ADVERTISEMENT

Tomlin Extended 3 Years

It's almost like winning a championship means more in other places because the rest of the league seems to recognize that Belichick just isn't going to engineer a championship without a GOAT QB. Tomlin is struggling to win playoff games but the Steelers are going to play it safe because they can control the media narrative and most of the fan base wants to cling to the "never had a losing season" nonsense.

It's well understood that Mike McCarthy almost got fired and is coaching on borrowed time in Dallas.

His last three seasons:

12-5
12-5
12-5

His last nine full seasons with the Packers, before getting the axe:

11-5
10-6
15-1
11-5
8-7-1
12-4
10-6
10-6
7-9

This blows Tomlin out of the water as of late. But I guess everything would be different if he could have just gotten to 8-8 in that 7-9 season!

Just insane. These franchises are supposed to be about winning championships, not maintaining some stupid streak of getting at least a C on your test.

You had me till that last sentence. I do not have a poll to look at as evidence so this is entirely anecdotal. From what I hear when speaking to people is most fans are sick of hearing about that.

It is almost like they want to get a losing season just so they do not need to hear about it anymore. I come across only a few people who hold onto the no losing season mantra with pride.
I don't hear a collective outcry about the contract so that's what I'm basing my opinion on. I don't think a losing season moves the needle much at this point because there will just be a need to assign blame somewhere and move on.

Reactions: Mikefln
Just insane. These franchises are supposed to be about winning championships, not maintaining some stupid streak of getting at least a C on your test.
I made this statement a while back and I'm starting to believe it more and more. The Steelers looked across the parking lot and decided Pittsburgh fans don't really need a winner that badly because there is a cult-like motivation in the fan base that really doesn't push ownership to make any changes. Much easier to stay in the comfort zone with Tomlin and not worry too much over the performance of the product.

Reactions: 303vND
I made this statement a while back and I'm starting to believe it more and more. The Steelers looked across the parking lot and decided Pittsburgh fans don't really need a winner that badly because there is a cult-like motivation in the fan base that really doesn't push ownership to make any changes. Much easier to stay in the comfort zone with Tomlin and not worry too much over the performance of the product.
God I hope that is not true. I would rather it be incompetency, cause at least then there is hope they might figure it out.

...Pittsburgh fans don't really need a winner that badly because there is a cult-like motivation in the fan base that really doesn't push ownership to make any changes.
There is a cult like following, people that masturbate over the mythology and kneel to pray to the image of the Old Chief and want to bite your head off if you criticize anything they do.

It's such a dumb stat. I could just as easily say, "He's had three non-winning seasons and it would have been four if not for the addition of the 17th game!" Who cares?

Like I said, most coaches walk into messes. It's the reason there was a change in the first place. So a winning - sorry, non-losing - season in the first year or two is basically out of the question.

Bengals fans got sick of Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis for going 10-6, 11-5, 10-5-1, and 12-4 and flaming out in the playoffs. But here are Tomlin's last six years, which include no playoff wins:

9-6
8-8
12-4 (weird Covid season)
9-7
9-8
10-7

Like, it that good? Would the Cowboys retain a coach who did that? Would the Packers? Seriously, tell me what teams would retain a coach who did that. I need to know. There aren't many. They'd look at that and say, "Gee, that's great and all, but we're kind of looking to get to that next level."

Tomlin is resting on the laurels of 15 years ago, meanwhile New England just pushed out a dude who won six of them and got there nine times. It's beyond bananas.
Marvin Lewis hadn’t won’t a playoff game in his entire 13-year career with Cincinnati after that 12-4 season. He had like a 25% win ratio against his team’s biggest rival.

The Cowboys are you standard for organizational decision making? They haven’t made a Super Bowl in 29 years.

Green Bay has had back-to-back 1st Ballot QBs with a combined 7 League MVP awards and they’ve been to 1 Super Bowl in the last quarter century.

Marvin Lewis hadn’t won’t a playoff game in his entire 13-year career with Cincinnati after that 12-4 season. He had like a 25% win ratio against his team’s biggest rival.

The Cowboys are you standard for organizational decision making? They haven’t made a Super Bowl in 29 years.

Green Bay has had back-to-back 1st Ballot QBs with a combined 7 League MVP awards and they’ve been to 1 Super Bowl in the last quarter century.

The Steelers' last playoff win was 2016. It's going to be AT LEAST 2025 before they get another shot. So 13 seasons without a playoff win is completely unjustifiable, but 9 or 10... well, no big deal!

Wait, so now we are using making the Super Bowl as a baromoter of success? Interesting, because Mike Tomlin has been nowhere near the damn thing in a long time.

In both the Cowboys' and Packers' cases, it's like coaches get more criticism for winning 12, 13, 14, or 15 games and not making the Super Bowl than they do for consistently only winning 8, 9, or 10 games and getting completely outclassed in the wildcard round. Absolutely bonkers logic. It was cool when he put together a respectable season with Duck Hodges and Mason Rudolph. For whatever reason, he liked that formula so much he's been using it ever since. Well, it's gotten stale with a lot of us.

It's well understood that Mike McCarthy almost got fired and is coaching on borrowed time in Dallas.

His last three seasons:

12-5
12-5
12-5

His last nine full seasons with the Packers, before getting the axe:

11-5
10-6
15-1
11-5
8-7-1
12-4
10-6
10-6
7-9

This blows Tomlin out of the water as of late. But I guess everything would be different if he could have just gotten to 8-8 in that 7-9 season!

What has Dallas accomplished , though ?
No losing seasons and 3 playoff wins in 12 years and 0 playoff wins in 7 years DUMBASS,
he’s going in
Accept that Jorts

The angry old white man tears are delicious
I hope Tomlin gets a lifetime contract just so you can cry over it

The Steelers' last playoff win was 2016. It's going to be AT LEAST 2025 before they get another shot. So 13 seasons without a playoff win is completely unjustifiable, but 9 or 10... well, no big deal!

Wait, so now we are using making the Super Bowl as a baromoter of success? Interesting, because Mike Tomlin has been nowhere near the damn thing in a long time.

In both the Cowboys' and Packers' cases, it's like coaches get more criticism for winning 12, 13, 14, or 15 games and not making the Super Bowl than they do for consistently only winning 8, 9, or 10 games and getting completely outclassed in the wildcard round. Absolutely bonkers logic. It was cool when he put together a respectable season with Duck Hodges and Mason Rudolph. For whatever reason, he liked that formula so much he's been using it ever since. Well, it's gotten stale with a lot of us.
Like I said above
Compare Tomlin’s career to Don Shula’s
And you’’ll Start finally understanding.

What has Dallas accomplished , though ?

he’s going in
Accept that Jorts

The angry old white man tears are delicious
I hope Tomlin gets a lifetime contract just so you can cry over it

I would say Dallas hasn't accomplished much, but I keep getting told how much all this regular season success matters. And they've had a lot more of it than us.

Like I said above
Compare Tomlin’s career to Don Shula’s
And you’’ll Start finally understanding.

Now let's compare taking over a 3-10-1 roster vs taking over a roster that was 8-8 but only due to a Super Bowl hangover.

It's nuts, but I feel like playing in five Super Bowls is also more than playing in two. Particularly when he did it with four different quarterbacks.

Also, winning two kind of feels like a 100% improvement over winning one.

And then there was that only undefeated team ever thing, but ah... who cares?

So the only worthwhile comparison I'm really seeing is that both teams held onto these guys way too long and neither accomplished anything significant in a long time toward the end. Is that what I'm supposed to be looking for? Because we can agree on that point.

i was going to bring this up. so going 9-8 is great for tomlin but winning 12, 13 games and not making the super bowl is an indictment for other coaches..

sounds like someone is playing both sides of the card here. got to pick a lane..

Now let's compare taking over a 3-10-1 roster vs taking over a roster that was 8-8 but only due to a Super Bowl hangover.

It's nuts, but I feel like playing in five Super Bowls is also more than playing in two. Particularly when he did it with four different quarterbacks.

Also, winning two kind of feels like a 100% improvement over winning one.

And then there was that only undefeated team ever thing, but ah... who cares?

So the only worthwhile comparison I'm really seeing is that both teams held onto these guys way too long and neither accomplished anything significant in a long time toward the end. Is that what I'm supposed to be looking for? Because we can agree on that point.
Plus Shula's coaching tree includes Howard Schnellenberger and Chuck Noll along with others. Who is a part of Tomlin's tree again?

Shula's teams were consistently among the least penalized in the NFL. Tomlin can't say that.

From Wikipedia but confirmed as a true statement: "Shula has the distinction of having coached five different quarterbacks to Super Bowl appearances: Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall in 1968, Bob Griese in 1971, 1972, and 1973, David Woodley in 1982, and Dan Marino in 1984"

Not seeing the comparison between the two.

Plus Shula's coaching tree includes Howard Schnellenberger and Chuck Noll along with others. Who is a part of Tomlin's tree again?

Shula's teams were consistently among the least penalized in the NFL. Tomlin can't say that.

From Wikipedia but confirmed as a true statement: "Shula has the distinction of having coached five different quarterbacks to Super Bowl appearances: Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall in 1968, Bob Griese in 1971, 1972, and 1973, David Woodley in 1982, and Dan Marino in 1984"

Not seeing the comparison between the two.
tomlins coaching tree is a telephone pole.

Reactions: Mikefln
Aside from the longest steak without a playoff win in the Super Bowl era, embarrassingly bad performances over the last several playoff games in points allowed, only winning a playoff game in 4 of 17 years as the head coach, there just aren't many head coaches who would survive botching a first-round QB as bad as Tomlin did with Pickett.

If McCarthy even makes another SB- he may have a HOF case , too

Lol, so Tomlin losing in that second SB is what really puts him distinctively above McCarthy? Because they're literally separated by a few games when you look at overall body of work.

How is Tomlin (2 Super Bowls) more like Shula (5 Super Bowls) than McCarthy (1 Super Bowl... a win over Tomlin) is like Tomlin? That makes no sense at all.

Lol, so Tomlin losing in that second SB is what really puts him distinctively above McCarthy? Because they're literally separated by a few games when you look at overall body of work.

How is Tomlin (2 Super Bowls) more like Shula (5 Super Bowls) than McCarthy (1 Super Bowl... a win over Tomlin) is like Tomlin? That makes no sense at all.
Yes
Getting to the Super Bowl and winning is the only real goal
Nobody cares about winning a playoff game or not if it doesn’t end up in the Super Bowl

Just like March madness -
If you don’t make the final 4 , it really doesn’t matter where you lose

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Yes
Getting to the Super Bowl and winning is the only real goal
Nobody cares about winning a playoff game or not if it doesn’t end up in the Super Bowl

Just like March madness -
If you don’t make the final 4 , it really doesn’t matter where you lose

Then Tomlin has been a failure for over a dozen years - many of those with a HOF QB - and should no longer be the coach here.

He was handed the keys to a Ferrari and only ever got it up to 80 mph. But hey... sometimes you're just going to run into speed bumps:

128763072.jpg

images

Since Don Shula was mentioned, the Dolphins have gone 0-4 in the playoffs since the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin. The Dolphins have employed eight different head coaches in those years.

Isn’t that true for Cowher ,too
One chose LeBeau to be on his staff, the other had LeBeau forced on him. Also, one had significant input in bringing a HOF QB to town, the other benefited from that for the majority of his career. When given a chance to bring the next Franchise QB to town, he couldn't have handled it any worse.

Have a nice night.

One chose LeBeau to be on his staff, the other had LeBeau forced on him. Also, one had significant input in bringing a HOF QB to town, the other benefited from that for the majority of his career. When given a chance to bring the next Franchise QB to town, he couldn't have handled it any worse.

Have a nice night.
This year is probably Tomlin's best staff since he had LeBeau, Haley, and Munchak.

Then Tomlin has been a failure for over a dozen years - many of those with a HOF QB - and should no longer be the coach here.

He was handed the keys to a Ferrari and only ever got it up to 80 mph. But hey... sometimes you're just going to run into speed bumps:

128763072.jpg

images
"Nobody cares about winning a playoff game or not if it doesn’t end up in the Super Bowl"

You can't end up in a Super Bowl when you keep losing these kinds of playoff games. Good coaches don't lose those kinds of games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT