ADVERTISEMENT

The B1G TV deal just dropped

So with the deal finalized, is it safe to assume the B1G isn't adding anyone else this decade?

So with the deal finalized, is it safe to assume the B1G isn't adding anyone else this decade?

Pat Fordes column has a BIG Source directly saying "We are not done expanding".

It's just a matter of having the ACC GOR get more managable for some teams to move on in a few years.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Well, if they do, unless they have a pre-negotiated re-opener clause that would give them an opportunity to add $$$$$ if they add more teams, they’d have to divide the annual value by a bigger number, thereby reducing the per school payout.

Can’t imagine the current members agreeing to that.

Last edited:
Pat Fordes column has a BIG Source directly saying "We are not done expanding".

It's just a matter of having the ACC GOR get more managable for some teams to move on in a few years.
All the revenue "former" ACC schools would get in the B1G would be contractually the ACC's until 2036. Whether it's 10 million or 200 million per year it ALL goes to the ACC until 2036.

We just need a few more articles about how the ACC revenue is actually doing well if you don’t compare that revenue to other conferences and instead just compare it to the ACC.
That’s been therapeutic.

Or about changing "demographics". Lol. Should have gotten into the Big 10 during the scandal. That was Pitt's leverage. Instead, dipsticks scheduled 2 more games.

Or about changing "demographics". Lol. Should have gotten into the Big 10 during the scandal. That was Pitt's leverage. Instead, dipsticks scheduled 2 more games.
Why would the Big Ten want Pitt, even if Penn State wanted us in, which they don’t? We offer them nothing they don’t already have. Pitt would need to go out and win a few championships to get a look. Leverage…..Pitt has 0 leverage.

You are the dipstick for thinking the Big 10 would have invited us because of scandals involving their teams.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Here are the teams I could care less in the B1G:

Nebraska
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Minnesota
Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern
Purdue
Enabler u

So that leaves:

Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio St

Is this rejection of 1B/yr/7yrs based on further expansion because I don't see USC and UCLA adding much other than a nice trip out of these hell holes in the winter?

• Haha
Reactions: LordoftheTides
ESPN better step up or it’s going to be extremely hard to recruit against all that air time those Big 10 teams are getting.

Clemson, FSU, Miami , UNC are probably losing their minds seeing Rutgers, Northwestern, Indiana getting 90 million

Here are the teams I could care less in the B1G:

Nebraska
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Minnesota
Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern
Purdue
Enabler u

So that leaves:

Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio St

Is this rejection of 1B/yr/7yrs based on further expansion because I don't see USC and UCLA adding much other than a nice trip out of these hell holes in the winter?

No, it's based on current makeup. Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, and yes, PSU, drive most of the value. USC will as well when they come aboard.

Isn't the Big Ten at 16 teams now (when USC/UCLA join)?

I don't know how each school gets $100m per year when $1 billion gets divided 16 ways. Really, more like 17 ways, because the conference itself gets a cut too.

Isn't the Big Ten at 16 teams now (when USC/UCLA join)?

I don't know how each school gets $100m per year when $1 billion gets divided 16 ways. Really, more like 17 ways, because the conference itself gets a cut too.
ESPN said 80-100m per team. Maybe that is factoring in bowl game money as well.

That would be some amazing bowl revenue :)

I suppose 80-100m is total compensation per school, not just from this $1 billion dollar deal. For instance, Big Ten Network revenue would be on top of the $1 billion deal with the networks. I'm sure they have various revenue streams like this, the TV deal is just the biggest piece.

Reactions: 4382
Yeah, I'm seeing between $90 to 100 million on multiple sites. And I've also read that they're not done - it's all about gobbling up the huge TV markets and teams that draw the TV sets or in other words - MONEY. I think the payout of $90 to 100 million is just the start. Like it or not, those guys are ruthless business men

Damn I hate Rutgers
Yeah, I guess they hit it lucky - in a way. Keep in mind, they bring in the NYC TV sets which is why they were added a few years ago. Same with Maryland with the Baltimore and Washington DC markets. This expansion plan has been in the works for a few years now. They're no dummies

All the revenue "former" ACC schools would get in the B1G would be contractually the ACC's until 2036. Whether it's 10 million or 200 million per year it ALL goes to the ACC until 2036.

There's going to be an inflection point with the ACC. This issue isn't what they are worth on the open market- it was going first and setting the floor and and taking on the longer terms to launch the ACC network.

The inflection point is going give schools the opportunity of paying to go or sticking with the ACC when they can close the money gap on the open market. At that point, why would they leave?

It’s just the big network deals in this number. BTN and bowl money add more per year to this pot. Plus, I don’t see streaming mentioned yet (unless I missed it) which is supposed to be added to this deal.

As far as expansion, this article implies that the B1G has negotiated add ons to this contract for expansion. So it wouldn’t be splitting the pie into smaller pieces. The pie would get bigger too.

Last edited:
ESPN better step up or it’s going to be extremely hard to recruit against all that air time those Big 10 teams are getting.

Clemson, FSU, Miami , UNC are probably losing their minds seeing Rutgers, Northwestern, Indiana getting 90 million
Why those schools, what about Pitt? Why is UNC over Pitt? What the **** have they ever done in football?

Reactions: pittdan77
It’s just the big network deals in this number. BTN and bowl money add more per year to this pot. Plus, I don’t see streaming mentioned yet (unless I missed it) which is supposed to be added to this deal.

The deal announced today includes games each year that will be shown on Peacock.

I believe the Peacock rebranding, to "Peacock, the official home of Rutgers football" is going to be announced next week.

• Haha
Reactions: MJG-90
Putting aside the future changes (like a potential Power 2 world), would Rutgers or Maryland be better off today in the ACC?

The immediate response is "no" because they make more money in the Big Ten. But more money for what? Athletics. Rutgers and Maryland, the universities, don't need this money and get little or no cut back to the university. It's Rutgers and Maryland athletics that need this money. And they need that money because they are trying to keep pace with Penn St and Ohio St and other schools for which they will never 'catch up' as football programs. They have money....and miserable football programs that bring little pride/joy/acclaim to the universities, but more likely pain and embarrassment. Isn't the point of the athletics programs to bring notoriety to the school and joy & bonding to the fans and alumni?

Damn I hate Rutgers
Why? Certainly shouldn't be because of any envy for their current athletic financial status (or Maryland, either). Here is an excerpt from the linked article written 2 months ago:

USA TODAY’s Steve Berkowitz reported in May on conference revenues from the power conferences, including the B1G, for the 2021 fiscal year which was impacted by COVID-19”

Big Ten
Payouts to schools: Ranged from $43.1 million to $49.1 million. (In 2020, they were about $54.3 million for each of its 12 longest-standing members, $27.6 million for Maryland and $11.4 million for Rutgers. Maryland and Rutgers also received loans from the conference.) Payouts to schools other than Maryland and Rutgers were helped by those two schools beginning to repay loans they had received while receiving smaller annual shares. Combined, they returned $29 million to the conference in fiscal 2021. They still owe $145 million, with most due from Maryland.”
https://saturdaytradition.com/michi...ions-to-see-notable-increase-per-michigan-ad/

Last edited:
Good info @PittMan 72

i knew those schools athletic financials were a mess, but didn't realize how bad. this is another things PSU has going for it....2 teams in their football division are so hamstrung financially that they can't even compete. just keep taking those 2 free wins every year and then saying you play in the toughest conference in football.

Some day those schools will get on square footing - maybe not for another 10 years - but maybe with equal shares they can actually compete and make PSU earn those Ws. I am sure PSU was one of the people pushing for those Eastern schools to get lesser shares for a while, so as not to threaten their empire.

OK - all kinds of speculation out there but I saw a couple of articles that make more sense than others. If you add up this new massive TV deal, The Big Ten Network, Bowl game and the CF Playoffs, each B1G team will receive "appoximately" $102 to 104 million per team starting in 2023.

And it sounds like they're pushing for ND (obviously) and might expand into the Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco markets. They'll be more of a somewhat national conference whereas the ACC and SEC will be regional - if the ACC is still around

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT