ADVERTISEMENT

The risk with XJ?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Just thinking out loud here, obviously we need a PG next season but if we sign XJ and he has a decent, but not great season (Carr-like), does that scare off Ethan Morton and some other higher level PG's. Maybe they would think they'd have to compete with a guy who is only 1 class year older.

We are involved with 2019 #1 PG Cole Anthony. We are seriously involved, not like just mentioned. He may go somewhere else, he may go elsewhere, but if you land him, and he stays more than a year, do you care?

Reactions: Faix87 and H2P_412
Johnson will probably play some 2 dont you think and spell McGowens as well.
We are losing 3 guards from last year , we need as many as possible.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
We NEED players. Coach Capel needs to get players.

If a player is afraid of competition then I don't want him to be a Pitt Panther.

It's the same as Danny Hurley taking the easy road at UConn. If you are a young coach and don't want to coach in the ACC, I don't want you.

Reactions: heybandguy
Fans will need a different mindset if this new regime takes off. Defections for one reason or another will be nothing to sweat about. They'll be expected. We're just not used to the level of talent that leaves for pro ball or gets recruited over every year. But they will be replaced. That will be the difference.

Also, good recruiters can create the environment for players to see the shared vision of the heights to which a multi-talented group can reach and communicate the resultant individual acclaim that is sure to be attained as a result, IMO.

Just thinking out loud here, obviously we need a PG next season but if we sign XJ and he has a decent, but not great season (Carr-like), does that scare off Ethan Morton and some other higher level PG's. Maybe they would think they'd have to compete with a guy who is only 1 class year older.
Jesus dude. How about we get some players on board and field a team before we start worrying about all these top 50 kids that we suddenly assume we’re going to get displacing them or getting scared off by the existing roster.. If your stated concern had any valid basis there’d be no Duke, UK, Kansas, MSU etc. Ridiculous.

Here we go. I win the cash 5 and worry about how much tax I’ll have to pay.

Reactions: upittgrad93
He is similar to Aaron Thompson who Stallings lost to Butler. Thompson had a good a year for a Fr. and started for them. This would be a good pickup.

-I dont see how they are similar, unless you are talking about rankings and neither having a good outside shot. Johnson is 10X the athlete Thompson is, its not even remotely close. He's also bigger. Johnson has the hops to put the ball between his legs and dunk it easily. He has to be pushing around a 37+ inch vertical, Julius Page athletic ability

No

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
2 classes. Morton is 2020.

2 classes. Morton is 2020.

It's already been pointed out to you that this would happen at any top
program. Let's look at this way....if Stallings were still here, do you think
Johnson would come here if Carr and Stewart were here ahead of him?
He'd never come here, and Stallings wouldn't even get a sniff from XJ.
He certainly wouldn't be afraid of Carr and Stewart, and he still would
want no part of Stallings" program.
These other top guards will consider us because of Capel, regardless of
how well XJ does in his first year.
If your premise had any merit to it (which it doesn't), Duke wouldn't be able
to get decent guards after Grayson Allen was on board. I hate to use
PSU football as an example, but they don't seem to have any trouble
landing 4 and 5 star players year after year, knowing that great ones
were ahead of them. It's the coach!

WBRPANTHER....my above post was NOT aimed at you. It was for the one that
you responded to...sorry.

no. what is Pitt supposed to do, recruit crappy players and hope that doesn't scare away really good players in future years ?

Another over the top silly SMF thread. I am not convinced Morton will really be a stud, but he will go to a school with a PG, at least, as well ranked as Johnson and likely higher ranked and higher producing. He isn't going to not choose Pitt because of Xavier Johnson

Another over the top silly SMF thread. I am not convinced Morton will really be a stud, but he will go to a school with a PG, at least, as well ranked as Johnson and likely higher ranked and higher producing. He isn't going to not choose Pitt because of Xavier Johnson

Yeah, that is what I have been thinking.

He looks like SG/third guard type to me, and as with the majority of these higher end players, will want to be on a team with talent to be able to win and have other good players around him.

I’ve never seen so much chatter over a Kid ranked around 223, yet didn’t care if Carr left.

If Stallings was still here, he would be getting killed for even offering the Kid
In his 3rd recruiting class? With a class full of players like that? Definitely. Of course, instead Stallings signed 0 new recruits in his first class and then signed an entire class of similar or lower ranked players in his 2nd and same for his 3rd. The situations are entirely different.

Reactions: Ski11585
What people have to start realizing and acknowledging, you can't take everyone. This is not football. And say someone like Tre Mitchell or even Oscar T (not attempting to spell his last name), if they go elsewhere if Pitt gets a commitment from 5 star PF Aiden Igiehon, is that "losing them" or is that "recruiting over" them.

In his 3rd recruiting class? With a class full of players like that? Definitely. Of course, instead Stallings signed 0 new recruits in his first class and then signed an entire class of similar or lower ranked players in his 2nd and same for his 3rd. The situations are entirely different.
It is the same troll or two that keeps posting this garbage. Not worth wasting your time.

Players look at depth charts. Capel is picking these kids up because there are no players. That is changing in a hurry.

You can't think that way, you need players FOR RIGHT NOW, you can't pass on a good player because of what some high school kid might think.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I don't think guards really worry as much about being recruited over these days. Plenty of teams play three or even four guards at a time, and I wouldn't be shocked if Capel used three guard line ups. And they know transfers happen. If there is a worry at all, it would be for legitimate rim defender bigs, who are NOT very easy to find to begin with but I would understand a seven footer not wanting to go where there already is one because there are less minutes to be had.

In fact, instead of thinking of a 1-5 sort of thing, I agree with Brad Stevens. There are three positions in contemporary basketball -- Ball-handler, wing, and big. And plenty of guys can work as both ball-handlers AND wings, so it's almost like there are only two positions at times!

Reactions: Jpripper88
I don't think guards really worry as much about being recruited over these days. Plenty of teams play three or even four guards at a time, and I wouldn't be shocked if Capel used three guard line ups. And they know transfers happen. If there is a worry at all, it would be for legitimate rim defender bigs, who are NOT very easy to find to begin with but I would understand a seven footer not wanting to go where there already is one because there are less minutes to be had.

In fact, instead of thinking of a 1-5 sort of thing, I agree with Brad Stevens. There are three positions in contemporary basketball -- Ball-handler, wing, and big. And plenty of guys can work as both ball-handlers AND wings, so it's almost like there are only two positions at times!
Look at Nova. That was a 4 guard lineup much of the time. All of them could handle the ball and shoot a high percentage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT