ADVERTISEMENT

Ticket office

Why would they be telling people this?

I hope that the QB decision gets sorted out soon. I'm sure a lot of people are basing their decision on KP playing or not.

Reactions: Chaos
Pickett's indecision is directly affecting the school's revenue for this bowl game. I get fans not wanting to dish out money to watch our backup play and likely go from a 3 point favorite to a 10 point dog. If Kenny doesnt play I guarantee there will be other Panthers that back out as well. But its just an exhibition so who cares, right?!?!?

I'm guessing cancelling orders are due to being able to get better seats for cheaper on secondary sites. I was going to order from the Pitt ticket office to help with allotment but not at the cost of spending hundreds more. IJS.

Reactions: Parkview57
I also thought ticket requests were non-refundable, as plainly state on their website and order forms. If I was Pitt, I would stick all these assholes with the charge of their original order.

Cancelling orders because Pickett may not play is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.

My lord, regardless of any decision, you go to watch Pitt play, one one particular player.

"Lots" of Pitt fans want a billion dollar program but are a ten cent fan base.

And a NY 6 bowl is never meaningless.

I don't know; I kind of get it. If someone didn't want to travel to Atlanta to watch the Steelers play the Falcons because Ben was out (when he was actually a good player), no one would bat an eyelid. But for some reason we're supposed to treat Pitt like we have a son on the team and we bear an obligation to show familial support.

This is a big-money operation, and these tickets aren't free. If some of the players aren't going to take the game seriously, why should the fans be expected to? Both are within their rights. I'm fine with freedom of choice letting things sort themselves out, which is exactly what we have.

I also thought ticket requests were non-refundable, as plainly state on their website and order forms. If I was Pitt, I would stick all these assholes with the charge of their original order.

Yeah, that's what Pitt needs to do. Piss off some of the few fans they actually have.

Reactions: bladerunner1204
I don't know; I kind of get it. If someone didn't want to travel to Atlanta to watch the Steelers play the Falcons because Ben was out (when he was actually a good player), no one would bat an eyelid. But for some reason we're supposed to treat Pitt like we have a son on the team and we bear an obligation to show familial support.

This is a big-money operation, and these tickets aren't free. If some of the players aren't going to take the game seriously, why should the fans be expected to? Both are within their rights. I'm fine with freedom of choice letting things sort themselves out, which is exactly what we have.
Yeah, I don't give a flip about what Steeler fans do. Whether fans travel to regular season Steeler away games don't impact that organization one iota. It is a completely different scenario.

This is a major problem with the dumbness of the Pitt fan base in that "lots" of them really don't understand college athletics at all.

Cancelling orders because Pickett may not play is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.

My lord, regardless of any decision, you go to watch Pitt play, one one particular player.

Agree. You go to the bowl to support the team and, equally, have a good time with other Pitt fans. I still think this could be a good game, even if Patti plays.

Yeah, I don't give a flip about what Steeler fans do. Whether fans travel to regular season Steeler away games don't impact that organization one iota. It is a completely different scenario.

This is a major problem with the dumbness of the Pitt fan base in that "lots" of them really don't understand college athletics at all.

The bowl games being tiered with the "number of win" rules the ACC has in place kind of prevents situations where we deserve to go to the Gator Bowl but get sent to the Military Bowl instead, so attendance at this game shouldn't be as big of an issue as it once might have been. And if the bowls are trending toward being meaningless anyway, it becomes even less of an issue.

I'm not suggesting anyone should boycott the game out of spite or anything like that, and I'm rooting for a nice turnout. I just don't think it matters quite as much as it used to.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
I really don't give a hoot whether the bowls themselves are happy with the turnout. If this is true that people are canceling their bowl tickets due to Kenny maybe not playing, we get whatever bowls we deserve. While I agree that bowl games are glorified exhibition games to a degree, I was looking at the Peach Bowl as an opportunity to celebrate the season by sending the team out with one more large show of support. This team was more than Kenny and Whipple. I hope Kenny plays, but if it was my son, I would have to have him seriously consider all options. I was hoping the Peach Bowl would be one big party for Pitt and win or lose, we would all have a great time with this year's team.

My thoughts exactly. I’ve been a Pitt fan since 1979 when I was 12 years old. There isn’t one player who has been with the team for that length of time….yet I still watch/go to games.

Would I like Kenny to play?…absolutely. But I’m still going to go and cheer for Pitt regardless.

H2P

I do not agree. I would not go if Kenny does not play. I do not blame anyone who bought tickets to watch Pitt play which includes Kenny. It will not be fun going if Kenny not playing.

I do not agree. I would not go if Kenny does not play. I do not blame anyone who bought tickets to watch Pitt play which includes Kenny. It will not be fun going if Kenny not playing.
Great fan.
So since Kenny is finished with his career at Pitt this year, does that mean you’re not a fan of Pitt football anymore? Are younot going to go to/watch any games next year since Kenny won’t be playing?

The bowl games being tiered with the "number of win" rules the ACC has in place kind of prevents situations where we deserve to go to the Gator Bowl but get sent to the Military Bowl instead, so attendance at this game shouldn't be as big of an issue as it once might have been. And if the bowls are trending toward being meaningless anyway, it becomes even less of an issue.

I'm not suggesting anyone should boycott the game out of spite or anything like that, and I'm rooting for a nice turnout. I just don't think it matters quite as much as it used to.
If you win championships, it matters less because those slots are more rigid, but if you don't, it still matters. The Big East had a wins rule too.

Traveling reputation has burned Pitt multiple times. It also hurts Pitt financially to swollow the cost of tickets. Generally though, it just plays into the continued perception of Pitt being a second class program. As much progress as it seemed like we made in the ACC Championship game (and that was nice, normal, but not big boy turnout), failing to follow that up in the Peach after a once in 40 year season will wipe that right out.

This X1000. Again, when our fans wonder why Pitt can't recruit, can't hire the best coaches, etc, etc, we can go back to this year.

We had Pitt going for a division championship, ready to clinch, and had only like 40K show up to the UVA game. Even the UNC game, I thought there'd be more. Don't get me wrong, the fans that were there were amazing and pumped, and the students ahve been there the entire time, even the last few years.

The turnout at the ACC Championship game was amazing, but if that's what it takes, to be a favorite for a conference title for you to show up, then we are in trouble. ANd now we have a NY6 bowl game, which will be played in front of the nation, and because our QB may not play, we are dumping on the team.

It's going to be embarassing. And these same people are going to sit there and wonder "derp, why can't Pitt have continued success". Because the college game is completely different than the pros. And we just have too many people that don't get it. And just keep trying to hit a square peg into a round hole trying to figure out why we can't get to the "next level". Because we need the fans, the alumns, the support, the donations, on a consistent and considerable basis if you want to keep up with your peers. Too bad we don't have fans that understand that.

If you win championships, it matters less because those slots are more rigid, but if you don't, it still matters. The Big East had a wins rule too.

Traveling reputation has burned Pitt multiple times. It also hurts Pitt financially to swollow the cost of tickets. Generally though, it just plays into the continued perception of Pitt being a second class program. As much progress as it seemed like we made in the ACC Championship game (and that was nice, normal, but not big boy turnout), failing to follow that up in the Peach after a once in 40 year season will wipe that right out.
I'd pump the brakes a little with the outrage unless you have a secondary source. I find it hard to believe that the Pitt ticket office just freely offered that information up.

I'd pump the brakes a little with the outrage unless you have a secondary source. I find it hard to believe that the Pitt ticket office just freely offered that information up.
Point taken. Assumed the op is legit. It all depends who you get on the phone. For different events, I've gotten similar types of candid information from people in the office from time to time.

My outrage is completely dependent on it actually being true that "lots of people have cancelled their ticket orders" in the wake of Whip/Pickett stuff.

Point taken. It all depends who you get on the phone. For different events, I've gotten other information that is similar.

My outrage is completely dependent on it actually being true that "lots of people have cancelled their ticket orders" in the wake of Whip/Pickett stuff.
We heard gloom and doom before the ACC Championship, too. Nobody will know anything about what is available until next week.

If this was a game an hour or 2 from home and tickets were the same price as home season tickets, then its more understandable to be upset at fans for other fans not going. While there are some people on this board that have unlimited resources, I will point out the price of the ticket to these bowl games are expensive (not to mention the expense of travel as well). The club seats are 310 each while the cheapest are 125. Factoring in some travel driving plus hotel plus food is around 600 at least for a couple (flying even more). I think they make the tickets to some of these bowl games way to expensive btw.

Just like it's Pickett right to decide whether he plays or not, people should back off of people not attending the game for financial reasons. If Pickett doesn't play it will not be the same Panther's team that played all year and people have to financially factor that in.

I knew there was a chance players might opt out - happens every year now which is unfortunate. And this is an expensive trip for me.

But I love this school, I love this team and I've waited a helluva long time to celebrate something like this season. My kids are grown and can't make it, but my wife and I are heading down to celebrate the incredible success of these players and coaches, and I plan to enjoy the heck out of my two days regardless of who ends up playing.

All I need now is for Pitt to tell me I got my tickets.

I know it's easy to say when I'm not shelling out any money, but I for one will be as interested in the game , for different reasons of course, if KP does not play.

Pitt should have instructed Kenny to answer those questions as "yes I'm playing" until a few days before the game. Pitt PR has handled this very poorly. They need to sell tickets. The answer should have been an unequivocal "yes" until closer to the game.

However, I dont quite understand canceling your trip due to Kenny not playing. Pitt is capable of winning without him.

Last edited:
"I'm prepared to shell out over $1000 for a trip to Atlanta to watch the Beach Bowl."

Kenny might not play.

"I'm no longer going."

-Said nobody ever

If that's all it took for you not to go you were never going. As others mentioned the OP is a troll.

Reactions: Pittguy93
Pitt fans are lame.
Pitt fans are rational.

Everyone has spent the past two days screaming that the Peach Bowl is a "meaningless exhibition" that doesn't matter at all. That the season is "over".

And your asking people to drop $3k to travel to see a meaningless game to watch the backup qb?

How is it any more than a glorified spring game at this point?

You can't have it both ways. Either the game is meaningful and Pickett absolutely should play or it is meaningless and therefore ridiculous to expect fans to spend thousands of dollars to go.

Would anyone spend thousands to go watch the last NFL preseason game with Mason Rudolph at quarterback? This is the same thing.

I said yesterday that Pickett's decision impacts the Peach bowl's and ESPN's bottom line, and it will impact Pitt's reputation as a traveling fan base because many will not go.

Pitt fans are acting like normal, rational fans would be expected to act. Without Pickett playing, Pitt will absolutely not sell out its allotment.

i don't know if the OP is a troll or not or whatever, but i totally believe someone from the pitt ticket office would make an offhand comment like this on the phone. have you ever dealt with the Pitt ticket office?? total amateur show

Reactions: panther.fan
Pitt fans are rational.

Everyone has spent the past two days screaming that the Peach Bowl is a "meaningless exhibition" that doesn't matter at all. That the season is "over".

And your asking people to drop $3k to travel to see a meaningless game to watch the backup qb?

How is it any more than a glorified spring game at this point?

You can't have it both ways. Either the game is meaningful and Pickett absolutely should play or it is meaningless and therefore ridiculous to expect fans to spend thousands of dollars to go.

Would anyone spend thousands to go watch the last NFL preseason game with Mason Rudolph at quarterback? This is the same thing.

I said yesterday that Pickett's decision impacts the Peach bowl's and ESPN's bottom line, and it will impact Pitt's reputation as a traveling fan base because many will not go.

Pitt fans are acting like normal, rational fans would be expected to act. Without Pickett playing, Pitt will absolutely not sell out its allotment.
I agree totally. Going to Atlanta and staying in Atlanta isn't cheap. If it's not important enough for the players on the team, I can understand why some people think it's not important enough to spend the $$.

I'll be there, but you can't call it a meaningless exhibition and expect everyone to be pumped to attend.

I'm staying a pretty nice hotel on the MARTA line for $125 per night. It's not the OMNI for $400 per night, but is clean and modern, I've stayed here before. And driving to the game for about $170 in gas roundtrip. Atlanta can be an affordable trip, though my game tickets cost more than the gas/hotel/meals combined.

Reactions: Parkview57
I'm staying a pretty nice hotel on the MARTA line for $125 per night. It's not the OMNI for $400 per night, but is clean and modern, I've stayed here before. And driving to the game for about $170 in gas roundtrip. Atlanta can be an affordable trip, though my game tickets cost more than the gas/hotel/meals combined.
you can't expect people to drive 11 hours. Most are flying

It's not a meaningless game. That is complete BS. These bowls, especially major bowls, are springboards to the following season and reputations of football programs. Like or not, college football is still largely about perception. Pitt's perception as a program is not good outside the bubble of our fanbase. This is a chance to make a statement in a prime time slot with no other competition for a football audience.

All these years of "if only Pitt got a good bowl on a good date in the east coast" is apparently just BS.

Not a single player has yet to come out and declare they aren't playing in it. If Pitt's players and fans treat it as meaningless, and Pitt drops this game and its fan base looks weak, it will only reinforce Pitt's place among the mediocrity of college football and that this season will be dismissed a flash in the pan due to a down year in a weak conference. This is a game where Pitt can make a statement in front of more than a weak 1.5 rating share. Like it or not, the national perception of the legitimacy of this season does largely hinge on this game.

Not a single player has yet to come out and declare they aren't playing in it.
The most important player is giving off strong vibes that he will opt out. Let's hope he plays.... but Pitt fans are not wrong to wait until a definitive statement from Pickett.

Reactions: FireballZ
you can't expect people to drive 11 hours. Most are flying
11 hours is not that bad to drive.
I am driving.
Rather around 300 to 400 dollars a person round-trip.
And 3 people going

The OP might be trolling but when I ordered my tix I asked it I could order more than how many season tix I have and the ticket office lady so it is absolutely not going to be a problem.

Pitt fans are lame.
Pitt has the best WR in the country, two excellent RBs, and a defense that shut down one of the best offenses in college football for the final three quarters of a conference championship game. They have a nice bowl game in a great city. Any Pitt fan who cancels a trip just because Pickett might not be playing truly is lame.

The OP might be trolling but when I ordered my tix I asked it I could order more than how many season tix I have and the ticket office lady so it is absolutely not going to be a problem.
There's never been that restriction on bowl tickets. Pitt has a LOT to sell for any of these bowls. There may have been such a restriction on Big East/ACC basketball tournament tix.

Reactions: ratking17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT