ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Coach names.

Drew1208

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2018
Give me the next coaches that aren't Scmidt or BK. There's hundreds of dudes out there.
Let me hear some names.

Give me the next coaches that aren't Scmidt or BK. There's hundreds of dudes out there.
Let me hear some names.

This may not be a popular take,

But you have to try with Rick Pitino who is going to turn Iona into a power quickly. He would actually restore the NY pipeline we once had and I think he's got enough in the tank to want 1 more chance on the National stage and I know he would bring players here.

Auburn took on Bruce Pearl and is thriving.

This may not be a popular take,

But you have to try with Rick Pitino who is going to turn Iona into a power quickly. He would actually restore the NY pipeline we once had and I think he's got enough in the tank to want 1 more chance on the National stage and I know he would bring players here.

Auburn took on Bruce Pearl and is thriving.
Actually to me Rick Pitino is an obvious choice to me.
That'd be awesome.

Actually to me Rick Pitino is an obvious choice to me.
That'd be awesome.
I would have hated it even two years ago, but with all that going on in college / "amateur" athletics of late, I am finally willing to sell my soul. I will only care about a coaches results, as long as they don't condone covering up of the physical harming of anyone else.

My “Home Run” hire would be calling Bobby Hurley and seeing if he’s ready to move back East. With Scheyer taking the Duke gig, I think Bobby eventually finds his way back East to be around his parents/family.

Beyond that, yeah, Mark Schmidt. The guy would absolutely get it done here by building a blue collar program the right way. It would take patience and recruiting wouldn’t be sexy to start with, but he’d have this thing back to a respectable level by year 2.

Pitino won’t take the Pitt job. Miller won’t be able to recruit at any Northeast job after Book going to jail for him.

1. Richie Riley before Clemson opens
2. Jamie
3. Jason Williford (go back to boring basketball?)
4. Dennis Gates
5. Last resort BK

those are my 5 candidates off top of head in no order

If it’s not BK. I won’t be on board. We have now screwed up our last two hires. BK may not be great but at least I love him and don’t think he will be worse that what we have. I would rather have Jim Boeheim than Miller or Pitino. Both are disgusting ppl.

Reactions: Ski11585
florida-missouri-basketball-columbia-usa-shutterstock-editorial-10523585d.jpg

Reactions: Ski11585
Pitino won’t take the Pitt job. Miller won’t be able to recruit at any Northeast job after Book going to jail for him.

1. Richie Riley before Clemson opens
2. Jamie
3. Jason Williford (go back to boring basketball?)
4. Dennis Gates
5. Last resort BK

those are my 5 candidates off top of head in no order
Thanks for taking this post seriously bball insider. Lol

Lol no thanks
Yeah....well who was Ben Howland. Who was John Beilein, he took a 1-15 WVU team in the Big East and went to an Elite 8 in his 3rd year with not 1 Top 100 recruit.

We got to stop looking at the Rivals Top 100 like it is some magical brass ring. We need a guy who can coach, get 4 year players, coach them up. Ya know, like we used to do.

Yeah....well who was Ben Howland. Who was John Beilein, he took a 1-15 WVU team in the Big East and went to an Elite 8 in his 3rd year with not 1 Top 100 recruit.

We got to stop looking at the Rivals Top 100 like it is some magical brass ring. We need a guy who can coach, get 4 year players, coach them up. Ya know, like we used to do.
Agreed. Just don't see how BK is even remotely ready yet.

Reactions: DORT and FireballZ

Oh I don’t disagree. I think for the most part you’re 100 percent correct. You have to find a coach who can find underutilized guys and win with them. I don’t want the Vermont coach. There was recently a rape scandal there and he hasn’t coached outside of Vermont in 16 years.

a) No back to the future hires....ever again (includes an assistant at Rutgers)

b) No one whose glory days happened years ago

other than that, the sky is the limit.

Reactions: Drew1208
I consider Capel to have been more in the splash category (sort of). That would include Miller and Pitino, in my opinion. Would we do that again?

Stallings was the unsexy X's and O's tactician (well, at least the unsexy part). That would be guys like Schmidt. Would we go there again so soon?

Then you have your Hail Mary Pitt guys: Dixon and Knight.

What's left? Young mid-major up-and-comers would be my guess for the next guy. I feel like programs generally strive to avoid the hires that remind them of recent failed efforts.

I guess NBA assistant would be another category, but my money is on a youngin.

Reactions: TWPitt
I consider Capel to have been more in the splash category (sort of). That would include Miller and Pitino, in my opinion. Would we do that again?

Stallings was the unsexy X's and O's tactician (well, at least the unsexy part). That would be guys like Schmidt. Would we go there again so soon?

Then you have your Hail Mary Pitt guys: Dixon and Knight.

What's left? Young mid-major up-and-comers would be my guess for the next guy. I feel like programs generally strive to avoid the hires that remind them of recent failed efforts.

I guess NBA assistant would be another category.

Remember Zeise saying Pitt fans would love Stallings offense and style of play? Remember every coach going out of their way to praise Stallings as a brilliant offensive strategist? Then remember the offense consisting of passing the ball around the perimeter and Parker Stewart or Marcus Carr heaving 3's as the shot clock wound down.

Good times.

Remember Zeise saying Pitt fans would love Stallings offense and style of play? Remember every coach going out of their way to praise Stallings as a brilliant offensive strategist? Then remember the offense consisting of passing the ball around the perimeter and Parker Stewart or Marcus Carr heaving 3's as the shot clock wound down.

Good times.

I feel like we probably just never had the personnel to see it come to fruition. We had no point guard and a bunch of guys who weren't going to listen to some old bald dude in year one. And we had a PSL team that should have been playing in the Homestead Carnegie Library Gym League in year two.

It's also possible that Zeise just had no idea what he was talking about.

Reactions: singregardless
I feel like we probably just never had the personnel to see it come to fruition. We had no point guard and a bunch of guys who weren't going to listen to some old bald dude in year one. And we had a PSL team that should have been playing in the Homestead Carnegie Library Gym League in year two.

It's also possible that Zeise just had no idea what he was talking about.
I got kicked out of that league about 15 years ago

Serious question - why not go after Beilin? He’s old, but so what. Maybe he can be the coach for like 5-6 years, his son could be the HC in waiting. He’s a really good coach - just didn’t work out in the NBA.
I would go for this and pay him 6 million a year or whatever it takes.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
Serious question - why not go after Beilin? He’s old, but so what. Maybe he can be the coach for like 5-6 years, his son could be the HC in waiting. He’s a really good coach - just didn’t work out in the NBA.
I wouldn’t hate that

He's from New York and connected in the Northeast. It would be a great hire but I think getting him would be much harder than Pitino. He can wait out a better job. He was hired by the Pistons not look ago.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
He's from New York and connected in the Northeast. It would be a great hire but I think getting him would be much harder than Pitino. He can wait out a better job. He was hired by the Pistons not look ago.
I agree - I just like the fit. I like the fit of Pitino as well. He would win here, obviously.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
If we hired a pitino, Miller or Belien, what’s the timeline to get back to winning?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT