ADVERTISEMENT

The New Big 12

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Look, the B12 deserves a lot of credit for being able to survive after it lost 6 founding members and looked dead in the water. But, the plain fact is that it’s still nowhere near a strong a league as it was a dozen years ago.

It has lost Texas and Texas A&M, the two biggest college football names in the state of Texas. It has lost Oklahoma, Arkansas and Nebraska, the other three major football powers historically in the conference.

It has replaced the two Texas schools with Houston, which is like replacing two Cadillacs with a skateboard. Utah and BYU have had some success, but reputation wise they don’t replace Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Replacing Missouri and Arkansas with Arizona and Arizona State is at best a wash.

Does anyone think ASU, Arizona and Utah picked the B12 over the B10? They had no choice once it became clear Oregon and Washington were gone.

The real story here is the complete demise of the PAC12. It’s now down to 4 orphans in search of a home. No major conference wants Washington State or Oregon State. I’m not sure anyone wants Stanford or Cal. I am pretty sure Stanford and Cal don’t want to be in a conference with schools like SDSU if anyone is thinking the PAC12 can expand.

I would have loved to have seen the ACC expand with Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal. But not without the first two. However, our current ACC commissioner once again has proved wholly inept at negotiating the changing currents of college football expansion. The ACC was not attractive to any powerhouse programs because of our low TV revenue stream. However, a good commissioner could have parlayed expansion with a new TV deal. I guarantee you neither the B10 nor the B12 is going to divide the same pie among 4 additional teams.

We now are one of 4 survivors. But, will there ultimately only be two? The ineptness of our commissioner IMO makes that increasingly likely unless the TV networks decide they need 4 major conferences for their own purposes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News