ADVERTISEMENT

The incident that changed the trajectory of the season

This whole thread is stupid and pointless. No one has any info whatsoever. And even if so, at least it shows internal competition and fire.

Reactions: BPKY
I have come to the conclusion SMF is the single most important guy to "Ignore" on here. I mean - a lot of guys on my list are still readable, if a little too shrill for my liking. I peek at them a lot. But SMF should not be even peeked at IMO. The guy just gets worse every. single. year.

When are you guys going to realize how knowledgeable I am about college basketball? How many times do I have to be right? I mean early in the season I made a post that this team reminds me of the Young/Artis team. Of course, everyone disagreed and everyone was wrong. We even have a physical fight this year like when Young got punched by Kithcart or Manigault (cant remember which).

I was the first to say 1 of the 4 will transfer. Nobody believed it and I will be right. If this is true, it may be 2-4 of the 4. Kids dont go through adversity anymore. They jet.

This may get worse before it gets better. And this kind of dissension is 100% on Capel. He made need to do a total reset and unfortunately that may mean 0-21.

This whole thread is stupid and pointless. No one has any info whatsoever. And even if so, at least it shows internal competition and fire.
Agree completely.

Some are making a whole bunch of judgements based on a message board post.

When are you guys going to realize how knowledgeable I am about college basketball? How many times do I have to be right? I mean early in the season I made a post that this team reminds me of the Young/Artis team. Of course, everyone disagreed and everyone was wrong. We even have a physical fight this year like when Young got punched by Kithcart or Manigault (cant remember which).

I was the first to say 1 of the 4 will transfer. Nobody believed it and I will be right. If this is true, it may be 2-4 of the 4. Kids dont go through adversity anymore. They jet.

This may get worse before it gets better. And this kind of dissension is 100% on Capel. He made need to do a total reset and unfortunately that may mean 0-21.
source.gif

Listening to Capel on the fan yesterday it definitely sounds like either X or Trey won’t be back next season. I’ve been saying for awhile now there is a disconnect between both of them and Capel and listening to Capel it just doesn’t sound like something that is gonna be fixed without one or maybe both leaving. If both do leave at this point I’m okay with it. I don’t think both players are MUST keep players in order for Pitt to turn this thing around in the next few years. They have lost more then won so far with both X and Trey and they can lose without them as far as I’m concerned.

Would it maybe be taking a step back if both left and transferred possibly?? But if it happens so be it the Pitt basketball program will survive and not fold up their program if both X and Trey leave. Capel will move on and go from there with what he has coming in.

A starting 5 next year of Horton ,Toney, Champagnie, Drumgoole and Hugley wouldn’t be the absolute worst thing in the world. How much worse could it be then with how badly both X and Trey have looked at times these last 7 games and for really most of this season.

Last edited:
Have some perspective and relax. This team was 0-18 in the ACC two years ago. Nothing more than some growing pains. You don't go from rock bottom to a success without some turmoil and growing pains. Everyone is learning right now, even Capel. This thread is nothing but speculation. Some may leave or all could stay. The only thing that is certain is Capel has to do what is best for the team going forward.

Maybe folks would believe you know basketball if you... made posts reflecting your knowledge of basketball. Ever read a post by @thirteenNINE ? He knows basketball. You watch a lot of college basketball and throw out 400 predictions a month. That’s not knowing basketball.

So everything seems about right on course.
This stuff happens.
Got to switch it up, go through stuff, go through players, until you get the right culture.

Reactions: Tonyt66 and TWPitt
Some are making a whole bunch of judgements based on a message board post.

True, but if the facts presented are true, Capel's comments, including praise of a player not currently eligible, parents social media comments, the idea that X and Trey are on one side of a team rift with Toney et.al on the other, if this is so would it not follow that some of the judgments have credibility.
Locker-room and practice fights don't really mean a thing, but if the players are not able to handle it (because of character or maturity issues) and the problems manifest themselves with things like poor play and players not following the game plan intended to assure victory, expect your program to be judged in a negative light.
?

True, but if the facts presented are true, Capel's comments, including praise of a player not currently eligible, parents social media comments, the idea that X and Trey are on one side of a team rift with Toney et.al on the other, if this is so would it not follow that some of the judgments have credibility.
Locker-room and practice fights don't really mean a thing, but if the players are not able to handle it (because of character or maturity issues) and the problems manifest themselves with things like poor play and players not following the game plan intended to assure victory, expect your program to be judged in a negative light.
?
Don’t disagree but learning how to handle it is part of the process for this team and program.

Reactions: Parkview57
I tend to agree with Drew, especially these first few years until we have a culture you are going to have some people that don't fit and have clashes. As long as it is healthy and helps the program in the long run it is good. I think X/Trey/Toney all want to play in the NBA and I don't think any of them are A) ready now or B) want to wait an extra year to transfer so I don't think any of them will be leaving despite what we all think.

Murphy has seemed at odds with Trey/X on the court since he got here and his dad's posts and comments coupled with the fact that he barely is on the court anymore and Capel's glowing comments about Ithiel seemed to indicate he will have no role next year on this team or very little. Which is why I think he is likely to GT out west.

Brown has seemed on the outs with this staff since he has been here, they seem frustrated with his motor/energy and will on the court. I could see them encouraging to him go as well -- although a senior big would help the team more in the short-term, they are building this for the long-term and if getting Hugley/Coulibaly/Amadasun/Collier minutes and experience does that than so be it. Especially if TB is on the wrong side of the culture right now.

Again I am just optimistic that they can sort it all out over the off-season and the only departures are ones that benefit our program.

I tend to agree with Drew, especially these first few years until we have a culture you are going to have some people that don't fit and have clashes. As long as it is healthy and helps the program in the long run it is good. I think X/Trey/Toney all want to play in the NBA and I don't think any of them are A) ready now or B) want to wait an extra year to transfer so I don't think any of them will be leaving despite what we all think.

Murphy has seemed at odds with Trey/X on the court since he got here and his dad's posts and comments coupled with the fact that he barely is on the court anymore and Capel's glowing comments about Ithiel seemed to indicate he will have no role next year on this team or very little. Which is why I think he is likely to GT out west.

Brown has seemed on the outs with this staff since he has been here, they seem frustrated with his motor/energy and will on the court. I could see them encouraging to him go as well -- although a senior big would help the team more in the short-term, they are building this for the long-term and if getting Hugley/Coulibaly/Amadasun/Collier minutes and experience does that than so be it. Especially if TB is on the wrong side of the culture right now.

Again I am just optimistic that they can sort it all out over the off-season and the only departures are ones that benefit our program.
Murphy’s all but gone

Reactions: TWPitt

Murphy is most likely to leave, followed by Brown - because he just doesn't bring it enough to warrant him staying IMO. The staff have to be so dissapointed.

Reactions: TWPitt
I hate agreeing with you, but this is 100% accurate. I understand we all speculate to a degree about roster turnover. But I find some of the discussion in this thread, especially by @Sean Miller Fan, to be really distasteful.

I don’t know if he’s trolling, leaning too far into his schtick, or what. But maybe we all take @DT_PITT’s advice and recognize these are competitive young kids.

SMF recently posted that he is considered a "heel" on this board just like in wrestling. What he doesn't understand and will never understand is that 98% of the posters do not consider him a heel. They just consider him an uninformed loud mouth with little to no knowledge. He can't accept that so he opts for the "heel" moniker.

Murphy is most likely to leave, followed by Brown - because he just doesn't bring it enough to warrant him staying IMO. The staff have to be so dissapointed.

Wouldn’t blame brown at all if he wanted to grad transfer out and go play a reserve role for a winning team. He deserves that opportunity.

SMF recently posted that he is considered a "heel" on this board just like in wrestling. What he doesn't understand and will never understand is that 98% of the posters do not consider him a heel. They just consider him an uninformed loud mouth with little to no knowledge. He can't accept that so he opts for the "heel" moniker.

For an uninformed loudmouth with little to no knowledge, I am sure right a lot. I say things that are unpopular and feelings get hurt, I get it. But most of it is accurate. I was the first to suggest there would be an exodus just like I did during Stallings Year 1. I was right then. I will be right again.

Reactions: Deer Head
Thanks Captain Obvious! Every little chance you get you just want to take a shot at Capel so pathetic
If there are issues and a culture problem, that's on Capel. He signed these guys.

Last edited:
For an uninformed loudmouth with little to no knowledge, I am sure right a lot.

What makes you an uninformed loudmouth is that you THINK you are right waaaaaaaaaaay more often than you actually ARE right. And that you have no problem taking credit for being right about things that you absolutely get wrong.

For instance how was that big ACC basketball tournament at MSG that you assured us all was going to happen? Or the fact that you said that it was obvious that MSG would break their contract with the Big East in order to get even one ACC tournament every three or four years? A prediction you continued to make right up until the day that MSG and the Big East announced an extension to their deal.

Reactions: Ski11585
Maybe what I am saying is they have a bigger platform and reach now with social media.

No doubt. I wasn't really disagreeing with you.

Something else that has changed is the the money involved with the dream of making the NBA is so much greater.

40 years ago, making the NBA could make a man wealthy.

Now making the NBA makes the man, and many around him, very wealthy.

Reactions: Ski11585 and TWPitt
What makes you an uninformed loudmouth is that you THINK you are right waaaaaaaaaaay more often than you actually ARE right. And that you have no problem taking credit for being right about things that you absolutely get wrong.

For instance how was that big ACC basketball tournament at MSG that you assured us all was going to happen? Or the fact that you said that it was obvious that MSG would break their contract with the Big East in order to get even one ACC tournament every three or four years? A prediction you continued to make right up until the day that MSG and the Big East announced an extension to their deal.

I mentioned it before, but SMF’s prediction 2 years ago that Pitt would have to cancel their season because they didn’t have enough players is still my favorite.

I mentioned it before, but SMF’s prediction 2 years ago that Pitt would have to cancel their season because they didn’t have enough players is still my favorite.

I love the MSG prediction, that the ACC tournament would be played at MSG no later than 2016, so much because to this very day he insists that because they played the ACC tournament at the Barclay's Center in 2017 that he got the prediction correct.

That takes a special level of cluelessness.

I was wrong that the ACC would get MSG every year but right about them playing in NYC. I also floated rotation ideas back then.

I was also correct about the Big Ten playing there the week before.

He predicted Pitt football would be playing in the same league as RMU and Duquesne because no one would take a program like Pitt.

Idiotic troll nonsense.

I was wrong that the ACC would get MSG every year but right about them playing in NYC. I also floated rotation ideas back then.

I was also correct about the Big Ten playing there the week before.

What about K State making the tournament or UVA being a strong lock to repeat because of their legendary defense?

For an uninformed loudmouth with little to no knowledge, I am sure right a lot. I say things that are unpopular and feelings get hurt, I get it. But most of it is accurate. I was the first to suggest there would be an exodus just like I did during Stallings Year 1. I was right then. I will be right again.

SMF as a weatherman:

I think it'll rain tomorrow.
Actually, it'll probably snow.
It might rain and snow.
We're definitely getting some form of precipitation.
It might be sleet.
I predict rain, sleet and snow.

*tomorrow comes and we get hail*

See! I was right again! I told you we'd get precipitation!

Yeah well he had little choice in his first year. Of course, he could have sat on his ass, collected a paycheck and do nothing that first recruiting class like your buddy Stallings did.

How much room did he have on the roster?

He at least had cleared out the bad eggs by year 2 and didn't bring in any more head cases. You kinda have to change the culture before you turn it around. He wasn't given an opportunity. Better coaches than Stallings have had winless conference records before. Winless even in year 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT