ADVERTISEMENT

The Bubble Viewing Guides from last month have been lost to the ether....

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
... but there was one of them, in which Vandy had just had a big win, in which I said something along the lines of...

"How does a guy take a preseason Top 20 team and have them fighting for their bubble lives? If Vandy misses the dance, Stallings could be fired."

Well.. they made the dance. Barely.

But the point still remains, and it is troubling.

Vanderbilt played in a very weak conference, was a preseason Top 20 team, had 2 future NBA first rounders on their roster.... and went 19-13 and almost missed the dance.

That's the most recent body of work we have on Coach Stallings.

That's like barely making the dance with Pitt's 2009 roster.

That's concerning. He recruited well enough to be a preseason Top 20 team.... but then, by his own admission in late february, "lost" the team.

That's why he was about to be canned when we saved him from that fate.

He needs to be asked about what happened to THIS year's Vandy team and how did things go so wrong, and how can he assure Pitt fans that it was an abberation.

Talk about making a bad day worse
Now I learn that Sprinkles is gone.

UPitt '89, you cite Vanderbilt's 19-13 record amongst your trashing of them but no other details. Their 19-13 record vs our 21-12 record this past year really isn't all that different when you care to look a litter further into some of the details. I'm not even going to mention Pitt's OOC schedule but 5 of Vanderbilt's 13 losses are OOC from the following:

L @Kansas by 7 pts
L @Baylor by 2 pts
L vs Dayton by 5 pts
L @Purdue by 13 pts
L @ Texas by 14 pts

That was a murderous row OOC schedule not to mention all but Dayton were on the road at their place. You have 5 losses above but there's definitely no shame in losing @Kansas by 7 and @Baylor by 2, not to mention the loss to Dayton by 5 even though that one wasn't on the road.

SEC definitely was better than the ACC this year but they did have to play Kentucky twice and Texas A&M twice and managed to win one from each.

So based on the above, I don't think you can really say they fell flat on their face this past year relative to the talent they did or didn't have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT