ADVERTISEMENT

Tez Walker ineligible

Jun 3, 2023
NCAA denies appeal for him to play this season. Mack Brown is mad, but who really cares about that. The NCAA specifically states your 2nd transfer has to be for medical or safety reasons. Walkers contention that he was feeling stress and anxiety from being away from his Grandma didn’t cut it. I can’t see how anyone is surprised here.

NCAA denies appeal for him to play this season. Mack Brown is mad, but who really cares about that. The NCAA specifically states your 2nd transfer has to be for medical or safety reasons. Walkers contention that he was feeling stress and anxiety from being away from his Grandma didn’t cut it. I can’t see how anyone is surprised here.
😂

The surprise is just my general self loathing that everything bad happens to us and nothing bad to other teams. I'll take it!

Reactions: President Stache
His coach at KSU left and I think like half the team transferred. That probably didn't help his cause that a ton of teammates left for non-family purposes.

If any university and their legal team is going to take on the NCAA, it’d be North Carolina. I hope they play Tez Walker anyways and then simply don’t recognize the ensuing punishment. Would make for good entertainment.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
How did Kent State have 2 WR's that everyone wanted from the transfer portal?. They had a putrid passing offense last year. Based on how Tez's ex KSU teammate, Dante Cephas, is running 3rd team for PSU, I'm going to say that UNC ain't missing much by Tez not being eligible.

His coach at KSU left and I think like half the team transferred. That probably didn't help his cause that a ton of teammates left for non-family purposes.
There should be an exception if the coach leaves prior to the end of his contract because that's a really shitty place to be in as a player but i don't think the coach should be able to take kids with him.

As a fan of a hoops program whose own administration expelled its best guard due to an incident that occurred a year after the school itself had it REINSTATED him and spent mega bucks to let him travel to Europe with the team … Let’s just say I don’t have much sympathy

You can agree or disagree with the 2X transfer rule, but wasn’t the kid already enrolled at UNC for the spring semester when they instituted it? That is kind of BS. I think all the crying about his mental health by UNC, Mack Brown, Bilas and talking heads is a joke. But I think if he transferred before the rule he should be grandfathered in this season.

Reactions: FireballZ
I think it’s more that he transferred the first time during his freshman year because the team cancelled their season. He never played at NCCU.

But I think if he transferred before the rule he should be grandfathered in this season.

The rule has been in place for a while now. What they changed was that they decided to actually start enforcing the rule more the way that it was written as opposed to allowing people to be exempt from the rules because, well, pretty much just because they wanted to be exempt.

The rule has been in place for a while now. What they changed was that they decided to actually start enforcing the rule more the way that it was written as opposed to allowing people to be exempt from the rules because, well, pretty much just because they wanted to be exempt.
Okay, the reporting on it made it sound like they came down with it in January. That makes sense since I have not seen anyone argue it was after the fact. If that’s the case then UNC, Mack and everyone knew the rule. They might not like the rule but that’s the rule. Too bad. If the kid’s emotional well being is only supported by playing football, well good luck in life.

I dunno. Still think it’s pretty stupid. In high school, he initially committed (didn’t sign) to ECU. Their coaching staff left so he decommitted. He then committed to ETSU but he tore his ACL in his senior season of high school so ETSU pulled. After sitting out a year to rehab, he enrolls at NCCU as a freshman… and then they cancel their season without him ever playing a game. So he looks for somewhere else to actually play and transfers to Kent State for that season. Plays 2 years there, and then the Kent St coaches leave. At the time, meets the requirements for a two-transfer waiver, signs with and enrolls at UNC. I think this was like Jan 9th this year. Then on Jan 11th (whatever it was, it was 2 days after he signs and enrolls in classes) the NCAA announces the new rules.

Regardless of whether the reason was grandma, think it’s pretty crappy that a kid that only played for 1 school (he only ended up at Kent because of the canceled season) and transfers 2 days before the new rules are announced can’t play.

IMO they shouldn’t even count NCCU as anything since their season was canceled and he left as a result.

And we have grad transfers that have played at 4 schools. Look at JT Daniels going from USC to Georgia to WVU and now to Rice, for example. Or our very own Jurk going from ND to BC to us.

Then on Jan 11th (whatever it was, it was 2 days after he signs and enrolls in classes) the NCAA announces the new rules.

Again, it wasn't new rules. It was the NCAA telling people that they weren't going to get exceptions to the rules just because they wanted to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT