ADVERTISEMENT

USA Olympic soccer

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Down 1-0 to France. Probably deserving better. A couple shots off the woodwork and the French keeper has come up with a couple good saves. Former Arsenal star Lacazette scored the goal for France.

Hopefully we can get the goal back.

Olise scores a brilliant goal. Down 2-0.

Lacazette is 33 and Olise is a big time young star whose career is about to bud. Sadly we don’t have players like that in our attack.

Ok…we lost 3-0. Doesn’t look good but it appears no one else here watched so I’ll give my two cents.

0-0 at the half. US defended well spent much of half on back foot.

In 2nd half, US was on the front foot a bit. Mihailovich hit the woodwork on a good shot that didn’t dip. Then against the run of play, Lacazette scores a goal that in my opinion should have been stopped. The US GK doesn’t appear to me to be a good shot stopper and we have kids like Slonina on the bench for whatever reason. Maybe the starter is better with his feet? I dunno.

Tolkien had a chance to get one back on a brilliant header but it either hit the bar or the GK made a save. The GK also had to make another good save on Aaronson.

Olise then does what he does and scored a brilliant curling goal. We obviously don’t have anyone at his level. Maybe not even at the senior level, other than Pulisic.

France 3rd goal was off a corner where 3 US players were on the turf from a pick and the French player got a free header.

US scored a goal late but was inches offside.

Not to be an apologist here as France is class and a great football nation. But 3-0 isn’t a fair result. We out chanced them but didn’t take them. If we did the result could have been much different. A 1 goal loss or a draw would have been acceptable based on what I saw. And I think these stats will support that.

Reactions: 121rum
In 2nd half, US was on the front foot a bit. Mihailovich hit the woodwork on a good shot that didn’t dip. Then against the run of play, Lacazette scores a goal that in my opinion should have been stopped. The US GK doesn’t appear to me to be a good shot stopper and we have kids like Slonina on the bench for whatever reason. Maybe the starter is better with his feet? I dunno.
What I was thinking…

I got home in time to see the second half. I agree the US was the better team for some good stretches of the match, but it's just like with the senior team, you simply have got to bury a couple of those chances. The Mihailovich shot would have been a great goal, so I'm not talking about that one. But you had a great chance saved nicely by the goalie that should have been scored, and I still can't figure out how that dude at the back post put that ball off the post instead of in the net.

And man, that goalie? Oof. He didn't even look like he moved on the Lacazette shot, and he seemed really slow on the Olise goal.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
US played pretty well from my perspective, France is just that good. We were very unlucky to not score and two of their goals were outside the box, 3-0 scoreline was 100% harsh. I was impressed with Tessman, Busio, and Pax. It was a good performance anyone who says otherwise is being dramatic.

Ok…we lost 3-0. Doesn’t look good but it appears no one else here watched so I’ll give my two cents.

0-0 at the half. US defended well spent much of half on back foot.

Tolkien had a chance to get one back on a brilliant header but it either hit the bar or the GK made a save. The GK also had to make another good save on Aaronson.

Olise then does what he does and scored a brilliant curling goal. We obviously don’t have anyone at his level. Maybe not even at the senior level, other than Pulisic.

France 3rd goal was off a corner where 3 US players were on the turf from a pick and the French player got a free header.

US scored a goal late but was inches offside.

Not to be an apologist here as France is class and a great football nation. But 3-0 isn’t a fair result. We out chanced them but didn’t take them. If we did the result could have been much different. A 1 goal loss or a draw would have been acceptable based on what I saw. And I think these stats will support that.

Just read this and I completely agree. US plays like this the next two games and they'll steamroll out of the group. Tessman has star potential written all over him. I think they gotta start at least one of Yow or Booth next match.

Just read this and I completely agree. US plays like this the next two games and they'll steamroll out of the group. Tessman has star potential written all over him. I think they gotta start at least one of Yow or Booth next match.
Tessman looked great! It’s just one game, but wow. If that’s how he plays, he will be making a big move somewhere and could be playing in the next World Cup. I also thought about giving Busio props because he looked good. But he was slow to close down either Olise or Lacazette on one of those goals. Maybe it’s harsh to blame him though.

Another thing, I’m seeing all over social media that the goal we scored was not offside. It certainly looked like it could have been but there wasn’t a long look by VAR and as viewers we simply don’t know. Maybe it was home cooking for France. Maybe not.

3-0 was harsh. We finish a couple sitters and we win. If we had, would anyone anywhere say it was an unfair result? No way.

i know you're allowed to have one or two (whatever it is) senior players. but what the hell is lacazzette doing on this team? it's like the neighborhood pickup BB game of middle school kids and the senior in high school decides to play.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
i know you're allowed to have one or two (whatever it is) senior players. but what the hell is lacazzette doing on this team? it's like the neighborhood pickup BB game of middle school kids and the senior in high school decides to play.
He’s like soccers’s Mike young. Lol.

It's their home Olympics and they want to win soccer, and maybe this guy wanted a shot at an Olympic medal.

Why did we not have Cade Cowell and Diego Luna on this team? They are offensive threats that we need. I think they are only like 20 years old?

Why did we not have Cade Cowell and Diego Luna on this team? They are offensive threats that we need. I think they are only like 20 years old?
Yeah I thought Cowell had been playing well and made the squad. Guess not.

Anyone interested in the women? I’ve been bullish on this group and happy that the old generation is essentially gone. But I’ve now reached a point that I’m starting to get concerned. I’ve watched this group miss sitter after sitter vs weaker competition like South Korea, Mexico and Costa Rica. But I figured it will all even out at some point and they’ll start pumping in goals.

Well they just beat Zambia 3-0…but it was 3-0 23 minutes into the game and that was after hitting bars and missing more sitters. Then after that Zambia were down to 10 players and we couldn’t score another goal for the remainder of the game.

We are in a group with Germany and Germany lost to Zambia in the World Cup…so that makes me feel a bit better. But the US had 27 shots and only 3 goals to show for it. When will the floodgates open? Hope it’s Sunday vs Germany. Germany beat Australia 3-0 today…but that’s an Australia without Sam Kerr.

Reactions: Chaos

As I told you and SMF when you couldn't figure it out a week or two ago, Cowell is a starter for Guadalajara. He's scored three goals for them in the four games they've played so far this season. There is literally a 0.0% chance that they were going to release him to play in this junior varsity tournament.

Lots of American hear "Olympics" and think that means it's important. In the world of men's soccer the Olympic soccer tournament is nothing more than an after thought. And the clubs treat it that way.

Reactions: mike412 and Fk_Pitt
As I told you and SMF when you couldn't figure it out a week or two ago, Cowell is a starter for Guadalajara. He's scored three goals for them in the four games they've played so far this season. There is literally a 0.0% chance that they were going to release him to play in this junior varsity tournament.

Lots of American hear "Olympics" and think that means it's important. In the world of men's soccer the Olympic soccer tournament is nothing more than an after thought. And the clubs treat it that way.
Soccers a young man’s sport. Plenty of stars are under the age of 23. This really is a B team tourney. But I still like it. But just a little.

Soccers a young man’s sport. Plenty of stars are under the age of 23. This really is a B team tourney. But I still like it. But just a little.

Well I'm certainly paying attention to it. But you have to take it for what it is, rather than think that it's something that it isn't now, and never has been.

But it's not even really a full U23 tournament, because clubs still don't have to release players if they don't want to, even if they are under 23, like Cowell is. A full U23 tournament where everyone had to be released would be pretty interesting.

Well I'm certainly paying attention to it. But you have to take it for what it is, rather than think that it's something that it isn't now, and never has been.

But it's not even really a full U23 tournament, because clubs still don't have to release players if they don't want to, even if they are under 23, like Cowell is. A full U23 tournament where everyone had to be released would be pretty interesting.
Yeah. Chelsea being a really young team right now has a handful of players that they denied then the opportunity to play. Most notably was Enzo who was miffed that they wouldn’t let him play even after he played Copa. We have plenty of others too.

Some of the decisions on which players get released and which do not make no sense. Like why would Venezia release Tessman and Busio. They were promoted to Serie A and will have to fight to stay up. And those 2 are regulars for them. That's just one.

I dont mind it being U23 if FIFA required that U23 players be released. Then you'd have a U23 "A teams" and a bunch of stars. But making it U23 and not releasing players means you arent even getting the best U23s so what's the point? Might as well take away the age limit and field a "full national team" but of the C team or D team variety.

Wing depth is actually a strength for this team, all 4 wingers play and get a lot of minutes in Europe. I'm not shocked Cowell didn't make the cut, but Luna was such an awful snub its ridiculous.

Well, I'm allowed to have the OPINION that it's stupid to make the Olympics insignificant, OF COURSE, I know that me saying it on a message board won't change anything, but I can still say it, thanks again for monitoring my comments, are you an admin by the way?

Wing depth is actually a strength for this team, all 4 wingers play and get a lot of minutes in Europe. I'm not shocked Cowell didn't make the cut, but Luna was such an awful snub its ridiculous.
Who are the 4 guys better than Cowell? I saw Cowell in a tournament last summer and he was good, strong and fast, scoring and creating opportunities.

Who are the 4 guys better than Cowell? I saw Cowell in a tournament last summer and he was good, strong and fast, scoring and creating opportunities.
Paxten Aaronson and Taylor Booth both performed well in the Netherlands, Griffin Yow was pretty great in Belgium and Paredes has been getting tons of minutes in the Bundesliga.

Paxten Aaronson and Taylor Booth both performed well in the Netherlands, Griffin Yow was pretty great in Belgium and Paredes has been getting tons of minutes in the Bundesliga.
I still think Cowell is better than them, from that U20 WC last year, although Peredes was really good with DC United, he would draw a lot of penalty shots, I watched a lot of those games before they took away the local TV contracts.

Well, I'm allowed to have the OPINION that it's stupid to make the Olympics insignificant, OF COURSE, I know that me saying it on a message board won't change anything, but I can still say it, thanks again for monitoring my comments, are you an admin by the way?

You can express whatever opinion you want. When you show your ignorance, I can express the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about.

See how that works?

Some of the decisions on which players get released and which do not make no sense. Like why would Venezia release Tessman and Busio. They were promoted to Serie A and will have to fight to stay up. And those 2 are regulars for them. That's just one.

I agree that it is odd that Venezia released Busio and Tessman. Their first game of the season is on August 18, maybe they expect the US to be out fast enough that those guys will be back in time to get some good practice time with the team, and yet have the advantage of actually playing a few competitive matches before the season starts?

I still think Cowell is better than them, from that U20 WC last year, although Peredes was really good with DC United, he would draw a lot of penalty shots, I watched a lot of those games before they took away the local TV contracts.
I don’t follow the young players/MLS players closely, but while I liked Cowell when I’ve seen him, he is a limited player with a low ceiling that he may have already reached.

Like, I dont get why Wolfsburg would release Parades. Why would PSG release Hakikimi? Then again, you could say the Olympics could serve as their preseason.

Luna evidently rejected the offer to be an alternate and may play for Mexico

I dont follow MLS as closely as I used to. I do remember Luna looking good but nothing special in the Olympic qualifiers but there seems to be a lot of complaining that he didnt make it. Is he that big of a deal. And if he switches to Mexico, like so what.

I dont follow MLS as closely as I used to. I do remember Luna looking good but nothing special in the Olympic qualifiers but there seems to be a lot of complaining that he didnt make it. Is he that big of a deal. And if he switches to Mexico, like so what.

He's got something like 5 goals and 12 assists so far this season. The 12 assists is tied for fourth in the league, one behind some dude named Messi. He's played well enough to make the MLS all start team, in a year that there was only enough players for one team because they were playing the Liga MX all stars rather than an east - west game as there sometimes is.

Will he ever become a great player? Who knows? But for someone to be doing what he's doing as a 20 year old, well, it might be worth your while to find out.

He's got something like 5 goals and 12 assists so far this season. The 12 assists is tied for fourth in the league, one behind some dude named Messi. He's played well enough to make the MLS all start team, in a year that there was only enough players for one team because they were playing the Liga MX all stars rather than an east - west game as there sometimes is.

Will he ever become a great player? Who knows? But for someone to be doing what he's doing as a 20 year old, well, it might be worth your while to find out.

12 assists is a lot. When I saw him in qualifying, he kind of struck me as a player who might be an ok squad player eventually but we are so young at his position that guys like Luna or these other U23 guys really dont have much of a chance.

12 assists is a lot. When I saw him in qualifying, he kind of struck me as a player who might be an ok squad player eventually but we are so young at his position that guys like Luna or these other U23 guys really dont have much of a chance.

He might not. But he's good enough at an early enough age that you ought to want him to be around to find out. If he ends up being good enough and he's playing for Mexico because you left him off this team and pissed him off, well, that's a massive unforced error.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT