ADVERTISEMENT

Those against expansion outed

At this point, is SMU a package deal with Cal/Stanford or could those two come in on their own?
I think they'd only come as a package. Who knows? I'll believe none of this until I see it actually happen.

*Edit: Sorry, I reread this.....I mean I think Stanford and Cal are a package, not necessarily SMU. I don't think SMU is necessarily involved. There's been talk of trying to split Cal from Stanford but I don't think that is possible. Who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
I would think ESPN would at least bump the payment for extra travel I they come but no new contract. They most likely are selling themselves as a package at this point.

I would think ESPN would at least bump the payment for extra travel I they come but no new contract. They most likely are selling themselves as a package at this point.
Reports say that ESPN is not in the best financial shape Disney is looking for a partner to take some of the burden.
Disney wants to keep live sports but can’t afford to go it alone.
This narrative that ESPN will just pay more because……. There is NO BECAUSE, BECAUSE THERE IS NO MONEY!

Reports say that ESPN is not in the best financial shape Disney is looking for a partner to take some of the burden.
Disney wants to keep live sports but can’t afford to go it alone.
This narrative that ESPN will just pay more because……. There is NO BECAUSE.
So who would buy ESPN?

You think UNC is turning down a B10 or SEC offer?

Well, that depends on what the offer is. If it's for a 1/2 share payout like Oregon and Wash got, then yes they're going to turn down the offer. Nobody is fighting the GOR and paying exit fees for a 1/2 share.

SMU, the Kings of College Sports
They would’ve been a great addition around the time we joined the ACC. Look at what TCU was able to, going from the Mountain West to the national championship game in 12 years. Unfortunately, all they’ll be good for is the DFW market and getting the existing schools a slight financial boost (not a bad thing).

Well, that depends on what the offer is. If it's for a 1/2 share payout like Oregon and Wash got, then yes they're going to turn down the offer. Nobody is fighting the GOR and paying exit fees for a 1/2 share.

If UNC or any ACC team is offered a $0 share until 2030 when the new B10 contract starts, they will accept that. You dont turn down a P2 under any circumstances

If UNC or any ACC team is offered a $0 share until 2030 when the new B10 contract starts, they will accept that. You dont turn down a P2 under any circumstances
I would turn it down. Mainly because I don't believe the money will be any better in 2030. I believe we have hit the apex of spending on sports programming. The PAC12's lack of an offer is the canary in the coal mine. I still think there will be big money contracts. But at most they will be a fractional COL increase at most in the next round. More likely the offers will be less than the big deals that SEC and B10 just signed. Mainly because all the cord cutting is really hurting the bottom line and there is no way people will keep cable and still pay all the streaming monthly fees in addition to it.

I would turn it down. Mainly because I don't believe the money will be any better in 2030. I believe we have hit the apex of spending on sports programming. The PAC12's lack of an offer is the canary in the coal mine. I still think there will be big money contracts. But at most they will be a fractional COL increase at most in the next round. More likely the offers will be less than the big deals that SEC and B10 just signed. Mainly because all the cord cutting is really hurting the bottom line and there is no way people will keep cable and still pay all the streaming monthly fees in addition to it.
I don't think the PAC-12's offer is a canary in the coal mine, they're an outlier compared to the other P5 conferences, mainly due to their location and the population/fan interest in 8 of the 12 states their schools are located, plus the only California school that draws fan interest from local non-alumni is USC and that's only when they're winning.

At this point, is SMU a package deal with Cal/Stanford or could those two come in on their own?
Sorry, I had just reread this. Didn't read it correctly the first time. I don't think SMU is a package with Stanford/Cal. I think Stanford and Cal are probably a package although there has been talk about trying to split Cal from Stanford and just take Stanford. Who knows at this point though. There some new legs in the rumor circuit, but we should probably know soon because they can't keep Stanford and co waiting forever. There is supposedly a meeting scheduled for today. May be the definitive vote. I have no idea if that is true.

Here's the latest tweet (take with grain of salt even though it is a legit journalist):

Sorry, I had just reread this. Didn't read it correctly the first time. I don't think SMU is a package with Stanford/Cal. I think Stanford and Cal are probably a package although there has been talk about trying to split Cal from Stanford and just take Stanford. Who knows at this point though. There some new legs in the rumor circuit, but we should probably know soon because they can't keep Stanford and co waiting forever. There is supposedly a meeting scheduled for today. May be the definitive vote. I have no idea if that is true.

Here's the latest tweet (take with grain of salt even though it is a legit journalist):
No worries, appreciate the explanation. I’ve read from a few of the west coast writers (Wilner, Scheer) that they’ll be some clarification today on what’s going to happen with Cal/Stanford and the ACC, so you may be on the right path there. After the past few weeks of news dropping nearly ever hour, the last couple days have been boring… we need more action! :oops:

The ACC is 2 separate conferences. Whenever the haves are ready to move away from the have nots, just blow it up as soon as possible. Just look at XII and then the PAC.

The biggest mistake would be for the ACC to go get two non-red state football programs like Stanford and California. They’d be much better served going and getting SMU and Memphis. It’s all about numbers at this point if you’re the ACC. It’s a dead man walking conference. Just like the XII was when OUT decided to leave.

Here’s my biggest complaint with these schools looking to leave. Why do FSU, UNC, Clemson, Miami, VT, NCSU, Louisville, GT and UVA have to try and screw the other 5? Just vote FOR expansion and give them an opportunity to rebuild the conference when they decide to leave. It’s one of my biggest beefs with conference consolidation.

If a school knows it’s eventually going to leave for greener pastures, why screw those schools that did nothing to you and might get left behind.

Last edited:

The Apple TV comment being in that tweet is interesting. Messi is making Apple TV a mint. With the Apple/Cal/Stanford relationship being in the Bay Area, I wonder if ESPN would sell a package of games, being Cal/Stanford heavy to Apple TV. Remember, ESPN gets those CW games back in a few years so it has more than enough content. In theory, lets say Apple TV pays ESPN enough to be able to increase the per share payout $5 million or so. Just spitballing a number.

So lets say the SEC offers Pitt a $0 share until 2030 then a full share thereafter. Pitt turns that down and stays in an ACC, which is going to lose its top programs eventually?

Yes, it's a hard no thanks, because they aren't going to risk $500 - $700 million in lost revenue and conference buyouts hoping they might get it back by 2050.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT