ADVERTISEMENT

This CFP Selection Committee is a joke...

No its not. They stupidly chose to allow their QB to get injured playing against a JUCO. Its their fault. They arent a Top 4 team with some random bum at QB
As I said, I don't think committee members are weighing health of the teams really: "The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents."

Florida is having a down year again but it was still a road win against their main rival, an SEC team. They're not going to be punished for that sort of thing nor should they be.

if Bama beats georgia in the SEC championship then no way in sam hell do both teams get into playoffs considering that will leave a one loss texas out, who beat alabama.

If texas wins the big 12 championship of course.. so what then? Does georgia stay in, despite losing the SEC game?

if Bama beats georgia in the SEC championship then no way in sam hell do both teams get into playoffs considering that will leave a one loss texas out, who beat alabama.

If texas wins the big 12 championship of course.. so what then? Does georgia stay in, despite losing the SEC game?
I agree bama takes Georgia’s spot - Georgia in with a win
Michigan in no matter what
FSU only with a win
Texas jumps fsu if they lose to Louisville
The pac 10 champ winner is the other

It's not the third string placekick holder that got hurt. It's the engine that drives the bus.
Travis's replacement threw for a whopping 12-25 for 135 yards in his only start.

The fact is they lost their offense when Travis went down. With Rodamaker, they barely beat a 5-7 team that is bad defensively and was also playing with a backup QB for the first time. Putting them into the CFP ahead of undeniably strong teams only to see them get rolled would be a travesty.
You mean like putting Michigan in last year, that was a close game right. You never know what will happen and an undefeated ACC team should be in over a 1 loss big or SEC team. Bad QB's have won super bowls and Larry Fitz lost the Heismann to a scrub QB from Oklahoma.

No its not. They stupidly chose to allow their QB to get injured playing against a JUCO. Its their fault. They arent a Top 4 team with some random bum at QB
So, all you do the whole season, go 13-0 in a power conference it's all meaningless, all that matters is who you can suit up today?

Dang, I forgot Texas beat Bama.

Michigan: in
Washington: in (lets just say they win)
Bama: in (lets say they win)

How do you leave Texas out who won at Alabama? Gotta go Texas over FSU without its QB.

So, all you do the whole season, go 13-0 in a power conference it's all meaningless, all that matters is who you can suit up today?

If its the guy who plays the most important position in all of sports, yes. And its FSU's fault. They brought this on themselves.

If its the guy who plays the most important position in all of sports, yes. And its FSU's fault. They brought this on themselves.
So if a team starts 0-4 then wins their last 3 vs Bama, Georgia and Michigan, they finish 8-4 but are clearly "best" right now by the all-important "eye test" should they be in?

So if a team starts 0-4 then wins their last 3 vs Bama, Georgia and Michigan, they finish 8-4 but are clearly "best" right now by the all-important "eye test" should they be in?

NOOO

You have to consider a lot of things. A record of 13-0 and 12-1 is very close. You cant just say 13-0 deserved it more because their record is better. Should 13-0 Liberty be in? They are undefeated. No. Because you look at their resume. Look at FSU's resume. Its not bad. But they won 10 of those games with their best player, who is no longer on the team. That has to be considered. And for the millionth time, its FSU's own stupid fault. I feel like they should be punished for putting the CFP in this position

NOOO

You have to consider a lot of things. A record of 13-0 and 12-1 is very close. You cant just say 13-0 deserved it more because their record is better. Should 13-0 Liberty be in? They are undefeated. No. Because you look at their resume. Look at FSU's resume. Its not bad. But they won 10 of those games with their best player, who is no longer on the team. That has to be considered. And for the millionth time, its FSU's own stupid fault. I feel like they should be punished for putting the CFP in this position
FSU is in a power conference. Now that's not a lock? UNBEATEN in a power conference? This is why I want objective playoff criteria, like at the very least, minimum, P4 champs IN NO MATTER THEIR RESUME OR EYE TEST, it would suck if someday Pitt was 13-0 and their QB got injured in the conference championship game.

NOOO

But that 8-4 team at that moment could be the subjective, eye test winning best team, can't they? They beat the best.

NOOO

You can feel how you want but that's not the standard. The AP and Coaches Poll also have FSU #4. They're in if they win based on the resume not the injury report.

It's a fact that FSU is not one of the top 4 teams in the country without Travis.

With him, it's debatable, but if they're undefeated and win the ACC champ game you at least have to put them in.
It's a fact that FSU is not one of the top 4 teams in the country without Travis...uh, other than you being fact master of the Universe is there something else that makes it a "fact" other than that? Test tubes involved? Blood tests? Side angle side geometry proof?

The only fact is they are a team of 80+ guys on a team who went (assuming a win on Saturday) undefeated and are from a P5 conference...

You can feel how you want but that's not the standard. The AP and Coaches Poll also have FSU #4. They're in if they win based on the resume not the injury report.
And if they go into the playoffs and have their asses handed to them, that's what absolutely should have happened, so what? Steelers best team in 1976 lost in the playoffs because Franco and Rocky where out, so what? They still deserved to be there to lose the game.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
And if they go into the playoffs and have their asses handed to them, that's what absolutely should have happened, so what? Steelers best team in 1976 lost in the playoffs because Franco and Rocky where out, so what? They still deserved to be there to lose the game.
I agree, if you don't base it on most deserving, than the first half of the season shouldn't matter and you should only rank the four teams hottest right now. SMF's logic is really only being applied because he is annoyed or whatever that FSU will get in with an injured QB; if actually applied it would undermine the regular season.

Reactions: Pitt79
FSU is in a power conference. Now that's not a lock? UNBEATEN in a power conference? This is why I want objective playoff criteria, like at the very least, minimum, P4 champs IN NO MATTER THEIR RESUME OR EYE TEST, it would suck if someday Pitt was 13-0 and their QB got injured in the conference championship game.

If Pitt decided to play its star QB against Robert Morris in late November and he suffered a season-ending injury, that would suck but I would understand the CFP punishing Pitt due to sheer stupidity. Travis shouldn't have played. He wasnt needed. Because he did, I would leave them out.

• Haha
The Playoff committee's job right now is to find the 4 best teams, not the 4 most deserving teams, now there is a lot of wiggle room in those definitions that allows them to do whatever they want.

College football is a subjective sport and always has been and the only time they tried to use computers to help figure it out people lost their minds. College football is a beautiful mess which is one of the things that makes it great.

Because FSU has 0 losses
Texas has 1

Listen, I hate Vegas-based predictive metrices like NET in basketball. However, I do think in rare, unusual circumstances, it has a seat at the table. Would Texas or 12-1 Georgia be favored on a neutral field over Travis-less FSU? Yes. And by a lot. 7+. FSU won 10 games with a team they cannot bring to the CFP. That matters. Let's take this many steps further. What if their entire 1st string, all 22 starters were ruled ineligible or transferred or whatever? Should they still go in at 13-0?

I think being down 12-0 with a backup QB then coming back to win proves you are a good team. Oregon may beat Washington and should, Alabama may beat Georgia but had Auburn not used the dumbest D ever on the last play they would have 2 losses. You don't keep an undefeated team out because they lost a player.
Alabama escaped Auburn who lost at home by 21 to N. Mexico State the week earlier. It is so much confirmation bias

The Playoff committee's job right now is to find the 4 best teams, not the 4 most deserving teams, now there is a lot of wiggle room in those definitions that allows them to do whatever they want.

College football is a subjective sport and always has been and the only time they tried to use computers to help figure it out people lost their minds. College football is a beautiful mess which is one of the things that makes it great.
You could easily make it at least half objective, automatic bids, no questions asked, no optometrists doing eye tests, to the conference champs. You have 4 Power conferences going forward, so give their champs automatic bids and then to give everyone a shot, give at least one G5 champ an automatic bid, or even pick two G5s and have a play-in game, more TV money. that would leave you 5-7 extra slots, so people won't cry about Bama, Georgia, tOSU and Michigan being ever left out, hey send them their bids on Labor Day :)

Pitt 13-0? Just about the time I date Jennifer Anniston

You mean like putting Michigan in last year, that was a close game right. You never know what will happen and an undefeated ACC team should be in over a 1 loss big or SEC team. Bad QB's have won super bowls and Larry Fitz lost the Heismann to a scrub QB from Oklahoma.
Not one word of that post made sense, nor did it in any way support an argument that FSU should get into the CFP.

It's a fact that FSU is not one of the top 4 teams in the country without Travis...uh, other than you being fact master of the Universe is there something else that makes it a "fact" other than that? Test tubes involved? Blood tests? Side angle side geometry proof?

The only fact is they are a team of 80+ guys on a team who went (assuming a win on Saturday) undefeated and are from a P5 conference...
Yes its a fact. Have you seen Travis's replacement(s) play?

FSU has a very nice team, especially defensively. But now they are weak at the most important position on the field, the one that the entire offense depends on. That's not even debatable.

As I've said, hopefully Louisville puts an end to this debate Saturday.

I look forward to seeing the inevitable "Pitt beat Louisville, so we were this close to being 12-0 and a CFP team instead of 3-9...if we had just started yarnell from Day 1." posts. The Lair is nothing if not predictable in its absurdity.

Is Terry Bradshaw still on the committee? If he is, that should tell you the validity of this committee.

They should have just been 100% objective and went with conference champions only. You want to make the playoffs? You have to win your conference. Oh, you can't win your conference? Make a bid to join one you can and create some actual parity around the sport.

Show me a link that says Terry Bradshaw was EVER on the college football playoff committee? What other falsehoods you believe?

if FSU goes undefeated and wins the conference, and DOESNT make the playoffs, every complaint and insult the fans and president have had towards the ACC being an inferior league is justified and confirmed..

I could care less about FSU but that would be a disastrous look for the ACC if this happens. i dont think it would but man there is a lot of grumblings from national media types about wanting a one loss GA or Texas in over an undefeated FSU..

Yes its a fact. Have you seen Travis's replacement(s) play?

FSU has a very nice team, especially defensively. But now they are weak at the most important position on the field, the one that the entire offense depends on. That's not even debatable.

As I've said, hopefully Louisville puts an end to this debate Saturday.

I look forward to seeing the inevitable "Pitt beat Louisville, so we were this close to being 12-0 and a CFP team instead of 3-9...if we had just started yarnell from Day 1." posts. The Lair is nothing if not predictable in its absurdity.
Using the same logic in reverse, Pitt should be in the playoff this year.
If you are going to penalize an undefeated team for having an injured QB, then you can reward a team for getting their injured star player back.
And we all know that accurate injury information is readily available from coaches.
But Yarney had a lingering injury that kept him out so Pitt lost. He was healthy for BC, banged up for Duke so lost. But now he's healthy and back, so this current version of Pitt is better than everyone!
Seriously, if the committee is going to consider injuries for players in the selection process, you're going to see teams going full on Tonya Harding. Look at what Michigan did. They had a staffer in disguise on the Western Michigan sideline stealing signs. Harbaugh would be out there with gray hair and a fake moustache bashing opposing QBs on the street with a cane. And he'd get a game added to his suspension and not have to play Georgia as the committee would drop them due to the injured QB.

Show me a link that says Terry Bradshaw was EVER on the college football playoff committee? What other falsehoods you believe?

Not sure if I can find the link but I remember in 2014 - his name was brought up. I thought he was on the inaugural committee. There was some backlash because I remember people saying how much college football is Terry really watching? I believe his name was mentioned with others as being considered in the initial committee. He wasn't alone there were some other media types that were initially brought up for consideration.

Now that I look them up - the point remains though with having Condoleezza Rice on those early committees.

Not sure if I can find the link but I remember in 2014 - his name was brought up. I thought he was on the inaugural committee. There was some backlash because I remember people saying how much college football is Terry really watching? I believe his name was mentioned with others as being considered in the initial committee. He wasn't alone there were some other media types that were initially brought up for consideration.

Now that I look them up - the point remains though with having Condoleezza Rice on those early committees.
No Bradshaw. Ever.

if FSU goes undefeated and wins the conference, and DOESNT make the playoffs, every complaint and insult the fans and president have had towards the ACC being an inferior league is justified and confirmed..

I could care less about FSU but that would be a disastrous look for the ACC if this happens. i dont think it would but man there is a lot of grumblings from national media types about wanting a one loss GA or Texas in over an undefeated FSU..

Why does Mike Norvell escape all blame for playing him vs a really really bad FCS team? Listen, had he been injured vs even like Syracuse or us, I'd have some sympathy and may feel they deserve to be in. But you dont schedule North Alabama in November AND play your star QB. That is so stupid and they deserve to miss out because of that. They would be a heavy underdog in any game.

• Haha
Beating the 5-7 Florida Fightin' Mertzs isn't the greatest resume material. They're terrible.

LSU is #19, so that's not earth shattering either. Duke is FSU's only other ranked win.

Hopefully, Louisville dispatches them and puts an end to this debate.
You Big Pretend freaks are all the same. YOU NEVER WIN WHEN IT MATTERS. If you have one or two undeserving teams in, it won't matter. And how is LSU #19? They were #5 when FSU beat them and are #13 now. It's better than any Big Pretend win aside from beating other Big Pretend teams, who beat no one of relevance outside that fraud conference of yours.

• Haha
Reactions: Hayekr
FSU wins they are in - because their resume is deserving
It’s that simple
Same with Georgia
MSU is in regardless but they will kill Iowa who is garbage
If Texas sinks and Georgia loses they are instead of bama
Pac 10 winner is the other spot

FSU wins they are in - because their resume is deserving
It’s that simple
Same with Georgia
MSU is in regardless but they will kill Iowa who is garbage
If Texas sinks and Georgia loses they are instead of bama
Pac 10 winner is the other spot

If they lose all 22 starters for the season tomorrow due to some infraction but still beat Louisville 7-6, do they still deserve to go in due to the resume put together by players no longer on the team?

If they lose all 22 starters for the season tomorrow due to some infraction but still beat Louisville 7-6, do they still deserve to go in due to the resume put together by players no longer on the team?
Yes 100%, or it's not even a real sport. what did they play 13 games for if it's all wiped out like that, your ideas are insane, and college football is stupid.

Why does Mike Norvell escape all blame for playing him vs a really really bad FCS team? Listen, had he been injured vs even like Syracuse or us, I'd have some sympathy and may feel they deserve to be in. But you dont schedule North Alabama in November AND play your star QB. That is so stupid and they deserve to miss out because of that. They would be a heavy underdog in any game.
So coaches should sit players in regular season games vs. bad teams now too? Not just meaningless bowl games? What if he sits and they lose or only win by a small margin? Do you then blame him for not playing him?

You Big Pretend freaks are all the same. YOU NEVER WIN WHEN IT MATTERS. If you have one or two undeserving teams in, it won't matter. And how is LSU #19? They were #5 when FSU beat them and are #13 now. It's better than any Big Pretend win aside from beating other Big Pretend teams, who beat no one of relevance outside that fraud conference of yours.
There he is, the newly minted worlds biggest FSU fan, formerly known as the world’s biggest Clemson fan. 🤡

So coaches should sit players in regular season games vs. bad teams now too? Not just meaningless bowl games? What if he sits and they lose or only win by a small margin? Do you then blame him for not playing him?
FSU was actually losing when Travis was injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT