on the boards here)
ACC's goofy TV coverage makes it hard, though with Pitt.
As most note, still miss football and hoops games.
Get paramount with YTTV, only thing of any interest to me Yellowstone.
Tend to swing from watching a lot of Netflix to watching a lot of Prime.
Time away fills in the gaps on either.
IF Comcast were to finally get ACCC and you were 100% assured to get all Pitt football/hoops games, would have a decision to make.
All of Pitt's home games plus road games vs ACC teams are always on either:

ACCN
regional sports networks (ATTSN in Pgh)
ESPN
ESPN2
ABC
Dont think we're on ESPNU anymore

If you want to watch EVERY Pitt football and basketball game that is part of the ACC contract, those are the channels you need.

Non-conference road games would be under that conference's tv deal

All of Pitt's home games plus road games vs ACC teams are always on either:

ACCN
regional sports networks (ATTSN in Pgh)
ESPN
ESPN2
ABC
Dont think we're on ESPNU anymore

If you want to watch EVERY Pitt football and basketball game that is part of the ACC contract, those are the channels you need.

Non-conference road games would be under that conference's tv deal
The ATTSN is my weak link.
Plus, the ESPN options (and probably ATTSN) that are not included with YTTV can't DVR them, most times busy, particularly for the football games.

The ATTSN is my weak link.
I dont have ATTSN with YTTV but have never missed a Pitt game on it because I watch those games on the ESPN app on my phone. If you turn off your wifi, ESPN doesnt black it out.

Your other statement as fas as YTTV not having ESPN channels makes no sense to me.

It doesn't matter whether you have cable or YTTV. You would still have to individually pay for the subscriptions or bundle them. Your still paying for them no matter what.

And Alexa or even Roku voice command will easily pull up the show you wanna watch, no matter the streaming service. You can even bookmark the show to your homescreen if you like.

With YouTube TV you save a few bucks on HBO Max, Showtime and Starz if you get the Entertainment Bundle at $29.99 a month. That includes the HBO channels and on demand on YTTV and access to HBO Max. Also some phone plans give you access to certain streaming services, I get Hulu with ads and whatever the MLB stream is via my Sprint/T-Mobile plan.

It’s pretty easy to add and drop these services, once the new season of Picard starts I’ll get Paramount+ again and then drop it when the season is over.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
With YouTube TV you save a few bucks on HBO Max, Showtime and Starz if you get the Entertainment Bundle at $29.99 a month. That includes the HBO channels and on demand on YTTV and access to HBO Max. Also some phone plans give you access to certain streaming services, I get Hulu with ads and whatever the MLB stream is via my Sprint/T-Mobile plan.

It’s pretty easy to add and drop these services, once the new season of Picard starts I’ll get Paramount+ again and then drop it when the season is over.

Yep. The ability to add/drop is key for me. If I only need ACCN & ESPN for six months out of the year for college football/bball, I pay for six months.

It helps to share with other family if possible. Like one person goes in on netflix, one goes in on disney+, etc. Or just subscribe and binge watch if not needing access immediately. Example, buy disney next month and binge loki, falcon, and wandavision. At least more flexibility now. I kept cable for sports, but with streaming options picking up, it is no longer the chokehold it once was. But it does stink to have content only available via streaming (Disney+) and not just cable. So I pay even more now in some months.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
If Comcast signs, will Armstrong sign as well? One wire, infinite possibilities!

I’m debating getting YouTube again for college football season. I’ve been without anything but basic Roku and local channels and have mostly liked the less emphasis on watching tv.

I can usually get by on Pluto, Roku channel and the other free channels, but, thinking of treating myself to binge watching football this year after last year’s college football debacle due to Covid in which I didnt miss much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT