ADVERTISEMENT

Tate Martell - Silly NCAA Transfer Rules

FireballZ

Senior
Jan 3, 2016
Okay - with Tate Martell having his sit-out upon transfer requirement waived today, for no good reason that I can gather, and with the same thing happening earlier with Justin Fields leaving Georgia for OSU, when is this silly rule going to just be revoked? Or, is it going to be like everything else in major college athletics these days where only the football factories, blue bloods and/or SEC money-printing schools get away with the benefits that come alongside breaking the rules and policies that have long been established?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ver-for-immediate-eligibility-in-2019-season/

Last edited:
I don't think the rule is silly, but since OSU was able to benefit with the Fields transfer, I guess the rules don't matter. What's to stop good players from bad or mediocre teams from transferring to OSU and playing in their first year? It seems like the rule was good for everyone who wasn't a Top 10 program. Now...

Reactions: sween73
Wait til pitt has a player wanting to transfer out. He will be eligible from day one. If that player goes to another acc school, the NCAA will add on a year of eligibility.

Reactions: Chaos and FireballZ
Wait til pitt has a player wanting to transfer out. He will be eligible from day one. If that player goes to another acc school, the NCAA will add on a year of eligibility.
Well, that was more so my point. The rule is only silly if it's not enforced. If the rule doesn't apply to the football factory schools, then it becomes silly.

I was surprised that Mack was immediately eligible to play for Pitt last season...

Go Pitt.
True. I don't know Mack's story, but It's pretty clear why the dude transferred from UGA and why this dude then left OSU and is isn't any true hardship involved other than they'd have to compete to be a starter.

Reactions: pbrad
Okay - with Tate Martell having his sit-out upon transfer requirement waived today, for no good reason that I can gather, and with the same thing happening earlier with Justin Fields leaving Georgia for OSU, when is this silly rule going to just be revoked? Or, is it going to be like everything else in major college athletics these days where only the football factories, blue bloods and/or SEC money-printing schools get away with the benefits that come alongside breaking the rules and policies that have long been established?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ver-for-immediate-eligibility-in-2019-season/

Fields was a slightly different situation because he cited a pretty public incident of racism directed at him. I feel like that's legitimate enough but Martell really doesn't have a reason.

If rules are expected to work there can't be exceptions.

If a player transfers, the player sits out one year, or the player stays where he is which was his choice to begin with.

Simple!

Exceptions are a built in reason for abuse, translated , there really isnt a rule in place.
Or we'll apply the rule when we feel like it?

It is not unthinkable that all transfers will be immediately eligible in the near future

If rules are expected to work there can't be exceptions.

If a player transfers, the player sits out one year, or the player stays where he is which was his choice to begin with.

Simple!

Exceptions are a built in reason for abuse, translated , there really isnt a rule in place.
Or we'll apply the rule when we feel like it?

That line of reasoning isn't even practical. If you kill someone who broke into your home and is trying to kill you or a family member, should you be guilty of murder? Should a battered spouse have to stay in a marriage because "you have to live with your choices"? Life isn't a zero sum equation.

Forcing someone to sit out because they need to be closer to their family or because they ended up in a situation that is very poor for them is just silly and would only encourage coaches to be even bigger dirt bags when it came to embellishing to recruits and their families. Loosened transfer rules would hurt the bigger programs more than it would ever hurt a school like Pitt.

It's not unthinkable that if that were to happen, I'd lose interest in college football.
I error on the side of loosening it up, to benefit the players. I think you need some sort of guidelines though. a completely wide open FA pool after every year, may be a bit too wild west for me. but i'll admit, I currently like it.

not getting some of these posters who are going with the "back in my day, kids sat 3 years and then earned playing time, kids these days.'' It's coming off as quite pathetic..

what I don't get is, if immediate playing time is so important to a lot of these recruits, if they don't want to sit for 2+ years, why do they all continue to go to bama, ga, osu, etc.. if you are a 4 star QB and you want to play, why are you going to Georgia who has a great freshman QB. Why are we not seeing this "instant gratification millennial mindset" play out in recruiting. They should be going to the non blue bloods more yet the rich get richer..

It is not unthinkable that all transfers will be immediately eligible in the near future

Well, these recent exceptions certainly appear to have set a precedent. So if someone wants to transfer, they would sure seem to have pretty solid grounds to expect to be permitted to be immediately eligible at their new school, if they feel that's what's in their best interests. To do otherwise would certainly raise the question of a double standard or discrimination.

not getting some of these posters who are going with the "back in my day, kids sat 3 years and then earned playing time, kids these days.'' It's coming off as quite pathetic..

When I hear anyone say "Back in my day..." I automatically brace for a convoluted, inaccurate memory of the Steelers from the 70's or some other story about how happy everyone was to be miserable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT