ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Game @ the Watsco & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Perhaps there are two ways to look at this end of the regular season loss to Miami. That is, the smaller game view and the larger season view. So let’s start small, and work our way up.

** Our Panthers gave the Canes a good fight, and along those lines, it was a pretty fun game to watch. My nephew came all the way up from DC to watch the game with us, and there were a number of times when we yelled “OH!” when the Panthers would hit a big shot.

** And I’ll never hate watching a game against a top opponent when it comes down to the final shot for the win.

** Despite the battle to the buzzer, ultimately what sunk the Panthers in this game was what happened on the glass for the prior 39 minutes and 56 seconds. There aren’t many games your team is going to win when you lose the rebounding battle 42-20.

** It’s also tough to win when you give up as many shots at the rim as we did tonight.

** Yet we almost did win. We almost won because Blake continues to hit amazing shots. We almost won because Nike had another strong offensive game. We almost one because Jorge hit some really big shots in his minutes too. It’s always a pleasure for me to see either of the Twins perform beyond my expectations.

** We didn’t win because the aforementioned Nike actually led the Panthers in rebounding with five. There’s a handful of guys who will need to take a look at that number and then take a hard look at themselves wonder why they couldn’t have beat it.

** The Panthers also didn’t win because a guy named Wooga hit six threes while in his previous 63 college games he had never hit more than two.

** So between the rebounds and Wooga, we almost pulled it out but didn’t it.

** But the closeness of this game really makes me realize that there’s no shame in this loss in the least. All it does instead is amplify the loss that shouldn’t have happened on Wednesday.

** This game tonight should have been gravy instead of a must have main course.

** I sure wish this game would have been gravy, because it sure would have provided us with a greater appreciation of the larger season view. And that larger season view is that we came within about 8 inches of an ACC regular season title.

** I can understand why any Pitt fan would feel great disappointment that we let an ACC regular season championship slip away from us in the final two contests. But I also hope any Pitt fan can also take a small step back and recognize how far we have come from one year ago, or even 100 days ago.

** I don’t need to remind the Panther faithful that we were projected to finish 14th in this league this year. Instead, we won 14 games in the league this year.

** It’s been a year that’s provided far more joy for Pitt fans that the previous six. While it hasn’t been a season of dreams, it’s been a season we can and should be proud of.

** And the final story for the season has not been written.

** First things first. Let’s win on Wednesday and get ourselves in the NCAA tournament. As I just mentioned, this alone is something we can and should be proud of.

** The next step is getting a few things fixed and seeing if we can win a couple games in both the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

** We’ve got to get some things fixed on defense. The Panthers have surrounded an average of 79 points in our last five games. The main culprit has been how we have handled screens.

** We’ve also got to get Greg back on track. We need his three ball and the lack of it has been noticeable and problematic.

** What’s also a problem for me now is that I’m going to need to figure out my work schedule so that I can watch our ACC tournament game on Wednesday at 2:30. But last year, I didn’t even take off work to watch our first round loss to Boston College. So all in all, this is hardly a problem, or at least a good problem.

** And looking at the season as a whole, a two point loss on the road in what was essentially the regular season conference championship game isn’t a problem either. In the bigger picture, it’s kind of a pleasure actually.

** But obviously it will be a much greater pleasure if our Panthers can recapture a little more of their previous magic in the next two-three weeks.

** Perhaps there are two ways to look at this end of the regular season loss to Miami. That is, the smaller game view and the larger season view. So let’s start small, and work our way up.

** Our Panthers gave the Canes a good fight, and along those lines, it was a pretty fun game to watch. My nephew came all the way up from DC to watch the game with us, and there were a number of times when we yelled “OH!” when the Panthers would hit a big shot.

** And I’ll never hate watching a game against a top opponent when it comes down to the final shot for the win.

** Despite the battle to the buzzer, ultimately what sunk the Panthers in this game was what happened on the glass for the prior 39 minutes and 56 seconds. There aren’t many games your team is going to win when you lose the rebounding battle 42-20.

** It’s also tough to win when you give up as many shots at the rim as we did tonight.

** Yet we almost did win. We almost won because Blake continues to hit amazing shots. We almost won because Nike had another strong offensive game. We almost one because Jorge hit some really big shots in his minutes too. It’s always a pleasure for me to see either of the Twins perform beyond my expectations.

** We didn’t win because the aforementioned Nike actually led the Panthers in rebounding with five. There’s a handful of guys who will need to take a look at that number and then take a hard look at themselves wonder why they couldn’t have beat it.

** The Panthers also didn’t win because a guy named Wooga hit six threes while in his previous 63 college games he had never hit more than two.

** But all the closeness of this game really makes me realize that there’s no shame in this loss in the least. All it does instead in amplify the loss that shouldn’t have happened on Wednesday.

** This game should have been gravy instead of a must have main course.

** I sure wish this game would have been gravy, because it sure would have provided us with a greater appreciation of the larger season view. And that larger season view is that we came within about 8 inches of an ACC regular season title.

** I can understand why any Pitt fan would feel great disappointment that we let an ACC regular season championship slip away from us in the final two contests. But I also hope any Pitt fan can also take a small step back and recognize how far we have come from one year ago, or even 100 days ago.

** I don’t need to remind the Panther faithful that we were projected to finish 14th in this league this year. Instead, we won 14 games in the league this year.

** It’s been a year that’s provided far more joy for Pitt fans that the previous six. While it hasn’t been a season of dreams, it’s been a season we can and should be proud of.

** First things first. Let’s win on Wednesday and get ourselves in the NCAA tournament. As I just mentioned, this alone is something we can and should be proud of.

** The next step is getting a few things fixed and seeing if we can win a couple games in both the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

** We’ve got to get some things fixed on defense. The Panthers have surrounded an average of 79 points in our last five games. The main culprit has been how we have handled screens.

** We’ve also got to get Greg back on track. We need his three ball and the lack of it has been noticeable and problematic.

** What’s also a problem for me now is that I’m going to need to figure out my work schedule so that I can watch our ACC tournament game on Wednesday at 2:30. But last year, I didn’t even take off work to watch our first round loss to Boston College. So all in all, this is hardly a problem.

** And looking at the season as a whole, a two point loss on the road in what was essentially the regular season conference championship game isn’t a problem either. In the bigger picture, it’s kind of a pleasure actually.

** But obviously it will be a much greater pleasure if our Panthers can recapture a little more of their previous magic in the next two-three weeks.
ANYONE who is bitching and bellyaching about this really needs to get themselves checked out. This has been a helluva year and it is not over yet. I still think this team has at least a few more wins left in them.

** But the closeness of this game really makes me realize that there’s no shame in this loss in the least. All it does instead is amplify the loss that shouldn’t have happened on Wednesday.

** What’s also a problem for me now is that I’m going to need to figure out my work schedule so that I can watch our ACC tournament game on Wednesday at 2:30. But last year, I didn’t even take off work to watch our first round loss to Boston College. So all in all, this is hardly a problem, or at least a good problem.

We also need to get Fede back on track again too. His game including rebounding has fallen off a cliff recently.

We also need to get Fede back on track again too. His game including rebounding has fallen off a cliff recently.
The guy is not robust, to say the least. I think this season, with higher level of competition every game, has gassed him. Having to bang every game, and with the other four guys often firing up bricks from mid court with no help underneath, likely would burn any one out.

Reactions: PittPoker
The guy is not robust, to say the least. I think this season, with higher level of competition every game, has gassed him. Having to bang every game, and with the other four guys often firing up bricks from mid court with no help underneath, likely would burn any one out.
Having a 6’6 PF who refused to rebound or play defense doesn’t help

I'm out of town on Wednesday so I will have to watch our first round game on tape

As I mentioned in my post, Elliott's absence the last two games (and in the first half of the Syracuse game) are indeed problematic

Watching tonight's game live, I wondered if Nike shouldn't have tried the three rather than pass it off to Blake. But hindsight is always 20-20. Without Blake's miracle three and #15 missing his free throw, this wouldn't even be an issue to discuss

I still think we have a chance at the play-in game if we lose to GT on Wednesday, but I really don't want it to come down to that

Yes, this year's team has exceeded all expectations ... so far. We all would have taken an NIT bid at the start of the year in a heart beat, but the big dance is so close we can taste it

I wonder if the pressure of getting to the big dance has finally caught up with these guys? I hope not

Reactions: 303vND
The game made no sense. They outrebounded us by 22. Shot 47% from 3, 20-23 from the line and almost lost.

The guy on the pay board has horse sense . Hugley or a Hugley type player was needed last night .

How do you prepare to defend a guy making 6 threes who’s never done it before ?

Pitts D hasn’t been great , but neither has been their opponents if you’re basing it on points surrendered !

Miami outshot Pitt from 3 (%) and the FT line , this Pitt team won’t many if any games when this happens .

But the loss last night is all on their lack of rebounding and second chance points allowed , Fede and the twins don’t match up against strong physical teams .

No one on this team or any scheme they deploy will counteract a team with even one premiere rebounder . They simply don’t have that player on their roster .

The discussion on who’s the best Pitt 3 Pt shooter had many names offered up , but Hinson certainly is the best from what should be 4 Pt range !

The twins especially Jorge showed a glimpse of what’s coming the next few seasons and it’s exciting !

Realistically did anyone ever think this program could win an ACC regular season championship, let alone this team or coach . It’s been a great season and it’s not over yet !

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
It has been a great season, and hopefully a start of a much better program. we got killed on the boards, but Miami did get several favorable bounces that led to offensive rebounds and second chance points. still, we have to get those boards. those second chance points were killers ! would have been real interesting to see what would have happened if Hinsons shot had gone in. Clearly, his 3 before that should have been a 2. we have seen them change 3's to 2's far after the fact in the past, I think. would they have done that and made it an overtime game ? we will never know. We do need Elliott. DT, you need to raise your expectations for the twins. I know I have. Those kids have a chance to be special players next year.

Hinson shooting was phnomenal, but we also need more boards out of him and others. Omier for Miami is a beast. we used to have players like that. we need to find one for next year !

the Notre Dame game was my biggest disappointment this season. we had everything on the line, and laid an egg.

Go Pitt !!!!

DT, great write up. time to raise expectations for the twins, they have the potential to be special next year and onwards. they seem like the type that will work their tails off to get better, stronger.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Watching tonight's game live, I wondered if Nike shouldn't have tried the three rather than pass it off to Blake. But hindsight is always 20-20. Without Blake's miracle three and #15 missing his free throw, this wouldn't even be an issue to discuss
We were down 2 ... I would have liked to have seen Nike try to get to the hoop.

Reactions: CCHS82 and 303vND
It has been a great season, and hopefully a start of a much better program. we got killed on the boards, but Miami did get several favorable bounces that led to offensive rebounds and second chance points. still, we have to get those boards. those second chance points were killers ! would have been real interesting to see what would have happened if Hinsons shot had gone in. Clearly, his 3 before that should have been a 2. we have seen them change 3's to 2's far after the fact in the past, I think. would they have done that and made it an overtime game ? we will never know. We do need Elliott. DT, you need to raise your expectations for the twins. I know I have. Those kids have a chance to be special players next year.

Hinson shooting was phnomenal, but we also need more boards out of him and others. Omier for Miami is a beast. we used to have players like that. we need to find one for next year !

the Notre Dame game was my biggest disappointment this season. we had everything on the line, and laid an egg.

Go Pitt !!!!
We’ve definitely seen 3’s changed to 2’s or 2’s to 3’s in games before but my recollection that usually happens early or midstream in a game where there is no subsequent ramification. Like during a TV timeout several plays after the shot in question or at halftime.

In this near end of a close game, I can’t imagine they could go back after a couple plays and change it when that 1-pt differential could clearly impact how a team decides to play. Has to be something in the rule book preventing it within the last x minutes of a game. Either review and change it immediately or not at all.

Reactions: mo cheeks

Go Pitt !!!!
Yeah, the ND game is still hard to come to grips with.

About finding players, Omier came to Miami in the Portal from Arkansas State. There will be guys who can help Pitt Immediately next season available in the Portal. Have to ID the right ones, have done the homework and be prepared recruit them quickly and then get some of the ones that Pitt determines to be the best fits for what they need and who Pitt wants the most to enroll here.

Not necessarily easy. But in today’s player movement environment, certainly not impossible.

Reactions: mo cheeks
When Nike is your leading rebounder at 5, you have a problem with rebounding. If Fede can't rebound at least 7 per game, we will be outrebounded in most games.

As one who attended the game in person I can vouch for the fact that the collective Miami sphincter was as tight as a snare drum when we came down court for what turned out to be the last shot.
Loved playing in a big game.

We’ve definitely seen 3’s changed to 2’s or 2’s to 3’s in games before but my recollection that usually happens early or midstream in a game where there is no subsequent ramification. Like during a TV timeout several plays after the shot in question or at halftime.

In this near end of a close game, I can’t imagine they could go back after a couple plays and change it when that 1-pt differential could clearly impact how a team decides to play. Has to be something in the rule book preventing it within the last x minutes of a game. Either review and change it immediately or not at all.
If there was any doubt among the officials about the 3, they would have checked immediately after the shot - like they did on the out of bounds play. Why they did not do so is a mystery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT