ADVERTISEMENT

The Mullet in some hot water over t-shirt

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
I had to look up what OANN was. Honestly never heard of it. This seems like a stretch but times are different.

Because no one in the locker room even knows what it is...except the left wingers. It’s been brought up a time or two and always by the lefties. OAN is apparently some boogeyman to them. No one I know and no one in the locker room watches it.

Yet no one sees anything left leaning problematic. You can't see the double standard?
There is nothing right leaning about OAN. I guess I have to ask “what is left leaning?” Is that like a communist?

There is nothing right leaning about OAN. I guess I have to ask “what is left leaning?” Is that like a communist?

I do not know what OAN is. I am just responding to SMF stating that OAN make Brietbart appear left leaning. Therefore it has to be a problem. To me that is a stupid statement. People should be able to wear what they want without everyone getting into an uproar. Obviously there are exceptions but a Right wind T-shirt is not an exception.

Because no one in the locker room even knows what it is...except the left wingers. It’s been brought up a time or two and always by the lefties. OAN is apparently some boogeyman to them. No one I know and no one in the locker room watches it.
And conservatives who think correspondents from Sputnik are problematic .
And find no irony in their affirmation bias

Reactions: pittdan77
The whole thing is idiotic...It’s amazing how little people think these days.

I have a startling announcement for Mr Hubbard... In the real world you have to put up with a lot of different people with a lot of different views that you won’t like, including your boss. This is t-shirt incident is nothing compared to the sh*t you’re going to put up with.

You need to let little stuff like this roll of you back and grow a pair....

The whole thing is idiotic...It’s amazing how little people think these days.

I have a startling announcement for Mr Hubbard... In the real world you have to put up with a lot of different people with a lot of different views that you won’t like, including your boss. This is t-shirt incident is nothing compared to the sh*t you’re going to put up with.

You need to let little stuff like this roll of you back and grow a pair....
He’s not in the real world
He’s an endentured servant

I don't know what folks in the locker room know about OANN, but President Trump knows it very well and recently repeated its allegation that the Buffalo protester who was knocked down by police was an antifa provocateur. It had been granted a permanent seat in the White House press briefing room. It is a far-right conspiracy theory channel, and its website proclaims it to be pro-Trump.

Some background: OAN is not a legitimate media source, it's a safe space for people who want to bask in the warm glow of TV reassurance. Their content is patently absurd and falls well below the professional standards set by a decent college news production. Indeed, between employing Russian state media figures and the guy who invented Pizzagate as "reporters," promoting conspiracy theories, and publishing blatantly false and/or exaggerated stories as a matter of fact, it's basically InfoWars without the gay frogs. Of course, OAN is also Trump's favorite ally in the media since it's somehow even more farcically obsequious than Fox News.

Gundy has been publicly promoting OAN since at least April. With respect to Hubbard, OAN has taken deliberate aim at BLM, calling it a "farce" among other insults. Somehow Hubbard became aware of OAN's position on BLM and took offense to Gundy wearing a shirt which supported a company that was opposed to a movement designed to stop police violence against black people. I don't blame Hubbard for feeling betrayed.

The problem with OAN and Gundy is this: you're entitled to believe whatever you want to believe. However, when your job is convincing a bunch of incredibly talented minority kids to come play for you and generate tens of millions of dollars for your employer - while the athletes don't get paid - maybe you shouldn't advertise that you're philosophically aligned with a company that says protecting young black men from police violence is a "farce."

Reactions: Farnox
Some background: OAN is not a legitimate media source, it's a safe space for people who want to bask in the warm glow of TV reassurance. Their content is patently absurd and falls well below the professional standards set by a decent college news production. Indeed, between employing Russian state media figures and the guy who invented Pizzagate as "reporters," promoting conspiracy theories, and publishing blatantly false and/or exaggerated stories as a matter of fact, it's basically InfoWars without the gay frogs. Of course, OAN is also Trump's favorite ally in the media since it's somehow even more farcically obsequious than Fox News.

Gundy has been publicly promoting OAN since at least April. With respect to Hubbard, OAN has taken deliberate aim at BLM, calling it a "farce" among other insults. Somehow Hubbard became aware of OAN's position on BLM and took offense to Gundy wearing a shirt which supported a company that was opposed to a movement designed to stop police violence against black people. I don't blame Hubbard for feeling betrayed.

The problem with OAN and Gundy is this: you're entitled to believe whatever you want to believe. However, when your job is convincing a bunch of incredibly talented minority kids to come play for you and generate tens of millions of dollars for your employer - while the athletes don't get paid - maybe you shouldn't advertise that you're philosophically aligned with a company that says protecting young black men from police violence is a "farce."
I know very little about OAN, but from the descriptions it sounds like it’s a person. “OAN says this, OAN has this opinion.” If it’s a network, shouldn’t you be saying ________ on OAN said _____. This opinion was expressed by _______ on the OAN network. I’m sure every single person on OAN doesn’t express the same opinion on everything.
And please don’t go with I’m just a racist for defending OAN. You can look at all my previous posts ripping Trump and his defenders.

Reactions: Dan1911
I know very little about OAN, but from the descriptions it sounds like it’s a person. “OAN says this, OAN has this opinion.” If it’s a network, shouldn’t you be saying ________ on OAN said _____. This opinion was expressed by _______ on the OAN network. I’m sure every single person on OAN doesn’t express the same opinion on everything.
And please don’t go with I’m just a racist for defending OAN. You can look at all my previous posts ripping Trump and his defenders.

The "reporter" speaking/writing is an employee of OAN whose job is to speak/write material that supports OAN's business. It's not like a steelworker who speaks his own political beliefs inside or outside the mill. In this case, the opinion is the job.

Of all the cable networks out there, I have watched OANN about two times. My impression was they did a good job on reporting the news straight with no bias (unlike the other cable news networks). Almost to the point of boredom. However, there opinion shows at night mirrors Fox News (right leaning). Again that is only watching them for a couple of days. Liz Wheeler is pretty hot for being a nitter...

^^^^THIS!! Gundy should be out!

Given OAN's political slant it's likely that somewhere along the way they presented black people very negatively so it looks bad for Gundy to endorse them

OAN “leans“ right just like Mark Mangino and Charlie Weis were a little bit heavy.

So what? If they are promoting racism/slavery/rape/child molestation/abuse (none of which are Conservative/Political Right ideologies) then I can see the outrage. I do not know this network but anything short of those stances a person should be mature enough to disagree and just move on. Instead people feel the need to silence and be little the opposition. Both sides are guilty of this, but it is only "wrong" when the Right is successful.

So what? If they are promoting racism/slavery/rape/child molestation/abuse (none of which are Conservative/Political Right ideologies) then I can see the outrage. I do not know this network but anything short of those stances a person should be mature enough to disagree and just move on. Instead people feel the need to silence and be little the opposition. Both sides are guilty of this, but it is only "wrong" when the Right is successful.

That's a weird subset of disqualifying issues.

When a young black athlete who plays for free thinks it's important that the police aren't using indiscriminate/disproportionate force on people like him, and his boss who makes $5,000,000 per year publicly supports an organization that calls that player's belief a "a farce" then maybe they can't just disagree and move on?

I also don't get how an unpaid college athlete is trying to "silence" a political propaganda network that's supported by his multi-millionaire boss and the "billionaire" President of the United States. Do you really think that's even a close fight?

Last edited:

OAN is hardly news. Even Fox has gotten crazy. Using riot scenes from Minnesota and portraying them as Seattle.

It’s a shame that any “news” station is slanted - in either direction. Opinion shows are one thing and should be labeled as such. But the lines have clearly been blurred at best.

And propaganda and misinformation - no matter which “side” it’s coming from - is bad. Real bad.

OAN is hardly news. Even Fox has gotten crazy. Using riot scenes from Minnesota and portraying them as Seattle.

It’s a shame that any “news” station is slanted - in either direction. Opinion shows are one thing and should be labeled as such. But the lines have clearly been blurred at best.

And propaganda and misinformation - no matter which “side” it’s coming from - is bad. Real bad.

Slanted as in Fox being singled out in your post.. I get it.

Slanted as in Fox being singled out in your post.. I get it.

Well of course I realize other networks are slanted. Which is why I said both sides. CNN and MSNBC are clearly slanted. And I’ve been concerned about it for years and it’s worse than ever now. But you cherry pick to crowbar in your slant. So I get it.

But as far as Fox they outright lied by using clips from the Minnesota riots and broadcasting them as if they were in Seattle. That’s going way beyond leaning or even just outright support of one side. That’s why I used that as a specific example. That kind of stuff is disgraceful no matter who does it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT