ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Coach names.

Oh I don’t disagree. I think for the most part you’re 100 percent correct. You have to find a coach who can find underutilized guys and win with them. I don’t want the Vermont coach. There was recently a rape scandal there and he hasn’t coached outside of Vermont in 16 years.
Yeah I didn't mean him specifically, but I we need to stop looking at someone who is going to bring in top 100 kids as our answer. We need a guy who is going to coach, develop, have a system, get guys who fit. I mean, we need a team who can knock down shots. The 3 pointer is a great equalizer.

florida-missouri-basketball-columbia-usa-shutterstock-editorial-10523585d.jpg
Sci Fi / horror fan eh?

The Lost Boys....seriously? 😉

Remember Zeise saying Pitt fans would love Stallings offense and style of play? Remember every coach going out of their way to praise Stallings as a brilliant offensive strategist? Then remember the offense consisting of passing the ball around the perimeter and Parker Stewart or Marcus Carr heaving 3's as the shot clock wound down.

Good times.
I can proudly say as soon as they hired Stallings I stopped watching.
I googled his face and knew he was a loser. No lie lol

I wanted KS to say .. not gonna lie. We’d be a decent team right now.

The only issue with Belien is the whole “thugs” comment.. not a huge deal but also might not be the smartest hire to try to recruit young black kids at the current state of our program.

Reactions: Ski11585
Yeah....well who was Ben Howland. Who was John Beilein, he took a 1-15 WVU team in the Big East and went to an Elite 8 in his 3rd year with not 1 Top 100 recruit.

We got to stop looking at the Rivals Top 100 like it is some magical brass ring. We need a guy who can coach, get 4 year players, coach them up. Ya know, like we used to do.
Your living in the past , kids see they’ve got to work to get PT they move on !

Reactions: Pittnerski
The only issue with Belien is the whole “thugs” comment.. not a huge deal but also might not be the smartest hire to try to recruit young black kids at the current state of our program.
Let's stay away from race. That is not the issue. Capel's failure is the issue.

Reactions: PittPoker
Pitino won’t take the Pitt job. Miller won’t be able to recruit at any Northeast job after Book going to jail for him.

1. Richie Riley before Clemson opens
2. Jamie
3. Jason Williford (go back to boring basketball?)
4. Dennis Gates
5. Last resort BK

those are my 5 candidates off top of head in no order
I’ve been banging the Richie Riley drum for awhile.

My buddy had an interesting suggestion - Mike Rhoades, from VCU. PA boy who has had success as a head coach.
The gray headed guy from St. Bonaventure. Have to think if he can win there that he would, at a minimum, improve the situation at Pitt. He may not be a 10 year answer, but if he improved Pitt's program it might make it easier to land the next wunderkind coach.

I would start with Behlein but seriously doubt he would take it. Then in order
1) Becker from Vermont
2) Ritchie McKay Liberty - Former asst at VA and doing well at Liberty
3) I also like two of Behlein's assistants from MI - Luke Yaklich who is not at UIC and DeAndre Haynes who is an assistant at Marquette. Preference is Haynes because he has a tremendous track record of developing guards
4) Been impressed with RMU's Toole. Teams play hard and give him another year and I think the Colonials will be competitive in their new league.

I would also consider Cleve St.'s Gates but I think he has his sights on Florida St. I know Hamilton just signed an extension but doubt he will be there for the duration (5 yrs). So he could be gone in a year or two.

Reactions: Drew1208
Regarding BK: I don’t want him to take the job if only because I don’t want to see fans turn on him. And they will by year 2.

Also on BK: I don’t care if he hasn’t been a HC. You can either recruit and coach or you can’t.

you would think at this stage in his career, Knight would have a stronger resume and a HC position by now. Don't think he is the man to turn over an ACC program to.

As exciting as it sounds at the thought of Pitino, he is everything Pitt’s administration doesn’t want representing the university. Scary times ahead. With the last two hires it’s as if there is no one at the university who knows a damn thing about basketball.

To be positive, the transfer portal means Pitt can get good fairly quickly if the right coach was hired.

If Pitt wants to sell out the Pete fairly quickly, Pitino is the guy.

As exciting as it sounds at the thought of Pitino, he is everything Pitt’s administration doesn’t want representing the university. Scary times ahead. With the last two hires it’s as if there is no one at the university who knows a damn thing about basketball.

To be positive, the transfer portal means Pitt can get good fairly quickly if the right coach was hired.

If Pitt wants to sell out the Pete fairly quickly, Pitino is the guy.
Hire Sean Miller TONIGHT. How?? Lyke has to figure this out. Think about next year‘s team. We have no recruits. Other teams will be clamoring for Femi and Hughley in the portal. I know that finances are an issue but Lyke Is responsible for this mess.

I feel like we probably just never had the personnel to see it come to fruition. We had no point guard and a bunch of guys who weren't going to listen to some old bald dude in year one. And we had a PSL team that should have been playing in the Homestead Carnegie Library Gym League in year two.

It's also possible that Zeise just had no idea what he was talking about.

I actually played in the PSL league at the Homestead Library about 15 years ago. Some WV D2 or D3 school entered a team, Shepherd University I think and they beat us by 50 or 60.

Pitino won’t take the Pitt job. Miller won’t be able to recruit at any Northeast job after Book going to jail for him.

1. Richie Riley before Clemson opens
2. Jamie
3. Jason Williford (go back to boring basketball?)
4. Dennis Gates
5. Last resort BK

those are my 5 candidates off top of head in no order
Why would Rick not take the job?

Ah, I forgot about this guy. This would be a great hire. He’s due for a step up and I think he would embrace the reclamation project here. Good call

Are you people insane? An NEC coach who is 40-44? Pitt needs a guarantee, not a lottery ticket with the longest odds.

Are you people insane? An NEC coach who is 40-44? Pitt needs a guarantee, not a lottery ticket with the longest odds.

There are no guarantees for Pitt. The guys who are a “guarantee” aren’t coming here.

The best options are bringing in an established program builder with experience doing “more with less” or catching a rising star on the way up. Grasso very much fits in that 2nd category.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT