ADVERTISEMENT

Unc joins call for unequal revenue

Joins fsu and Clemson ads. Telling you. Fsu, Clemson, unc and Miami have choices in the future and will be gone eventually.
I find it ironic that institutions who are beating the drum for ESG are calling for unequal distribution when it comes to their $$.

Correct.

The other main issue is that soon Vanderbilt, Rutgers, etc are going to be getting $30-$40M more than FSU, Miami, UNC, Clemson in conference payouts.

They want to try to close that, but unequal revenue is not going to do that. Eventually they'll try to fight the GOR in a few years to move to one of those conferences though due to that gap.
so every school in the big 12 and pac 10 have the same argument. every program in non P5 conferences can say that and more.

they want more money. who doesnt?

but back to equal distribution, they have a point. UNC was in 18 games in NCAA tournament over last 6 years, fsu was in 10, duke was in 15. pitt was in 1. these games are bringing in close to 300k per game. yet all the teams share the revenue evenly.

i'd be pissed too.

so every school in the big 12 and pac 10 have the same argument. every program in non P5 conferences can say that and more.

but back to equal distribution, they have a point. UNC was in 18 games in NCAA tournament over last 6 years, fsu was in 10, duke was in 15. pitt was in 1. these games are bringing in close to 300k per game. yet all the teams share the revenue evenly.

i'd be pissed too.
They agreed to the same deal Pitt and Wake Forest did. It's not like it was hard to see 5 years ago that UNC would make more NCAA tourney runs than Boston College. They are just whining to get more money. There is no substance to thus. They will leave when they can no matter how the money is split, so for now F them.

YOu don’t understand the alumni. Basketball is KING and if they become second class citizens in a conference they will never leave. They will sit on their alumni porches and talk about the new money that has ruined their southern gentility.

I understand that they will jump ship if it means an additional $30 million in revenue per year. Basketball would be fine.

Just iritated. Pitt has what I feel like is a perfect home, but a few schools and a couple suits at networks are about to tear apart the collegiate model, ruin every sport, and leave a lot of long term successful schools in the dust to get rich off the "brands" of like 25 schools.
The ACC is not the only league where this drum is beating. It's the entire P5.

On the one hand, you can understand why the high revenue schools want to receive a larger piece of the league pie. On the other hand, they all know the deal--being part of any league only works if there is relatively equal revenue sharing. It has been that way for over 100 years. Only recently has the amount of money involved threatened the continued existence of the whole system.

The P5 business model is becoming more like a law firm partnership than a collection of amateur athletic leagues. Someone is always unhappy at the end of the year because they're bringing in more than someone else but getting paid about the same.

It sure feels like this whole structure is eventually going to collapse under its own weight--the weight of greed.

So much for student-athletes and the spirit of amateur college athletics. Those concepts are as antiquated as analog communication.

Reactions: ThePanthers

i'd be pissed too.

The difference is most of the "big brand" schools have jumped to the BIG or SEC from the Big XII/Pac 12. Only really Washington and Oregon have a punchers chance in those conferences to jump in the future. So the other schools don't have much of a leg to stand on. The ACC has not lost theirs yet, so that is why you are hearing all the noise from this conference now.

A part of me hopes that Pitt ends up in a conference with like WVU, OSU, GT, Texas Tech, GT, Iowa State, BYU, Arizona, Arizona St, etc. The "best of the rest" conference because all of those schools don't add the value a FSU, Clemson, UNC, or Miami do, so you won't hear the bitching and moaning on a constant basis, but it's still a decent grouping of schools.

It's not the ACC of today, but I'd still be excited about that conference if it would come to fruition in the future.

PREDICTION: After today’s basketball game between Wake Forest and Syracuse, the losing AD will demand a bigger cut of the pie so that they can compete. If not, they will leave the conference…..

Reactions: pittdan77
I read back a bit and a lot of this whining is because Phillips said unbalanced revenue distribution could be considered if success was a factor. If you're UNC or FSU, that's pretty terrifying because you really haven't done crap for a while.

It's really weird that they schools could all do better somewhere else but can't move the needle very far on their own.

Yeah, FSU isn’t really one to whine. They had one ok season and now they want to complain about revenue. Didn’t hear them complaining too much the previous 5 years when their program stunk.

Yeah, FSU isn’t really one to whine. They had one ok season and now they want to complain about revenue. Didn’t hear them complaining too much the previous 5 years when their program stunk.

That's what they should tell FSU. We are going to figure out how much your school SHOULD be worth to the conference, and then if you bring more value than that you get more and if you bring in less value than that you'd get less.

Of course Florida State would never go for that, because as far as underachievers go in this conference they take the cake.

They agreed to the same deal Pitt and Wake Forest did. It's not like it was hard to see 5 years ago that UNC would make more NCAA tourney runs than Boston College. They are just whining to get more money. There is no substance to thus. They will leave when they can no matter how the money is split, so for now F them.
Have to agree. They will bolt the moment they can. They are lobbying for it right now, publicly. There is nothing to gain to give them a cent more until that happens.

Call it spite. But it’s financial. Remember, every dollar that Pitt and others in our boat acquiesce to give up ‘voluntarily’ to soothe the butthurt schools that believe they are so special, will hurt the non-revenue sports proportionally more. Boosters / NIL might help make up the difference for football and basketball, but not the other sports.

So those sports will suffer, Pitt will likely have to dip even deeper into the general fund to keep them afloat… yet in the end all the jock schools that stole the lunch money from the nerdy schools will still leave anyway, the moment they can. So…yeah, F them. Because they’re going to F us.

Last edited:
The difference is most of the "big brand" schools have jumped to the BIG or SEC from the Big XII/Pac 12. Only really Washington and Oregon have a punchers chance in those conferences to jump in the future. So the other schools don't have much of a leg to stand on. The ACC has not lost theirs yet, so that is why you are hearing all the noise from this conference now.

A part of me hopes that Pitt ends up in a conference with like WVU, OSU, GT, Texas Tech, GT, Iowa State, BYU, Arizona, Arizona St, etc. The "best of the rest" conference because all of those schools don't add the value a FSU, Clemson, UNC, or Miami do, so you won't hear the bitching and moaning on a constant basis, but it's still a decent grouping of schools.

It's not the ACC of today, but I'd still be excited about that conference if it would come to fruition in the future.

There is too much trash in the B12. Alt-Iowa? City schools who have been good for 5 minutes?

The ACC is going to lose FSU, Clemson, UNC, and probably Miami. If I'm Pitt, NC St, Lou, VT, etc, my goal is to add the best programs from the B12 when those schools leave:

WVU
UCF (losing both Fl schools)
OK St
TT
TCU
Baylor

Not Iowa St
Not Kansas St
Not BYU
Not Cincinnati
Unsure on Houston

Maybe USF (if they get new stadium)
Also whatever good P12 schools dont end up in the P2.

It wasn’t much of an issue before because the disparity amongst the conferences has never been this great. So nobody cared that much.

And honestly, for that same reason, it’s not really much of an issue now. Unequal revenue sharing wouldn’t get the ACC close to the SEC/B1G.

All of this unequal revenue talk exists for one of two reasons:

1. Bitching for the sake of bitching

2. Setting the groundwork for the future legal fight over the GOR.

It does not exist as a potential actual solution. Because it’s not. Hell, it’s not even enough to be one part of an actual solution.
While I don't disagree with your premise, I'm not sure how this sets any groundwork for a future legal fight against the GOR. Link to the doc below. I'm no attorney, but I've read and negotiated a lot of contracts over my working years. This doc is so tidy, simple, and straightforward. There aren't a lot of outs, and I'm not sure there's any.

There is too much trash in the B12. Alt-Iowa? City schools who have been good for 5 minutes?

The ACC is going to lose FSU, Clemson, UNC, and probably Miami. If I'm Pitt, NC St, Lou, VT, etc, my goal is to add the best programs from the B12 when those schools leave:

WVU
UCF (losing both Fl schools)
OK St
TT
TCU
Baylor

Not Iowa St
Not Kansas St
Not BYU
Not Cincinnati
Unsure on Houston

Maybe USF (if they get new stadium)
Also whatever good P12 schools dont end up in the P2.

That just looks a better version of the Big East after Miami and VTech left, at least in comparison to the other conferences. That would be a depressing result for Pitt.

North Carolina basketball is like ND football. Consistently decent to good with the occasional great year but mostly living off their past accomplishments

We joined the ACC be cause of stability.

We're okay, right?
To borrow from the late S.E. Hinton, that was then, this is now.

The landscape of college athletics is changing so massively and so quickly it's hard to even imagine where it goes from here. The two inalienable truths about it are (1) it's all about the money and (2) these changes are not for the better.

To borrow from the late S.E. Hinton, that was then, this is now.

The landscape of college athletics is changing so massively and so quickly it's hard to even imagine where it goes from here. The two inalienable truths about it are (1) it's all about the money and (2) these changes are not for the better.

Am I the only person who didn't see this coming? Where FSU and Clemson would eventually want to leave for one of the other conferences for money reasons? Seems pretty clear this was going to happen. It's why the ACC tried to lock teams in place and then went and negotiated that horrendous ESPN deal for so many years.

But instead, posters talked about "demographics". Lol.

Say what you want, but by accepting ND and not forcing their hand in football started a chain of events eerily similar to the BE implosion. I said it then, you can't let ND join as a part member. It irrevocably weakened the ACC as a conference. It showed they were weak and vulnerable.

Every conference ND 'joins" implodes.

I realize there's more to it than that, but they got what they wanted and the ACC was used.

ND will move on, again, and leave this conference in rubble, too.

Reactions: PITTfanSD
Say what you want, but by accepting ND and not forcing their hand in football started a chain of events eerily similar to the BE implosion. I said it then, you can't let ND join as a part member. It irrevocably weakened the ACC as a conference. It showed they were weak and vulnerable.

I realize there's more to it than that, but they got what they wanted and the ACC was used.

I agree with this. 100%.

The ACC needed to be more aggressive. Perhaps even bringing in Texas and Oklahoma if able.

Meh, I don't agree with this fully. WIthout ND, the ACC has worse bowl games than they do, probably don't get an ACC Network, and don't have the guaranteed 6 games against the, which is valuable content for the conference.
The ACC or any other conference do no have the leverage to pull ND football in against their will. If anything, ND would have just went to the Big East for their other sports again.

While not ideal, I think it gave the ACC more leverage with the network, bowls, etc.

Pretty much only the BIG and SEC have the poewr and base to bully others.

Reactions: cashisking884

They would have gone elsewhere. ACC at least has an exclusive agreement with them.

I'm not too worried right now. All of this posturing is based on a lot of assumptions and blogger's creating content. My concern is next to zero because Pitt controls its own fate with this one. Build your brand over the next decade and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: pittmeister
They would have gone elsewhere. ACC at least has an exclusive agreement with them.

I'm not too worried right now. All of this posturing is based on a lot of assumptions and blogger's creating content. My concern is next to zero because Pitt controls its own fate with this one. Build your brand over the next decade and let the chips fall where they may.
Once again you are the voice of reason among the negative, the depressed, the Chicken Littles and the trolls….

LOL. You guys would get married to someone who kept their "friends." I wish I negotiated against you guys all day.

Meh, I don't agree with this fully. WIthout ND, the ACC has worse bowl games than they do, probably don't get an ACC Network, and don't have the guaranteed 6 games against the, which is valuable content for the conference.
The ACC or any other conference do no have the leverage to pull ND football in against their will. If anything, ND would have just went to the Big East for their other sports again.

While not ideal, I think it gave the ACC more leverage with the network, bowls, etc.

Pretty much only the BIG and SEC have the poewr and base to bully others.

Yep. The ND deal was a good deal then, as it is now.

It just wasn’t enough to save the conference. But there’s nothing the ACC could do about that. You take the best you can get today and hope for even better tomorrow. The even better just didn’t happen.

The ACC had very little leverage to force ND's hand. Probably even less now. And if it gets to the point economically where ND needs to join a league as a full member, it will most assuredly not be the ACC.

Reactions: ThePanthers
If I'm Pitt, Wake, GT, BC, etc, I tell FSU, Clem, etc "OK, we'll give you a bigger share of the ACC pie. Just sign here for this GOR extension to show us you are committed so when that contract comes up in 2036, we can go out and get a massive deal."

Reactions: PittFanDan17
If I'm Pitt, Wake, GT, BC, etc, I tell FSU, Clem, etc "OK, we'll give you a bigger share of the ACC pie. Just sign here for this GOR extension to show us you are committed so when that contract comes up in 2036, we can go out and get a massive deal."

As a Pitt fan, you don’t feel embarrassed that we basically have to hold bigger/better programs hostages in order to remain relevant?

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
F these schools. Pitt kick there ass every other season and they take there ball and go home. Eat sh*t losers. ACC will be fine, GOR F's these schools from leaving. Plane and simple

As a Pitt fan, you don’t feel embarrassed that we basically have to hold bigger/better programs hostages in order to remain relevant?
That's the least of the things he's posted that he should feel embarrassed about.

Other Pitt fans rarely hold the same opinion as he.

I find it ironic that institutions who are beating the drum for ESG are calling for unequal distribution when it comes to their $$.
The ACC is in the not B10 or SEC tier. Our tv contract stinks and the schools that have interest from the big 2 should be looking to leave (and if Pitt had any value to the big 2 conferences then Pitt should be doing the same).

On the other hand the remaining ACC schools should tell the wanting more before they leave schools to pound sand. And keep begging ESPN to renegotiate the tv deal which will never happen.

H2P and screw the conference mayhem

Reactions: Dan1911
My reality doesn't involve being cheated on. You like being a cuck, have at it.
32798dc6dbbb8272965ebd24e395f96c5c2ec69f.gifv

Reactions: Dan1911
It's looking like there will be more movement, very soon, if you read the bloggers out there. May as well start writing the PAC obituary.

No. They are leaving anyway so screw them. If they commit themselves, we'll give them more.
Correct. Hold them hostage and keep the revenue equal. They can leave when the GOR is up or buy their way out. Giving them extra $ is helping to fund their withdrawal.

If the SEC and the Big Mac break away, it doesn't matter to me. I root for Pitt and care about them, not college football in general. I watch football in the fall, and I go out of my way to avoid watching the big 2 conferences.

If people are upset Pitt isn't a tier 1 college football power, they have been deluding themselves for decades.

Otoh, I really see the super conferences imploding. You really think Oklahoma and Texas are going to handle being doormats well? Texas athletics already has the money, they want success. They will be miserable In the SEC. Nebraska, UCLA, USC: will the money soothe the losing? How many more failed coaches at Nebraska will they take?

Lastly, the tier 2 programs need to stop scheduling the big 2 conferences. Let them play a 12-game sec/big mac schedule and eat themselves alive.

Texas already has no success, and already is miserable. I don't see any of that changing, because whatever is wrong with Texas (and I have no idea precisely what that is), isn't going to change. However, they will be getting boatloads of money, and as long as A&M also struggles, they will be OK.

The times not only are a'changing, but rather, they've already changed. But to your point, joining the SEC isn't going to make the old days come back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT