ADVERTISEMENT

Tomlin Extended 3 Years

FWIW, I do think Colbert was the Angel Hernandez of NFL GMs toward the end. But I'd need to know just how much influence he had on personnel decisions vs Tomlin vs whomever else. I can at least try to make myself think he hamstrung this franchise with this awful drafts at the end.

But I'd need to know just how much influence he had on personnel decisions vs Tomlin
I am basically a Tomlin guy, but one has to believe that after all those years as HC Tomlin had veto power over everything by the end of Colbert, I think personnel eval is one of Tomlin's weaknesses.

But I'm not sure why.
Rainman Rooney is autistic, lives in the past, the most important things to him, more important than winning are bullsh!t like appearance of loyalty, being forever committed to a run first offense, winning with defense first, and above all for listening to TV announcers mention, "you know the Steelers have had only 3 head coaches in the last 2000 years", and to always be able to say, he did it this way because that's what dad and grandad did and it's our way and we can never change, END OF CONVERSATION!

FWIW, I do think Colbert was the Angel Hernandez of NFL GMs toward the end. But I'd need to know just how much influence he had on personnel decisions vs Tomlin vs whomever else. I can at least try to make myself think he hamstrung this franchise with this awful drafts at the end.
Who's Angel Hernandez?

I am basically a Tomlin guy, but one has to believe that after all those years as HC Tomlin had veto power over everything by the end of Colbert, I think personnel eval is one of Tomlin's weaknesses.
I would also have a difficult time believing Tomlin didn't/doesn't have a pretty big say in personnel decisions. But this franchise is so ass backwards that you just never know.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Nah, but I think the problem with having a defensive coach in today's NFL is that points are just at such a premium that you're not going to be able to keep any OC worth his weight in salt for longer than a season or two. Guys who can figure out how to put points on the board are getting snatched up and paid (in the form of being made head coaches), while anybody can figure out how to play conservative, bend-but-don't-break defense... which is what most teams are doing.

The Tomlin/Cowher type of HC feels a little obsolete nowadays.

I don't know about that. I'd say he had a significant say but Colbert was the #2 guy in the building behind Rooney. Colbert had been there longer, he was the head of the scouting department for two decades, was the first person the Steelers ever gave the title of GM, and he even got a title bump from just the GM to Steelers VP and GM a few years before he retired. I don't think there's any way Tomlin got the final word over Colbert on anything, but I also don't think Colbert would have thought it was a good pick if he was forcing the player on a coach that definitely didn't want him.

Reactions: 303vND
No, I disagree, the real problem is having a defensive HC , with all the resources an historic franchise has to offer, who can't assemble a great OC and offensive staff. It really doesn't seem that hard given the Steelers position in the football world..

Like I said, you can't keep a good OC very long now. Those guys are in high demand and getting HC positions.

I would also have a difficult time believing Tomlin didn't/doesn't have a pretty big say in personnel decisions. But this franchise is so ass backwards that you just never know.
Well
Compare the last two drafts under Omar and the last 5 or so under Colbert .
And tell me what’s actually changed ?

Not a surprise. He'll be here as long as he wants to be here, baring a complete collapse. The talk in the KP threads about ultimatums from Rooney and his job being on the line were dubious.

Reactions: 303vND
Most of us would agree.
I think the answer is , who would the Steelers get that was any better ?
You don't worry about that - if you need to move on then you move on. You don't stay in an abusive relationship because you feel you can't find better. I tell people all the time - no matter how accomplished you are, how sexy you are or how beautiful you are - there is someone out there who's tired of your chit. I'm going to let you be the next man's problem. Did anyone know any of these coaches before they became coaches....I never heard of Mike
Tomlin until he interviewed. Bill Cowher as well.

Last edited:
I don't know why the Steelers are stuck on him. I know the players do like him, but, that shouldn't count for a whole hell of alot. The national media just gush about him and his unique way of expressing himself. Here is the thing, a coach with his tenure should have a wide ranging coaching tree that was developed under his tutelage. All the great coaches do, but, not Tomlin.
I like stability, but, one does not deserve to leave under his own terms when he is not producing. He claims the standard is the standard. Well apparently the standard here is a 9-8 or 10-7 season culminating in missed playoffs or having someone else help us get in on the last day of the season, only to get beat up in a 1st round playoff game. This is a once proud franchise that has gotten soft. I think Tomlin feels the heat a bit, thus, explaining some of the offseason moves. Hopefully, if Tomlin doesn't get this team competing for anything close to an AFC title by 2027, he will take the burden off the Rooney's and leave on his own. I'm almost 60, I want to play for a few more superbowls before I cash in my chips.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Here’s the way I see it:

Tomlin underperformed in the 2010s (we should’ve won at least one Super Bowl from 2014-2018), but he’s over-performed since then:

2019: Lost Big Ben for season (almost made playoffs)
2020: About how they should’ve finished (made playoffs)
2021: Big Ben on last legs + terrible offensive line (still made playoffs)
2022: Poor QB play + subpar team overall (almost made playoffs)
2023: Poor QB play + average team overall (still made playoffs)

Khan and Weidl have done an excellent job of rebuilding this team. Tomlin certainly hasn’t been without his faults the past five seasons (i.e., Canada), but I think he did a good job with the hand he was dealt and I think Mr. Rooney understood this. For that reason, I think the extension was justified.

I don't know why the Steelers are stuck on him. I know the players do like him, but, that shouldn't count for a whole hell of alot. The national media just gush about him and his unique way of expressing himself. Here is the thing, a coach with his tenure should have a wide ranging coaching tree that was developed under his tutelage. All the great coaches do, but, not Tomlin.
I like stability, but, one does not deserve to leave under his own terms when he is not producing. He claims the standard is the standard. Well apparently the standard here is a 9-8 or 10-7 season culminating in missed playoffs or having someone else help us get in on the last day of the season, only to get beat up in a 1st round playoff game. This is a once proud franchise that has gotten soft. I think Tomlin feels the heat a bit, thus, explaining some of the offseason moves. Hopefully, if Tomlin doesn't get this team competing for anything close to an AFC title by 2027, he will take the burden off the Rooney's and leave on his own. I'm almost 60, I want to play for a few more superbowls before I cash in my chips.
Fear of the unknown is why Art II gave Tomlin the extension, same reason his father gave Cowher an extension after a 6-10 season and kept Noll around those last few years.

With how he misevaluated Mason Rudolph and his inability to hire good coordinators I’ve got to think we will get the same underachieving results. I’d love to be proven wrong but the Canada saga with the non qb competition with put Mason at 3rd string shined the light on his weaknesses that he has only doubled down on

With how he misevaluated Mason Rudolph and his inability to hire good coordinators I’ve got to think we will get the same underachieving results. I’d love to be proven wrong but the Canada saga with the non qb competition with put Mason at 3rd string shined the light on his weaknesses that he has only doubled down on
Misevaluated ?
The guy who was a free agent and got zero interest the first time so he resigned - and then signed to be a backup in Tennessee on a 1 year deal ?!?
You’re delusional

Nah, but I think the problem with having a defensive coach in today's NFL is that points are just at such a premium that you're not going to be able to keep any OC worth his weight in salt for longer than a season or two. Guys who can figure out how to put points on the board are getting snatched up and paid (in the form of being made head coaches), while anybody can figure out how to play conservative, bend-but-don't-break defense... which is what most teams are doing.

The Tomlin/Cowher type of HC feels a little obsolete nowadays.
The only way to succeed as a defensive head coach is to hire a genius OC, preferably from the Shanahan tree, or have Tom Brady as your QB. Tomlin is incapable of doing either.

Tomlin will fail here again because he doesn't understand that the game has changed. Quality coaches scheme their players open. Tomlin hires guys who ignore offensive players' strengths and weaknesses and say "this is what we do, now go do it."

Seriously, look at their OCs the last 5 years:

- Matt Canada (never an NFL OC, no NFL experience outside of the Steelers, 7 years P5 OC)
- Randy Fichtner (never an NFL OC, no NFL experience outside of the Steelers, never a P5 OC)

These guys had no business being NFL OCs. They will never be NFL OCs again. But Tomlin hired them (and extended Canada). Total malpractice.

Tomlin is the worst kind of leader: smart enough to get the big chair but too stupid to know when he needs help. I expect more failure and for him to retire in two years.

Khan and Weidl have done an excellent job of rebuilding this team. Tomlin certainly hasn’t been without his faults the past five seasons (i.e., Canada), but I think he did a good job with the hand he was dealt and I think Mr. Rooney understood this. For that reason, I think the extension was justified.
Kind of fixed it for you. "They made a lot of splashy, high-risk moves that we really don't know will work but Tomlin really screws things up badly while managing to not embarrass himself with the hand he dealt himself so, why not keep him because maybe this time he'll get it right."

Here’s the way I see it:

Tomlin underperformed in the 2010s (we should’ve won at least one Super Bowl from 2014-2018), but he’s over-performed since then:

2019: Lost Big Ben for season (almost made playoffs)
2020: About how they should’ve finished (made playoffs)
2021: Big Ben on last legs + terrible offensive line (still made playoffs)
2022: Poor QB play + subpar team overall (almost made playoffs)
2023: Poor QB play + average team overall (still made playoffs)

I think it's a bit weak to basically excuse the HC for 5 straight years of failure.

But anyway, even assuming that you can let Tomlin off the hook for things like poor team talent (isn't it the coach's job to make the team better?), then you have to set the bar pretty high this year. The OL has been rebuilt with stud 1st round OTs, a 2nd round C, and big time free agent OGs. Tomlin got a veteran, Super Bowl winner at QB.

No more excuses. A playoff win or Tomlin must go. That's the only fair standard for 2024.

Reactions: Dan1911
The only way to succeed as a defensive head coach is to hire a genius OC, preferably from the Shanahan tree, or have Tom Brady as your QB. Tomlin is incapable of doing either.

Tomlin will fail here again because he doesn't understand that the game has changed. Quality coaches scheme their players open. Tomlin hires guys who ignore offensive players' strengths and weaknesses and say "this is what we do, now go do it."

Seriously, look at their OCs the last 5 years:

- Matt Canada (never an NFL OC, no NFL experience outside of the Steelers, 7 years P5 OC)
- Randy Fichtner (never an NFL OC, no NFL experience outside of the Steelers, never a P5 OC)

These guys had no business being NFL OCs. They will never be NFL OCs again. But Tomlin hired them (and extended Canada). Total malpractice.

Tomlin is the worst kind of leader: smart enough to get the big chair but too stupid to know when he needs help. I expect more failure and for him to retire in two years.
How much of a budget is Tomlin getting for assistant coaches? Genius OC's don't come cheap while the likes of Canada do, this is something that's on the person writing the checks and that's not Tomlin.

How much of a budget is Tomlin getting for assistant coaches? Genius OC's don't come cheap while the likes of Canada do, this is something that's on the person writing the checks and that's not Tomlin.
I hear this rebuttal all the time and I don't buy it.

Tomlin has been here for 15 years. He's a legend. If he needed more money for coaches, he could get it.

Second, Tomlin makes at least $12.5 million per year. He's top 5 in the NFL. The Steelers have no problem paying him. If he had a resource problem, he could take a minor pay cut and afford any number of coaches. Matt LaFleur, Zac Taylor, and Mike McCarthy are all good coaches and all make $5 million or less per year. If Rooney told Tomlin "we only have $15 million for coaches" and then Tomlin takes more than 80% of that for himself, then that's a problem of his own making.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT