ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M, are they delusional?

Neither has anybody else.

Jimbo would be a fool to take that job.
Agree!

Dude , that place is different
Bet that.
Google A&M jokes there’s a reason why they are what they.

It’s not for everybody; and it’s not a historic FB destination.

Boudreaux was sitting in the City Bar in Maurice, Louisiana, one Saturday night, and had several beers under his belt. After a while, he looked at the guy sitting next to him, and asked him, "Hey, you wanna hear a good Aggie joke, you?"

The big guy replied, "Let me tell you something. I'm an oil field roughneck, I weigh 270 pounds, and I don't like Cajuns. My buddy here is a pro football player, weighs 300 pounds, and he doesn't like Cajuns either. His friend on his other side is a professional wrestler, weighs 320 pounds, always has a chip on his shoulder, and he likes Cajuns even less than we do, and we are all Aggies. Do you really want to tell us an Aggie joke?"

Boudreau, all 150 pounds of Cajun attitude, told him, "Mais, I guess not. After all I don't want have to explain it three times!

He has underachieved. He has had 1 year meeting expectations and it was entirely with someone else's players. Since that first year with Johnny Football he has finished 4th, 5th, 6th, 4th, and 5th in his division. He will end his career with 5+ losses in 4 straight years. They have been an average P5 team winning 8 games a year. That is not acceptable at Texas A&M.

I'd love to have Sumlin and be fine with those results here, but it doesn't cut it at A&M.

Last edited:
Florida State is a great job because it's basically an SEC school with an ACC schedule and massive talent within 100 miles in any direction (well except the ocean.)

There isn't much of anything within 100 miles of Tallahassee, though some good talent has come out of the city itself.

They are going to fire Sumlin and they are going after Jimbo Fisher. I know that A&M has tons and tons of cash, but will Jimbo take this job? I would say its a long shot but crazier things have happened.
If he wants to win another NC, he will stay at FSU.

SEC west is brutal with Bama, Auburn, LSU being top tiered talent and Arkansas, Miss State and Mississippi all capable of getting you on a good day for them. Two crossover games into the SEC east.

In the ACC, FSU has Clemson, Lousiville and NC State.

I doubt that either Louisiville or N. C. State will be good for the long haul.

Thus, beat Clemson and win the ACC championship game have a reasonably good shot at the playoffs.

If he wants to win another NC, he will stay at FSU.

SEC west is brutal with Bama, Auburn, LSU being top tiered talent and Arkansas, Miss State and Mississippi all capable of getting you on a good day for them. Two crossover games into the SEC east.

In the ACC, FSU has Clemson, Lousiville and NC State.

I doubt that either Louisiville or N. C. State will be good for the long haul.

Thus, beat Clemson and win the ACC championship game have a reasonably good shot at the playoffs.
If he wants the easiest path, then he would go to Nebraska. The Big 10 West is a breeze, you have the Big 10 hype machine behind you, and then just win the Big 10 Championship game.

If he wants the easiest path, then he would go to Nebraska. The Big 10 West is a breeze, you have the Big 10 hype machine behind you, and then just win the Big 10 Championship game.
You can't recruit there. If you want to be Wisconsin and be a good program, who clearly has no chance to actually win the NC, then sure, but he is in a better situation at FSU with little true competition outside of Clemson and Miami.

There are a lot of football programs that like to think of themselves as "sleeping giants" and will mention it to anyone within hearing range: Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA, UNLV, Arizona, and so on.

The one I actually believe is Texas A&M. There is no reason someone shouldn't be able to win more there. They have the largest football revenue in the country, edging out even their former instate rival Texas Longhorns. Their budget is something like 30 million more a year than Alabama and Ohio State even. Last year they led the SEC in attendance. The SEC! They're in east Texas! There is no reason they can't be way better.
The problem for “sleeping giants” is that there are already other giants in that conference who haven’t been sleeping. The big boys in the SEC aren’t about to roll-over and let aTm take over.

Brohm would be a downgrade over Petrino. Sumlin would be an upgrade over Brohn.

The musical chairs in college football is a disgrace.

I would say there is a very good chance that Petrino ends up elsewhere. Then the dominoes could start falling. Brohm back to Ville. Purdue opens up. Not going to say it, but I would not be shocked.

Did somebody really say there is no difference between Sumlin and Fischer?
Sumlin is horrible. Somehow he convinced the country he was this great offensive mind. But if you look at his history as a coach, he has like one year of calling plays. He was always the WR coach, or the "co" coordinator they call the really good recruiter they dont' want to get away. He then realized you hire the Mike Leach or Art Briles coaching tree, which allowed him to put up lots of points.
But he himself has never done anything in any real coordinating role, unlike Jimbo. The only good season he has had was: 1. with a Mike Leach disciple calling the plays, and 2. with a generational talent and Heisman trophy winner at QB.

That's their great mystery. If they're in the best football conference, with the most total revenue, the largest overall budget, and can get 100,000+ fans per game, in the most football crazed region of the country...why aren't they a blue blood?
They have always been, and will always be, the in-state red-headed stepchild to Texas.

Reactions: paulbl99
Jackie won 5 of 7 games against them when he coached A&M.
I’m not just talking about sports or football. I’m talking about as institutions.

But since you mentioned it, Texas dominated the all-time series 76–37–5. Jackie’s run at A&M was a blip on the radar.

I’m not just talking about sports or football. I’m talking about as institutions.

But since you mentioned it, Texas dominated the all-time series 76–37–5. Jackie’s run at A&M was a blip on the radar.
I guess his run at PITT now looks like a blip on the radar.

That’s a bingo

Texas University dominates that place in the Lone Star.

As for football prior to Jackie it wasn’t much, save for a couple teams Bear coached. All the money and expectations aside, A&M is not that easy at which to win.

But it does have one heck of a band.

At FSU, Jimbo is going to make staff changes as FSU is going to give him more money for assistants. That fan that was yelling at Jimbo about a month ago was right, staff changes are going to happen.

A&M can go out and spend a boatload of money. That said, they're no different than most college teams that just field a good but not great team most years. They have the lure of the SEC now but still, FSU to TAMU is a pretty sizeable demotion. Unless they are trying to force Jimbo out or the money is millions upon millions more I have no idea why he would even consider that job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT