ADVERTISEMENT

Underwhelmed by our commits

Also, some of those QBs were backups.

But they aren’t buried on the depth chart.
A 5* recruit from Bama or Ohio State that were in college for 1 season and was the backup QB, isn’t going to smaller schools.

Justin Fields wasn’t buried on the depth chart. He was an elite recruit that couldn’t win the job as a true Freshmen, and wasn’t sure if he was going to beat out the senior returning starter the next year. So he left, and had one of the top 5 programs in the game welcoming him with open arms.

Yes, Pitt should sign Justin Fields and Quinn Ewers. But that isn’t what is being suggested above, because that isnt going to happen.

What’s being suggested is going after the QB that Justin Fields came in and surpassed at UGA to be the backup as a true freshman.

That’s the buried player that is now Georgia’s throwaway.

Yes.
The actual discussion is whether the team should concentrate on landing the players at big time programs that can’t get any playing time.

I fully support landing Cam Ward, Walter Nolan, Evan Stewart, and Caleb Downs.

But those guys weren’t buried on a depth chart. So they are irrelevant to the talent acquisition strategy being proposed.

The discussion is about Alabama and Ohio State’s trash. And whether they would actually be Pitt’s treasure?
Quinn Ewers was OSU's trash.

But they aren’t buried on the depth chart.
A 5* recruit from Bama or Ohio State that were in college for 1 season and was the backup QB, isn’t going to smaller schools.

Justin Fields wasn’t buried on the depth chart. He was an elite recruit that couldn’t win the job as a true Freshmen, and wasn’t sure if he was going to beat out the senior returning starter the next year. So he left, and had one of the top 5 programs in the game welcoming him with open arms.

Yes, Pitt should sign Justin Fields and Quinn Ewers. But that isn’t what is being suggested above, because that isnt going to happen.

What’s being suggested is going after the QB that Justin Fields came in and surpassed at UGA to be the backup as a true freshman.

That’s the buried player that is now Georgia’s throwaway.
Pitt is a "smaller school"?

Your point has some logic but it does ignore that some special players can be found at schools that overload at a position. Pitt may not be a player now. But it is a viable strategy because there is nothing to lose in the attempt.

Dear Brain Fart,

The conversation was about Pitt landing transfers from SEC/big time schools who couldn't get very much playing time at said schools.

You chimed in and started debating something completely different. Nobody said there aren't good players in the portal.
Don’t even waste your time with him. He is the Lair’s trash. He’s a full blown idiot.

I'm pretty worried about life post Partridge. He was the guy who both recruited at a high level AND had the cheat code to build and coach up top DL.

Seeing a drop in DL recruiting, with the DEs looking like athletes they need to bulk up into DEs. Every DL puts weight on in college, but Partridge was starting with athletic 6-4 250 pound guys at DE, and had the feel for recruiting explosive smaller DTs.

Thompson is well regarded, some like George have been good depth guys, but we haven't seen a bigger LB HCPN has recruited that has been a difference maker.

Dotson is a good athlete and looks like prototype HCPN DB recruit with a good chance at being a good player.

I agree with those on the pay side who see something in Turner, he has that kind of immediate get up and flat speed you saw in Jordan Addison. I am not sure about Kinsler, he has a lot of big plays, but doesn't look like the same as Turner to me. I guess they are looking at him as a RB, maybe in the new system it will translate. Folkes has some buzz around him. Hunt, total projection, they have recruited some guys like him lately and they have't panned. Again, maybe the new OC can make him work.

QB ... given their place in the food chain at this point, he looks interesting. Some sense they want to get more than one, and I am all for that, I like HCPN a lot, but from day one he has under recruited the QB position. Even more so now, gotta load up on them and increase your odds of getting a player.

I am warming up a bit to the guys the have now, but its a lot of smallish fast kids. Yes, speed is good, but this is something a LOT of teams have done far before this, you can point to some teams being successful with it, but most don't do anything of substance.

And, the guys coming in this weekend look even more so underwhelming.

Yes, FC ended up being a disaster, and you could say it was was time to move on from some of the offensive coaches.

But, they lost their best recruiters in Partridge and giving Salem the pink slip, and while I get how exasperated everyone was with how Powell managed backs, but both he and Borbs pulled some good recruits at times, and not to mention also losing Underwood who was a solid recruiter.

ALL were replaced by guys with no track record of recruiting at the P5 level.

Its a new world, just have to hope HCPN play with the new OC works out.

we need to put together a Wanny Era team and match it up against a Narduzzi era team and see who wins out..

TOp of my head, that OL group is real strong, TEs too. I think Narduzzi Era DL would win out though, especially DEs..

Those Wanny era LBs are weak man, real weak. DBs too. Narduzzi era team would win out big time at DB, LBS and DLs...

I loved those Wanny RBs though, including Hyno. Flip side, Narduzzi has Izzy, JC. but yeah, Wanny era wins that position too.

QBs are tough, i mean PIckett by a landslide of course but after that?
Many of those guys like Lewis were the types of recruits people are crapping on now. Not all of them where highly sought after

I'm pretty worried about life post Partridge. He was the guy who both recruited at a high level AND had the cheat code to build and coach up top DL.

Seeing a drop in DL recruiting, with the DEs looking like athletes they need to bulk up into DEs. Every DL puts weight on in college, but Partridge was starting with athletic 6-4 250 pound guys at DE, and had the feel for recruiting explosive smaller DTs.

Thompson is well regarded, some like George have been good depth guys, but we haven't seen a bigger LB HCPN has recruited that has been a difference maker.

Dotson is a good athlete and looks like prototype HCPN DB recruit with a good chance at being a good player.

I agree with those on the pay side who see something in Turner, he has that kind of immediate get up and flat speed you saw in Jordan Addison. I am not sure about Kinsler, he has a lot of big plays, but doesn't look like the same as Turner to me. I guess they are looking at him as a RB, maybe in the new system it will translate. Folkes has some buzz around him. Hunt, total projection, they have recruited some guys like him lately and they have't panned. Again, maybe the new OC can make him work.

QB ... given their place in the food chain at this point, he looks interesting. Some sense they want to get more than one, and I am all for that, I like HCPN a lot, but from day one he has under recruited the QB position. Even more so now, gotta load up on them and increase your odds of getting a player.

I am warming up a bit to the guys the have now, but its a lot of smallish fast kids. Yes, speed is good, but this is something a LOT of teams have done far before this, you can point to some teams being successful with it, but most don't do anything of substance.

And, the guys coming in this weekend look even more so underwhelming.

Yes, FC ended up being a disaster, and you could say it was was time to move on from some of the offensive coaches.

But, they lost their best recruiters in Partridge and giving Salem the pink slip, and while I get how exasperated everyone was with how Powell managed backs, but both he and Borbs pulled some good recruits at times, and not to mention also losing Underwood who was a solid recruiter.

I've said since the day he committed, we'll be lucky to keep the QB. He's way better than his ranking.

Agree that all the WRs seem to be in the same mold. I'm intrigued, but a little skeptical.

There's no way to make up for losing Partridge. Gotta hope Nards is heavily involved with DL too.

Not worried about DB or LB recruiting. Manalac LB recruiting might be the best we've had in a while.

Dear Brain Fart,

The conversation was about Pitt landing transfers from SEC/big time schools who couldn't get very much playing time at said schools.

You chimed in and started debating something completely different. Nobody said there aren't good players in the portal.
You just did when you stated that QBs are unique in the portal.

Anyhow, it seems like you support Narduzzi's recruiting strategy.

I guess he started for OSU then.
i think he was like 17 at tOSU. didnt he leave high school a full year early to go to ohio state because Texas wouldnt allow high school kids to get NIL money.

so basically he skipped his high school senior year, got paid to be 3rd string QB and redshirt at ohio state, then transferred back to texas with some money in his pocket.

pretty smart move actually.

Reactions: cashisking884
Justin Thompson - Baylor, Florida, UNC, South Carolina

I could go on with other players, but you are a troll.

My son attended the Youth Football Camp and Narduzzi went out of his way to take pictures and interacted with the kids during the drills. He was actively engaged and left a great impression.

Pitt’s biggest problem are its lame fans who bitch and moan, but yet don’t donate. Big-time recruiting comes down to NIL.
Disagree … the biggest issue as far as fan support is concerned, in my opinion, is that the primary hoped for accomplishment for Narduzzi was getting Oitt closer to the “ next higher level” of competition in the ncaa and after 9 years he really hasn’t achieved that goal…..too many 5 loss seasons during his tenure and 2 outright losing seasons. Pitt seems to be just running in place with this HC…10 years into this regime and he’s a big question mark. Unfortunately stability with Narduzzi hasn’t really uplifted the program .

I guess he started for OSU then.

Nope. They had an elite starter lined up already.
But he wasn’t buried on the depth chart as a redshirt sophomore. He didn’t have the staff saying, “this kid isn’t it” after being on campus a season. Etc.

He was just a 17 year old true freshman.
And when it came time to transfer, he could have gone to any school in the country, because they all wanted him. Because he wasn’t Ohio State’s trash.

That type of recruit/player is not what is being talked about in this threads.

Reactions: Owtie_damus

I understand cleaning house on the offensive side, I was all for it but agree that Salem should have been retained. Heck make him the special teams coach. Are there any locals in attendance last week or this weekend? Moon, Robinson, etc?

This new staff...everyone pretty much agreed it needed to get younger and more innovative. Well on paper it did. Getting the small guys in space, might be Pitt's best option. Lining up and playing smashmouth will never work or will doom you to 6-6 every year. So at least this gives some hope. It could either work tremendously or be a terrible flame out. Either way these next two years will be interesting.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I think Wanny's talent was overrated. I mean, I know Narduzzi has that glaring loss to Western Michigan, but it seems that Wanny teams lost to MAC schools annually. He was what, a .500 record against UConn? The Big East was weak and he couldn't capitalize.

Are you saying Narduzzi's WRs were garbage? He had a Biletnikoff winner.

That version of the Big East was much better than the Coastal. WVU and Lou were very very good. USF and UConn were generally good. And Rutgers had that Ray Rice/Underwood/Teel trio and wasnt a slouch.

That version of the Big East was much better than the Coastal. WVU and Lou were very very good. USF and UConn were generally good. And Rutgers had that Ray Rice/Underwood/Teel trio and wasnt a slouch.

2006& 2007 the Big East was good. After that there is no reason that Wanny shouldn't have laid waste to the conference in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Yeah, Kelly is an awesome coach, but Pitt still had more talent than Cinci and Wanny couldn't get over that hump. Then in 2010 to let that Jabroni Edsell win the conference, no excuse for that.

Wanny's recruiting was about the same as Narduzzi. Shady McCoy was a great one, and Addison & Hamlin were big wins for Narduzzi. Both whiffed on good local talent. Wanny grabbed a lot of local guys that may have endeared him to the yinzer high school coaches (Dan LoHyde, Greg Webster, etc had no business playing P5) and Narduzzi has stayed away from them, to his credit.

2006& 2007 the Big East was good. After that there is no reason that Wanny shouldn't have laid waste to the conference in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Yeah, Kelly is an awesome coach, but Pitt still had more talent than Cinci and Wanny couldn't get over that hump. Then in 2010 to let that Jabroni Edsell win the conference, no excuse for that.

Wanny's recruiting was about the same as Narduzzi. Shady McCoy was a great one, and Addison & Hamlin were big wins for Narduzzi. Both whiffed on good local talent. Wanny grabbed a lot of local guys that may have endeared him to the yinzer high school coaches (Dan LoHyde, Greg Webster, etc had no business playing P5) and Narduzzi has stayed away from them, to his credit.

Im not saying Wanny shouldn't have won the BE a few times but the league was significantly better than the Coastal.

Reactions: Mikefln

Wanny also got Donald. Who did Duzz bring in close to McCoy and Donald? Also I agree about LoHyde (however it's spelled) and Webster not being up to par. But remember Wanny also brought in Lucus Nix, Jason Pinkston, Scott Mckillop. I would argue those 5 guys start over every Duzz recruit at their respective position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seneca_Valley
Wanny also got Donald. Who did Duzz bring in close to McCoy and Donald? Also I agree about LoHyde (however it's spelled) and Webster not being up to par. But remember Wanny also brought in Lucus Nix, Jason Pinkston, Scott Mckillop. I would argue those 5 guys start over every Duzz recruit at their respective position.
McCoy probably wouldn't go to Pitt in NIL era.

Maybe, probably. But the BE was significantly better than what some of the mopes on this board give credit.

The Big East wasn't bad, and it didn't have real cellar dwellers like Illinois, Vanderbilt and Indiana during those years. Problem was it didn't have a lot of strength at the top. A bunch of good schools, none great, none terrible.

IMO, losses to Navy, or Bowling Green, or Ohio, or UConn proved that the talent on those teams was not that immense. You can make arguments it was better than talent on Narduzzi's teams and vice versa, but it was pretty comparable.

Ohio State doesn't lose to those types of schools. And it's not because Ohio State is so much better coached. It's because the talent level is just that great. Wanny didn't assemble that kind of talent.

IMO, losses to Navy, or Bowling Green, or Ohio, or UConn proved that the talent on those teams was not that immense. You can make arguments it was better than talent on Narduzzi's teams and vice versa, but it was pretty comparable.
Lack of a QB and game day coaching can explain that.

Reactions: Pittisit4me

Yep. I wanted Wanny to work, but those were painful years. Prime opportunity to rack up some legacy and he $hit the bed.

Lack of a QB and game day coaching can explain that.
Franklin isn't a great coach either and has had some underperforming QBs, but even Franklin does not lose to MAC type schools (ok so he lost to Temple once but that was almost a decade ago). But Franklin recruits well for PSU -- he has the type of talent that won't lose to those schools. Wanny didn't recruit that level.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Nope. They had an elite starter lined up already.
But he wasn’t buried on the depth chart as a redshirt sophomore. He didn’t have the staff saying, “this kid isn’t it” after being on campus a season. Etc.

He was just a 17 year old true freshman.
And when it came time to transfer, he could have gone to any school in the country, because they all wanted him. Because he wasn’t Ohio State’s trash.

That type of recruit/player is not what is being talked about in this threads.
He was buried on the depth chart. That's the kind of player being discussed.

LBs- Adam Gunn, Scott McKillop, Max Gruder, Brandon Lindsey, Dan Mason even Shane Murray was solid as hell.
Gunn and McKillop were Walt recruits.
Dennis was a difference maker.
McCoy probably wouldn't go to Pitt in NIL era.
McCoy was a backup at Milford to the kid that went to Miami. If he never hurts his ankle he never considers PITT.

I love the hypothetical era talk between teams.

Of some of the hypothetical matchups, it's my opinion that:

Romeus and Sheard were better then any Duzz DE's. If Romeus doesn't hurt his back, he would've had a similar NFL career as Sheard did.

Wanny landed Donald, and had a lot of really good DT's, but I think Duzz's DT's as a whole have been better but it might be a push.

Reactions: Mikefln

McCoy was a backup at Milford to the kid that went to Miami. If he never hurts his ankle he never considers PITT.
Dennis was not bigger, that was my point.

Reactions: cruzer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT