ADVERTISEMENT

uniforms of the past

I'd rather look like San Jose State than Notre Dame, lots of people look like ND, I want to stand out in a LOUD way.

Gotta love the uniform color debates. Gottfried screwed it up with the color change and JM2 destroyed it with the white face masks. Anymore... I don’t give a shit. As long as I can watch Pitt games from ‘79 in half full Pitt Stadium on YouTube I’m happy.

I'd rather look like San Jose State than Notre Dame, lots of people look like ND, I want to stand out in a LOUD way.

I just don’t understand why we can’t strike a happy medium? I don’t want to look like Notre Dame or San Jose State, I just want to look like Pitt again.

I actually do want the bright colors, I like them. With the script and the old 70s-80s uniform design.

WTF is AVP?

I just really like the "comic book colors", they look really cool to me. They've been dressed in drab for over 20 years, bright, "comic book colors" are refreshing to me.
Alex Van Pelt. You know, the guy who set records throwing 5 yard passes to Dave Moore on 3rd & 8.
The strong navy & gold were plenty sharp, esp. with the striped sleeves. Pastel blue & yellow??? Weak.

Alex Van Pelt. You know, the guy who set records throwing 5 yard passes to Dave Moore on 3rd & 8.
The strong navy & gold were plenty sharp, esp. with the striped sleeves. Pastel blue & yellow??? Weak.
No BRIGHT BLUE AND BRIGHT BANANA YELLOW! Navy is DULL.

West Coast Offense!

Didn't we change the stripes on the pants one year to look likow the Redskins had their stripes?
1973-1984: "Majors I Look" -- A dark royal with mustard helmets and pants. Jerseys had variable stripe colors, or tearaways in a single color or with a gold border.
1985: Look closely. Foge changed the blue to navy for one year only.
1986: Return of the Majors I blue, no shoulder numbers
1987-1998: Redskins palette and bright royal and yellow, courtesy of Mike Gottfried
1989-1992: SD Charger double outlined numbers, bright colors, script Pitt over sleeve stripes. Too busy.
1993-1996: Majors II. Deeper royal returns but the gold is brown mustard
1997-2018: various iterations of navy and urine sample gold, from the almost black to a true navy, from the unreadable cutting torch fonts to plain to "Cathy numbers", from Dino to block to script.... Pitt returning bright colored alternates but getting it not quite right.

Majors and Sherrill called the Pitt colors old Gold and i think navy blue. The old gold is the best color rather than the bright yellow and vegas gold.

Reactions: JSSTartan and NTOP
Majors and Sherrill called the Pitt colors old Gold and i think navy blue. The old gold is the best color rather than the bright yellow and vegas gold.
Those colors existed before 1973. Majors put te Script on the hats, added stripes, etc. The big surprise on opening day (2nd game) were the Golden Girls & female Band embers. More than doubled the size, I think.

added stripes, etc. The big surprise on opening day (2nd game) were the Golden Girls & female Band embers. More than doubled the size, I think.

Their husband's had a big surprise 30 years later when they doubled in size again.

the '87 had the bicentennial patch of course but also did the stripes on the sleeves, I don't recall any other year they did this.. I kind of liked it..

70964a855d586a80dc05bfb18bbd1f5b.jpg
Olsavsky.0.0.jpg

Top pic with Ironhead are what I consider our best compromise on colors.

Mostly, schools change colors to sell new merchsndise.

Even Bama and tOSU have shuffled uniform colors just for that reason.

Cartoonish? Look like Tulsa's circa 2000. Or USheLA
Include San Jose State and South Dakota State blue and yellow. I would rather have PItt return to the 1950’s Navy jersey, Khaki pants and either the Gold helmet with Navy stripe or Navy helmet with Gold stripe. The yellow and light blue called retros look like class B high school uniforms. Best I can hope for are the retros from Majors 1973. Regardless Navy/Blue and Gold/Yellow colors I will be in the stadium as usual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT