ADVERTISEMENT

This CFP Selection Committee is a joke...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
I watched them discussing who should be in tonight on espn and what I came to realize is that they should just eliminate the regular season. Then, they could just allow this group of so-called "college football experts" to select the four teams that they want to put in there. The guy in charge is sitting there saying that FSU is obviously not the same team as when Jordan Travis was playing. I say, so what! Did they win with QB #2 in his spot? Yep. What if they win their ACC Championship Game, will it even matter?
They are so worried about who they believe should be in it versus what actually happens on the field, it is a joke. I would not be surprised if Alabama beat Georgia in the SEC Championship Game, that both of them make the final 4. Way to much subjectivity involved in this so called "selection" process.
Also, why do they list the Top 25 teams? No one cares who #25 because it means nothing except the=is is the order that these self-proclaimed football experts have decided. There is no votes or points given for determining the order, just the opinions of these people. No room for corruption there, huh???

I watched them discussing who should be in tonight on espn and what I came to realize is that they should just eliminate the regular season. Then, they could just allow this group of so-called "college football experts" to select the four teams that they want to put in there. The guy in charge is sitting there saying that FSU is obviously not the same team as when Jordan Travis was playing. I say, so what! Did they win with QB #2 in his spot? Yep. What if they win their ACC Championship Game, will it even matter?
They are so worried about who they believe should be in it versus what actually happens on the field, it is a joke. I would not be surprised if Alabama beat Georgia in the SEC Championship Game, that both of them make the final 4. Way to much subjectivity involved in this so called "selection" process.
Also, why do they list the Top 25 teams? No one cares who #25 because it means nothing except the=is is the order that these self-proclaimed football experts have decided. There is no votes or points given for determining the order, just the opinions of these people. No room for corruption there, huh???

Even if FSU is 13-0, I wouldn't put them in over:

12-1 Bama
12-1 Georgia
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Michigan

FSU is not one of the best 4 teams in the country with a backup QB. Norvell is an all-time idiot for playing his starters vs one of the worst FCS teams. What sense does it make to schedule North Alabama before Florida if you are going to play your starters. Win the game with your 2nd string and it things get dicey by halftime, then you play your starters. This is on Norvell. They deserve to be left out

12-1 Bama
12-1 Georgia
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Michigan

FSU is not one of the best 4 teams in the country with a backup QB. Norvell is an all-time idiot for playing his starters vs one of the worst FCS teams. What sense does it make to schedule North Alabama before Florida if you are going to play your starters. Win the game with your 2nd string and it things get dicey by halftime, then you play your starters. This is on Norvell. They deserve to be left out
SMF...Do the results on the field even matter to you? It appears that they do not, so why even play the games during the regular season? I am sure that we both would agree that on paper, Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan and Alabama are the best teams in college football just about every year. Let's just skip the season and let the selection committee rank them is some useless subjective order and play the Championship game in September of each year. The on field results of each team's regular season games MUST count more then the SUBJECTIVE opinions of a group of 13 people, some of which never even played the sport.

Reactions: Burgh15 and Dan1911
SMF...Do the results on the field even matter to you? It appears that they do not, so why even play the games during the regular season? I am sure that we both would agree that on paper, Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan and Alabama are the best teams in college football just about every year. Let's just skip the season and let the selection committee rank them is some useless subjective order and play the Championship game in September of each year. The on field results of each team's regular season games MUST count more then the SUBJECTIVE opinions of a group of 13 people, some of which never even played the sport.
Prior to the CFP, the championship game was decided by sports writers who had obvious bias. It’s not a perfect system, but you’d be hard pressed to find many people who think Florida State is a better football team than Oregon or Alabama.

Prior to the CFP, the championship game was decided by sports writers who had obvious bias. It’s not a perfect system, but you’d be hard pressed to find many people who think Florida State is a better football team than Oregon or Alabama.
You don’t think there’s a bias on the CFP Committee?

I thought that was a weird comment. I still think there's a 0% chance that an undefeated P5 school gets left out, but to even make that comment felt weird. Maybe because he is the NC State AD and dislikes FSU... I don't know. But it should go by results on the field and nothing else. And they mentioned FSU barely beating Florida, as if Washington didn't squeak by a pathetic Washington State team last week.

My other complaint is Oregon. Like, why are they so high? They haven't beaten anybody. Oregon State and Utah? So what.

I don't think Ohio State is all that great, but they have better wins (Penn State and Notre Dame) and a better loss (Michigan).

12-1 Bama
12-1 Georgia
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Michigan

I think being down 12-0 with a backup QB then coming back to win proves you are a good team. Oregon may beat Washington and should, Alabama may beat Georgia but had Auburn not used the dumbest D ever on the last play they would have 2 losses. You don't keep an undefeated team out because they lost a player.

The results matter but so does the team you are bringing to the playoff. What was the point of Florida State playing North Alabama that late? There was no risk of a loss. It was incredibly stupid to play your starters. Should have been a bye week. I could see maybe if North Alabama turned out to be a top FCS teams but they were one of the worst. Its Norvell's fault for not trusting his backups or at least his backup QB vs one of the worst FCS teams.

If Alabama and FSU win very close games, and lets say Washington wins, it would be:

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Alabama

Would be very hard to justify an FSU team with a backup QB over a 12-1 UGa team with a close loss to Bama. All the metrics would tell you UGa is much better

Is Terry Bradshaw still on the committee? If he is, that should tell you the validity of this committee.

They should have just been 100% objective and went with conference champions only. You want to make the playoffs? You have to win your conference. Oh, you can't win your conference? Make a bid to join one you can and create some actual parity around the sport.

Is Terry Bradshaw still on the committee? If he is, that should tell you the validity of this committee.

They should have just been 100% objective and went with conference champions only. You want to make the playoffs? You have to win your conference. Oh, you can't win your conference? Make a bid to join one you can and create some actual parity around the sport.

I like having to win your conference, although that is now subjective as rankings matter if there is a tie for the ACC conference championship game.

I like having to win your conference, although that is now subjective as rankings matter if there is a tie for the ACC conference championship game.
Well back to the point about leaving your conference and perhaps create some parity, if you don't like the way your particular conference picks who gets to play in the conference championship game, then go find a new conference that picks it the way you like.

The unfortunate problem is that even with an objective playoff, you are going to get back to split national champions. Say Georgia loses to Bama so they're out of the playoff -- you know some people in media are still voting them the #1 team in the country. But that's fine, creating an objective playoff almost makes the media rankings irrelevant, which is good IMO. Nobody crowns the NFL world champ based on ESPN or Yahoo or some other company's power rankings. 2007 Patriots would still top any power ranking or media poll, but they aren't world champs.

12-1 Bama
12-1 Georgia
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Michigan

Well you’re wrong

They beat LSU and Florida OOC
They are in with a win no doubt

Why Oregon over Washington ? Wash already beat Oregon this season

Well you’re wrong

Now that I think about it, there's an outside chance they were trying to drum up some suspense with the Florida State comments. In any other sport, I might think a selection committee would be above that, but college football is the WWE with goalposts.

College Football is, was and remains stupid! Having 12 teams will probably be an improvement. But only if they give automatic bids, no questions asked, to conference champions. At least the P4 and one G5 minimum. if an 8-5 team wins ON THE FIELD, they are in. "JUDGING" BEST TEAM SUBJECTIVELY HAS MADE THE SPORT A JOKE.

Think about how ridiculous this BS is, a P5 team is on the verge of going 13-0 and winning a power conference championship unbeaten, and we are discussing leaving them out in favor of 2nd place teams with losses, because SUBJECTIVELY, we "think" they are better "on paper" at the current moment? The hell with anything that happened ON GRASS the last 4 months. All because JUST ONE of their players is injured, so the other 99 players and their 10 million fans have marched through the season, working hard, doing everything they had to do, UNBEATEN, in a P5, and even that team can be left out. Bama, Georgia, Michigan, tOSU.... YAY! Just schedule those 4 to play every Labor Day and forget the rest of the season.

It's not a real sport It's A JOKE :) And I say this as a person that would like to see FSU go 0-12 every year.

It's a fact that FSU is not one of the top 4 teams in the country without Travis.

With him, it's debatable, but if they're undefeated and win the ACC champ game you at least have to put them in.

Reactions: Pitt79
I think being down 12-0 with a backup QB then coming back to win proves you are a good team. Oregon may beat Washington and should, Alabama may beat Georgia but had Auburn not used the dumbest D ever on the last play they would have 2 losses. You don't keep an undefeated team out because they lost a player.
It's not like they lost a defensive back or receiver. They lost an all-American QB.

Without him, they most certainly are not a top 4 team.

The CFP has its flaws, but it's never made any bones about the fact that it's about which are the 4 best teams in college football, not the 4 best records.

It's a fact that FSU is not one of the top 4 teams in the country without Travis.

With him, it's debatable, but if they're undefeated and win the ACC champ game you at least have to put them in.
Top 4 resume with or without him. Not a top 4 team talent wise without Travis. If it’s about the resume/body of work, then they’re in.

Reactions: 303vND
This whole idea is like in 2017, Eagles lose Carson Wentz, at the time star QB, so Nick Foles has to come in, hey? It's not the same Eagles, need to leave them out of the playoffs.

Reactions: USN_Panther
It's not like they lost a defensive back or receiver. They lost an all-American QB.

Without him, they most certainly are not a top 4 team.

The CFP has its flaws, but it's never made any bones about the fact that it's about which are the 4 best teams in college football, not the 4 best records.
Then everything the entire program did the previous 4 months, the other 99 players, coaches, etc. it's erased because one guy gets hurt? You like this system I suppose?

Well you’re wrong

Beating the 5-7 Florida Fightin' Mertzs isn't the greatest resume material. They're terrible.

LSU is #19, so that's not earth shattering either. Duke is FSU's only other ranked win.

Hopefully, Louisville dispatches them and puts an end to this debate.

Top 4 resume with or without him. Not a top 4 team talent wise without Travis. If it’s about the resume/body of work, then they’re in.

Yeah, I think it's about resume. Everyone knew Cincinnati, TCU (even though they won a game), etc. weren't even as good as some 2-loss teams.

If it ever becomes about just flat out picking who they think the best teams are, then they might as well just call the whole season an exhibition.

I hope it happens just so we can see it play out, but I think an FSU team that wins 6-3 gets in over a Georgia team that loses 29-28.

Reactions: Pitt79 and Ronnyp91
So, a team does everything right for 4 months, then one guy gets injured and that erases their accomplishments?
It's not the third string placekick holder that got hurt. It's the engine that drives the bus.
Travis's replacement threw for a whopping 12-25 for 135 yards in his only start.

The fact is they lost their offense when Travis went down. With Rodamaker, they barely beat a 5-7 team that is bad defensively and was also playing with a backup QB for the first time. Putting them into the CFP ahead of undeniably strong teams only to see them get rolled would be a travesty.

College Football is, was and remains stupid! Having 12 teams will probably be an improvement. But only if they give automatic bids, no questions asked, to conference champions. At least the P4 and one G5 minimum. if an 8-5 team wins ON THE FIELD, they are in. "JUDGING" BEST TEAM SUBJECTIVELY HAS MADE THE SPORT A JOKE.

Think about how ridiculous this BS is, a P5 team is on the verge of going 13-0 and winning a power conference championship unbeaten, and we are discussing leaving them out in favor of 2nd place teams with losses, because SUBJECTIVELY, we "think" they are better "on paper" at the current moment? The hell with anything that happened ON GRASS the last 4 months. All because JUST ONE of their players is injured, so the other 99 players and their 10 million fans have marched through the season, working hard, doing everything they had to do, UNBEATEN, in a P5, and even that team can be left out. Bama, Georgia, Michigan, tOSU.... YAY! Just schedule those 4 to play every Labor Day and forget the rest of the season.

It's not a real sport It's A JOKE :) And I say this as a person that would like to see FSU go 0-12 every year.
College football has been subjectively deciding the NC that way since the 1st national champion was crowned and it has worked pretty well for the sport till now.

if fsu beats louisville and doesnt get in, that's a horrifically bad look for the ACC.

What is an underlying issue here and it looks like it's going to fix itself, is these conferences having championship games between divisions, where very rarely does the 2 best teams play in. Then a school like tosu is left out of the championship game over an iowa or wisconsin.

But the big 10 and acc are doing away with divisions so this shouldnt be a problem going forward.

College football has been subjectively deciding the NC that way since the 1st national champion was crowned and it has worked pretty well for the sport till now.
I'd say it hasn't worked well, which is why they have been trying to change the system for decades. If you are good with the subjective method, then there is no point to the playoffs. Let's go back to the pre-BCS era.

Reactions: Pitt79
It's not the third string placekick holder that got hurt. It's the engine that drives the bus.
Travis's replacement threw for a whopping 12-25 for 135 yards in his only start.

The fact is they lost their offense when Travis went down. With Rodamaker, they barely beat a 5-7 team that is bad defensively and was also playing with a backup QB for the first time. Putting them into the CFP ahead of undeniably strong teams only to see them get rolled would be a travesty.
So the entire season's accomplishments don't matter at all. It's a stupid system, they should get the chance to "get rolled", they deserve it.

Reactions: ThePanthers
guys, the playoffs are going to 12 teams next year, all this is being remedied.

but next year, the sec cheerleaders of the world (Finnebaum's) will complain why a 3 loss Auburn/LSU team is being left out over a 1 loss ACC team so we have that to look forward too.

Reactions: lmbjr24
No it hasn't, it's always been a joke.
dude, you just like to complain. Almost always has this system put up the two best teams to compete for the National Championship..

I look back at the bowl system prior to this and wonder what the hell they were thinking.. 1976 pitt playing #5 georgia in the sugar bowl with no efforts of trying to play the #2, or #3, or #4 team for an actual real championship game?

in 81, the #1 Georgia team played a #10 notre dame team in sugar bowl while Pitt at #3 played #18 South Carolina in the gator bowl lol.

I get it, it was the 80s and everyone was doing coke off of hookers bodies at night clubs but wasnt there any moment of clarity when someone said, "What the hell are we doing here?"

guys, the playoffs are going to 12 teams next year, all this is being remedied.

but next year, the sec cheerleaders of the world (Finnebaum's) will complain why a 3 loss Auburn/LSU team is being left out over a 1 loss ACC team so we have that to look forward too.
It's not remedied unless at least the P4 conference champs automatically get in, whoever they are and whatever their record, no matter who they beat, and I'd demand at least one G5 champ.

You don’t think there’s a bias on the CFP Committee?
That's why they make sure to include an array of voices. Three out of the 13 members have ACC roots, which is the same as some of the other major conferences.
Jim Grobe - UVA Alumnus and former Wake coach
Boo Corrigan - NC State's current AD and Selection Committee Chairman
Chet Gladchuck - A Boston College Alumnus that also served as their AD for nearly a decade.

dude, you just like to complain. Almost always has this system put up the two best teams to compete for the National Championship..

I look back at the bowl system prior to this and wonder what the hell they were thinking.. 1976 pitt playing #5 georgia in the sugar bowl with no efforts of trying to play the #2, or #3, or #4 team for an actual real championship game?

in 81, the #1 Georgia team played a #10 notre dame team in sugar bowl while Pitt at #3 played #18 South Carolina in the gator bowl lol.

I get it, it was the 80s and everyone was doing coke off of hookers bodies at night clubs but wasnt there any moment of clarity when someone said, "What the hell are we doing here?"
In 76 #2 Michigan & #3 USC were locked into the Rose Bowl and playing #5 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl was the best available opponent and bowl for Pitt. Maryland was #4 going into the bowls but the ACC didn't have a tie-in at the time and it was an extremely rare year that both Nebraska and Oklahoma stunk and didn't play in the Orange Bowl, #12 Colorado did.

Pitt got royally screwed in 1980, isn't the story that the Sugar invited ND in October before they tied a 1 loss GT team 3-3 and got thumped by USC the last week of the season. But Pitt did benefit for bowl bids going out early the next season when they got the Sugar Bowl invite before losing to Penn State.

12-1 Bama
12-1 Georgia
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Michigan

Current health of the team is not one of the requirements of the ranking system and I'm not sure all committee members view that issue the same way. Here is their charge by charter: "The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents."

Ranking "performance on the field" is listed first, and can imply (but does not state entirely) that they should rank how a team did so far, not to project out to how they will do in the future. So maybe injuries aren't really a part of it to some voters.

The best argument against FSU is strength of schedule (around #80.) It really didn't help them that Florida is so down this year and that LSU got a couple more losses since their big game. But they tried to schedule aggressively, that's 11 power 5 games after the conference title game. And since they're already #4, I think if they win, they're in.

Beating the 5-7 Florida Fightin' Mertzs isn't the greatest resume material. They're terrible.

LSU is #19, so that's not earth shattering either. Duke is FSU's only other ranked win.

Hopefully, Louisville dispatches them and puts an end to this debate.
Two legit P5 OOC wins plus being undefeated - they are top 4

Texas played 1 P5 ooc team and have a loss
Washington only played a bad MSU team ooc from P5 but they are likewise in with a win

Let’s say Oregon wins - why is their resume with 1 loss better than FSU ?

Michigan is in even with a loss to Iowa - because their resume is that strong
Alabama likely wins and takes Georgia’s spot because Georgia’s resume is weak , honestly .
If you’re going to dismiss LSU and Florida as ooc - let’s talk about GT being their only P5 ooc opponent who is 6-6

Reactions: USN_Panther
if fsu beats louisville and doesnt get in, that's a horrifically bad look for the ACC.

What is an underlying issue here and it looks like it's going to fix itself, is these conferences having championship games between divisions, where very rarely does the 2 best teams play in. Then a school like tosu is left out of the championship game over an iowa or wisconsin.

But the big 10 and acc are doing away with divisions so this shouldnt be a problem going forward.

No its not. They stupidly chose to allow their QB to get injured playing against a JUCO. Its their fault. They arent a Top 4 team with some random bum at QB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT