ADVERTISEMENT

This CFP Selection Committee is a joke...

I’m adding this here… ESPN was laying the groundwork for leaving out undefeated FSU *before* Jordan Travis got injured. Alabama was going to get in regardless of what happened.

way to dodge that totally legally binding hypothetical so as to not answer the question. Their mandate is to choose the 4 best teams. In all of the arguments, I haven't seen a single one saying that they actually think FSU is better.

Your hypothetical isn't relevant. There are several teams I'd bet on over Washington that aren't in the top 4. I already told you I'd take UGA over Bama. We can play this game with all the teams.

This 4 best teams talk is cute. What defines the 4 best teams? Your opinion?
Vegas? When have they ever worried about taking the 4 best teams?

There's a season that's played. There's rankings that take place every week. Rankings that said FSU was one of the 4 best just last week - while full strength Bama and Wash were doing their best to choke games away to double digit underdogs. Games that were in far more doubt than either of FSU's last 2 games.

I'm just glad so many people already know how Rodemaker was going to play in the playoffs. Hypothetically, of course.

Your hypothetical isn't relevant. There are several teams I'd bet on over Washington that aren't in the top 4. I already told you I'd take UGA over Bama. We can play this game with all the teams.

This 4 best teams talk is cute. What defines the 4 best teams? Your opinion?
Vegas? When have they ever worried about taking the 4 best teams?

There's a season that's played. There's rankings that take place every week. Rankings that said FSU was one of the 4 best just last week - while full strength Bama and Wash were doing their best to choke games away to double digit underdogs. Games that were in far more doubt than either of FSU's last 2 games.

I'm just glad so many people already know how Rodemaker was going to play in the playoffs. Hypothetically, of course.
I'd have voted for FSU for obvious reasons, but at the same time I can't fault them for putting Alabama in. No one thinks that FSU is the better team.

FSU's last 2 games weren't close? They needed UF's Dbacks to commit the world's dumbest targeting mistake on a 3rd-and-14 with under 3 minutes left in the 4th. The QB slid 5 yards short of the 1st but they leveled him. This was against a 5-7 team (same as Washington State).

People on here like to talk about "on the field" vs "on paper" in this argument, but I feel that they are using it incorrectly. On paper FSU is a 13-0, but on the field they are no longer that team. Florida has a terrible defense this season and FSU made them look like 2022 Georgia. Then they passed for less than 60 yards vs Louisville.

Cardale Jones came in and took Wisconsin behind the woodshed, FSU's backups came in and looked like they were trying to cheer up Jurkovec by somehow playing worse.

Edit: I was wrong about the targeting call. I thought they were down 14-15 at the time, but they were actually up 17-15 after a 4th quarter field goal.

Last edited:
I'd have voted for FSU for obvious reasons, but at the same time I can't fault them for putting Alabama in. No one thinks that FSU is the better team.

FSU's last 2 games weren't close? They needed UF's Dbacks to commit the world's dumbest targeting mistake on a 3rd-and-14 with under 3 minutes left in the 4th. The QB slid 5 yards short of the 1st but they leveled him. This was against a 5-7 team (same as Washington State).

People on here like to talk about "on the field" vs "on paper" in this argument, but I feel that they are using it incorrectly. On paper FSU is a 13-0, but on the field they are no longer that team. Florida has a terrible defense this season and FSU made them look like 2022 Georgia. Then they passed for less than 60 yards vs Louisville.

Cardale Jones came in and took Wisconsin behind the woodshed, FSU's backups came in and looked like they were trying to cheer up Jurkovec by somehow playing worse.
I didn't say they weren't close. My comment was the other two (Wash & Bama) played games that were a lot closer, a hell of a lot closer. In Alabama's case took a miracle 4 and goal from the 31. And they can't even blame it on backup QBs.

Where in their guidelines does it say undefeated? It says that teams of a similar record will be judged on a number of criteria. Similar, not exact.

I agree that no where does it say to take injuries into consideration and I personally would have voted in FSU. But also, if I had to bet a year's salary on a match-up between Alabama and FSU with a backup QB then I'd be putting my money on Bama 10 times out of 10.
FSU has the 3 ranked strength of record
They’ve been ranked #4 for 3 weeks post injury because they kept winning.

FSU has the 3 ranked strength of record
They’ve been ranked #4 for 3 weeks post injury because they kept winning.
That's one ranking being cherry picked. ESPN also has them at #11 in their FPI ranking

They are #6 in the Massey Composite (in fact there are just as many indexes that have them ranked outside the top 10 as inside the top 4)

That's one ranking being cherry picked. ESPN also has them at #11 in their FPI ranking

They are #6 in the Massey Composite (in fact there are just as many indexes that have them ranked outside the top 10 as inside the top 4)
The CFP ranking is what matters
They won by 10 and dropped a spot
Texas jumps up beating in ranked TT team
It was always fixed because it was subjective entirely - not objective at all
I mean why is Washington safely at 2?
FSU actually outgained Michigan with their starter in the championship games -
Why was Michigan a clear 1?

The committee didn’t have the guts to leave the SEC out .

Reactions: PITT 76
The CFP ranking is what matters
They won by 10 and dropped a spot
Texas jumps up beating in ranked TT team
It was always fixed because it was subjective entirely - not objective at all
I mean why is Washington safely at 2?
FSU actually outgained Michigan with their starter in the championship games -
Why was Michigan a clear 1?

The committee didn’t have the guts to leave the SEC out .
From their own voting policies.

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

Championships won
Strength of schedule
Head‐to‐head competition (if it occurred)
Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

Guess which team consistently has the worst Strength of Schedule across every ranking system that I can find?
ESPN, Guru, Team Rankings, Sagarin, Massey. Every single one.

way to dodge that totally legally binding hypothetical so as to not answer the question. Their mandate is to choose the 4 best teams. In all of the arguments, I haven't seen a single one saying that they actually think FSU is better.
I have an issue with their mandate being to choose the 4 best teams, but that's a separate issue.

In terms of 4 best teams, and this is just my personal opinion, but I think FSU is better than Michigan, even if FSU has to play Rodemaker at QB.

"It was gut-wrenching," that committee member told CBS Sports under the condition of anonymity. "For me, individually, I evaluated [whether they could] make it through and win a national championship with the team they had."

That person concluded the Seminoles could not win the national title without injured starting quarterback Jordan Travis. The potential ability for a team to win a national championship is not part of the CFP's selection protocol.

That might be the most revelatory statement made since this controversy erupted Sunday afternoon when the four-team bracket was announced. For the first time, the committee left an undefeated Power Five conference champion out of the Football Four.

Earlier Monday, ESPN quoted a committee member making a similar assertion regarding Florida State:

"We didn't think they could [win a national championship]," that person said.

From their own voting policies.

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

Championships won
Strength of schedule
Head‐to‐head competition (if it occurred)
Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

Guess which team consistently has the worst Strength of Schedule across every ranking system that I can find?
ESPN, Guru, Team Rankings, Sagarin, Massey. Every single one.
Then why did they REMAIN # 4 for three weeks AFTER the injury ?

Answer that basic question
They only dropped to 5 after WINNING the ACCCG by 10 over #15

Mic dropped

If all these case against FSU is true - why were they ranked #4 for so long ?

Then why did they REMAIN # 4 for three weeks AFTER the injury ?

Answer that basic question
They only dropped to 5 after WINNING the ACCCG by 10 over #15
That's easy. It's because the playoff committee was kicking the can down the road in the hope that this situation wouldn't play out the way it has.

That's easy. It's because the playoff committee was kicking the can down the road in the hope that this situation wouldn't play out the way it has.
So we both agree the whole thing is a sham .
Its ice skating

Perfectly stated!!

Perfectly stated? A team playing a 3rd string QB for a couple games in the middle of the season 50 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with asking a terrible backup QB to go try and score a point vs Michigan.

And why couldn't Alabama be given a shot on the field? They matched FSU's best win by beating LSU. They have the UGa win which FSU cant come close to matching. Bama also has the L but to a CFP team but to me, the win over UGa cancels that out. The 2 teams are so so close with their resumes, so for me it comes down to "best." Bama would be favored by 14 over Travis-less FSU so have to go with "best."

Rather than using 13 people sequestered at a resort, I'd prefer just using the coaches' poll.

Perfectly stated? A team playing a 3rd string QB for a couple games in the middle of the season 50 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with asking a terrible backup QB to go try and score a point vs Michigan.

And why couldn't Alabama be given a shot on the field? They matched FSU's best win by beating LSU. They have the UGa win which FSU cant come close to matching. Bama also has the L but to a CFP team but to me, the win over UGa cancels that out. The 2 teams are so so close with their resumes, so for me it comes down to "best." Bama would be favored by 14 over Travis-less FSU so have to go with "best."
Yo…it took a freakin PRAYER against a team that lost to one of the New Mexico’s the week prior. FSU went into the swamp with a backup and won. Bama had to squeeze past one of the directional Florida teams. And FSUs defense is still good!

After many years I’ve listened to people bash you. And I’ve kind of ignored it. But if you’re gonna bash me about 1976 you know what you are as big an idiot as everybody else says you are.

Yo…it took a freakin PRAYER against a team that lost to one of the New Mexico’s the week prior. FSU went into the swamp with a backup and won. Bama had to squeeze past one of the directional Florida teams. And FSUs defense is still good!
No no no
They are peaking is the espn network
Their close wins with all their starters shows character
Same for Michigan , their 2 game schedule , and their coach suspended for cheating

FSU beating a #15 ranked team by double digits with defense-
Shows they aren’t good enough - they had to drop

I totally agree. I've said it before and I'm sure other disagree, but I think FSU is very good even with Rodemaker. They have a lot of talent all over the field. I think they could beat Michigan. The strength of Michigan certainly isn't the QB, just like FSU without Travis.

To be frank, I am skeptical any Big 10 team can win a national championship, so if that's the criteria, then the Big 10 needs to be excluded. I know Ohio State won it all in 2014. But that's the only national championship won by the Big 10 in the lifetimes of many of the kids that are currently in college and playing college football.

After many years I’ve listened to people bash you. And I’ve kind of ignored it. But if you’re gonna bash me about 1976 you know what you are as big an idiot as everybody else says you are.

I didn't know that about 1976 but your point was irrelevant because we won those games and then the starter returned. If Travis returned healthy and they beat Louisville, they 100% are in and should be in.

I get all that. The resumes for 12-1 Bama vs 13-0 FSU are very close. Bama has the 1 loss but also played a tougher schedule. Generally, I do agree that you put in a 13-0 P5 team over a 12-1 one regardless of the schedule. But its close. And Travis being out tips the scale to Bama, I'm sorry. Its not like Bama is some slouch. Yea they had some close games. So did FSU....with Travis. Every team does.

Related
How is Travis Jordan so impotent enough to exclude FSU, but not a Heisman finalist ?

Related
How is Travis Jordan so impotent enough to exclude FSU, but not a Heisman finalist ?

Because he plays the most important position in all of team sports and is a Top 10 college QB. Perhaps more importantly, he didn't look good in his 12-25 performance vs a bad Florida team and people thought he could get them a point vs Michigan? This isn't a Cardale Jones situation. Or even a Nick Patti situation. FSU needs to recruit better QB's.

Also, you cant miss your final 3 games and be a Heisman finalist.

Because he plays the most important position in all of team sports and is a Top 10 college QB. Perhaps more importantly, he didn't look good in his 12-25 performance vs a bad Florida team and people thought he could get them a point vs Michigan? This isn't a Cardale Jones situation. Or even a Nick Patti situation. FSU needs to recruit better QB's.

Also, you cant miss your final 3 games and be a Heisman finalist.
What does that have to do with Jordan Travis not being a Heisman finalist ?
Read , comprehend , then post .
Try it out

FSU has been in the top 4 almost all year .
They win without Travis but drop out

Clearly Jordan Travis is among the 4 most important players in CFP for the Heisman , right ?

Committee members saying that they didn't think FL ST could win the whole thing should set off alarm bells in everyone's heads. Since when, do we anoint winners based upon who we think would win. Every single week of the season, teams win who the experts did not think would win.

It doesn't just come down to who the 4 best QBs are, or even offenses for that matter.

The truth is that FL ST has a great defense. With even an average QB, it is possible that they could win the whole thing. Just for comparison, the FL ST defense held LSU to fewer points than the ALA defense., 24 vs 28. Who's to say that their defense isn't good enough to stop any of those 4 teams in the playoff.!

If Georgia wins the SEC championship, FL ST would be in. No doubt in my mind. The rankings prior to the final week tell me that the committee believes that too.

Alabama wins the SEC, and the committee has a dilemma. Put in Bama without Texas, and they have to justify the head-to-head loss to Texas.

They don't want to leave the SEC out, so we end up with the present 4-team configuration.

I'm not a big FL ST fan, so I have no horse in this race other than the ACC was screwed.

I hear lots of people saying the SEC is the greatest and they deserve to be represented. I say that the SEC is not necessarily the best conference every year -- most years yes, but not every year.

In fact, the ACC was 6-4 vs the SEC this year.

Results on the field should be tantamount, not the opinion of 13 secluded voters. Not to be a conspiracy nut, but it makes one wonder if the committee had any communications with the TV people before making their decision.

I don't know,, but I do know one thing: something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT