ADVERTISEMENT

Use only this thread to discuss USA Basketball

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Most of us have to timeshift these games. Thanks.

Can the boys get it done against the Iranians? This game might be more their speed.

This game was on at 12:40 AM Wednesday morning/Tuesday night. That's 9:40 PM Tuesday night on the West Coast. So when is it on TV? 3PM Eastern on Wednesday. I tried firing it up on Peacock earlier but that app kept crashing plus Peacock shows headlines which basically says who won. Not that I thought Iran had any chance but I prefer to watch any game not knowing the result.

I believe in past Olympics, NBC aired the basketball games all live on USA and then did the rebroadcast later on NBC. Not sure what is so important to be televising in the middle of the night that bball cant be aired live.

Had to LOL at the title of this thread.

I mean yeah, if I’m watching a game on delay, I might tell by buddies not to text me on it because after all, thats my phone.

But this is a *message board* where it’s a lot easier to just not visit for 12 hours.

But as a side and perhaps more important note - it’s hard to get into an Olympics on the other side of the world in the age of social media. It’s pretty hard to not know what already happened in a lot of cases.

Had to LOL at the title of this thread.

I mean yeah, if I’m watching a game on delay, I might tell by buddies not to text me on it because after all, thats my phone.

But this is a *message board* where it’s a lot easier to just not visit for 12 hours.

But as a side and perhaps more important note - it’s hard to get into an Olympics on the other side of the world in the age of social media. It’s pretty hard to not know what already happened in a lot of cases.
Its even easier to not make thread titles saying "France beats USA" when NBC wont show the game until like 2 weeks later.

Its even easier to not make thread titles saying "France beats USA" when NBC wont show the game until like 2 weeks later.

People shouldn't be forced to allow what NBC may or may not do affect how they want to post.

Seriously, if you don't want to know the score of a sporting event because you are recording it, stay off sports sites on the internet until you see the game. It's really not that hard, and it puts the onus for acting where it belongs.

People shouldn't be forced to allow what NBC may or may not do affect how they want to post.

Seriously, if you don't want to know the score of a sporting event because you are recording it, stay off sports sites on the internet until you see the game. It's really not that hard, and it puts the onus for acting where it belongs.
Part of my contract with Peak requires a certain number of posts per day.

Part of my contract with Peak requires a certain number of posts per day.
I know you’re trying to be funny, but back in the day when offshore gambling was at its peak there were quite a few guys making moderate incomes to be paid posters on gambling forums. Those times are pretty much gone, but I knew of a couple in particular that were getting $2500 a month + free play for a certain quantity of posts per month.

I watched a replay of the first half of the USA/Iran game, it was pretty boring. And no fans, so quiet, that adds to the lack of excitement. And to be honest, as not an avid NBA fan, I never heard of half the USA players.

USA played a strong 2nd half against Spain. They were very active on the defensive end and hustled on each possession. This led to some easy transition baskets, which helped seal the win.

USA played a strong 2nd half against Spain. They were very active on the defensive end and hustled on each possession. This led to some easy transition baskets, which helped seal the win.

The performance like in the second half should be good enough to defeat Australia. But they have to play that way the whole game. If they play like the did for parts of the first half, they will lose.

And with the way Luka is playing right now, I don't think we get the gold anyway. That is, unless Jrue is up to the the task of guarding him. Devin must also get out of the funk he seems to have brought with him from Game 6. And Dame must be the player we know he is.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that the USA team has turned things around to make this interesting. I'm looking forward to the Assuie game, but it is a bit of bummer knowing the outcome beforehand.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Very surprised Slovenia lost. I didn't watch it, but I looks like Luka had a bad shooting day. I'm now pretty confident US wins the goal.
USA's defense in the 2nd half was stifling. Everyone has bought in and they are busting their butts guarding, denying and rebounding. Their D is creating transition baskets, taking advantage of their athleticism and elite offensive skills.

I simply cannot fathom how Doncic would let anyone else take the last shot but him.

Did you see the play? Dude thought he had a wide open game winning (or at least lead taking) layup, and then Nicolas Batum came off his man (was it Doncic?) at the last moment to block the shot.

Doncic did have a bad shooting night, but did you see his overall line? 16 points on 5-18 from the field, 2-9 on threes, 4-6 on ones, with 10 rebounds. Slovenian players not named Doncic made 29 baskets and Doncic assisted on 18 of them. They must have been doubling him all game.

Did you see the play? Dude thought he had a wide open game winning (or at least lead taking) layup, and then Nicolas Batum came off his man (was it Doncic?) at the last moment to block the shot.

Doncic did have a bad shooting night, but did you see his overall line? 16 points on 5-18 from the field, 2-9 on threes, 4-6 on ones, with 10 rebounds. Slovenian players not named Doncic made 29 baskets and Doncic assisted on 18 of them. They must have been doubling him all game.

I confess I did not see the game but saw the highlights and the final play several times. I'm not contesting that the dude thought he had a wide open layup. And you are probably right that they likely doubled Doncic all game long.

My wonder was about the play just before the block. Doncic had the ball and just kind of passed it off and he wasn't being doubled at the time. I've watched Luka many times in the NBA and he takes that last shot almost every time for the Mavs. And it's rarely an easy shot. Often it's something like a step back 27 footer. I'm not saying he made a bad play. I'm just surprised he didn't take the play I've seen he take so many times before.

I confess I did not see the game but saw the highlights and the final play several times. I'm not contesting that the dude thought he had a wide open layup. And you are probably right that they likely doubled Doncic all game long.

My wonder was about the play just before the block. Doncic had the ball and just kind of passed it off and he wasn't being doubled at the time. I've watched Luka many times in the NBA and he takes that last shot almost every time for the Mavs. And it's rarely an easy shot. Often it's something like a step back 27 footer. I'm not saying he made a bad play. I'm just surprised he didn't take the play I've seen he take so many times before.
It looked to me like Batum was moving to double Luka, and he passed it to the man Batum left, but Batum recovered and made the block

It looked to me like Batum was moving to double Luka, and he passed it to the man Batum left, but Batum recovered and made the block

Yes, I agree, but I don't think Doncic's execution was great. He really could have done a better good getting Batum committing to him on the double team fully so that Batum wouldn't have been able to recover.

I'm nitpicking because I think Doncic is capable of the highest level kind of play. And I probably simply should give more credit to Batum for great coverage and a truly great play.

Yes, I agree, but I don't think Doncic's execution was great. He really could have done a better good getting Batum committing to him on the double team fully so that Batum wouldn't have been able to recover.

I'm nitpicking because I think Doncic is capable of the highest level kind of play. And I probably simply should give more credit to Batum for great coverage and a truly great play.
Right, it looked like he made the pass just a bit too soon, leaving Batum the opportunity to get back to his man. Still a great play all around by Batum.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
Anyone else getting their midnight basketball on? France has this game at their pace early on so this should be a good one.

The US has already had two or three chances for open dunks/layups and turned them down for worse shots.

What's up with that?

The US is 6-8 on twos and 0-8 on threes. Maybe work your way into the three point game instead of looking for it so much.

Anyone else getting their midnight basketball on? France has this game at their pace early on so this should be a good one.
Yes. Good news is that I can finally watch live. But I had to leave the country to do so. Watching the 🐐 Dan Shulman call the game on the CBC.

He's the one guy on this team with carte blanche to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

Midrange is definitely where the French defense is weakest, they want to bait you into taking contested threes or trying to attack their towers. Durant, Tatum, and Adebayo can do some work there.

Yes. Good news is that I can finally watch live. But I had to leave the country to do so. Watching the 🐐 Dan Shulman call the game on the CBC.

Then you're missing the best part of the entire game which is Roundball Rock into the commercial breaks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT