ADVERTISEMENT

Utah to the ACC?

RINGGOLD94

Scholarship
Mar 31, 2014
Per some report / rumor, they are interested in leaving the Big 12 for the ACC...... bizarre

Utah always seems tough, if i were they I would try to get to the ACC as a quicker path to CFP, or so it would seem? It would be a great addition.

Would be awesome and make the Big 12 look really bad. I always respected that program. I think they would be a solid add.

That said, who started this rumor? Cause there are some absolute charlatans out there floating BS.

Dick Hoops Weiss. So a good source but it just sounds like its something they are thinking about. I wouldn’t bet on this. Though I have said countless times that the ACC should raid the B12.

Dont know this guy but sounds like this is part of the ESPN "look-in"

I would say no to USF until FSU leaves. Oregon State you can get anytime. San Diego State and Utah I like but I go bigger first: Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma State, Kansas

No. Someone said something about the acc network on twitter and tagged San Diego state, I think Colorado state and what I thought was Utah state for some reason and now the rumor mongers are saying Utah to the acc. There is nothing

Edit: Luke Fletcher was the guy on twitter and he tagged south Florida, San Diego state, Utah and Oregon state

If that is the case they are making a mistake if they move, IMO

I think the chance of this happening is like 5% but lets not forget that Utah and BYU hate each other. It goes much deeper than just a local rivalry. Its a religion/culture war. I am sure Utah doesn't like sharing a conference with them but they had no choice. I doubt they'd go to the ACC alone but if the ACC came after Colorado, Utah, and 1 Arizona, they'd go.

That brings up an entire new question, why does the Government have the right to tell a person how many spouses they may have?
Because the act of marriage is a contract and multiple marriages create legal issues. Or God doesn't like it.

It is? Seems to me they are in the same religion and same culture.

Worked with some Utah fans once. They filled me in on it. I used to think it was a friendly neighborhood rivalry. But they hate each other. BYU is Mormon. UU isnt. I mean its Utah so there are Mormons that go to UU but they are the minority. Also, BYU thumbs their nose at UU and their fans. Basically, in Utah, Mormons root for BYU, non-Mormons root for UU whether they went there or not so they tend to get the less sophisticated non-college fans that BYU makes fun of.

I mean its Utah so there are Mormons that go to UU but they are the minority.
40% of Utah students are Mormons, 54% were raised Mormons(reflecting the 55% of total population that are Mormon), the next three highest religious categories on Campus are: Agnostic, Atheist, and "non-Religious" according to The Daily Chronicle, UU's student newspaper, so I am not seeing your "religious/culture war", just two in state schools that are rivals.

40% of Utah students are Mormons, 54% were raised Mormons(reflecting the 55% of total population that are Mormon), the next three highest religious categories on Campus are: Agnostic, Atheist, and "non-Religious" according to The Daily Chronicle, UU's student newspaper, so I am not seeing your "religious/culture war", just two in state schools that are rivals.
It’s a rivalry and the game is called The Holy War. We tailgated with some Utah fans at the Fiesta Bowl when we played them and they hated BYU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
I’d LOVE to backfill losing Clemson, FSU, etc. with west coast Big 12 members. Give me Arizona, Sparky, Colorado, and Utah. They’d be great peer institutions for Pitt and those media markets (Phoenix, Denver, SLC) couldn’t hurt.

Edit: Then again, I wanted the ACC to mass-expand by taking the ‘Corner Four’ plus Cal, Stanford, and even Oregon/Washington before they were invited to the B1G…

Last edited:
Dont know this guy but sounds like this is part of the ESPN "look-in"

I would say no to USF until FSU leaves. Oregon State you can get anytime. San Diego State and Utah I like but I go bigger first: Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma State, Kansas
Just my opinion, but I’d pick Arizona State over Arizona if we were only picking one. Bigger enrollment and bigger market in addition to AAU affiliation, strong athletic department, etc. I get the Wildcats’ appeal due to their basketball program, though.

Just my opinion, but I’d pick Arizona State over Arizona if we were only picking one. Bigger enrollment and bigger market in addition to AAU affiliation, strong athletic department, etc. I get the Wildcats’ appeal due to their basketball program, though.

I dont really care which one, but just one.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Salt Lake (and the state of Utah) is growing faster than almost anywhere. If this is a factor than I applaud the ACC for being forward thinking.

I will also add (for those arguing about urban versus small town schools), one can walk from downtown Salt Lake City to their campus.

As for road trips....c'mon.....would be one of the best places to go for stuff to do.

Finally.....if anyone cares.....locals refer to Utah as the "U" and BYU as the "Y".

Salt Lake (and the state of Utah) is growing faster than almost anywhere. If this is a factor than I applaud the ACC for being forward thinking.

I will also add (for those arguing about urban versus small town schools), one can walk from downtown Salt Lake City to their campus.

As for road trips....c'mon.....would be one of the best places to go for stuff to do.

Finally.....if anyone cares.....locals refer to Utah as the "U" and BYU as the "Y".

I think the way this went down is that the ACC asked a few B12 teams. Utah didnt say no so someone leaked it to Dick Weiss. Still unlikely that Utah would accept but the fact they at least showed some level of interest was enough to leak a rumor.

You guys are nuts. There's not a single B12 team that would jump to the ACC at this point. Can't wait to see the next rumor you guys latch onto...let me guess...Pitt to the B10. 🤣

Didn’t Stanford and Cal take $20 million less per year because they didn’t want to be in the Big 12?
Stanford and Cal didn't get an invite to the B12. Frankly, other than academics (newsflash....academics is not played on the field or court) they bring nothing to the party. But back on point, you're crazy if you think Utah or any other B12 school would jump to the ACC at this point. Frankly, I'm not even sure you could land UCONN from the Big East.

Stanford and Cal didn't get an invite to the B12. Frankly, other than academics (newsflash....academics is not played on the field or court) they bring nothing to the party. But back on point, you're crazy if you think Utah or any other B12 school would jump to the ACC at this point. Frankly, I'm not even sure you could land UCONN from the Big East.
Didn’t WVU get denied acceptance to the ACC because of academics?

Lol. Yea right. There were rumors that the B10 was interested and yet, the B12 passed on 2 Bay Area schools in favor of duplicate Utah and Arizona schools, a year after adding commuter JUCOs in Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati. Sure.

Reactions: singregardless
Lol. Yea right. There were rumors that the B10 was interested and yet, the B12 passed on 2 Bay Area schools in favor of duplicate Utah and Arizona schools, a year after adding commuter JUCOs in Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati. Sure.
You haven't been correct on a single thing for the past 18 months or so that I have occasionally visited this site. And, I can see you intend to keep your streak alive. Nobody, certainly not Utah, has interest in joining the ACC.

You haven't been correct on a single thing for the past 18 months or so that I have occasionally visited this site. And, I can see you intend to keep your streak alive. Nobody, certainly not Utah, has interest in joining the ACC.

I didn't say Utah was going to join the ACC. I did say there was no way the B12 invited duplicate Arizona and Utah teams and not the Bay Area teams, who the B10 had some interest in. That's just absurd.

I love how so many get duped into these rumors. Just because someone spouts off on Twitter or has a YouTube channel, doesn't mean they have some inside info. As much as we need more rabid fans, when the JJ Kitchens of the world go on Locked On Big12 to discuss "pitt to the big12" it doesn't mean he nor the big12 host have inside intel...but so many fans see someone on the internets and assume it must have some legs to the story.

Reactions: Houclone4
I love how so many get duped into these rumors. Just because someone spouts off on Twitter or has a YouTube channel, doesn't mean they have some inside info. As much as we need more rabid fans, when the JJ Kitchens of the world go on Locked On Big12 to discuss "pitt to the big12" it doesn't mean he nor the big12 host have inside intel...but so many fans see someone on the internets and assume it must have some legs to the story.

The funny thing is the Locked on Big 12 guy is literally a Baylor student. I agree the ACC needs more of these type of guys though because for whatever reason, the Big 12 has an army of fake news propogandists.

Stanford was the 2nd rank all-sports value in P5 back in '22 (the last ranking) done by SI. Their overall value is far higher than Pitt's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT