ADVERTISEMENT

Unc joins call for unequal revenue

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
Reactions: Drew1208

Joins fsu and Clemson ads. Telling you. Fsu, Clemson, unc and Miami have choices in the future and will be gone eventually.
Keep digging for more articles. Eventually you’ll find one where Wake Forest is calling for unequal distribution too….

Joins fsu and Clemson ads. Telling you. Fsu, Clemson, unc and Miami have choices in the future and will be gone eventually.
Yep. You've gleefully told us about 1,500 times now.

Reactions: pittmeister

You know why they’re complaining? Because they have no where else to go. What makes anyone think that they’re invited to join the Big Ten or SEC?

Wake forest won't want it.

Dude, I get suspicious when I see the same poster constantly banging the drum of doom & gloom. It usually indicates an agenda… A red flag also goes up when I see someone who has 13,338 posts and only 4,245 Reaction score. That indicates your posts are negative and not very popular….. Hmmmm… Might have to put you on ignore….

Yep. You've gleefully told us about 1,500 times now.

Just iritated. Pitt has what I feel like is a perfect home, but a few schools and a couple suits at networks are about to tear apart the collegiate model, ruin every sport, and leave a lot of long term successful schools in the dust to get rich off the "brands" of like 25 schools.

Dude, I get suspicious when I see the same poster constantly banging the drum of doom & gloom. It usually indicates an agenda… A red flag also goes up when I see someone who has 13,338 posts and only 4,245 Reaction score. That indicates your posts are negative and not very popular….. Hmmmm… Might have to put you on ignore….
Good for you. Go ahead.

Go now, then. The big boys need fodder to line the bottom of their conference. Couldn't give two effs less.

UNC will never leave ACC. Basketball is king there and any other conference they are not the pampered squad as they are now.

My only question is, how long until Ohio State and Michigan start banging their drums about unequal revenue? This is probably the reason for Northwestern committe to such an epensive stadium. Then they can sue if the revenue model changes.

Did someone throw pantherlair in a time machine?

I swear this is the same conversation I read over 20 years ago about teams leaving the BE for the ACC..?

So what’s next after these teams leave? I mean because they’ll outgrow the SEC too… in 20 years.

The Big 10 conference will eventually be 6 super duper football programs and 10 that don’t matter. Just give it some time. All of the schools will be athletically rich but most will never sniff a championship.

In 2000 Purdue went to the Rose Bowl. They beat Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin that season and ended up Big 10 Champs. My son was a sophomore that year at Purdue and so his Christmas gift from me was a ticket to the Rose Bowl. Thanks Dad he said as I was explaining to him that his school had a magical year with a Heisman Candidate at QB and that it probably wouldn’t happen again for 50 years. That’s what’s going to happen to that conference when USC gets going. And at some point they will look at Indiana and Minnesota and Rutgers and ask them to give up some of their money share because they don’t matter

They are all obviously gone but this isnt any Earth-shattering news. There will be a Power 2 and those teams will be in one of them. The question is when and how much money they can make before that? Listen, I have come to grips with the fact that the ACC in its current form is done. But not until close to 2036. Make them test the GOR in court. Texas and OU had to play 2 lame duck years because they didnt want to test it and had to work out a behind the scenes deal with Fox since their games would be going to ESPN and that was for just one season.

caddyshack-judge.gif

I’d be curious as to how they’d determine who receives larger distributions. I’d imagine they aren’t thinking of a school like Pitt when they say this even though we’d deserve a larger share as much as any other school in the conference.

I would assume that every team in every conference shares their conferences profits/losses equally. I mean, if that isn't the case why join a conference? This is why, if I'm the ACC I tell Notre Dame to join full time, in all possible sports. If they disagree, their gone.

Reactions: 303vND
I would assume that every team in every conference shares their conferences profits/losses equally. I mean, if that isn't the case why join a conference? This is why, if I'm the ACC I tell Notre Dame to join full time, in all possible sports. If they disagree, their gone.

Too late.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I’d be curious as to how they’d determine who receives larger distributions. I’d imagine they aren’t thinking of a school like Pitt when they say this even though we’d deserve a larger share as much as any other school in the conference.

Yeah if you look at expenditures and facilities, we’d have to be in the upper half at least. That’s what the UNC AD mentions. But I don’t think that is what these schools are really talking about.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Probably by football/basketball budgets. If Team A spends $100 million on football/basketball and Team B spends $50 million, they should get 50% of the ACC payout that Team A gets.

Really?! I’m shocked they have choices…

Love it! Exactly how l feel. Those schools that are gone can whine all they want. Typical of this day and age. Everything is about them and want what is best for them Without thinking about the other side of the coin.

What are going to do to earn unequal revenue. We aren’t going to just make things better for you until you leave. Do we have Stupid written across our heads?

They could probably come up with something tied to tv ratings. That’s what the fsu guy was trumpeting even though a lot of his info wasn’t totally accurate. Or the bowl revenue. Neither would be a huge bump.

They will be gone in half a second if able.
YOu don’t understand the alumni. Basketball is KING and if they become second class citizens in a conference they will never leave. They will sit on their alumni porches and talk about the new money that has ruined their southern gentility.

My only question is, how long until Ohio State and Michigan start banging their drums about unequal revenue? This is probably the reason for Northwestern committe to such an epensive stadium. Then they can sue if the revenue model changes.
Already happening. Articles are out there suggesting that Oregon and UW are quite willing to come in at less than full shares, already. When the PAC info comes out regarding their media deal (or lack thereof) it will set the bar for how low they will need to go.

Instead of all of this in/out, equal/ unequal revenue sharing, etc

Just need someone to step up and combine all major P5 conferences into one. Have one commissioner, set scheduled for each team similar to NFL.

Outline a clear playoff format.

Take it from there

time to give programs a cut of their "unit" revenue for hoops in the ncaa tournament and give football programs a cut of the revenue if they make it to the playoffs..

each "unit" or tournament game an ACC team is in is worth 275K (or more), give that team a 1/3rd of that and the rest gets evenly distributed.. this isnt that hard here folks, teams that arent making the tournament for 6 years shouldnt be getting the same as programs that make it every year and win a few times. And yes, i realize pitt falls into that category.

do the same for programs that make the playoffs. zero reason that clemson gets in the playoffs every year and that money gets evenly distributed to other teams who arent even close to being respectable...

Last edited:

What choices do they have? They don't control jack chit - let alone their own destiny.

Just iritated. Pitt has what I feel like is a perfect home, but a few schools and a couple suits at networks are about to tear apart the collegiate model, ruin every sport, and leave a lot of long term successful schools in the dust to get rich off the "brands" of like 25 schools.
It will be interesting to make it all about "The brands of 25 schools", I suppose there are fans that will just follow whatever is the highest level. But on the other hand there are plenty of fans that follow JUST THEIR SCHOOL, no matter how good or bad they are, who don't give a crap about the "National Picture" will they be watching games they didn't watch under the current structure? My hope would be that the school specific fans say screw it and still just follow their schools, no matter where they are playing.

time to give programs a cut of their "unit" revenue for hoops in the ncaa tournament and give football programs a cut of the revenue if they make it to the playoffs..

each "unit" or tournament game an ACC team is in is worth 275K (or more), give that team a 1/3rd of that and the rest gets evenly distributed.. this isnt that hard here folks, teams that arent making the tournament for 6 years shouldnt be getting the same as programs that make it every year and win a few times. And yes, i realize pitt falls into that category.

do the same for programs that make the playoffs. zero reason that clemson gets in the playoffs every year and that money gets evenly distributed to other teams who arent even close to being respectable...

Agree with this if you were going to do something unequal. Unfortunately that won't satisfy a school like fsu or Miami that make stupid mistake after stupid mistake but still want more.

They may invest more but they make stupid investments.

It will be interesting to make it all about "The brands of 25 schools", I suppose there are fans that will just follow whatever is the highest level. But on the other hand there are plenty of fans that follow JUST THEIR SCHOOL, no matter how good or bad they are, who don't give a crap about the "National Picture" will they be watching games they didn't watch under the current structure? My hope would be that the school specific fans say screw it and still just follow their schools, no matter where they are playing.

Agree. Unlike the NFL where there are only 32 teams and no alternatives, college athletics, yes there are plenty of casual fans or fans that just want the top level. But there are also a lot of fans that follow their school and maybe their peers.

I follow the p5 games because those are pitts peers right now and I closley follow the acc and watch their games.

If there was ever an nfl lite type of split, and Pitt wasn't a part of it I sure as hell would t watch. I'd still follow pitt and their peer schools, but my Saturdays filled with watching all the p5/big games would be done.

Agree. Unlike the NFL where there are only 32 teams and no alternatives, college athletics, yes there are plenty of casual fans or fans that just want the top level. But there are also a lot of fans that follow their school and maybe their peers.

I follow the p5 games because those are pitts peers right now and I closley follow the acc and watch their games.

If there was ever an nfl lite type of split, and Pitt wasn't a part of it I sure as hell would t watch. I'd still follow pitt and their peer schools, but my Saturdays filled with watching all the p5/big games would be done.
Currently the only games I truly watch beginning to end every weekend are Pitt on Saturday, Steelers on Sunday. Sure I may watch other games or parts of other games, and I gravitate towards ACC which is Pitt's league, I NEVER watch SEC or B1G, I'm more likely to watch some random G5 game over Bama or Georgia, just because I'm sick of hearing about them :) so no, if Pitt's not in this Super League, it's possible that 10 years go by and I watch ZERO of that league's games the entire time, and I watch Pitt's and their league's games every week.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Agree with this if you were going to do something unequal. Unfortunately that won't satisfy a school like fsu or Miami that make stupid mistake after stupid mistake but still want more.

They may invest more but they make stupid investments.
I read back a bit and a lot of this whining is because Phillips said unbalanced revenue distribution could be considered if success was a factor. If you're UNC or FSU, that's pretty terrifying because you really haven't done crap for a while.

It's really weird that they schools could all do better somewhere else but can't move the needle very far on their own.

the acc made over 34m last year from the ncaa tournament, which will be paid out over 6 years. a huge part of this was from UNC making it to the finals, duke making the final four helped too of course..

How this is evenly distributed and not paid out to benefit the teams that actually made the money is ridiculous.. i honestly cant even believe this model exists with these conferences and hasnt been an issue before this.

the acc made over 34m last year from the ncaa tournament, which will be paid out over 6 years. a huge part of this was from UNC making it to the finals, duke making the final four helped too of course..

How this is evenly distributed and not paid out to benefit the teams that actually made the money is ridiculous.. i honestly cant even believe this model exists with these conferences and hasnt been an issue before this.

It wasn’t much of an issue before because the disparity amongst the conferences has never been this great. So nobody cared that much.

And honestly, for that same reason, it’s not really much of an issue now. Unequal revenue sharing wouldn’t get the ACC close to the SEC/B1G.

All of this unequal revenue talk exists for one of two reasons:

1. Bitching for the sake of bitching

2. Setting the groundwork for the future legal fight over the GOR.

It does not exist as a potential actual solution. Because it’s not. Hell, it’s not even enough to be one part of an actual solution.

Reactions: ThePanthers
It wasn’t much of an issue before because the disparity amongst the conferences has never been this great. So nobody cared that much.

And honestly, for that same reason, it’s not really much of an issue now. Unequal revenue sharing wouldn’t get the ACC close to the SEC/B1G.

All of this unequal revenue talk exists for one of two reasons:

1. Bitching for the sake of bitching

2. Setting the groundwork for the future legal fight over the GOR.

It does not exist as a potential actual solution. Because it’s not. Hell, it’s not even enough to be one part of an actual solution.
so then their complaints about unequal revenue distribution isnt about uneven revenue distribution but more towards the ACC not being in the same universe as the SEC and Big 10 with brand recognition, tvs, fan loyalty, etc..

so then their complaints about unequal revenue distribution isnt about uneven revenue distribution but more towards the ACC not being in the same universe as the SEC and Big 10 with brand recognition, tvs, fan loyalty, etc..

Exactly.

The rest is a smokescreen.

Somebody at ESPN I think did a breakdown of what unequal sharing, in the best case scenario, would possibly get the schools bitching for it.

And it’s an amount of money that Rutgers probably lights on fire to then lit its cigars in a given year.

BINGO! It’s all about getting ESPN and the ACC to the table and get an agreement close to what the SEC and The Big Ten are getting.

Yes, some of these schools may have options, but they know the best option is for the ACC to stay in tact. A portion of the money should be divided equal with another amount set aside for the winners of the conference. They should get more. Case closed…

Correct.

The other main issue is that soon Vanderbilt, Rutgers, etc are going to be getting $30-$40M more than FSU, Miami, UNC, Clemson in conference payouts.

They want to try to close that, but unequal revenue is not going to do that. Eventually they'll try to fight the GOR in a few years to move to one of those conferences though due to that gap.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT