ADVERTISEMENT

This CFP Selection Committee is a joke...

You can feel how you want but that's not the standard. The AP and Coaches Poll also have FSU #4. They're in if they win based on the resume not the injury report.

This is just people talking stupid. There is zero chance FSU wins and gets left out of the playoff. Absolutely zero chance.

This is just people talking stupid. There is zero chance FSU wins and gets left out of the playoff. Absolutely zero chance.

There's a very real chance if they dont look good vs Lou and everything goes wrong for them elsewhere. Imagine this scenario:

1. Mich 13-0
2. Wash 13-0
3. Bama 12-1

No one is going to argue that a 12-1 SEC Champ Bama team is getting left out. We all agree on that. Who is #4?

12-1 Texas who won AT Alabama. How could you put in Bama and not the team that beat them? That makes like 0 sense?

13-0 FSU with 2 close wins over mediocre with their backup QB.

In this scenario, FSU is getting left out. And blame Norvell. Not the committee

Reactions: Hayekr
So coaches should sit players in regular season games vs. bad teams now too? Not just meaningless bowl games? What if he sits and they lose or only win by a small margin? Do you then blame him for not playing him?

They should sit their most important players when playing a 3-7 FCS team in November. If that game is in Sep, go ahead and play them. If in November, absolutely you need to sit them. If the game gets too close for comfort, put them in. If you are competing for a NC, you cannot be afraid of losing to one of the worst FCS teams.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
No one is going to argue that a 12-1 SEC Champ Bama team is getting left out. We all agree on that.

If Michigan, Washington, Florida State and Texas all win then Alabama absolutely, 100% should get left out.

If they don't, then you are telling everyone that the actual games on the field do not matter. Texas beat Alabama, at Alabama, by 10 points. As long as Texas and Alabama end the season with one loss Texas HAS to be ahead of Alabama, or you are telling teams to stop scheduling games like that. Which they absolutely do not want to do.

Reactions: pittbb80 and Pitt79
If Michigan, Washington, Florida State and Texas all win then Alabama absolutely, 100% should get left out.

If they don't, then you are telling everyone that the actual games on the field do not matter. Texas beat Alabama, at Alabama, by 10 points. As long as Texas and Alabama end the season with one loss Texas HAS to be ahead of Alabama, or you are telling teams to stop scheduling games like that. Which they absolutely do not want to do.

There's a 0% chance that the 12-1 SEC Champ is getting left out. 0%. We both know that. Comes down to Texas or FSU. And it has to be Texas over an FSU team without a QB.

Yep-
Alabama has a Texas problem

There's a 0% chance that the 12-1 SEC Champ is getting left out. 0%. We both know that. Comes down to Texas or FSU. And it has to be Texas over an FSU team without a QB.
Texas beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa -
Texas absolutely is in over bama .
The actual results of the games on the resume is what matters - not what you project is the better playoff game

Yep-
Alabama has a Texas problem

And FSU has an SEC Champion problem. Alabama would have 1 loss and to a CFP team. Both they and FSU beat LSU. Bama beat Ten and Miss. FSU beat Clem and Lou. But then the big one. Bama would have beat #1 UGa and FSU doesnt have a QB.

1. Mich vs 4. Bama Rose Bowl
2. Wash vs 3. Texas Sugar Bowl

5. FSU vs. 6. UGa Orange Bowl

Heck of an Orange Bowl to be honest.

Reactions: Hayekr
seeing rumors that FSU's backup qb will be out from concussion for the ACC championship game. this is very likely all to be a moot point if louisville handles FSU's 3rd string qb.

If they don't, then you are telling everyone that the actual games on the field do not matter.
It's been like that for years already, they for years don't even respect head to head wins. College Football=the WWE of the legit sports world, actual games matter less than everything else to people like SMF or Feinbaum the SEC Shill.

It's been like that for years already, they for years don't even respect head to head wins. College Football=the WWE of the legit sports world, actual games matter less than everything else to people like SMF or Feinbaum the SEC Shill.

Last year I said 10-2 Bama should have gotten in over 12-1 TCU who didnt even win their conference and I was right. Lose to Kansas State = you arent that good

Last year I said 10-2 Bama should have gotten in over 12-1 TCU who didnt even win their conference and I was right. Lose to Kansas State = you arent that good
No, you were wrong, TCU deserved to be there, or the regular season is meaningless, so let's give Bama their bid on Labor Day every year, they are always REALLY "the best" so why fool around with games and rankings.

No, you were wrong, TCU deserved to be there, or the regular season is meaningless, so let's give Bama their bid on Labor Day every year, they are always REALLY "the best" so why fool around with games and rankings.

If you are TCU and you win every game by 1 point, which they did, you better not lose to Kansas State in your championship game. Had they lost their game in Sep and won the B12CG, I would have said they deserved to be in but you cant put together a resume based on luck if you plan on losing to a pedestrian KSt team a day before they announce the field.

If you are TCU and you win every game by 1 point, which they did, you better not lose to Kansas State in your championship game. Had they lost their game in Sep and won the B12CG, I would have said they deserved to be in but you cant put together a resume based on luck if you plan on losing to a pedestrian KSt team a day before they announce the field.
I want objective, you want hyper analyzed subjective, a win is a win, luck or not. you want subjective best teams, I want what the game results give us. I don't care about getting the 4 best teams, if one of the four best teams like Bama loses 2 games I want a lesser team to take their spot to make actual game mean something.

I want objective, you want hyper analyzed subjective, a win is a win, luck or not. you want subjective best teams, I want what the game results give us. I don't care about getting the 4 best teams, if one of the four best teams like Bama loses 2 games I want a lesser team to take their spot to make actual game mean something.
people rooting for the college playoffs to be a popularity contest while ignoring the regular season are hilarious to me. i cant even take them serious, i just assume they are bored and trolling people just to get a reaction.

like the people that fake believe that birds are govt drones or the earth is flat. no one believes it, they just pretend to invoke a reaction. i put these people in the same category that believe this college playoff popularity nonsense.

I want a combination of best/deserving. I dont simply want the 4 best teams according to Vegas. To me, there isnt much difference between a record of 12-1 and 13-0 or 12-1 and 10-2. Schedules are different. The team with the better record starts out ahead but then you have to look at everything. Who did they play? Who was hurt then or now? How did the games play out?

I want a combination of best/deserving. I dont simply want the 4 best teams according to Vegas. To me, there isnt much difference between a record of 12-1 and 13-0 or 12-1 and 10-2. Schedules are different. The team with the better record starts out ahead but then you have to look at everything. Who did they play? Who was hurt then or now? How did the games play out?
I don't want any of that, I'd set up a system where there are totally objective paths into a playoff, like before spring practice a team knows if they win this division, this conference, this particular championship game, they are guaranteed in the playoffs, no matter who they beat or what any optometrist says about their eye test. For this 12 team playoff, I'd definitely, at the very least MANDATE that the 4 power conference champions are in, no matter what, if somehow 7-5 Pitt qualified for the ACCCG and somehow upset 12-0 Clemson, they are in at 8-5 no questions asked, and at the very least, I'd mandate that at least one G5 champ is guaranteed a spot, even if the 4th place ACC team would destroy them 55-3. Unfortunately, half the spots would still be subjected to your kind of BS, but at least that would be a start. If I was really in charge, I would actually eventually divide the teams into 16 leagues, based on geographic locations and rivalries and just mandate that the playoffs are the champs of each league, even if it causes a subjectively better team to be left out here and there.

To me, there isnt much difference between a record of 12-1 and 13-0 or 12-1 and 10-2.

If you've paid any attention to what the committee has done over the years, you would know that while you don't think there's any difference between 12-1 or 13-0 or 12-1 and 10-2 the committee actually does.

As an example right now here is, in order, the total number of losses by the P5 teams in the last rankings:

0-0-0-0-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-2-3-2-3-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-4

YOU might not think that there is any difference between 0 and 1 losses, or 1 and 2 losses, but it's pretty obvious that the people who matter think that there is a difference. A big difference.

Which is also why no two loss team has ever made the playoff.

12-1 Texas who won AT Alabama. How could you put in Bama and not the team that beat them? That makes like 0 sense?

13-0 FSU with 2 close wins over mediocre with their backup QB.

In this scenario, FSU is getting left out. And blame Norvell. Not the committee
The CFP committee rules says there is a preference for conference champions. It lists that before SoS even (which is questionable but hey), head to head, and comparative outcome against common opponent. Undefeated FSU will be in.

They do actually mention injuries once on their website, even if not in their bylaws. Here is the quote fwiw:
"Football is popular in some measure because the outcome of a game between reasonably matched teams is so often decided by emotional commitment, momentum, injuries and the “unexpected bounce of the ball.”

So they list injuries, but only in the same random factor sort of comment as a ball that bounces a certain way.
FSU is in if they win.

Reactions: Pitt79
If you've paid any attention to what the committee has done over the years, you would know that while you don't think there's any difference between 12-1 or 13-0 or 12-1 and 10-2 the committee actually does.

As an example right now here is, in order, the total number of losses by the P5 teams in the last rankings:

0-0-0-0-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-2-3-2-3-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-4

YOU might not think that there is any difference between 0 and 1 losses, or 1 and 2 losses, but it's pretty obvious that the people who matter think that there is a difference. A big difference.

Which is also why no two loss team has ever made the playoff.
Wait until next year when there will be multiple teams in there with 2-3 loses. Do you actually think a Pitt football team with a 11-1 regular season record will get in over 9-3 Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon or any other of the teams that the media has fallen in love with?? I'll answer that for you...NO they will not.

Wait until next year when there will be multiple teams in there with 2-3 loses. Do you actually think a Pitt football team with a 11-1 regular season record will get in over 9-3 Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon or any other of the teams that the media has fallen in love with?? I'll answer that for you...NO they will not.
Those teams are still likely to be ranked 1 or 2 in their respective conferences. An 11-1 ACC team is absolutely getting in and with that record, they'd likely be the ACC champion.

Those teams are still likely to be ranked 1 or 2 in their respective conferences. An 11-1 ACC team is absolutely getting in and with that record, they'd likely be the ACC champion.
"Likely" isn't going to make the situation any better. As I said in another post, EVERY FBS Conference Champion should be GUARANTEED a spot in the post season tournament. I'd prefer a 16 team post season tournament, with 10 of those spots being filled by the each Conference Champions and then 6 wild card teams. That is happening next year, so with 12 teams, same thing except only 2 wild card teams. This is the only FAIR way of giving all FBS programs a fair chance to win a National Title. That being said, the powers that be would never let that happen. The SEC and Big 10 will fight like hell to keep the silly system that is in place now. By doing that, they control which teams get in and the rules on deciding how that happens. it is all about MONEY.

Yes. A 2 loss difference is too difficult to overcome.

"Likely" isn't going to make the situation any better. As I said in another post, EVERY FBS Conference Champion should be GUARANTEED a spot in the post season tournament. I'd prefer a 16 team post season tournament, with 10 of those spots being filled by the each Conference Champions and then 6 wild card teams. That is happening next year, so with 12 teams, same thing except only 2 wild card teams. This is the only FAIR way of giving all FBS programs a fair chance to win a National Title. That being said, the powers that be would never let that happen. The SEC and Big 10 will fight like hell to keep the silly system that is in place now. By doing that, they control which teams get in and the rules on deciding how that happens. it is all about MONEY.

Its going to be 5 auto bids. 5 best conference champs + 7 at-large

Even if FSU is 13-0, I wouldn't put them in over:

12-1 Bama
12-1 Georgia
12-1 Oregon
13-0 Michigan

FSU is not one of the best 4 teams in the country with a backup QB. Norvell is an all-time idiot for playing his starters vs one of the worst FCS teams. What sense does it make to schedule North Alabama before Florida if you are going to play your starters. Win the game with your 2nd string and it things get dicey by halftime, then you play your starters. This is on Norvell. They deserve to be left out
I guess Pitt has to give their 1976 Championship back because Tom Yewcic, 3rd string started and won 3 or 4 games. In todays environment, the minute Matt Cavanaugh went down with his ankle injury Pitt would have been voted down from #1 to #6/#7 "because theyre not as good now" and/or "don't look as good"

However, maybe 1979 and 1980 will get elevated to #1 after the fact because at the end of the season "they look better than everyone else" (Even though they lost a mid season game both years) Ironically one of them to Florida State.

Florida State should have been allowed to at least lose on the field, instead of losing to ESPN and SEC lawyers in a locked back room.

I guess Pitt has to give their 1976 Championship back because Tom Yewcic, 3rd string started and won 3 or 4 games. In todays environment, the minute Matt Cavanaugh went down with his ankle injury Pitt would have been voted down from #1 to #6/#7 "because theyre not as good now" and/or "don't look as good"

However, maybe 1979 and 1980 will get elevated to #1 after the fact because at the end of the season "they look better than everyone else" (Even though they lost a mid season game both years) Ironically one of them to Florida State.

Florida State should have been allowed to at least lose on the field, instead of losing to ESPN and SEC lawyers in a locked back room.
Perfectly stated!!

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
The CFP committee rules says there is a preference for conference champions. It lists that before SoS even (which is questionable but hey), head to head, and comparative outcome against common opponent. Undefeated FSU will be in.

They do actually mention injuries once on their website, even if not in their bylaws. Here is the quote fwiw:
"Football is popular in some measure because the outcome of a game between reasonably matched teams is so often decided by emotional commitment, momentum, injuries and the “unexpected bounce of the ball.”

So they list injuries, but only in the same random factor sort of comment as a ball that bounces a certain way.
FSU is in if they win.
I admit a mistake. I assumed the CFP committee would vote based on their own written rules and conference champ preference and not their personal preferences. I am sorry for being so naive.

Reactions: CentPaPittFan
I admit a mistake. I assumed the CFP committee would vote based on their own written rules and conference champ preference and not their personal preferences. I am sorry for being so naive.
name a selected team that isn't a conference champion.

Name an undefeated P5 conference champ that isn't in.

It's refreshing to know the committee can tell the future regarding QB play.
Where in their guidelines does it say undefeated? It says that teams of a similar record will be judged on a number of criteria. Similar, not exact.

I agree that no where does it say to take injuries into consideration and I personally would have voted in FSU. But also, if I had to bet a year's salary on a match-up between Alabama and FSU with a backup QB then I'd be putting my money on Bama 10 times out of 10.

Where in their guidelines does it say undefeated? It says that teams of a similar record will be judged on a number of criteria. Similar, not exact.

I agree that no where does it say to take injuries into consideration and I personally would have voted in FSU. But also, if I had to bet a year's salary on a match-up between Alabama and FSU with a backup QB then I'd be putting my money on Bama 10 times out of 10.
And if I had to bet on a rematch against Alabama and UGA, I'd take UGA. But Georgia is 6th. What we think might happen shouldn't matter. What should matter is what happened on the field. Not really arguing with you, but with the process.

They dropped the #4 team from their own ranking last week, and moved #7 and #8 ahead of them after they won their conference championship by 10 points, with a 3rd string QB who won't be starting in the playoff. There's no logical explanation that doesn't include they f*cked FSU over to put an SEC team in. None.

There are no rules or guidelines. It's a bunch of folks who pick the teams they like the best. Forget about these weeks of CFP rankings being unveiled. It's all made for TV bullshit.

Reactions: USN_Panther

And if I had to bet on a rematch against Alabama and UGA, I'd take UGA. But Georgia is 6th. What we think might happen shouldn't matter. What should matter is what happened on the field. Not really arguing with you, but with the process.

They dropped the #4 team from their own ranking last week, and moved #7 and #8 ahead of them after they won their conference championship by 10 points, with a 3rd string QB who won't be starting in the playoff. There's no logical explanation that doesn't include they f*cked FSU over to put an SEC team in. None.

There are no rules or guidelines. It's a bunch of folks who pick the teams they like the best. Forget about these weeks of CFP rankings being unveiled. It's all made for TV bullshit.
It would be like if you, me, Titos, wbr and Fk were on the committee and PSU, ND and USC were all undefeated. We'd just drop them out. Injured holder---not the same team. Not enough passing yards ---out. Always chokes in big games---out. That would be fun.

So you’d put your annual salary on FSU as it is now against Bama?

Yes. A 2 loss difference is too difficult to overcome.I am sorry my friend, but you are wrong. Look at what they just did this year. The selection committee just showed us all their built in bias towards teams from the SEC and big 10. Pitt could be 12-0 and when they are being compared to a 10-2 Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, LSU, Michigan, USC, etc..., they will always look bad on paper because of the perceived talent differences between the two teams and thus, will not be selected. Just ask this years FSU team if your on field results matter.

No, I wouldn't put annual salary on anyone.

When has the criteria been who you would bet on? If so, just let Vegas pick the top 4. No need for a committee.
way to dodge that totally legally binding hypothetical so as to not answer the question. Their mandate is to choose the 4 best teams. In all of the arguments, I haven't seen a single one saying that they actually think FSU is better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT