ADVERTISEMENT

The incident that changed the trajectory of the season

Even if just a portion of what’s being described is true, it’s a very toxic situation that Capel will have to clean up. And probably sets the rebuild back a year or two.

Beggers can’t be choosers, and Capel probably took whatever he could from the recruiting trail and made whatever promises he needed to at the time - without really having the opportunity to consider team chemistry and team fit in his player evaluations,

I think Capel needs to have a long talk with Narduzzi, who seems to have a better handle on recruiting players that provide for team chemistry.

No doubt. I wasn't really disagreeing with you.

Something else that has changed is the the money involved with the dream of making the NBA is so much greater.

40 years ago, making the NBA could make a man wealthy.

Now making the NBA makes the man, and many around him, very wealthy.
For generations

Stuff like this happens under the best teams with hall of fame coaches in Durham and chapel hill, too

every year there are fights among teammates in every sport in practice

Yeah. Hall of fame coaches manage it in such ways that it doesn't spill over on game day and tank their season.

He could have recruited over therm. Still can.
Kind of hard to predict that XJ and trey would turn into the worst backcourts in the ACc after the freshmen year they had. I’m probably the biggest Capel critic on the board, but there was no way to predict what they’ve become. If you’re saying they should’ve signed a guard anyways, I’d agree with that.

Kind of hard to predict that XJ and trey would turn into the worst backcourts in the ACc after the freshmen year they had. I’m probably the biggest Capel critic on the board, but there was no way to predict what they’ve become. If you’re saying they should’ve signed a guard anyways, I’d agree with that.

Yes. He definitely should have signed a guard. In parr for depth. Also, I thought he would have already been recruiting one anyway, because I don't think he would envision them both being the guys you want to roll with for 4 years at the time he signed them.

Yes. He definitely should have signed a guard. In parr for depth. Also, I thought he would have already been recruiting one anyway, because I don't think he would envision them both being the guys you want to roll with for 4 years at the time he signed them.
Horton??

Hopefully Horton answers the mail and they find another 3-ball shooter this spring.

The big problem is having no one on this team, whether guard or wing, who can make 3 pointers consistently enough to prevent this team from seeing nothing but zone defenses. That was a problem that got even worse for this team with the unequal trade of JWF for Murphy and the 3 point line being moved further out. Worst team 3 point percentage in the ACC and one of the worst in the entire NCAA.

They shot the 3-ball last year at an almost marginally acceptable rate but their percents plummeted dramatically with the line moved further out. In addition, Murphy proved a huge drop off in that regard from Wilson-Frame. The numbers—

XJ dropped from 35.2% to 33.7%
Trey dropped from 32.7% to 30.6%

Even more dramatic—

JWF 39.5% vs Murphy 33.9%

Overall backcourt of 3 guys—

37% last season vs 32.6% this season

Last edited:
After the freshman season those two had, I’d say it’s reasonable to think that Capel thought he was on to something. X averaged 15.5 ppg. That’s impressive as hell even with his uneven play. McGowens was a double digit scorer. So yeah, he probably did think he had an excellent future backcourt duo. Many people did too. They still might be despite the stupid conjecture on this board.

I was wrong that the ACC would get MSG every year but right about them playing in NYC.

You NEVER said they would play in NYC (in a generic sense), you ALWAYS said that they would be playing at MSG. Because you always said that MSG would break their contract with the Big East in a heartbeat for the chance to get just one ACC tournament.

But as I said, this is why it's my favorite prediction of yours. You obviously got it completely wrong, and yet here you are five years later still rationalizing why it is that even though you got it completely wrong you were actually still right.

Reactions: Tonyt66
What would be the rationale for the ACC frequently going to NYC?

Publicity. The fact that NYC is a far better destination than Greensboro, which quite frankly shouldn't even be in the discussion at this point. Easy for everyone to get to. If they would play at MSG that's the most iconic basketball arena in the world.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd be in favor of playing in NYC all the time, unless they got the contract to play at the Garden. I have no problem with them rotating it around every year. Just get rid of Greensboro.

Publicity. The fact that NYC is a far better destination than Greensboro, which quite frankly shouldn't even be in the discussion at this point. Easy for everyone to get to. If they would play at MSG that's the most iconic basketball arena in the world.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd be in favor of playing in NYC all the time, unless they got the contract to play at the Garden. I have no problem with them rotating it around every year. Just get rid of Greensboro.

I don't think the ACC brass would feel the same way. I believe they would rather have the tourney in their backyard and limit travel for their marquee programs.

And as the premier conference for college basketball, I don't think they feel they need any more publicity. The ACC has a long history and comfort factor with Greensboro.

Murphy is most likely to leave, followed by Brown - because he just doesn't bring it enough to warrant him staying IMO. The staff have to be so dissapointed.
A couple of weeks ago I thought it was difficult to see who the extra defection would be. Now it is difficult to figure who stays. I see 2 or 3 guys leaving besides the seniors and George who were honored before the last game. I am guessing 2 out of X, Tray and Murph. And possibly Terrell because I think his improvement is maxed out.

I don't think the ACC brass would feel the same way. I believe they would rather have the tourney in their backyard and limit travel for their marquee programs.

They may not. If not, they are being short-sighted. There is a reason that Duke (and others) try to play games in NYC and if at all possible at the Garden every season. I guarantee if you asked Coach K if he'd rather play the ACC Tournament at Greensboro or at MSG that you wouldn't even be able to get the whole question out of your mouth before he'd answer MSG.

You know John you read this stuff and you can have 20 different ways to interpret what is really going on and then there is the real truth. Who actually knows right? On the pay site you're hearing Toney is unhappy and might be the one leaving. I mean, all of this is pure speculation but 1 thing that isn't is that Capel needs to get his act together and control that locker room, coach better, recruit better and stop with the collapses. JMO.
I agree. Regardless of what happened, Capel recruited these guys and they are his players. He either needs to clean it up or send them packing.

I agree. Regardless of what happened, Capel recruited these guys and they are his players. He either needs to clean it up or send them packing.
I agree with DT that fights among teammates happen. They are not always a bad thing and on occasion can be a good thing.

A fight after a good win, started over a complaint over not getting the ball, is always bad, real bad.

Where were the coaches in all this? A coach needed to stop that conversation as soon as it started.

Last edited:
For an uninformed loudmouth with little to no knowledge, I am sure right a lot. I say things that are unpopular and feelings get hurt, I get it. But most of it is accurate. I was the first to suggest there would be an exodus just like I did during Stallings Year 1. I was right then. I will be right again.
Keep up your good work smf i look forward to our next podcast

I didn’t think college locker rooms could be penetrated by venom to this degree by parents until I saw 2 posts on twitter by Toney’s parents.Divisive behavior at its finest. During the GT game that was won by Pitt, she posted, “ This sh-t is sad when the PG looks certain teammates off!!I call Bullsh-t“ This is the same game the post game altercation occurred. And then following the NC State game, Toney’s dad posted, “I just can’t believe that Au’diese Toney from Pitt is not on anybody’s NBA Draft mock yet?” I know this doesn’t sound like much but it further drives the narrative that selfish play has started to build his NBA resume. These are 2 different examples of selfishness spewing from parents and manifesting in a child and it’s effect on a team.
Au’Diese Toney & NBA Mock Draft shouldn’t or better yet wouldn’t be used by anyone outside of his immediate family otherwise you’d be labeled certifiably insane

A fight after a good win, started over a complaint over not getting the ball, is always bad, real bad.

Where were the coaches in all this? A coach needed to stop that conversation as soon as it started.

I agree that some type of leadership/intervention by the coaches may have done wonders.
However, to your second point, have you not noticed a real reluctance by X and Trey to give up the ball to open players from the beginning of the year, sometimes to even laughable measures? I think that it had become a barrier to winning that the players were all well aware of, I would believe it was not give me the ball but rather get the ball to the open man. Also, better to address the problem after a win than in the throes of blaming teammates for a loss, IMO.

Reactions: Deer Head
They may not. If not, they are being short-sighted. There is a reason that Duke (and others) try to play games in NYC and if at all possible at the Garden every season. I guarantee if you asked Coach K if he'd rather play the ACC Tournament at Greensboro or at MSG that you wouldn't even be able to get the whole question out of your mouth before he'd answer MSG.

They aren't going to ignore NYC, as I'm sure they are going to throw them a bone on occasion. They pretty much have to now. I just don't see them ever willing to do that on a full-time basis. The ACC HQ is in Greensboro, it's super convenient for their marquee programs and it's a nice event for the local economy.

Now come on down and enjoy this. https://www.visitgreensboronc.com/

I agree that some type of leadership/intervention by the coaches may have done wonders.
However, to your second point, have you not noticed a real reluctance by X and Trey to give up the ball to open players from the beginning of the year, sometimes to even laughable measures? I think that it had become a barrier to winning that the players were all well aware of, I would believe it was not give me the ball but rather get the ball to the open man. Also, better to address the problem after a win than in the throes of blaming teammates for a loss, IMO.
Agree X and Trey have been selfish with the ball and criticism for not hitting the open man is/has been warranted.

I still believe you don't do it after a win. Point to this behavior after a loss and frame it as something the team needs to do to be better, not individual attacks. Coaches should have been stressing better ball movement all season.

If you watched or attended the Georgia Tech game at home, that was the best Pitt moved the ball all season. Pitt was getting exactly what we wanted. Complaining about ball movement after THAT game was plain stupid.

Little wonder things turned out as they did/have.

Last edited:
Reactions: jctrack and TWPitt
They aren't going to ignore NYC, as I'm sure they are going to throw them a bone on occasion. They pretty much have to now. I just don't see them ever willing to do that on a full-time basis. The ACC HQ is in Greensboro, it's super convenient for their marquee programs and it's a nice event for the local economy.

I don't think they'd ever go to NYC on a full time basis either. And I have no problem with a rotation of sites. But Greensboro is small time. It isn't even the best option in North Carolina, and it's not even close. If you are going to have it in North Carolina (and they should) then they should be in Charlotte. It's a better venue and city in pretty much every way.

Next year it's in DC. The year after it's at Barclay's. I think that's the only two scheduled in to the future at this point. Take those two venues, add Charlotte and Atlanta and call it a day. Every one of those is superior to Greensboro. Hell, Pittsburgh is better than Greensboro, and that's not even close either.

Complaining about ball movement after THAT game was plain stupid.

Point taken....

My bias comes from my observations which lead me to believe the problem lies with X and Trey, but as another poster pointed out we do not really know the inside story and I easily could be missing key elements of the problem . I prefer Toney's leadership to Trey's at this point... let's hope after this week the problem will be resolved for good and for the good of Pitt basketball.

Reactions: gary2
I don't think they'd ever go to NYC on a full time basis either. And I have no problem with a rotation of sites. But Greensboro is small time. It isn't even the best option in North Carolina, and it's not even close. If you are going to have it in North Carolina (and they should) then they should be in Charlotte. It's a better venue and city in pretty much every way.

Next year it's in DC. The year after it's at Barclay's. I think that's the only two scheduled in to the future at this point. Take those two venues, add Charlotte and Atlanta and call it a day. Every one of those is superior to Greensboro. Hell, Pittsburgh is better than Greensboro, and that's not even close either.

I agree with you 100%. I just think the ACC brass is married so to speak, to Greensboro.

I remember for the longest time it was hard for the SEC to leave Birmingham for obvious better options. I think the ACC is even more entrenched in Greensboro, and I would venture to guess that the biggest reasons are financial.

I always wonder if these kids understand that every terrible team has one or two guys that average 15 because someone must shoot the ball eventually. If you go 6-14 in the league no NBA team is going to care. No NBA team is saying I want a PG or SG that can't shoot, pass, or play defense, and also have no leadership skills or win.

For those who say a coach should not address issues after a win you clearly have never coached or played especially at the college level. Most top coaches (typically behind closed doors) will actually get on their teams more after a win because they have their attention more because the players are normally happy they won. Something along the lines of nice win we did so and so well...BUT if we want to be the team we are capable of we can’t be satisfied with so and so. We must do better in so and so areas.

Many times after a loss especially a tough one they are trying to pick up the spirits of the players. Sure after a blowout loss where their team lacked effort, heart etc no good coach will accept it and the will let their team hear about it right away.

For those who say a coach should not address issues after a win you clearly have never coached or played especially at the college level. Most top coaches (typically behind closed doors) will actually get on their teams more after a win because they have their attention more because the players are normally happy they won. Something along the lines of nice win we did so and so well...BUT if we want to be the team we are capable of we can’t be satisfied with so and so. We must do better in so and so areas.

Many times after a loss especially a tough one they are trying to pick up the spirits of the players. Sure after a blowout loss where their team lacked effort, heart etc no good coach will accept it and the will let their team hear about it right away.
Just to be clear - I think the discussion surrounded a player being critical of his teammates after a win. A player, not the coach.

I would be fine with the Coach saying something like that was good but we need to do better.

That is not what happened here.

Just to be clear - I think the discussion surrounded a player being critical of his teammates after a win. A player, not the coach.

I would be fine with the Coach saying something like that was good but we need to do better.

That is not what happened here.

Yes, I read about what some say happened. But it’s a bunch of he said he said. Something probably did happen but ppl won’t know the truth, just speculation. And don’t act like you know what happened because you don’t. All I know is that Toney is the only legit 2 way player on the team. He plays hard, is tough and actually improved his game in the off season unlike others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT