ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Coach names.

It's already a ghost town at The Pete and it will get worse when we win enough games to count on one hand the rest of the year. Stallings was really bad, Capel is worse for a multitude of reasons. I'm tired of his excuses and platitudes.

Lyke has to just get us a coach who can...you know...COACH. From the sounds of a lot of you guys on this board, there are some candidates here who could do a better job than Capel.
This would be the ideal time to do it. Wouldn’t lose any recruits and holdovers would be asked to “look around”.

This would be the ideal time to do it. Wouldn’t lose any recruits and holdovers would be asked to “look around”.
No ones leaving their current position at the start of the season to take over at Pitt .

Why would you hire a guy who’d leave his job now , think he wouldn‘t hesitate to do to you too !

This may not be a popular take,

But you have to try with Rick Pitino who is going to turn Iona into a power quickly. He would actually restore the NY pipeline we once had and I think he's got enough in the tank to want 1 more chance on the National stage and I know he would bring players here.

Auburn took on Bruce Pearl and is thriving.
Iona just knocked off ‘Bama.

That’s truly the puzzling thing about Pitt bb . All these schools the P6 schools play in OOC schedule have 1 or 2 guys who could’ve easily played for Pitt , even when Pitt was good . There’s a lot of good college bb players out there . (just not too many at Pitt right now . ) If recruited you think these kids would jump on a Pitt offer .

He'd be way too good to be true. The guy's a helluva coach. Problem is he's old and the Pitt job is not attractive.

What about Thad Matta? Only 54 years old. I thought he was like 65. Again, pipe dream, but he'd be a home run.

He can’t walk

How is Pitino dirty at Iona? Can’t tell me he is paying guys there ?

He has certainly had issues in the past but clearly can coach.

I don't know if he is or he isn't (and I don't much care either way), but why would you assume that he isn't paying players or otherwise cheating at Iona? There are lots of programs at all different levels that get caught cheating. Why would Iona be exempt from that?

He has certainly had issues in the past but clearly can coach.

If Pitino would come here and Pitt felt they are too holy for him, the entire administration from the AD to the President to the BOT to the Dean of the Engineering school should be terminated. The guy is a HOF coach who would have Pitt in the NCAAT by Year 1 or 2. His extremely minor offenses should not preclude him from taking over the worst P6 program. The Pete would sell out in a week.

If Pitino would come here and Pitt felt they are too holy for him, the entire administration from the AD to the President to the BOT to the Dean of the Engineering school should be terminated. The guy is a HOF coach who would have Pitt in the NCAAT by Year 1 or 2. His extremely minor offenses should not preclude him from taking over the worst P6 program. The Pete would sell out in a week.

I want Pitt to win again also. But with the exception of the AD, none of those people or groups has making a winning basketball program as a priority in their action items or expectations or duties. Some of them may not even know the name of our current coach (I wish I could forget it).

I want Pitt to win again also. But with the exception of the AD, none of those people or groups has making a winning basketball program as a priority in their action items or expectations or duties. Some of them may not even know the name of our current coach (I wish I could forget it).
I mean, this last sentence isn’t true. The Chancellor played a very large role in the hiring process for Capel - IIRC, Gallagher flew down to North Carolina with Lyke for Capel’s final interview where they both offered him the job.

I mean, this last sentence isn’t true. The Chancellor played a very large role in the hiring process for Capel - IIRC, Gallagher flew down to North Carolina with Lyke for Capel’s final interview where they both offered him the job.
Which is why Rick would unfortunately never get hired. But then again, he will be coaching in the ACC possibly next year. Just not at Pitt.

South beach, bringing the heat!

Reactions: Drew1208

Technically it is true. I said "some" of them, not all of them. If the Dean of the School of Engineering, for instance, knew Capel's name or cared, I'd be surprised. He has more important things to do than care about a basketball coach. And I don't believe that every member of the BOT knows Capel's name as the head basketball coach. Maybe they do, who knows. The point I was making is that hiring a head basketball coach is up to the AD and the Chancellor then rubber stamps it to approve it. No one else cares.

Technically it is true. I said "some" of them, not all of them. If the Dean of the School of Engineering, for instance, knew Capel's name or cared, I'd be surprised. He has more important things to do than care about a basketball coach. And I don't believe that every member of the BOT knows Capel's name as the head basketball coach. Maybe they do, who knows. The point I was making is that hiring a head basketball coach is up to the AD and the Chancellor then rubber stamps it to approve it. No one else cares.
Unfortunately at Pitt the history has been to take a step back from athletic success when poor behavior by coaches and or players have become public . Rick Pitino has as much a chance at coaching at Pitt as I do .

While winning bb games is important to everyone on this board those ultimately involved in the actual process of managing and approving the funds don’t hold winning bb games as their primary mission .

Sure the chancellor and his buds want Pitt to have winning teams , especially in bb and Fb , and have the Pete and HF full , they’re just not willing to go all in . The first sign that a change of heart would be the formation of an active booster group . This is the only way they can attract the coaches and players in the days of NIL . Money talks !

Remember all the insiders on here saying we were going to hire Jeff Capel last time?!!?

Ya- neither do I. Bottom line none of us know shit. We don’t know who is willing to come here and who isn’t.

Worse yet, I don’t even care. Because anything short of a miracle we are 2-3 years away from even being respectable.

they should see if Lance White can do double duty and throw the money at the football program.

Yeah....well who was Ben Howland. Who was John Beilein, he took a 1-15 WVU team in the Big East and went to an Elite 8 in his 3rd year with not 1 Top 100 recruit.

We got to stop looking at the Rivals Top 100 like it is some magical brass ring. We need a guy who can coach, get 4 year players, coach them up. Ya know, like we used to do.
And who was Jamie Dixon? He didn't have a sparkling resume but he worked out.

Hiring Pitino would be a complete embarrassment.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Hiring Pitino would be a complete embarrassment.
Maybe to some of the administration, but not the fans, who’d show up in droves and make The Pete rocking again.

That’s what it is about: winning, making money. If this truly was about academics and well-respective men representing the university then Stallings wouldn’t have been fired after his team posted the highest GPA in program history.

Maybe to some of the administration, but not the fans, who’d show up in droves and make The Pete rocking again.

That’s what it is about: winning, making money. If this truly was about academics and well-respective men representing the university then Stallings wouldn’t have been fired after his team posted the highest GPA in program history.
Who'd be embarrassed? almost no one.

No ones leaving their current position at the start of the season to take over at Pitt .

Why would you hire a guy who’d leave his job now , think he wouldn‘t hesitate to do to you too !
Season’s end. I used the word holdovers. But you’re right about the nomadic nature of coaches.

Remember all the insiders on here saying we were going to hire Jeff Capel last time?!!?

Ya- neither do I. Bottom line none of us know shit. We don’t know who is willing to come here and who isn’t.

Worse yet, I don’t even care. Because anything short of a miracle we are 2-3 years away from even being respectable.

they should see if Lance White can do double duty and throw the money at the football program.
The part about who’s willing to come here is still what worries me the most. We all talk about Pitino like he’s just dying to get out of Iona to get to Pitt. But I have no idea if this is anywhere close to true.

Reactions: cabe23 and Ski11585
The part about who’s willing to come here is still what worries me the most. We all talk about Pitino like he’s just dying to get out of Iona to get to Pitt. But I have no idea if this is anywhere close to true.

You’re a basketball historian I have a trivia question for you? Let me know when you’re ready

DT, I think this is a dramatic worry. We might not have any interest from the top 3 or so names on the “hot coaches list” but there are plenty of young, really good coaches who would love to come here. We pay well, have okay facilities, and fan support isn’t an issue when we win.

We just need to find a winner. Not about winning the press conference this time around unless you hire Pitino or someone like that.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
M
2, lol.

my point is anyone who believes in themselves will come here.

they had a player murder another player, cover it up, and last year they were a national champ.
Point taken.

DT, I think this is a dramatic worry. We might not have any interest from the top 3 or so names on the “hot coaches list” but there are plenty of young, really good coaches who would love to come here. We pay well, have okay facilities, and fan support isn’t an issue when we win.

We just need to find a winner. Not about winning the press conference this time around unless you hire Pitino or someone like that.

I would say that they shouldn't be concerned about winning the press conference if they had a guarantee but there's no guarantee that whoever wins the CAA this year will get Pitt back. Its a lottery ticket and we'll continue to draw 1000 fans per game. Add to the fact that everyone transfers now, the new coach is only going to inherit 2-3 players and while they have the portal to go get more, 22-23 with a mid-major guy could be another 1 or 2 win conference season. Of course, Young at VT inherited only 2 players and that's worked out tremendously but you almost never see that.

This is why I think they either have to get a big name that comes at a steep discount (Sean, Archie, Pitino) or overpay for a semi-big name (Buzz Williams will coach Afghanistan for a raise) that will increase ticket sales.

I would say that they shouldn't be concerned about winning the press conference if they had a guarantee but there's no guarantee that whoever wins the CAA this year will get Pitt back. Its a lottery ticket and we'll continue to draw 1000 fans per game. Add to the fact that everyone transfers now, the new coach is only going to inherit 2-3 players and while they have the portal to go get more, 22-23 with a mid-major guy could be another 1 or 2 win conference season. Of course, Young at VT inherited only 2 players and that's worked out tremendously but you almost never see that.

This is why I think they either have to get a big name that comes at a steep discount (Sean, Archie, Pitino) or overpay for a semi-big name (Buzz Williams will coach Afghanistan for a raise) that will increase ticket sales.

I just wish there was an easy answer. I am very fearful that there is not. My worry ... barring some magical hire (like a Pitino), depressingly I must confess the next year we can dream about sniffing an NCAA tournament bid is something no sooner than 2025 or even 2026.

I just wish there was an easy answer. I am very fearful that there is not. My worry ... barring some magical hire (like a Pitino), depressingly I must confess the next year we can dream about sniffing an NCAA tournament bid is something no sooner that 2025 or even 2026.

Unless you get completely lucky like VT did with Young. Inherited 2 players, no starters, and had VT in the NCAAT in Year 2. That's what Pitt fans think will happen with these mid-major guys.

Unless you get completely lucky like VT did with Young. Inherited 2 players, no starters, and had VT in the NCAAT in Year 2. That's what Pitt fans think will happen with these mid-major guys.
I think it’s more likely that they think that’s who they’re likely gonna get. Not many other than you think either Miller or Pitino is coming here. And So that leaves guys who are coaching the mid majors who’ve had success. I don’t think anyone thinks a guy like that will have it turned around in 2 years and realize he’d have to build something.

I guess there's almost always some "magic" that can happen in year 2. But what has me worried a the moment is the transfer rule without having to take a year off. Should we need to start again with a Capel departure, it's easy to see Hugley and Femi and heck knows who else.

I guess there's almost always some "magic" that can happen in year 2. But what has me worried a the moment is the transfer rule without having to take a year off. Should we need to start again with a Capel departure, it's easy to see Hugley and Femi and heck knows who else.

I think its a pretty safe bet we are going to have mass transfers again at the end of this season regardless and I believe that's what will be the final straw. Heather isnt going to give Capel a 3rd restart in 5 years. So, we are probably starting from scratch next year regardless. The transfer portal is actually a good thing for a new coach. Theoretically, you could go sign an NCAAT team within your first 2 months since there's so many guys out there. Maybe you have 1 or 2 high major guys follow you from your mid-major gig like Young did.

Reactions: gary2
I think its a pretty safe bet we are going to have mass transfers again at the end of this season regardless and I believe that's what will be the final straw. Heather isnt going to give Capel a 3rd restart in 5 years. So, we are probably starting from scratch next year regardless. The transfer portal is actually a good thing for a new coach. Theoretically, you could go sign an NCAAT team within your first 2 months since there's so many guys out there. Maybe you have 1 or 2 high major guys follow you from your mid-major gig like Young did.

I am under the belief at the moment that there is already the support needed (or close to it) to take care of the buy out if needed.

But Heather still needs to be patient. First, she can't jump the gun and there's a plenty of basketball in this season and she will need to see what happens. But something like a 5-6 record out of conference comes pretty close to sealing the the deal.

The second thing that needs to happen is that she needs to start prospecting now to learn who might be available. And quite frankly, I have NO idea what this looks like at the moment.

Nonetheless, yes ... the transfer portal CAN be a good thing for a new coach ... but let's be honest. A couple of things would need to go right to get players of quality here in year one.

Reactions: gary2 and cabe23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT