ADVERTISEMENT

That was a buzzkill

Bethlehemjohn

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
I’m not going to slam the team, but I am very disappointed. We had it all in front of us, but couldn’t handle the pressure. For as loose as we played all year long, we were as tight as you can be tonight. That was very evident by the free throw shooting.

I was hoping we’d win tonight and we’d clinch a tie for the championship and clinch a double bye, but being a Pitt fan is never that easy. Now there is a good chance that we don’t even get a double bye with a loss.

I want to view it more as a wake up call that they are good when ready and prepared, and very vulnerable when not. Saturday probably got to their head both with Cuse win and Miami game. This is what happens. Miami is solid and will be tough, but I’m thinking much better execution and prep upcoming.

Reactions: Dewey Eye
I’m not going to slam the team, but I am very disappointed. We had it all in front of us, but couldn’t handle the pressure. For as loose as we played all year long, we were as tight as you can be tonight. That was very evident by the free throw shooting.

I was hoping we’d win tonight and we’d clinch a tie for the championship and clinch a double bye, but being a Pitt fan is never that easy. Now there is a good chance that we don’t even get a double bye with a loss.

I was so worried about this game all year because of it being Brey's last game and us never winning there. I think I probably labeled it an L and I know I picked VT as an L. I hate playing ND. I hate the way they play even though we basically play the same way. Every year for 20 years, its white guys raining 3s on us

Feel bad for the players. This sounds stupid, but are we honoring this team in 20 years if they would have won tonight? I think yes. First ACC championship (even if not a 1-seed) would have been worthy of that.

Now they risk being completely forgettable in the Pitt annuls.

Shooting under 57% from the line. As poor as we played, we shoot 75% from the line and there is the difference in scoring margin. Spot on about that reflecting about playing tight. Also came off a huge emotional high against Syracuse.

Missed opportunity. Just like Miami had a missed opportunity blowing a 25 point lead, and UVA losing to BC and UNC. It is almost fitting all three leaders choked away chances to finish off winning this conference.

Now Pitt is going to have to win it the hard way, and if they do, they'll be no doubt they earned a championship and the 1 seed and get a NCAA bid. And if they don't, this will likely go down one of the biggest blown opportunities in Pitt hoops history.

Last edited:
Feel bad for the players. This sounds stupid, but are we honoring this team in 20 years if they would have won tonight? I think yes. First ACC championship (even if not a 1-seed) would have been worthy of that.

Now they risk being completely forgettable in the Pitt annuls.
Absolutely it would have been one of those all-time honored teams. The turn-around story from 14th pick to 1st would just be fantastic. And it can still be one of those all-time teams. But Pitt is going to have to win Saturday. Assuming we don't win the ACC tournament or do significant damage in the NCAA, the difference between a good team and an all-time remembered team comes down to Saturday.

The good thing is that as frequently as Pitt teams play poorly against petrified dog manure like ND is this year, we nearly as often step it up in really tough situations like the Miami game will be, and if we don’t win such games outright, we typically play tough.

So, as predictable as this garbage performance tonight probably should have been, it will hopefully be likewise that a strong performance will follow, in a situation that would normally seem next to impossible after watching this debacle tonight.

Step up to the occasion boys, prove the naysayers wrong.

I'm still stewing over this one. Big, big disappointment. To play our worst game in months with an ACC regular season title on the line is just tough to take.

Said it before and after the cuse game this was a game that I thought was going to be a tough one to win. Pitt was coming off a huge emotional win at home and has Miami ahead. This was Breys last game so Nd was going to play well. They’ve been close all year.

Was hoping Pitt would be focused with what’s at stake but the game played out like I thought. Letting Nd run away and hide at the end of the first half was the ball game

I'm still stewing over this one. Big, big disappointment. To play our worst game in months with an ACC regular season title on the line is just tough to take.
I'm going to be stewing the whole way until Saturday, and then hopefully they'll make me forget about it. If they loose Saturday, this one may linger for a while.

I probably should be more disappointed, but I just had the feeling midway through the first half this just wasn't going to go our way today so I had the whole second half to absorb the loss.

But this was certainly a huge missed opportunity. I expect a much better game on Saturday. I'm not saying I think we will win, but I feel like it will be a close battle.

And there's also a good chance we will be a 1 seed in the NIT. Which is even more depressing realizing how much was at stake in the ND game.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT