ADVERTISEMENT

Underwhelmed by our commits

The results will be seen in future years. I'm betting that you're wrong, as the facts of the past have proven.

He's 7.22 - 5.55, on average. Winning percentage of 56.54%

In the 15 years before he arrived, which included multiple coaching changes that completely revamped systems and gutted recruiting classes, Pitt is 7.13 - 5.4, on average, for a winning percentage of 56.90%.

Narduzzi has been average.

In the 15 years before he arrived, which included multiple coaching changes that completely revamped systems and gutted recruiting classes, Pitt is 7.13 - 5.4, on average, for a winning percentage of 56.90%.

Yet he regarded by many as a top coach, excepting the negative people on this board.

Are you not one of those bemoaning the way college football has changed and has negatively effected Pitt football because its limitations on recruiting have been exacerbated by those changes? You seem to not recognize the relationship of your 2 positions when you make comments like this.

Yet he regarded by many as a top coach, excepting the negative people on this board.

Are you not one of those bemoaning the way college football has changed and has negatively effected Pitt football because its limitations on recruiting have been exacerbated by those changes? You seem to not recognize the relationship of your 2 positions when you make comments like this.

You seem to conflate things in that cobweb-ridden head of yours quite a bit.

You told someone he was wrong for saying that recruiting at this level will lead to slightly over .500 results. I showed you that you're wrong. Now you're talking about *why* we're recruiting at that level.

You, as usual, can't dispute the statistics, so you try to change the subject matter of the debate.

Do that same comparison against his ACC peers.

Do that same comparison against his ACC peers.

You keep clinging to that stat, but like I've told you, you can make a lot of guys look good with it.

Winning % since taking over:

Narduzzi - 56.54%
Mack Brown - 58.46%
Norvell - 64.58%
Brohm - 71.42%
Elko - 64%
Dabo - something high I'm not going to calculate

It's a dumb stat that can make a lot of people look good. And we'll see if Narduzzi gets passed by Dave Doren (if he isn't already), and who knows who else, after this season.

You keep clinging to that stat, but like I've told you, you can make a lot of guys look good with it.

Narduzzi - 56.54%
Mack Brown - 58.46%
Norvell - 64.58%
Brohm - 71.42%
Elko - 64%

It's a dumb stat that can make a lot of people look good. And we'll see if Narduzzi gets passed by Dave Doren (if he isn't already), and who knows who else, after this season.
Mac has killed it on the recruiting trail and yet his winning percentage is only slightly higher than Duzz

didn’t Duzz beat elko last year with a crap 3-9 team

Look. I think Duzz is above average as a coach at Pitt. But let’s face it the Pitt job isn’t conducive to stacking up 10 win seasons. Hasn’t happened since the late 70s and early 80s. And before that the program was shit. So in modern history Pitt has been a tough place to win. Is that the coach or institutional failure ?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Mac has killed it on the recruiting trail and yet his winning percentage is only slightly higher than Duzz

Look. I think Duzz is above average as a coach at Pitt. But let’s face it the Pitt job isn’t conducive to stacking up 10 win seasons. Hasn’t happened since the late 70s and early 80s. And before that the program was shit. So in modern history Pitt has been a tough place to win. Is that the coach or institutional failure ?

I don't disagree that - when you factor in recruiting, coaching, development, and everything else that goes into being the coach/CEO of a college football program - Narduzzi is somewhere between average and above average (interjecting my own opinion a bit there).

He took a program that established a certain standard since the new millennium began, and he has basically maintained it.

He's fine. He's not great, and he doesn't suck.

Reactions: pittbb80

I my opinion, it is mostly institutional failure. It started way back with Jackie Sherill. We just don't focus on our football program and it shows. I truly believe we could bring in a great coach and still not be a 10 win program. You either run your program like the pedophiles and go all in, or you wallow in complacent mediocrity.

I see you continue to have bad takes.

The big east was garbage and Wanny absolutely choked on multiple occasions.
You're mistaken for many reasons that I articulated in several earlier threads. Mr. Curtain 55 shares the same opinion, and I respect his a hell of a lot more than yours.

Stick with the NBA and Star War threads, you are out of your depth here.

Reactions: Gym Teacher Ranking

Narduzzi - 56.54%
Mack Brown - 58.46%
Norvell - 64.58%
Brohm - 71.42%
Elko - 64%

Are those only ACC games? Of course not, because you are disingenuous. ACC records show performance against similar schedules rather than weaker OOC schedules played by many.

Narduzzi is 44-31 (58.7%) against ACC teams. Mack Brown is 24-19 (55.8%). Brohm has been there 1 year and Narduzzi beat him. Elko 9-7 (56.3%).

You're mistaken for many reasons that I articulated in several earlier threads. Mr. Curtain 55 shares the same opinion, and I respect his a hell of a lot more than yours.

Stick with the NBA and Star War threads, you are out of your depth here.
The Big East was garbage and Wanny couldn't even win it. The ACC is a far superior conference.

The Big East was garbage and Wanny couldn't even win it. The ACC is a far superior conference.
The BE post-ACC raid acquitted itself well enough in the early Wanny years. That is the point we have been trying to make. The notion that Wanny should have owned the conference is faulty in light of the facts. Especially when you consider how bad Harris's recruiting was at the end and that he left Wanny a marginal team. Context matters.

The BE post-ACC raid acquitted itself well enough in the early Wanny years. That is the point we have been trying to make. The notion that Wanny should have owned the conference is faulty in light of the facts. Especially when you consider how bad Harris's recruiting was at the end and that he left Wanny a marginal team. Context matters.
And the point some us are making is that it sucked even in the early Wanny years. During Wanny's tenure, the ACC always had the more ranked teams than the Big East except 2006.

2005 ACC 5 Big East 2
2006 ACC 3 Big East 3
2007 ACC 3 Big East 2
2008 ACC 3 Big East 2
2009 ACC 4 Big East 3
2010 ACC 4 Big East 0

And the point some us are making is that it sucked even in the early Wanny years. During Wanny's tenure, the ACC always had the more ranked teams than the Big East except 2006.

2005 ACC 5 Big East 2
2006 ACC 3 Big East 3
2007 ACC 3 Big East 2
2008 ACC 3 Big East 2
2009 ACC 4 Big East 3
2010 ACC 4 Big East 0

2006 - #2 ranked conference
https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2019-2/2006-2/college-football-fcs-team-ratings-2006-07/

2007 - #4 ranked conference
https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2019-2/2007-2/college-football-fcs-team-ratings-2007-08/

Why would you care what the ACC was ranked during Wanny's years? The comparison is the ACC now vs the Big East then.

2023 - #10 ranked conference
https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2022-2/college-football-fcs-team-ratings-2022-23/

Reactions: Gym Teacher Ranking
More good news....

* Bradley Gompers commits to Duke

* One of the better recruits that came in over the weekend has already committed to Syracuse today (Quante Gillians)

* One of our commits visited Virginia Tech over the weekend. Not identified yet.

My main concern of the new staff was whether they could recruit. I hope it gets better.

2006 - #2 ranked conference
https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2019-2/2006-2/college-football-fcs-team-ratings-2006-07/

2007 - #4 ranked conference
https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2019-2/2007-2/college-football-fcs-team-ratings-2007-08/

Why would you care what the ACC was ranked during Wanny's years? The comparison is the ACC now vs the Big East then.

2023 - #10 ranked conference
https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2022-2/college-football-fcs-team-ratings-2022-23/
LOL.

In 2006, the conference played 5 games OOC against ranked teams. They went 2-3 with Louisville getting the only wins. Louisville was certainly good but conference as whole was not, despite these silly rankings.

The early years of DW, the BE was a good conference. WVU, Rutgers, Louisville, USF, UCONN were all top 25 teams.
Pitt is literally still playing the best 2 of that group of misfits - WVU and Louisville - and swapped abject dreg of Rutgers, USF, and UConn for 3 of Clemson, Notre Dame, FSU, NC State, Cal, and Wake.

Pitt's ACC schedule is far and away harder than their Big East schedule.

2005 ACC 5 Big East 2
2006 ACC 3 Big East 3
2007 ACC 3 Big East 2
2008 ACC 3 Big East 2
2009 ACC 4 Big East 3
2010 ACC 4 Big East 0
This argument might be compelling but for the fact that the ACC housed twelve teams while the BE housed only eight. Such a lazy, misinformed argument.

Quinn Ewers was OSU's trash.
Hardly. He was the #1 overall recruit in the 2022 class and committed to Texas, decommitted after Tom Hermann drove Texas off a cliff that season, reclassed to 2021 to capitalize on NIL, made like 1.5 mill in NIL money to go to OSU for one year, and was only at OSU for his true freshman season. CJ Stroud, who was the class before him, won the starting job in Ewers' true freshman year so Ewers went back to Texas to play for the new coach, QB whisperer Sark. He was the most sought after transfer in the portal for the short time he was in it, during which it was a foregone conmclusion that he would go back home to Texas. .

The rest of the guys on your QB list were essentially Day 1 starters at their schools, established high level starters when they transferred, and transferred due to coaching/schematic changes and/or to improve their NFL draft potential and/or to play for better programs and/or to make more NIL money.

we need to put together a Wanny Era team and match it up against a Narduzzi era team and see who wins out..

TOp of my head, that OL group is real strong, TEs too. I think Narduzzi Era DL would win out though, especially DEs..

Those Wanny era LBs are weak man, real weak. DBs too. Narduzzi era team would win out big time at DB, LBS and DLs...

I loved those Wanny RBs though, including Hyno. Flip side, Narduzzi has Izzy, JC. but yeah, Wanny era wins that position too.

QBs are tough, i mean PIckett by a landslide of course but after that?
ZOR--Conner was a Chryst recruit and player, had by far his best year under Chryst, missed Narduzzi's first season, and played for Narduzzi only as a senior.

So i don't think it's accurate say Narduzzi "had" JC in the context of this discussion about which coach brought in better talent.

IMO, losses to Navy, or Bowling Green, or Ohio, or UConn proved that the talent on those teams was not that immense. You can make arguments it was better than talent on Narduzzi's teams and vice versa, but it was pretty comparable.

Ohio State doesn't lose to those types of schools. And it's not because Ohio State is so much better coached. It's because the talent level is just that great. Wanny didn't assemble that kind of talent.
Right. I mean it's generally accepted that Urban Meyer and Ryan Day, or for that matter Nick Saban, Dabo, etc. aren't THAT much better than Nardon'tzi......

This Wanny vs Duzz convo is amusing. Everyone shat all over Wanny when he was here. Same for Duzz.

What the debate shows is that Pitt never should have gotten rid of Wanny and they’d be idiots if they got rid of Duzz. Neither one is a great coach but then again they were/are coaching at Pitt where the deck is a bit stacked against any coach. Both are about as good as Pitt could ever be expect to get. Yet some have this fantasy that the next Nick Saban or urban Myer is going to show up.

I don’t know how the new OC is going to work out but at a minimum it’s a sign that Duzz recognizes that he had to change which I think is a positive
What the debate shows is that Pitt never should have gotten rid of Wanny and they’d be idiots if they got rid of Duzz.

What the debate actually shows is that (1) Pitt football has not hired well over the last 40 years and (2) most college football fans are numbskulls.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
I think he enjoys coaching. Hes not given any indication he is growing tired of the process
He's got 5 million reasons a year to "gut it out" in the new world of college football.

I don't think he's very smart, but I am pretty sure he's smart enough not to give that up voluntarily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Islanderpanther

Yet he regarded by many as a top coach

"Many" being who, a minority percentage of Pitt fans that post on this board?

If you were to say he was regarded by many as a top defensive coordinator, you'd be accurate. But he's on nobody's list of top college football head coaches.

ACC has more national championships than the Big 10 (if you include the 2014 FSU pre-playoff year) in the past 15 years. If the Coastal sucks, what does that make the Big 10 West? And aside from 2 programs, what does that make the Big 10?
The same as the ACC for the most part. Lets face it this is how the 2 conferences looked like over the past 10 years

ACC Big Ten
The class of the conference

Clemson Ohio St
Michigan

Better than the rest not as good as the top dogs

Florida St Penn St
ND but we know their agreement

Average

Pitt Wisky
North Carolinia Iowa
Miami Mich St

Suck Feast

Everyone else

I know fans are going to say FSU is better than PSU. The highs were certainly higher, but their lows were very bad. PSU while never reaching the playoffs, never fell off to trash either.

This argument might be compelling but for the fact that the ACC housed twelve teams while the BE housed only eight. Such a lazy, misinformed argument.
It is silliness to think that the number of members determines the number ranked.

Hardly. He was the #1 overall recruit in the 2022 class and committed to Texas, decommitted after Tom Hermann drove Texas off a cliff that season, reclassed to 2021 to capitalize on NIL, made like 1.5 mill in NIL money to go to OSU for one year, and was only at OSU for his true freshman season. CJ Stroud, who was the class before him, won the starting job in Ewers' true freshman year so Ewers went back to Texas to play for the new coach, QB whisperer Sark. He was the most sought after transfer in the portal for the short time he was in it, during which it was a foregone conmclusion that he would go back home to Texas. .

The rest of the guys on your QB list were essentially Day 1 starters at their schools, established high level starters when they transferred, and transferred due to coaching/schematic changes and/or to improve their NFL draft potential and/or to play for better programs and/or to make more NIL money.
So he was buried by Stroud (and others in his year there). If he ain't startin', he's in the trash bin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT