ADVERTISEMENT

THIS IS A TOURNAMENT TEAM!

Clemson made the semifinals had a high NET and was hurt by 2 other ACC teams getting in (Pitt and NC State) that didn’t get the double bye. If Pitt makes the semifinals and Clemson beats UVa, then ACC would only have 3 bids sans Pitt.

I worry we are last years Clemson.
Hopefully we take care of business on Thursday and it doesn't matter.

I find it hard to believe that the selection committee is as stupid as lunardi, who somehow jumped Memphis over us yesterday for no reason and still had Utah ahead of us after a bad loss.

The bubble watch writer at ESPN had a comment about us that I thought was accurate: the "bracketologists" get invested in their selections and don't move teams up and down as much as they should. The selection committee has no such bias and should make the right decision based on our metrics and results.

Not there yet. Our defense is sporadic and needs some work. You don't win without consistent defense. If we can shore that up, we'll get closer to a tournament team.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Should already be in. Eff these projections.

And except for an insane effort by NC State hitting late shots, these many of these wins lately have been ass kickings.

3rd best team in the conference and beat the 2nd best in their gym.

Ill wait for the bracket to come out...

But,

There is a whole host of problems with this entire Q1 and Q2 system and the NCAA.

I mean it was real nice of the NCAA to not clear Efton Reid early in the season and Wake gets a bunch of early season losses in the non conference schedule then decided to clear Reid later on and Wake becomes a lot better with him in ACC Conference play. Wake Forest would not lose to Utah right now for example with Reid. They did the same thing with other players making transfers and not letting them play right away.

And,

There seems to be a complete lack of common sense that is going on too.

Utah is my biggest gripe. I dont care how many Q1 and Q2 wins they have, they have 13 losses and finished in 6th place in a shitty Pac-12. And they completely collapsed down the stretch of the season. And their road record is garbage. They had a losing record in the Pac-12 and they are getting in the NCAA Tournament because of Q1 and Q2? Common, where is the common sense here.

My 2nd biggest gripe is Villanova. They are going to have 15 losses. Never in the history of the NCAA Tournament can I recall any team getting a bid with that many losses. 14 losses is still really pushing it and there are not many of those either. An 18-15 team has no business being the NCAA Tournament. And I dont care if they had the hardest schedule in the country. Overall Wins and losses matter. And 15 losses says you are mediocre and overrated.

My 3rd biggest gripe is the mountain west. Does anyone seriously think this league would beat the ACC head to head? I sure as hell dont. Lets have Utah State come on down to UNC or Dukes gym and see what happens.

The bubble watch writer at ESPN had a comment about us that I thought was accurate: the "bracketologists" get invested in their selections and don't move teams up and down as much as they should. The selection committee has no such bias and should make the right decision based on our metrics and results.

Sometime early in the week, maybe Monday, more likely Tuesday, Loonardi is going to say something along the lines of "I went over the bracket completely from scratch today and I made some changes to where some teams are ordered." He already did it once. At least. And he's going to do it again. Because that's the only way that he ever even comes close to getting it right.

And when he does that, we are going to magically jump up several spots.

GTFOH with that shit. Our defense is fine. Dude was unconscious from three after we were up 17.

I saw too many easy points in close by NCState where we showed no resistance defensively. Giving up 73 points to NCState is just too many, in spite of Taylor hitting those 3's. Our defense needs improvement if we want to advance beyond the first round of the NCAAT. That's my point.

What kills me is after January it is all perception of conference that makes the difference. If a conference is considered "good" they get more bids because of course, their wins/losses in conference are skewed based on the pre-determined "perception".

It's not like you have any OOC games after December so that makes all the difference. For whatever reason the media does not love the ACC and hasn't for the last few years. So then the ACC with their lower bids have to prove it once again in the NCAAT against all the odds.

We outscored them 40-28 in the paint.

That was more about us emphasizing scoring in the paint than preventing them from scoring there. That 28 in the paint was just too easy for them, the insane 3's aside.

That's just what I saw at the game. But I'm a perfectionist when it comes to playing defense and rebounding. Stats don't always show everything.

What kills me is after January it is all perception of conference that makes the difference. If a conference is considered "good" they get more bids because of course, their wins/losses in conference are skewed based on the pre-determined "perception".

It's not like you have any OOC games after December so that makes all the difference. For whatever reason the media does not love the ACC and hasn't for the last few years. So then the ACC with their lower bids have to prove it once again in the NCAAT against all the odds.

I agree. At the same time, I guess I get it: Nov and Dec is really all they have to go by for conference perception, like you alluded to. Seems like a flawed system to me. They need to play OOC games throughout the season; it's a no-brainer solution.

But there are just too many teams in the ACC that don't seem to provide the quality of win that moves the needle much. We could beat teams like NC State and Florida State a thousand times and it doesn't seem to impress any of these bracketologists. There are just too many of these underwhelming teams in our conference. We'd probably be better off being 18-13 with two or three more quality wins in one of these other conferences.

ACC has let us down. Time to become bedfellows with FSU and break the grant of rights!

Of course there is also a part of me that secretly wonders if the guys like Lunardi are right, because we're 3-8 against teams that deserve to be either in the tournament or remotely involved in the bubble discussion. And one of those 3 wins was against a team down two guys in its starting five.

I saw too many easy points in close by NCState where we showed no resistance defensively. Giving up 73 points to NCState is just too many, in spite of Taylor hitting those 3's. Our defense needs improvement if we want to advance beyond the first round of the NCAAT. That's my point.
Dude, stop being such a yinzer

This is a flawed team. So are almost all of them.

I want to see them get their shot to go on a run. They've earned it.

I agree. At the same time, I guess I get it: Nov and Dec is really all they have to go by for conference perception, like you alluded to. Seems like a flawed system to me. They need to play OOC games throughout the season; it's a no-brainer solution.

But there are just too many teams in the ACC that don't seem to provide the quality of win that moves the needle much. We could beat teams like NC State and Florida State a thousand times and it doesn't seem to impress any of these bracketologists. There are just too many of these underwhelming teams in our conference. We'd probably be better off being 18-13 with two or three more quality wins in one of these other conferences.

ACC has let us down. Time to become bedfellows with FSU and break the grant of rights!

Of course there is also a part of me that secretly wonders if the guys like Lunardi are right, because we're 3-8 against teams that deserve to be either in the tournament or remotely involved in the bubble discussion. And one of those 3 wins was against a team down two guys in its starting five.
I hear you but how is Michigan ST so much better than say, NCSU? It's all perception and self fufilling prophecy. There is this determination that teams from a conference are considered superior so losses are viewed positively vs. another conference that is not based on anything after January.

Of course there is also a part of me that secretly wonders if the guys like Lunardi are right, because we're 3-8 against teams that deserve to be either in the tournament or remotely involved in the bubble discussion
Again playing devils advocate, how does one quantify "deserve"?

I hear you but how is Michigan ST so much better than say, NCSU? It's all perception and self fufilling prophecy. There is this determination that teams from a conference are considered superior so losses are viewed positively vs. another conference that is not based on anything after January.

Again playing devils advocate, how does one quantify "deserve"?

There is so much scourge in our conference. Louisville, BC, Notre Dame, GT, FSU and Miami even... beating them means very little, but every now and then they'll give a contending team a damning loss. We definitely need to work on bolstering the bottom of the ACC. The performance of all the teams works together in unison, because they all play each other eventually.

There is so much scourge in our conference. Louisville, BC, Notre Dame, GT, FSU and Miami even... beating them means very little, but every now and then they'll give a contending team a damning loss. We definitely need to work on bolstering the bottom of the ACC. The performance of all the teams works together in unison, because they all play each other eventually.
The Big 10 has gotten 17 bids the last 2 years and won 15 tournament games (15-17). The ACC has gotten 10 bids and won 21 games (21-10). Pre-determining conference strengths in November and December means little in March and yet the committee never seems to learn,

The Big 10 has gotten 17 bids the last 2 years and won 15 tournament games (15-17). The ACC has gotten 10 bids and won 21 games (21-10). Pre-determining conference strengths in November and December means little in March and yet the committee never seems to learn,

Don't disagree, but what else can ya do?

I think they need to change the schedule structure at some point.

Don't disagree, but what else can ya do?

I think they need to change the schedule structure at some point.
I've always railed against the football metrics because of the same kind of preseason rankings that really aren't based on anything but perception.

But I've always felt the NC basketball run was earned given the amount of regular season games and of course the NCAAT, which gives every team a chance.

But lately (and maybe because PITT seems to be on the wrong side), it feels like this sport has become unfairly slanted towards popular perception.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to fix it, but at some point as @SteelBowl70 demonstrated, when does reality trump perception?

Why would UVA be in and not Pitt? We beat them at there place and KenPom has them ranked #67 vs Pitt #45.
UVA probably has a better overall resume. They finished a game up on Pitt in league play, and were a little better in OOC, with wins over TAMU & Florida. (losses to Memphis and Wisconsin)

Hard to say either team deserves a bid.

• Haha
UVA probably has a better overall resume. They finished a game up on Pitt in league play, and were a little better in OOC, with wins over TAMU & Florida. (losses to Memphis and Wisconsin)

Hard to say either team deserves a bid.
And what has most of the bubble done to deserve a bid? If you were as critical of other teams as you are of Pitt, there'd be like 40 teams in March madness

And what has most of the bubble done to deserve a bid? If you were as critical of other teams as you are of Pitt, there'd be like 40 teams in March madness
I don't know. I don't follow them as closely.

I just know that I've seem enough of UVA, Pitt, Clemson, and Wake Forest this year. That's clearly the 2nd tier of the ACC. There's probably 1 or 2 bids for teams in that group. But if there isn't... oh well.

Watch enough ACC Basketball this year and your eyes will start to bleed.

• Haha
I've always railed against the football metrics because of the same kind of preseason rankings that really aren't based on anything but perception.

But I've always felt the NC basketball run was earned given the amount of regular season games and of course the NCAAT, which gives every team a chance.

But lately (and maybe because PITT seems to be on the wrong side), it feels like this sport has become unfairly slanted towards popular perception.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to fix it, but at some point as @SteelBowl70 demonstrated, when does reality trump perception?

I don't know that it's just human perception, though. A lot of it is formulaic and computer-driven.

Only fair thing to do, in my opinion, is to spread non-conference play out over the season.

Had a team from the ACC or Big 10 or Big 12 ever had a 12-8 conference record and been left out of the tournament ?

I don't know. I don't follow them as closely.

I just know that I've seem enough of UVA, Pitt, Clemson, and Wake Forest this year. That's clearly the 2nd tier of the ACC. There's probably 1 or 2 bids for teams in that group. But if there isn't... oh well.

Watch enough ACC Basketball this year and your eyes will start to bleed.
So you don't really know where Pitt stands on the bubble.

And if you think the ACC is only getting 2 teams in, you should actually watch some basketball instead of just assuming Pitt and all those other teams suck

Last edited:
I hate that being 11-3 over the past 1.5 months of ACC, seems to not count as much when compared to the Mizzou and Cuse losses. Not our fault a bunch of P5 teams in the OOD aren’t as good as we thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT