ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Coach names.

I think its a pretty safe bet we are going to have mass transfers again at the end of this season regardless and I believe that's what will be the final straw. Heather isnt going to give Capel a 3rd restart in 5 years. So, we are probably starting from scratch next year regardless. The transfer portal is actually a good thing for a new coach. Theoretically, you could go sign an NCAAT team within your first 2 months since there's so many guys out there. Maybe you have 1 or 2 high major guys follow you from your mid-major gig like Young did.
Mass transfers from this team wouldn't be a bad thing, imo.

Hiring Pitino would be a complete embarrassment.
And shit like this post is what holds this university back in sports that matter. You act like you’d stop watching. I guarantee if we’d be in a sweet 16 in year two you wouldn’t.

Reactions: TWPitt
I am under the belief at the moment that there is already the support needed (or close to it) to take care of the buy out if needed.

But Heather still needs to be patient. First, she can't jump the gun and there's a plenty of basketball in this season and she will need to see what happens. But something like a 5-6 record out of conference comes pretty close to sealing the the deal.

The second thing that needs to happen is that she needs to start prospecting now to learn who might be available. And quite frankly, I have NO idea what this looks like at the moment.

Nonetheless, yes ... the transfer portal CAN be a good thing for a new coach ... but let's be honest. A couple of things would need to go right to get players of quality here in year one.

I don't understand how boosters at all schools are so generous to pay to get rid of coaches. Lets say it will indeed cost $15 million to buy Capel out and lets say boosters cover $5 million of that. I would much prefer those boosters to use that $5 million for NIL salaries and let Capel coach another year or 2. NIL salaries are the quickest way out of this. If I was worth $100 million or whatever, I'm decreasing my donations to the Athletic Dept and funding NIL salaries for the players. Want to win? You need good players? Want good players? Pay them.

I don't understand how boosters at all schools are so generous to pay to get rid of coaches. Lets say it will indeed cost $15 million to buy Capel out and lets say boosters cover $5 million of that. I would much prefer those boosters to use that $5 million for NIL salaries and let Capel coach another year or 2. NIL salaries are the quickest way out of this. If I was worth $100 million or whatever, I'm decreasing my donations to the Athletic Dept and funding NIL salaries for the players. Want to win? You need good players? Want good players? Pay them.

NIL is brand new and the rules are being figured out. Emergency donations to buy out coaches has been going on for quite a while now.

And while I'm at it, what NIL work can a booster do today to turn this hoops program around?

NIL is brand new and the rules are being figured out. Emergency donations to buy out coaches has been going on for quite a while now.

And while I'm at it, what NIL work can a booster do today to turn this hoops program around?

I don't know how much these mega boosters give. But we just saw Bickell give Pitt football $20 million for new carpeting and a new snack room. Lets say there's a donor out there which has $5 million to spend on Pitt basketball, you could set up a fund to pay 12 players $50K/year for about 10 years. That's going to start happening everywhere so Pitt might as well get out in front of it.

I don't know how much these mega boosters give. But we just saw Bickell give Pitt football $20 million for new carpeting and a new snack room. Lets say there's a donor out there which has $5 million to spend on Pitt basketball, you could set up a fund to pay 12 players $50K/year for about 10 years. That's going to start happening everywhere so Pitt might as well get out in front of it.

NIL is NOT supposed to EVER pay players to COME to a school. I'm sure that will get plenty shady, but what makes you think it won't be bigger and shadier at SO many other schools who are already in much better shape than the Panthers are now?

NIL is NOT supposed to EVER pay players to COME to a school. I'm sure that will get plenty shady, but what makes you think it won't be bigger and shadier at SO many other schools who are already in much better shape than the Panthers are now?

It will get bigger and shadier at other schools, that's why Pitt has to get out in front.

As I said, Michigan State is already doing it, paying all football and basketball players $6000/year through a mortgage company. Yea, that isnt 50K/year but eventually at some places it will be. There's no rules, no regulations. Its the wild west, anything goes. This is the time to do it.

It will get bigger and shadier at other schools, that's why Pitt has to get out in front.

As I said, Michigan State is already doing it, paying all football and basketball players $6000/year through a mortgage company. Yea, that isnt 50K/year but eventually at some places it will be. There's no rules, no regulations. Its the wild west, anything goes. This is the time to do it.

You are dreaming to think we are anywhere close to this. Do you HONESTELY think all of a sudden, our boosters are SUDDENDLY going to jump 50 or 60 other top hoops programs with NIL benefits that are going to somehow going to fix what's going on, just like that? C'mon man ... make some sense.

First order of business if for the Panthers Hoops Program is to find a coach everyone believes in. Until this is the case, not a dollar of NIL money is going to make one IOTA of a difference.

Reactions: TWPitt
You are dreaming to think we are anywhere close to this. Do you HONESTELY think all of a sudden, our boosters are SUDDENDLY going to jump 50 or 60 other top hoops programs with NIL benefits that are going to somehow going to fix what's going on, just like that? C'mon man ... make some sense.

First order of business if for the Panthers Hoops Program is to find a coach everyone believes in. Until this is the case, not a dollar of NIL money is going to make one IOTA of a difference.

But they will pay millions for Capel not to coach so we can hire whichever coach wins the CAA Tournament. Makes no sense. Go buy some players before everyone else starts to.

What about a Jay Wright assistant or someone with deep ties to Philly? We saw Pat Chambers develop an NCAAT team with Philly kids. The weird thing about Philly basketball is those kids generally still stay home to play HS ball. Plus, isnt there a Pitt alum coaching one of the major Philly HS programs?

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Let me ask you this, lets say you have $100 million, are you paying $5 million to get rid of Capel or the same $5 million to pay players to ensure a talented roster?

TOTAL strawman!! C'mon ... make a REAL scenario! This is why you make everyone nuts!

TOTAL strawman!! C'mon ... make a REAL scenario! This is why you make everyone nuts!

OK, real scenario. You have $100 million and you are going to give it to Pitt in some way, shape or form. Do you buy 6 overpriced beers or 10 overpriced sodas?

Here's a name that hasn't been mentioned and a top-tier coach Pitt can get a deep discount

Greg Marshall

Yea, I know, he hit a player. That isnt good. We hired a coach who told a player he will effing kill him on TV and that coach wasn't in the same stratosphere.

Marshall is from ACC territory and coached in ACC territory a long time. Jf there's concerns about his behavior, or even if there isnt, you simply have an Athletic Dept. intern chaperone his practices.

Look at "rehabilitated" coaches killing it like Sampson, Pearl, Pitino, etc. This is the route Pitt needs to go. Better than a lottery ticket.

Also, Casey Alexander of Belmont. I always thought Rick Byrd was a great coach. Alexander played for Byrd, coached under him for 16 seasons, left to take Lipscomb of all teams to the NCAAT and is back at Belmont and rolling. More importantly, he runs the very distinctive Byrd offense which relies heavily on spacing and shooters. And maybe he brings a few players with him including that Center, who is one of the best in college basketball.

I'm not a fan of mid-major guys but I want to see a longer track record and not a guy who got lucky for a couple years. Alexander may not have a long track record as a coach but having played for and coached under Byrd makes him attractive. If we aren't going to get top recruits, we need a style.

I think its a pretty safe bet we are going to have mass transfers again at the end of this season regardless and I believe that's what will be the final straw. Heather isnt going to give Capel a 3rd restart in 5 years. So, we are probably starting from scratch next year regardless. The transfer portal is actually a good thing for a new coach. Theoretically, you could go sign an NCAAT team within your first 2 months since there's so many guys out there. Maybe you have 1 or 2 high major guys follow you from your mid-major gig like Young did.

I think it's a given that at the end of this year, we'll have at least a few guys transfer out, probably more.

This whole transfer portal brings back memories of when I coached my son's basketball team when he was in middle school. Every year, you picked your team from available players in a draft and it was a complete reset. No team was the same year in and year out.

Also, Casey Alexander of Belmont. I always thought Rick Byrd was a great coach. Alexander played for Byrd, coached under him for 16 seasons, left to take Lipscomb of all teams to the NCAAT and is back at Belmont and rolling. More importantly, he runs the very distinctive Byrd offense which relies heavily on spacing and shooters. And maybe he brings a few players with him including that Center, who is one of the best in college basketball.

I'm not a fan of mid-major guys but I want to see a longer track record and not a guy who got lucky for a couple years. Alexander may not have a long track record as a coach but having played for and coached under Byrd makes him attractive. If we aren't going to get top recruits, we need a style.
Ryan Odom has coached at the HM level, grew up in ACC basketball, has connects all along DMV, Carolina and below, revived a D2 program to the ncaa tournament, created the UMBC program juggernaut, doing a good job at Utah State and wants to go scorched earth on the entire ACC for not being able to follow in dad’s footsteps at wake. Sign me up for someone who is hungry for revenge, has the prerequisite HM, HC experience and would be grateful for the opportunity.

As much as I like Buzz and I hear he may be looking, I don’t want a another guy who acts like he’s doing Pitt a favor.

Ryan Odom has coached at the HM level, grew up in ACC basketball, has connects all along DMV, Carolina and below, revived a D2 program to the ncaa tournament, created the UMBC program juggernaut, doing a good job at Utah State and wants to go scorched earth on the entire ACC for not being able to follow in dad’s footsteps at wake. Sign me up for someone who is hungry for revenge, has the prerequisite HM, HC experience and would be grateful for the opportunity.

As much as I like Buzz and I hear he may be looking, I don’t want a another guy who acts like he’s doing Pitt a favor.

Ryan Odom is coaching at a level above a mid-major so I don't consider him a "lottery ticket." I'd be ok with him if we couldn't get anyone a little more high profile.

Ryan Odom
Richie Riley
Todd Golden
Nico Medved
Russell Turner
Jeff Boals
Dennis Gates

And if we hire any of those guys, we will sell 500 more season tickets than if we retain Capel. Not saying that means it would be the wrong choice but after 6 years of sh!t, nobody is going back to the Pete until they get good and that could be years even with a new coach

And if we hire any of those guys, we will sell 500 more season tickets than if we retain Capel. Not saying that means it would be the wrong choice but after 6 years of sh!t, nobody is going back to the Pete until they get good and that could be years even with a new coach
People had no clue who Ben Howland was and fans were energized once they saw a team that was playing hard and making progress. Make the right hire and people will start going back to The Pete.

Reactions: Drew1208
People had no clue who Ben Howland was and fans were energized once they saw a team that was playing hard and making progress. Make the right hire and people will start going back to The Pete.

No they weren't. I went to the games. Did you? They were getting only about 2000 or so at the games until January of the first good year. They sold out the ND game (6800 people) and that was a huge deal. The Fitz was empty prior to.

Again, I'm not saying attendance the next few years is a critical piece in evaluating who the next coach will be but I am telling you with 100% certainty that the Pete will be completely empty next season if we hire a mid-major coach. The team is going to be horrific (think Minnesota this year with 10 transfers).

No they weren't. I went to the games. Did you? They were getting only about 2000 or so at the games until January of the first good year. They sold out the ND game (6800 people) and that was a huge deal. The Fitz was empty prior to.

Again, I'm not saying attendance the next few years is a critical piece in evaluating who the next coach will be but I am telling you with 100% certainty that the Pete will be completely empty next season if we hire a mid-major coach. The team is going to be horrific (think Minnesota this year with 10 transfers).
Year 2 of the Howland Era people were getting very excited. If they lower the prices and do a better job of marketing the new coach, then you could see 4-5k a game, and double that for the marquee names next year.

Year 2 of the Howland Era people were getting very excited. If they lower the prices and do a better job of marketing the new coach, then you could see 4-5k a game, and double that for the marquee names next year.

People were legitimately excited after the BE run to the final. Legitimately excited for the NIT. So much so that we drew around 5000 for the NIT games and everyone was saying what a great crowd it was.

I am going to tell you again, NOBODY IS COMING for a few years if we hire someone no one heard of....just like they didn't come for Howland.

The idea that some coach is magically make people buy season tickets because of his name is possibly @Sean Miller Fan dumbest idea and that is saying something. Pittsburgh fans support winners. Period.

The idea that some coach is magically make people buy season tickets because of his name is possibly @Sean Miller Fan dumbest idea and that is saying something. Pittsburgh fans support winners. Period.

Season ticket purchases next year:

Capel: 500
Mid-major: 1000
Sean Miller: 6000
Rick Pitino: 10,000

Some other "name" coach we luck into like a Buzz Williams: 5000-6000

Season ticket purchases next year:

Capel: 500
Mid-major: 1000
Sean Miller: 6000
Rick Pitino: 10,000

Some other "name" coach we luck into like a Buzz Williams: 5000-6000
Nope. Not even close. Dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. People aren’t buying season tickets to Pitt because Sean Miller or Rick Pitino is coach. Do you think they’d sell 50k season tickets in football if they named Larry Fitzgerald the coach tomorrow? I know you can’t be this stupid.

Nope. Not even close. Dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. People aren’t buying season tickets to Pitt because Sean Miller or Rick Pitino is coach. Do you think they’d sell 50k season tickets in football if they named Larry Fitzgerald the coach tomorrow? I know you can’t be this stupid.

OK, so you are saying Pitt sells the same exact amount of tickets next year whether the coach is Todd Golden, Sean Miller, or Rick Pitino?

And you can dog Miller all you want but to the vast majority of Pitt fans, they remember him as a very good player and a coach who won a ton of games. Even if he is an overrated coach, Pitt fans would be dancing in the streets if he was hired.

OK, so you are saying Pitt sells the same exact amount of tickets next year whether the coach is Todd Golden, Sean Miller, or Rick Pitino?

And you can dog Miller all you want but to the vast majority of Pitt fans, they remember him as a very good player and a coach who won a ton of games. Even if he is an overrated coach, Pitt fans would be dancing in the streets if he was hired.
Maybe like 200 more? Not thousands. No one is going to pay hundreds of dollars or however much season tickets are now because of a coach to watch a 3-17 team. It’s just not gonna happen. No one cares who the coach is if the team sucks. I’m not gonna buy pirates season tickets if Neil Walker is the next manager.

Reactions: Drew1208
Maybe like 200 more? Not thousands. No one is going to pay hundreds of dollars or however much season tickets are now because of a coach to watch a 3-17 team. It’s just not gonna happen. No one cares who the coach is if the team sucks. I’m not gonna buy pirates season tickets if Neil Walker is the next manager.

Pitino gets high-level transfers and we compete for an NCAAT bid in Year 1. People would be so pumped with his recruiting and the team he puts out there. Just saying, if Pitino did come here, and I know that's a longshot, you think he would view it as a 5 year plan? Nope, he'd go balls out (no pun intended) to get Musselman-type transfers and coach the shit out of them

Starting to win is all that matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT