ADVERTISEMENT

The incident that changed the trajectory of the season

Why?

Because they are kids.

Let's all take it easy and let then figure this out amongst themselves.
If, big if, Toney acted as portrayed, the entire team should have stomped Toney.

If Toney acted as depicted, Capel should have dismissed Toney.

There is absolutely no excuse for the behavior people are reporting as true.

Last edited:
From what it sounds like, Toney is one of the biggest leaders in the team. He confronted X and Trey regarding shooting too much and their was a fight.
How can you be one of the biggest leaders when you are the one complaining about not getting the ball enough after the team just played its best game of the season?

That is not leadership, that is selfishness.

If a fight broke out, everyone should have administered Toney a beating.

If, big if, Toney acted as portrayed, the entire team should have stomped Toney.
To what portrayal are you referring? Where did you see more than him calling out players?

To what portrayal are you referring? Where did you see more than him calling out players?
I am seeing it described that after the Georgia Tech home win, he complained about not getting the ball on open looks. His problems were with Trey and X. Trey "ran" from the argument and Toney and X got into a physical confrontation.

I don't know if that is true or not, but I believe several people are indicating that.

If true, this is ALL on Toney.

Coach Capel referred to this incident on the podcast. This incident changed our season.

Following the GT game at home where Trey had 14 points and 9 assists, he and X were challenged/confronted in the locker room by Toney regarding being “looked off” during the game and not getting the ball. This was after a great win! X was hit in the mele. That game, Toney scored 6 points on 2-7 shooting. X scored 11 points on 2-10. That is the last time X and Trey have both scored in double figures and their last win. That’s selfishness. Say what you want. All the games before the GT game, Toney averaged 6 attempts per game. Following the GT game, he has averaged 12 attempts per game. Trey, since the GT game, has averaged 6 shot attempts. X has not really changed his shot attempts so no real change with him. So if you look closely at Trey’s lack of scoring production, which is indicated by his low shot attempts, refer back to the GT post game altercation. This was the turning point of the season. The team was 6-7 in the league and knocking on the NCAA or NIT door.
He has given up his offensive game to be the glue to the team to keep the dysfunction to a minimum. I didn’t even included the disgruntled Murphy. If you have been to Pitt’s games and you sit anywhere close to the families, you will notice Toney’s mom screaming at players and coaches.

Only those in the locker room know what really happened. And I guarantee depending on who you ask you would have totally different versions.

Yes teams fight and argue...both good and bad teams. But this team has internal issues. You have Hamilton talking about players not listening to coaches and JC with his quote about why X didn’t start the second half of a game a few weeks back.

Like most I didn’t expect JC to work miracles after walking into a horrible situation. But the bottom line is JC is being paid millions to solve chemistry issues and not have his team fall apart at the end of the season. During this 7 game losing streak we have lost to GT a team we beat before...we did not come out ready to play at all in the 1st half. We get blown out by Clemson a team that is not more talented than Pitt. JC needs to do some serious self evaluation. Others have made posts about this and I have numerous times as well...Besides changes to the roster he needs to upgrade his staff.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I didn’t think college locker rooms could be penetrated by venom to this degree by parents until I saw 2 posts on twitter by Toney’s parents.Divisive behavior at its finest. During the GT game that was won by Pitt, she posted, “ This sh-t is sad when the PG looks certain teammates off!!I call Bullsh-t“ This is the same game the post game altercation occurred. And then following the NC State game, Toney’s dad posted, “I just can’t believe that Au’diese Toney from Pitt is not on anybody’s NBA Draft mock yet?” I know this doesn’t sound like much but it further drives the narrative that selfish play has started to build his NBA resume. These are 2 different examples of selfishness spewing from parents and manifesting in a child and it’s effect on a team.

Last edited:
I didn’t think college locker rooms could be penetrated by venom to this degree until I saw 2 posts on twitter by Toney’s parents.Divisive behavior at its finest. During the GT game that was won by Pitt, she posted, “ This sh-t is sad when the PG looks certain teammates off!!I call Bullsh-t“ This is the same game the post game altercation occurred. And then following the NC State game, Toney’s dad posted, “I just can’t believe that Au’diese Toney from Pitt is not on anybody’s NBA Draft mock yet?” I know this doesn’t sound like much but it further drives the narrative that selfish play has started to build his NBA resume. These are 2 different examples of selfishness spewing from parents and manifesting in a child and it’s effect on a team.
Wow, shame on the parents. They are a huge part of this toxic environment. If true, they played a huge part in the collapse of this season. Their personalities I'm sure would never believe it though.

Reactions: panther4life32
Coach Capel referred to this incident on the podcast. This incident changed our season.

Following the GT game at home where Trey had 14 points and 9 assists, he and X were challenged/confronted in the locker room by Toney regarding being “looked off” during the game and not getting the ball. This was after a great win! X was hit in the mele. That game, Toney scored 6 points on 2-7 shooting. X scored 11 points on 2-10. That is the last time X and Trey have both scored in double figures and their last win. That’s selfishness. Say what you want. All the games before the GT game, Toney averaged 6 attempts per game. Following the GT game, he has averaged 12 attempts per game. Trey, since the GT game, has averaged 6 shot attempts. X has not really changed his shot attempts so no real change with him. So if you look closely at Trey’s lack of scoring production, which is indicated by his low shot attempts, refer back to the GT post game altercation. This was the turning point of the season. The team was 6-7 in the league and knocking on the NCAA or NIT door.
He has given up his offensive game to be the glue to the team to keep the dysfunction to a minimum. I didn’t even included the disgruntled Murphy. If you have been to Pitt’s games and you sit anywhere close to the families, you will notice Toney’s mom screaming at players and coaches.

That must have been same game Audese’s mom tweeted about point guard looking off players. Times are changing. Entitled parents exist everywhere.

I don't see the point of responding to a rumor or speculate who will or will not be back.

I hate agreeing with you, but this is 100% accurate. I understand we all speculate to a degree about roster turnover. But I find some of the discussion in this thread, especially by @Sean Miller Fan, to be really distasteful.

I don’t know if he’s trolling, leaning too far into his schtick, or what. But maybe we all take @DT_PITT’s advice and recognize these are competitive young kids.

Day of the UVA game I ran into Murphy’s dad at the Pete and he said - Brown/Murph/Toney/Champagnie are really close and that there was a brawl in the locker room on Thursday and notice the two I didn’t mention meaning X/Trey and he wasnt real complimentary of Capel and staff either.

thought it was odd at the time to mention to some random fan, but after seeing some of this stuff makes sense out of what has been going on. Especially Capels comments the other night about keeping parents out of the locker room/practices and he added the comment that he doesn’t go to their house and tell them how to parent.

definitely thinking there will be some major shakeup with the roster this offseason and hope it leaves us with a better TEAM.

I hate agreeing with you, but this is 100% accurate. I understand we all speculate to a degree about roster turnover. But I find some of the discussion in this thread, especially by @Sean Miller Fan, to be really distasteful.

I don’t know if he’s trolling, leaning too far into his schtick, or what. But maybe we all take @DT_PITT’s advice and recognize these are competitive young kids.
I do believe we will lose Murphy and KC. Rumor has it that he is not pleased with playing the 5 and thinks with Toney and Penny at the 3 and 4 will force him to compete the next 3 years for PT against Brown and the two incoming post players.

Last edited:

If Toney acted as depicted, Capel should have dismissed Toney.

There is absolutely no excuse for the behavior people are reporting as true.
I completely disagree with every part of this

Toney should be the captain of the team

Day of the UVA game I ran into Murphy’s dad at the Pete and he said - Brown/Murph/Toney/Champagnie are really close and that there was a brawl in the locker room on Thursday and notice the two I didn’t mention meaning X/Trey and he wasnt real complimentary of Capel and staff either.

thought it was odd at the time to mention to some random fan, but after seeing some of this stuff makes sense out of what has been going on. Especially Capels comments the other night about keeping parents out of the locker room/practices and he added the comment that he doesn’t go to their house and tell them how to parent.

definitely thinking there will be some major shakeup with the roster this offseason and hope it leaves us with a better TEAM.
I’ve heard that it’s not uncommon for X’s dad to be in the locker room . I also heard that X’s dad went in the Locker room after the GT post game altercation to talk to Toney about hitting his son but Toney had some choice words for him.

Last edited:
Sorry to say! Stuff like this ( if true ) doesn’t happen under a well coached team.

A good head coach and staff should ALWAYS know the pulse of the team. Whether during practice or constantly getting information from certain leaders of the team. During off time.

A good coach is always a step ahead of drama like this. Bad sign if you ask me.

Seems it’s time Capel starts getting his selfish players to either fear him or his staff or get out! Sadly, Capel’s average recruiting is making the get out part hard to do.

Reactions: BPKY and Pitt5593
Sorry to say! Stuff like this ( if true ) doesn’t happen under a well coached team.

A good head coach and staff should ALWAYS know the pulse of the team. Whether during practice or constantly getting information from certain leaders of the team. During off time.

Seems it’s time Capel starts getting his selfish players to either fear him or his staff or get out! Sadly, Capel’s average recruiting is making the get out part hard to do.
Stuff like this happens under the best teams with hall of fame coaches in Durham and chapel hill, too

every year there are fights among teammates in every sport in practice

Reactions: Chaos

SMF's behavior is quite clearly of a clinical nature these days. I don't know why any of you enable his illness - but this is what you get....

Reactions: PittFathead87

Yes it does. In fact, DT gave us two examples from Pitt’s golden years.

Stuff like this happens under the best teams with hall of fame coaches in Durham and chapel hill, too

every year there are fights among teammates in every sport in practice
I hear ya! However, a good head coach doesn’t allow it to effect the teams play. Obviously, it was a big enough situation where Capel lost his team.

According to folks in the know. Pitt’s collapse happened right after this incident

Yes it does. In fact, DT gave us two examples from Pitt’s golden years.
Again, I know fights happen all the time. However, a good head coach doesn’t lose his team after. Which is exactly what has happened if all this is true

Reactions: Ski11585
The only player who really should transfer is Murphy — I just don’t see him cracking the rotation at all next season, and he seems to hurt team chemistry. Even TB will have a legitimate role on next year’s team. We should be hoping that everyone else stays — people need to stop looking for excuses to run talented players off.

Wow. I asked on the pay site about some of this, and thanks for you guys responding to my post, since I pointed out that this was in fact brought up and offered by Jeff Capel himself. So while the exact details are not truly known, it is known that some crap definitely went down that he felt sunk their season (remember we were 6-7 in conference at that time and never won another game).

So I am guessing there will be subtraction this offseason, and it might not be the worst thing.

Whether that was the start of the downfall or not I don’t know. But, on the surface, IMO, when Murphy got hurt is when the spiral happened. He was never the same nor the team.

Ok, if a bit of all the posts in this thread are true

I ran into Murphy’s dad at the Pete and he said - Brown/Murph/Toney/Champagnie are really close

I’ve heard that X’s dad is a fixture in the locker room.
(Bad idea IMO)

At the beginning of the season it was apparent that X and Trey did not want to distribute the ball to certain players. Did you notice this?If there is a little truth to all of the posts here , and Toney is the leader it sounds to me like the group of players that want to win is being forced to be sub-servant to a few who for some reason are treated as above the team. The confrontation about ball distribution would then not be personally "give me the ball" but rather "give it up to the open man".

Very, very bad look for HCJC. I always have my doubts about bring ing blue-blood assistants in as HC non-blue blood programs, it is a different path to success altogether. IMO.

Again, I know fights happen all the time. However, a good head coach doesn’t lose his team after. Which is exactly what has happened if all this is true
Pretty hard to control if these guys are still listening to mommy and daddy. If they had any balls they’d go to mommy and daddy And tell them to shut the hell up, they don’t wanna hear it anymore, and keep their asses off social media making comments. That goes for Murphy and his daddy, Toney and his mommy, Ex and his daddy, and Trey and whoever is involved with that crap on his side. Grow up and get a set

I’ve heard that X’s dad is a fixture in the locker room. I also heard that X’s dad went in the Locker room after the GT post game altercation to talk to Toney about hitting his son but Toney had some choice words for him.
I have no idea if that happened, but I do know XJ’s family attends almost every game. His little sister is the girl they show dancing on the big screen that everyone cheers on.

Pitt most likely has one more game to play so it won’t be long to see whose unhappy and leaving . This accentuates the importance of having upperclassmen leadership and culture which this program has none .

Reactions: TWPitt
From reading this post, it any of it is true, here's what it means:

1. Toney: gone
2. Johnson and McGowens: gone
3. Murphy: gone
4. Champagnie: why would he stay for a team that will go 0-21
5. Jeffress: not coming into this mess

Listen, I said IF its true. We dont know for sure. I didn't listen to the podcast. But a losing team physically fighting with each other is going to have mass defections.

If this is true, 0-21 is probably in the cards.

Dude shut up. Have you ever played sports

Reactions: Pav9870
Dude shut up. Have you ever played sports
images

The ignore button is the best feature of this site. SMF is a WVU troll just looking for attention.

I have come to the conclusion SMF is the single most important guy to "Ignore" on here. I mean - a lot of guys on my list are still readable, if a little too shrill for my liking. I peek at them a lot. But SMF should not be even peeked at IMO. The guy just gets worse every. single. year.

I didn’t think college locker rooms could be penetrated by venom to this degree by parents until I saw 2 posts on twitter by Toney’s parents.Divisive behavior at its finest. During the GT game that was won by Pitt, she posted, “ This sh-t is sad when the PG looks certain teammates off!!I call Bullsh-t“ This is the same game the post game altercation occurred. And then following the NC State game, Toney’s dad posted, “I just can’t believe that Au’diese Toney from Pitt is not on anybody’s NBA Draft mock yet?” I know this doesn’t sound like much but it further drives the narrative that selfish play has started to build his NBA resume. These are 2 different examples of selfishness spewing from parents and manifesting in a child and it’s effect on a team.

Maybe similar to the impact that Khem Birch’s posse had on him.

I have no idea if that happened, but I do know XJ’s family attends almost every game. His little sister is the girl they show dancing on the big screen that everyone cheers on.
That’s great!! I had no idea that was X’s Sister.

Reactions: Drew1208
Even if this is completely true, do you honestly think that Pitt is the only team where players call each other out for issues with how the team played on the court? These are passionate, less than fully matured young men who are highly competitive and often volatile.

There are certainly many similar stories on so many teams.

If it will make you feel any better, you might want to know that Levance and Sam Young almost got into a full blown fist fight after Pitt lost to L-ville in 2009.

Jaron literally chased after Brandin through the seats at the Pete in the middle of a practice in 2003.

Relax dude.
I’m starting to wonder if SMF ever played sports. Arguments happen, tensions get high, players don’t always like each other. But it doesn’t mean everyone is going to fold up and leave. Thankfully, he has no info or perspective whatsoever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT