ADVERTISEMENT

THIS IS A TOURNAMENT TEAM!

I think for Pitt it is as simple as beat WF on Thursday. If it's not WF we need to beat UNC on Friday.

That must also explain why Pomeroy has them ranked 57 spots better than mighty NCSU as well. Because he’s a Spartans fan.
The same NC St team that only lost to NC by 9 @ NC. Please stop with this crap. Pitt is one of the hottest teams in the NCAA with a great road record. The NCAA tournament has always been a flawed system. This should come to no one as a surprise. They want to take most of the big fan bases that are the only game in town. $$$$$ Teams, H2P

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You’re wrong. Having over 300 teams to change what they’ve been doing for 80 years takes time. It’s not a matter of wanting to or not. The selection committee just recently overhauled the way it’s done its business in relation to 80 years of doing it one way. It takes time for this big of an organization to change its ways.

This doesn't make any sense. Those teams used to play games like that every year. The change happened 15 or 20 years ago when teams stopped playing them.

And the selection committee has literally absolutely nothing at all to do with who or how schools schedule games. The notion that Pitt can't play a non-conference game in February because the selection committee prevents them from doing so is laughable.

This doesn't make any sense. Those teams used to play games like that every year. The change happened 15 or 20 years ago when teams stopped playing them.

And the selection committee has literally absolutely nothing at all to do with who or how schools schedule games. The notion that Pitt can't play a non-conference game in February because the selection committee prevents them from doing so is laughable.
Nobody is saying anybody is preventing them. It goes back way more than 20 years. More like 30-35.

How is Wisconsin a 6 seed? 2 and 11 since February 1.
15? years ago they announced and then NET more recently confirmed the committee has no recency bias. You could lose 10 in a row and get in if you won your first 20. I don't like it, and it's clearly incongruous with college football, but that's the line.

Having the 344th non-conference SOS is pretty indefensible when it comes to Pitt’s resume. That’s the one metric that we have heard committee chairs mention year after year when asked about why certain teams got in. Here’s hoping they focus on current form, road wins and some of the efficiency stats.

Does it make any sense at all that EARNING a double bye and finishing 4th in a power conference standings, is a negative because you need more "Quad wins"? I mean back in the normal times, EARNING a double bye in a major college league tournament would have been looked at as a positive and earned a team extra credit.

Having the 344th non-conference SOS is pretty indefensible when it comes to Pitt’s resume. That’s the one metric that we have heard committee chairs mention year after year when asked about why certain teams got in. Here’s hoping they focus on current form, road wins and some of the efficiency stats.
Isn’t that already taken into account in the NET formula? Should a team be penalized twice for this? How about overall SOS which is about the same as UVA?

It goes back way more than 20 years. More like 30-35.

From 35 to 14 years ago, meaning ending in 2010 when we played Robert Morris in February, we played six January non-conference games and six February non-conference games. So 12 times in 21 years. In the last 14 seasons we have not played any of them.

So more like 14 years ago, not 30-35.

From 35 to 14 years ago, meaning ending in 2010 when we played Robert Morris in February, we played six January non-conference games and six February non-conference games. So 12 times in 21 years. In the last 14 seasons we have not played any of them.

So more like 14 years ago, not 30-35.
Lack of Non-Conference games after January 1 is a function of having too many Conference games--20 is too many.

The Big 10 has gotten 17 bids the last 2 years and won 15 tournament games (15-17). The ACC has gotten 10 bids and won 21 games (21-10). Pre-determining conference strengths in November and December means little in March and yet the committee never seems to learn,
And the Mountain West is projected to get six bids. Except for San Diego State, since 2019 the conference is 0-11 in the tournament.

How is that determined, explain in detail player by player, how Michigan State's players are better than Pitt's USE FACTS.
I said MSU's players--the overall roster--are better than NCSU's players. I said that MSU is a better team than NCSU. And I said Tom Izzo is a better coach than Kevin Keatts. Pitt never entered that discussion at any time.

Ken Pom's analytics should provide you or anyone else with enough FACTS and data to support that conclusion.

Ken Pom's analytics should provide you or anyone else with enough FACTS and data to support that conclusion.
I went and looked at the Ken Pom rankings, there's a lot of inconsistency there, a disconnect that doesn't necessarily make me believe that you are a better team or have better talent just because you're ranked higher there.

And the Mountain West is projected to get six bids. Except for San Diego State, since 2019 the conference is 0-11 in the tournament.
SDST is their only team with a top 30 schedule this year. I think they remain legit.

But for example two years ago, not only did the MWC get four teams in the tournament, but all four of them lost their first round match up to a lower seed.

It is a remarkably overrated conference with a worse overall record than the ACC and a weaker SoS. How they'd get six teams when the ACC may be lucky to get four makes no sense.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT