ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today 32-team League

NCPitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2009
USA Today has a couple of articles about the potential of a 32 team league. Here are the divisions:

Football.png

Some of the teams left out are surprising.

USA Today has a couple of articles about the potential of a 32 team league. Here are the divisions:

Football.png

Yeah. Not a team in the northeast (NY, NJ, NE).

I like that Pitt is included in one of these for once (even if they’re using a logo we haven’t worn since 2014). But yeah, several notable schools left off of here. TCU, UCF, and a few of those Pac-12 schools would get in over the likes of Arkansas and Iowa? I guess they’re placing a priority on recent success over legacy.

Football.png

Its amazing to me people get paid to write what any of us can write on a message board.

The Big Ten and SEC want to keep as much money as control as they can. They will expand (or possibly contract) when the money is right. End of story.

I like that Pitt is included in one of these for once (even if they’re using a logo we haven’t worn since 2014). But yeah, several notable schools left off of here. TCU, UCF, and a few of those Pac-12 schools would get in over the likes of Arkansas and Iowa? I guessing they’re placing a priority on recent success over legacy.
They have UCF. Top right.

Football.png

Someone making an absurd league setup that would never happen. Pretty sure we have about 3 dozen of these on these forums over the past two years that are just as likely.

Anyone who questions the
Sorry, I don’t think I worded that properly. I was questioning the decision to include UCF and a few others over schools such as Iowa and Arkansas.
orlando market and the largest enrollment possibly in the US. A case can be made.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Its amazing to me people get paid to write what any of us can write on a message board.

The Big Ten and SEC want to keep as much money as control as they can. They will expand (or possibly contract) when the money is right. End of story.
They get paid to get clicks and generate traffic. This article does that. You should know this. It’s not particularly smart. You should apply.

Anyone who questions the

orlando market and the largest enrollment possibly in the US. A case can be made.
I definitely see the argument behind including them. They have a lot going for them. I’m just used to these so-called “super leagues” including old school legacies and less of the up-and-comers, like UCF. So I guess it’s just surprise is all.

I definitely see the argument behind including them. They have a lot going for them. I’m just used to these so-called “super leagues” including old school legacies and less of the up-and-comers, like UCF. So I guess it’s just surprise is all.
Yeah. I’m not being smug. Hopefully I didn’t come off that way. It makes sense for a school like UCF to have a seat at the table more than schools who have security right now…like an Iowa, Miss St, etc.so I get it.

Kinda looks like it was based on media markets and blue bloods.

They get paid to get clicks and generate traffic. This article does that. You should know this. It’s not particularly smart. You should apply.
Yea but this is reputable newspaper making a message board post and calling it an article.

I like that Pitt is included in one of these for once (even if they’re using a logo we haven’t worn since 2014). But yeah, several notable schools left off of here. TCU, UCF, and a few of those Pac-12 schools would get in over the likes of Arkansas and Iowa? I guess they’re placing a priority on recent success over legacy.
I guess the 43 bowl games that Arkansas has played in do not count towards a legacy...

Recent success and future potential marketability.

I think a key point here that really will put things in perspective as far as the chances of this actually happening is that it would be very difficult to win in this league unless there is a salary/spending cap of some sort. This is a real "be careful what you wish for because you might get it" scenario. While it would be great to be included if something like this does happen, we would totally be bottom feeders.

More like TV Markets, Little Rock? Des Moines vs. Dallas and Orlando.

I guess the 43 bowl games that Arkansas has played in do not count towards a legacy...
Good beating down legacy at a place like that is good for Pitt. Today you're better off being known as a TV market than going to 10 bowl games in the 50s.

I think a key point here that really will put things in perspective as far as the chances of this actually happening is that it would be very difficult to win in this league unless there is a salary/spending cap of some sort. This is a real "be careful what you wish for because you might get it" scenario. While it would be great to be included if something like this does happen, we would totally be bottom feeders.
This might make it depressing for me, I might prefer to be left out and win 10 games and go to the FCS playoffs every year, rather than be the Washington Generals for the Globetrotters (Bama, tOSU, Clemson etc.)

Are these the missing P5 teams? Some surprises...the context would be interesting to see.

BC, NCST, Louisville, CUSE, Wake, Duke, UVA, GT

Indiana, UMD, Rutgers, Iowa, Minn, Purdue, Illinois

WVU, ISU, KU, KSU, OSU, Baylor, TTU

Cal, OSU, Stanford, WSU, Arizona, ASU

Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, USC, Arkansas, MSU, Ole Miss

Are these the missing P5 teams? Some surprises...the context would be interesting to see.

BC, NCST, Louisville, CUSE, Wake, Duke, UVA, GT

Indiana, UMD, Rutgers, Iowa, Minn, Purdue, Illinois

WVU, ISU, KU, KSU, OSU, Baylor, TTU

Cal, OSU, Stanford, WSU, Arizona, ASU

Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, USC, Arkansas, MSU, Ole Miss
You can tell they aren't thinking about basketball at all

Duke, Kentucky for example out, even Indiana traditionally was a blue blood.

If they did something like this would basketball still be the same conferences?

Nice to see Pitt included, but 32 teams isn't going to cut it for an interesting college football league. A straight split between the P5 and G5 seems like the way to go. The G5 teams could actually compete in their own playoffs and not just be Homecoming games for the P5 teams. Maybe you still have two crossover games as a "preseason" and then focus on conference games the rest of the year.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
Kinda looks like it was based on media markets and blue bloods.
There was a separate article discussing the teams left out.

With just 32 spots available in USA TODAY Sports imagined National College Football League, some of the bigger and more successful programs in the Bowl Subdivision were bound to be left on the cutting room floor.

While these teams may have made the grade for many of the elements weighed for inclusion in the NCFL, including recent track record and fan support, they failed to check the boxes for other factors under consideration, such as location and marketability.

And in a few cases, exclusion from the NCFL resulted from the head-to-head comparison with another program in the same weight class. This includes Arizona falling short to rival Arizona State, or TCU getting tapped ahead of several other options in Texas and neighboring states.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-team-model-big-teams-left-behind/7893612001/

Reactions: pittdan77
While these teams may have made the grade for many of the elements weighed for inclusion in the NCFL, including recent track record and fan support, they failed to check the boxes for other factors under consideration, such as location and marketability.

And yet they pick UCF. So let's look at their criteria. Their recent track record is pretty good, if we make sure that we define "recent" in just the right way. Their fan support is nothing special. Their location is OK, but they don't "control" their market in any way, shape or form. In fact they probably aren't the most popular team in their market, and they might not be the second most popular. And they have basically no "marketability" at all. No one outside of their small fan base gives a crap about them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT