ADVERTISEMENT

Take two Big 12 teams and two AAC teams to join the ACC

Clemson and FSU leaving is not a given. They could have reached out to other conferences before signing the GOR but went ahead and did it anyway.
It's a different game & different set of circumstances now than it was then. They may drag on in the ACC for now, but I find it hard to believe they are just going to sit back and be content with regional competitors getting top dollar while they get chump change. And keep in mind, the SEC & ACC both have their television contracts with ESPN.

It's a different game & different set of circumstances now than it was then. They may drag on in the ACC for now, but I find it hard to believe they are just going to sit back and be content with regional competitors getting top dollar while they get chump change. And keep in mind, the SEC & ACC both have their television contracts with ESPN.
Take this to a different thread if you are not going to answer the original question.

Take this to a different thread if you are not going to answer the original question.
None of those teams can help or move the needle for the ACC.

If I had to pick, I'd just go with your 4, since the league would be centered around basketball and non factor in football.

I hate when people say this.

Total viewers ALWAYS has been the #1 thing. However, when you have a home team in a major media market, it provides a sense of security to advertisers that

a) a significant number (to advertisers) of people in that city will watch their home team

b) a smaller number (but still significant) of Home Team fans in that city will begin to watch conference games not involving their team because they now have a vested interested.

What's the best way to prop up your "total viewers?" Ding, ding, ding, you add a team from a major TV market.

Adding a school like WVU is risky AF because although, yes, they have a big fanbase relative to their media market, they have no room for growth. WVU isnt winning any new fans in Morgantown or Charleston. They're already fans. If Temple goes 10-2 1 year in the ACC, all of a sudden, they get massive ratings for that year and some come back the next year.
You may hate it all you want it is still true. Temple does not give you the Philly market at all. There is a much higher percentage of people in philly who root for Penn St then they do Temple. There is no security at all on them bringing in a significant amount of peoiple in the city to watch their home team. If that was the case Temple would have been invited back to the old big east.

I mean the answer is right in front of you if you just look at the current state of whose who in College Football. Houston is the home town team in a top 5 city, but more people there are Texas A&M fans. SMU/TCU same story only Dallas/Ft Worth people there are Texas fans. Most of the Whose Who in College football are located in states that with small markets. Go look at the rankings of media markets of most of the SEC schools. Outside of Atlanta and New Orleans they are not rated very high.

None of those teams can help or move the needle for the ACC.

If I had to pick, I'd just go with your 4, since the league would be centered around basketball and non factor in football.

That's is the truth, ACC basketball first middle last , Pitt is in the perfect conference, wait .....

You hit part of the nail on the head with ESPN. There is no way they want to pay more for the same product. Texas moving to the SEC probably saves ESPN money because they will probably get out of the Longhorn Network. The GOR is enough money to make jumping early cost prohibitive and you just can't tear those up.

If the Pac 12 is such a mess, go grab Utah and Colorado

Match them up with Kansas, K State, Ok State and Texas Tech

ACC WEST Members of a 20 school behemoth

You may hate it all you want it is still true. Temple does not give you the Philly market at all. There is a much higher percentage of people in philly who root for Penn St then they do Temple. There is no security at all on them bringing in a significant amount of peoiple in the city to watch their home team. If that was the case Temple would have been invited back to the old big east.

I mean the answer is right in front of you if you just look at the current state of whose who in College Football. Houston is the home town team in a top 5 city, but more people there are Texas A&M fans. SMU/TCU same story only Dallas/Ft Worth people there are Texas fans. Most of the Whose Who in College football are located in states that with small markets. Go look at the rankings of media markets of most of the SEC schools. Outside of Atlanta and New Orleans they are not rated very high.
Can you explain to me why a school like WVU is more valuable now than in the cable era? Don't say "total viewers." Its ALWAYS been about total viewers but as I said, most viewers come from a team's home market and the bigger the better.

You people act like conferences and networks were saying "well, hey, WVU has a lot of fans and their ratings are good but their market is too small so lets forget everything I said about them having a lot of fans and strong ratings"

Advertisers generally do not care if a WVU fan is watching their ad in Charleston, Morgantown, DC, Charlotte, or Montana. They want eyeballs. This isnt new

Can you explain to me why a school like WVU is more valuable now than in the cable era? Don't say "total viewers." Its ALWAYS been about total viewers but as I said, most viewers come from a team's home market and the bigger the better.

You people act like conferences and networks were saying "well, hey, WVU has a lot of fans and their ratings are good but their market is too small so lets forget everything I said about them having a lot of fans and strong ratings"

Advertisers generally do not care if a WVU fan is watching their ad in Charleston, Morgantown, DC, Charlotte, or Montana. They want eyeballs. This isnt new
Exactly. South Bend has a horrible market but people watch ND. I realize WVU and ND are quite different but I follow your logic.

B12 - TCU/WVU
AAC - Houston/Cincy

Get a footprint in the two biggest markets in Texas. Get a footprint in Ohio. Add natural rival who has existing history with Pitt, Miami, VT, TCU, Cincy, Louisville, BC, Syracuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: jivecat
B12 - TCU/WVU
AAC - Houston/Cincy

Get a footprint in the two biggest markets in Texas. Get a footprint in Ohio. Add natural rival who has existing history with Pitt, Miami, VT, TCU, Cincy, Louisville, BC, Syracuse.
Beautiful!!!! See everyone….how hard is it to follow directions. Well done Johnny.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer

Wow you really don't get it. Because the way to view games is changing. It used to be that there was one cable company in your local (unless you used a dish) and they had based packages and premium packages. ESPN forced these college channels on base packages in home markets, and outside the market it was an upcharge for the sports package. ESPN would get $3 a subscription for every base package ACCN or B10N was on, no matter if people wanted those channels or not EVERY MONTH.

In that model, media market mattered more than anything. They didn't give a rats ass if people watched it or not. TV today is changing. It is getting more and more specialized to the viewer. People are only paying for what they want and not blindly paying ESPN money EVERY MONTH because they live in a certain area. WVU lost in that old world and Pitt won in that old world.

Guess what, in this brave new world WVU is going to benefit. WVU has more fans willing to pay to watch them then a lot of other P5 teams fans are.

Last edited:
I don’t know about Temple but, not surprising although disappointing if you are a fan or alumnus of the school, zero mention of UCONN in any of these discussions.

And to think, not that long ago they were the big dog in BE BB and a school we couldn’t beat when we needed to in FB.
Have you paid attention to what's been happening to YouCon football the past several years or so?

Have you paid attention to what's been happening to YouCon football the past several years or so?
Yeah, that’s all a given, why I called no mention of UCONN anywhere not surprising.

So my comment was more just an observation, how times have changed since when the prior go around of conference realignments and shuffling occurred and UCONN was a common mention in speculation posts. Back when UCONN was a big dog in BE BB and inexcusably for Pitt, beating us in FB.

sucks to be a UCONN fan.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Yeah, that’s all a given, why I called no mention of UCONN anywhere not surprising.

So my comment was more just an observation, how times have changed since when the prior go around of conference realignments and shuffling occurred and UCONN was a common mention in speculation posts. Back when UCONN was a big dog in BE BB and inexcusably for Pitt, beating us in FB.

sucks to be a UCONN fan.
I still remember the speculation that the ACC was going to add UConn and Rutgers when every conference was rumored to be in an arms race to 16 schools. Wonder where they’d be today had they joined the ACC and not the AAC…

It’s funny how a few years ago, ECU was at least in these discussions. They had a reasonably good run in football. Now, they’re not even an afterthought (nor should they be, really).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT