ADVERTISEMENT

The B1G TV deal just dropped

OK - all kinds of speculation out there but I saw a couple of articles that make more sense than others. If you add up this new massive TV deal, The Big Ten Network, Bowl game and the CF Playoffs, each B1G team will receive "appoximately" $102 to 104 million per team starting in 2023.

And it sounds like they're pushing for ND (obviously) and might expand into the Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco markets. They'll be more of a somewhat national conference whereas the ACC and SEC will be regional - if the ACC is still around
🤦‍♂️ Man, that’ll drive your nits into the 2nd division permanently.

OK - all kinds of speculation out there but I saw a couple of articles that make more sense than others. If you add up this new massive TV deal, The Big Ten Network, Bowl game and the CF Playoffs, each B1G team will receive "appoximately" $102 to 104 million per team starting in 2023.

And it sounds like they're pushing for ND (obviously) and might expand into the Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco markets. They'll be more of a somewhat national conference whereas the ACC and SEC will be regional - if the ACC is still around
Look at what we have here. A obsessed Ped st fan on a Pitt board. It must be hard to take seeing Pitt having a better program than that cesspool in central Pa

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
If all of that is true then it stands to reason that the ACC is about to get a bigger payday.
No. Because it's also about matchups. Moving a unc or fsu etc to the big or sec is worth more to the networks than them playing in the acc.

They will move in the future. It's a matter of when.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Look at what we have here. A obsessed Ped st fan on a Pitt board. It must be hard to take seeing Pitt having a better program than that cesspool in central Pa
Let this sink in too. Picked it up online today:

Holy Cow. Didn't realize how strong this new money is until I picked this up online:

Annual national media revenue, per reports of deals:
NFL: $10B per year
EPL: $4.2B per year
NBA: $2.6B per year
MLB: $1.96B per year
BIG TEN: $1.07B per year
NHL: $625M per year
SEC: $588M per year

This conference absolutely dwarfs SEC money going forward. Feels so good to be part of this powerful conference

Holy Cow. Didn't realize how strong this new money is until I picked this up online:

This conference absolutely dwarfs SEC money going forward. Feels so good to be part of this powerful conference

Sec contract for the CBS games will significantly bump that up. Sec and big 10 will be in the ballpark of each other 2024.

What does that money get you? Like for real. There is a lot of mediocre football in the Big Ten. How does that money make the fan experience any better? Did knowing the school was pocketing more money than ACC schools make it more enjoyable watching 11-11 football the last two years? Did knowing James Franklin got a big payday make you feel better about losing to Illinois in a debacle of a game? Not really sure why the fans care how much money the school gets. I guess counting dollars is at least better than counting fans in the stands.

It's a billion a year for seven years. Those that like to freak out can go ahead and have at it.
I mean that's "only" $62.5 million/year/team. Far less than these $100 million predictions. The $100 million reports are including CFP revenue, bowl revenue, NCAAT revenue, etc which the ACC also gets. Isn't the ACC at $30 million per year per school for ONLY TV revenue? And if so, is this really as big of a deal as it seems?

Sorry to hear how badly you feel about your life.

Reactions: FireballZ
What does that money get you? Like for real. There is a lot of mediocre football in the Big Ten. How does that money make the fan experience any better? Did knowing the school was pocketing more money than ACC schools make it more enjoyable watching 11-11 football the last two years? Did knowing James Franklin got a big payday make you feel better about losing to Illinois in a debacle of a game? Not really sure why the fans care how much money the school gets. I guess counting dollars is at least better than counting fans in the stands.
But the thing is - up until this massive deal - that SEC were the kings of national TV and paid out more money to their members. The Big Ten got televised but didn't get into the households like the SEC. HS blue chippers were constantly seeing Alabama, Georgia, LSUs etc....on TV. Not the case going forward. If you don't think HS recruits pay attention to what teams are constantly on TV, you're just fooling yourself. The Big Ten recruiting will pick up nationally over the next few years because of their teams constantly on TV.

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
I mean that's "only" $62.5 million/year/team. Far less than these $100 million predictions. The $100 million reports are including CFP revenue, bowl revenue, NCAAT revenue, etc which the ACC also gets. Isn't the ACC at $30 million per year per school for ONLY TV revenue? And if so, is this really as big of a deal as it seems?
The ACC total payout was around $35 to 38 million per team and I've seen it projected to be around $45 million in 2023

But the thing is - up until this massive deal - that SEC were the kings of national TV and paid out more money to their members. The Big Ten got televised but didn't get into the households like the SEC. HS blue chippers were constantly seeing Alabama, Georgia, LSUs etc....on TV. Not the case going forward. If you don't think HS recruits pay attention to what teams are constantly on TV, you're just fooling yourself. The Big Ten recruiting will pick up nationally over the next few years because of their teams constantly on TV.
can't imagine how well recruiting will pick up when recruits hear about ohio st, michigan, and penn st for the first time

The sec is still king
Because outside of Ohio state the b10 can’t compete for championships
You can give all billion to Rutgers and they will still suck

That doesn’t include revenue from the Big Ten network. That is an additional $20 million per school.

The sec is still king
Because outside of Ohio state the b10 can’t compete for championships
You can give all billion to Rutgers and they will still suck
Each league has their Vanderbilts and Rutgers but Rutgers brings in the NYC market which is why they were added. Same with Maryland - the Baltimore and Washington DC market. I read that the Rutgers-OSU game a couple of years back at Rutgers was the highest rated NYC TV college football game - regular season - in 25 years. Let that sink in. Like it or not, the B1G is killing it right now and are only looking to expand in the next couple of years

Last edited:
Each league has their Vanderbilts and Rutgers but Rutgers brings in the NYC market which is why they were added. Same with Maryland - the Baltimore and Washington DC market. I read that the Rutgers-OSU game a couple of years back at Rutgers was the highest rated NYC TV college football game - regular season - in 25 years. Let that sink in. Like it or not, the B1G is killing it right now and are only looking to expand in the next couple of years
Rutgers give part not the New Jersey market -
Nobody in nyc cares

Shouldn't sink in at all because TV ratings out of context are meaningless. You have to consider time slot, channel, other programming it is going up against, all sorts of things. It is really a meaningless stat in isolation.

Holy shit! You come over here crowing as if you had something to do with it.

Fun Fact: You’re the same loser you were the day before the contact was signed.

Just because you feel better about your pathetic existence, it doesn’t really make it any better. You’re still coming to Pitt’s free board bragging about something you have nothing to do with.

My Lions will be in the Playoffs in the next 2 to 3 years. Keep in mind, word is that the CF playoffs are expanding in the very near future and outside of our OL, the roster is STACKED. Wanna make some easy money? PSU is taking down OSU this year.
Nobody cares. This is a Pitt message board.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
You are an idiot. Every game is on TV. The SEC is on frigging ESPN all day. The new BT TV contract will change absolutely NOTHING at the top of college football. What it may do is change up the middle as a Rutgers or Indiana can buy a successful coach winning at Pitt, WVU, NC State, etc.

My Lions will be in the Playoffs in the next 2 to 3 years. Keep in mind, word is that the CF playoffs are expanding in the very near future and outside of our OL, the roster is STACKED. Wanna make some easy money? PSU is taking down OSU this year.
Penn St is currently an 11 point home underdog to Ohio St, which will probably end up converting to around +350 or so on the money line. You better hurry up to the window for your easy money before someone else beats you to it.

It's the same thing. The money has shown that the fan has benefited zero from it. Name a school that invested it into something for the fans? Did Indiana get better concessions? He'll they didn't even get better players. That goes for 10 other schools in that conf

The easier money might be taking Purdue and the money line....

dude…

You’re incorrect.

The reports of 100M annually ALWAYS included the extra revenue streams (CFP, etc). No one stated that the TV rights deal alone was getting 100M annually for the life of the deal. It does escalate though.. This is a 7 year deal. That would have been MUCH higher than the 1 billion (and it actually sill is 1.2B or so) number.

Math, my man. Math.

No need to attempt to twist the narrative. Just treasure the information.

The news that IS meaningful is that the money difference between SEC and B1G is greater than many thought….as evidenced by Finebaum show yesterday. Folks weren’t happy.

However, both conferences will still make at least 30-40M annually, total, versus the non Power 2 conferences.

No. Because it's also about matchups. Moving a unc or fsu etc to the big or sec is worth more to the networks than them playing in the acc.

They will move in the future. It's a matter of when.
If Clemson, UNC, FSU, and Miami are so valuable to the networks, it stands to reason that they could carry the ACC's tv package, similar to how a handful of schools do so in the other conferences. Then again, it's not like three of those four schools have been giving anyone a reason to put them on TV regularly.

If Clemson, UNC, FSU, and Miami are so valuable to the networks, it stands to reason that they could carry the ACC's tv package, similar to how a handful of schools do so in the other conferences. Then again, it's not like three of those four schools have been giving anyone a reason to put them on TV regularly.

C'mon, that's blasphemy to bring common sense to a message board.

Reactions: pittdan77
C'mon, that's blasphemy to bring common sense to a message board.
No ABC/ESPN presence in the B1G deal. Don’t imagine that they have any intentions of, or will be, scaling back on televising CFB. Lots of CFB inventory needed for ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and their various streaming platforms in addition to the SECN and ACCN.

This entire situation is is still coagulating. The B1G is certainly pleased with the rewards of the USC/UCLA heist. But things are far from static on the TV/media rights front. Now that yesterday’s news is out there, we’ll see what develops.

No ABC/ESPN presence in the B1G deal. Don’t imagine that they have any intentions of, or will be, scaling back on televising CFB. Lots of CFB inventory needed for ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and their various streaming platforms in addition to the SECN and ACCN.

This entire situation is is still coagulating. The B1G is certainly pleased with the rewards of the USC/UCLA heist. But things are far from static on the TV/media rights front. Now that yesterday’s news is out there, we’ll see what develops.
That's the most sane answer to the question. The B1G escalator is going to take a somewhat valuable brand to make it happen. Maybe an SEC school? I know, crazy talk, but why wouldn't the B1G go whale fishing?

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
It’s so dam frustrating that Miami plops in the bed nearly every season, but suddenly plays above and beyond their potential against us. 😡

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT