ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Coach names.

There are no guarantees for Pitt. The guys who are a “guarantee” aren’t coming here.

The best options are bringing in an established program builder with experience doing “more with less” or catching a rising star on the way up. Grasso very much fits in that 2nd category.

Anyone will come here if you pay enough.

Also, Pitino is a guarantee they could easily get. And Miller is a guarantee to at least be respectable. He isn't going to crash and burn like Capel

Also, Pitino is a guarantee they could easily get. And Miller is a guarantee to at least be respectable. He isn't going to crash and burn like Capel
Neither one of those are coming to Pitt no matter how many times you say they will or post it. Move on to realistic candidates

I'm not moving on and I'm not buying season tickets for a lottery ticket. I'll buy them after that lottery ticket gets us to the NCAA Tournament.
No one cares if you buy season tickets. Pitino and Miller aren’t candidates. Pitino isn’t leaving his gorgeous home in NYC to move to a non elite job. He doesn’t need $.

if you want to say we could hire Richard Pitino, yes, he could be a candidate. Slick Rick is not interested.

I also find it hard to believe u won’t pay the 9.95 or whatever it is here to be a premium board member but you’ll buy season tickets.

Reactions: FireballZ
I'm not moving on and I'm not buying season tickets for a lottery ticket. I'll buy them after that lottery ticket gets us to the NCAA Tournament.
Do you think you are going to speak or write this into existence?

It really is unbelievable how you repeat it over and over and over as if it’s meaningful in any way.

Everyone knew your position before any of this even started. And everyone wants who they want and it’s fine. But what’s the point in beating it to death?

No one cares if you buy season tickets. Pitino and Miller aren’t candidates. Pitino isn’t leaving his gorgeous home in NYC to move to a non elite job. He doesn’t need $.

if you want to say we could hire Richard Pitino, yes, he could be a candidate. Slick Rick is not interested.

I also find it hard to believe u won’t pay the 9.95 or whatever it is here to be a premium board member but you’ll buy season tickets.

I see no value in premium membership other than during coaching searches. I will get the premium membership when Capel is fired. I'm glad I got it last time because a very respectable poster last time stated Miller was a serious candidate and they were doing their due diligence and DT confirmed it.

I see no value in premium membership other than during coaching searches. I will get the premium membership when Capel is fired. I'm glad I got it last time because a very respectable poster last time stated Miller was a serious candidate and they were doing their due diligence and DT confirmed it.
With Book back running things in NYC after getting pinched for Sean, there’s less of a chance than ever of getting an NYC based kid off they went that route. Would be a horrific hire.

Reactions: cabe23
And HS coaches don’t have input. The AAU coaches (like Book) do. And ALL the NYC kids go running back to NYC for aau.

I'd hire Book before I'd hire a lottery ticket. He's a Pitt alum (Pitt-Johnstown) and he'd get players. Yea, I know it will never happen in a million years but he'd get players here.

The only issue with Belien is the whole “thugs” comment.. not a huge deal but also might not be the smartest hire to try to recruit young black kids at the current state of our program.
He'd be way too good to be true. The guy's a helluva coach. Problem is he's old and the Pitt job is not attractive.

What about Thad Matta? Only 54 years old. I thought he was like 65. Again, pipe dream, but he'd be a home run.

SMF is the premium content. We should be paying him.

Pitino as HC with Barry Rohressen and Shawn Miller as assistants rehabbing their image/careers.

Are you people insane? An NEC coach who is 40-44? Pitt needs a guarantee, not a lottery ticket with the longest odds.

Context matters. I mean not to someone like you, but in the real world, context matters.

Bryant was 3-28 the year before Grasso was hired (and in the two seasons before that they were 12-20 and 8-23). In his first season there they improved to 10-20, and then 15-17, and then last year 15-7, including beating UMass and losing at Syracuse by a point.

Context matters. I mean not to someone like you, but in the real world, context matters.

Bryant was 3-28 the year before Grasso was hired (and in the two seasons before that they were 12-20 and 8-23). In his first season there they improved to 10-20, and then 15-17, and then last year 15-7, including beating UMass and losing at Syracuse by a point.
Correct. He’s a program builder who has big NYC connections and is a fiery personality that you either love or hate. But recruits, players and grassroots guys love him.

FD3OV1QWQAohXQg

I would almost guarantee Pitino is back in the Power 6 somewhere, most likely somewhere by New York in the northeast region. And Im not the only person saying this. There has been plenty of articles written by major companies like cbssports that have said the same exact thing in the past year.

Pitino is made for the Big time, Iona is just a stepping stone. Pitino might not check the boxes for Pitt, but someone is going to get him and win.

Are you people insane? An NEC coach who is 40-44? Pitt needs a guarantee, not a lottery ticket with the longest odds.

It’s going to be a long season with these threads. If we are going to do this, why not go after Ryan Odom, a guy who actually has a winning record, knows the ACC and is now gaining experience at a higher level (Utah State).

It’s going to be a long season with these threads. If we are going to do this, why not go after Ryan Odom, a guy who actually has a winning record, knows the ACC and is now gaining experience at a higher level (Utah State).
That’s a really good name

Something tells me the biggest sigh of relief out of anyone when Capel is eventually fired will be from Capel himself. He won't walk out of the back door of the Pete, he'll sprint.

Reactions: cabe23

Good Choice

Oh shit. I used to play pickup ball with Dustin Kearns back in the day. I didn't even realize he was at Appy until last year.

If Pitino does decide he wants another high profile job, I'm sure he will leak that to his friend Dick Vitale so he can float that trial balloon out there on Pitino's behalf. Pitino campaigned hard for the UCLA job through Dickie V.

Pitino strikes me as someone that changes his mind fairly often. Combine that with his ego, and I can see him jumping back in at a place where he could go up against U of L.

Oh shit. I used to play pickup ball with Dustin Kearns back in the day. I didn't even realize he was at Appy until last year.

If Pitino does decide he wants another high profile job, I'm sure he will leak that to his friend Dick Vitale so he can float that trial balloon out there on Pitino's behalf. Pitino campaigned hard for the UCLA job through Dickie V.

Pitino strikes me as someone that changes his mind fairly often. Combine that with his ego, and I can see him jumping back in at a place where he could go up against U of L.

Exactly. He also wants to get back at Louisville.

I am sick of hearing about names who won’t come here or great recruiters who are not great coaches/player developers.

Capel failed because Pitt brought him in to recruit them out of where we had fallen to.
Pitt is only getting back to being relevant by hiring a great coach who develops talent. Bring in a recruiting class who will stay for 3-4 years because they likely aren’t talented enough to leave early and win with those players in years 3/4.
Pitt and Capel wanted to turn things around fast but Pitt is not a destination for top talent.

That's an easy league to go from worst to first with a player or 2. Not impressed.

I don't understand why none of the posters on this board like Mark Schmitt. He is literally winning at Saint Bonaventure, which is one of the hardest places to recruit in the country. The A10 is a step up from most conferences (like the NEC for instance) that aren't P6, and he is great with X and Os and finding hidden talent. He is a no nonsense guy who is liked by his players, and the fans at Bonny about had a stroke when they thought BC was going to hire him. He would be an excellent choice, and short of Pitino and Beilein, I would think he would be one of the best options, especially if he gets Bonny to the Dance this year whilst ranked 1 in the preseason A10 rankings.

I don't understand why none of the posters on this board like Mark Schmitt. He is literally winning at Saint Bonaventure, which is one of the hardest places to recruit in the country. The A10 is a step up from most conferences (like the NEC for instance) that aren't P6, and he is great with X and Os and finding hidden talent. He is a no nonsense guy who is liked by his players, and the fans at Bonny about had a stroke when they thought BC was going to hire him. He would be an excellent choice, and short of Pitino and Beilein, I would think he would be one of the best options, especially if he gets Bonny to the Dance this year whilst ranked 1 in the preseason A10 rankings.

He has 3 NCAA Tournament appearances in 20 years. The bigger issue, he hasn't put together a string of good seasons in a row together.

If Ritchie Mckay wins 30+ games again this year with a 4th straight conference and conference tournament championship, he is going to become a hot name quickly. He is starting to win on a high level since leaving Tony Bennett and Virginia. 4 straight years on a high level is a consistent trend.

He has 3 NCAA Tournament appearances in 20 years. The bigger issue, he hasn't put together a string of good seasons in a row together.

If Ritchie Mckay wins 30+ games again this year with a 4th straight conference and conference tournament championship, he is going to become a hot name quickly. He is starting to win on a high level since leaving Tony Bennett and Virginia. 4 straight years on a high level is a consistent trend.
Yeah but have you ever been to Olean? Not to mention that program was basically left for dead.

Yeah but have you ever been to Olean? Not to mention that program was basically left for dead.

Im a believer in that, a real quality coach will consistency be able to win just about anywhere. And I would be looking at a coach that is either more consistent like a Rick Pitino or someone that is consistency winning at a high level in the moment right now over the course of the last 3-5 years at a high level. For me, the only exception outside of this that I would consider is Knight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT