ADVERTISEMENT

UVA reminds of Pitt's best teams

Apr 26, 2012
Great defense, low turnover rate, moves the ball well on offense, uses the whole shot clock, takes good shots.

And lacks a true go to scorer...and get beat in the tournament by a scorer that goes off.

Yep just thinking same. They've been a top team for a few years, just can't break through come tourney time. With UVA losing some big seniors, it will be interesting to see where they go from this as a program, as I really thought they'd go to final 4 this year.

That inability to take the next step was what did in Dixon and our program.

It's a tried and true recipe for March disappointment.

I have recently cheered very hard against UVA. If Pitt's best teams couldn't crack through with that model, I damn sure don't want to see UVA get it done. I'm like that.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Great defense, low turnover rate, moves the ball well on offense, uses the whole shot clock, takes good shots.

And lacks a true go to scorer...and get beat in the tournament by a scorer that goes off.

De ja vu all over again!

The Tony Bennett era at UVA reminds me so much of the Jamie Dixon era at Pitt.

Now my daughter has adopted mommies team and is running around with that shitty mascot toy

That's right. Coaching can only take you so far, in March you'd better have players too. I said that about UVA last year and again this year in response to posters who picked them to go all the way-you know who you are. UVA was not appreciably different or better this year than last.. Brogdon is an excellent player.but offensively he's all they have and he's not enough. Bennett may have hit his ceiling unless he can get some better players into the program, and that's going to be very difficult given (1) that it's UVA and (2) their style of play. It simply isn't attractive to scorers. That is not to take anything away from Bennett, very few could have done what he has done with that program.

That's right. Coaching can only take you so far, in March you'd better have players too. I said that about UVA last year and again this year in response to posters who picked them to go all the way-you know who you are. UVA was not appreciably different or better this year than last.. Brogdon is an excellent player.but offensively he's all they have and he's not enough. Bennett may have hit his ceiling unless he can get some better players into the program, and that's going to be very difficult given (1) that it's UVA and (2) their style of play. It simply isn't attractive to scorers. That is not to take anything away from Bennett, very few could have done what he has done with that program.
Agreed, but they didnt lose to unc ok kansas or msu, they just choked against a team that lost to us 3 times and never should have gotten in.

Agreed, but they didnt lose to unc ok kansas or msu, they just choked against a team that lost to us 3 times and never should have gotten in.
The last two years they were bounced bot times by MSU-and last year's UVA team was just as good as this one. If MSU hadn't had its one time in a hundred first round hiccup this year, they would have bounced UVA for a 3rd straight year.

Bennett has done a great job there, but they don't have the players, and given their style of,play, I don't think they ever will.

Disagree. Brogden is a go to guy. This was a flat out collapse. 4 pts in last 10 mins?

While I agree he is a damn good player, he wasn't "go-to" last night. He shot 2-14. He scored 2 points over the last 10:30 minutes of the game, and missed about 5 or 6 shots in that time frame.

He was 3-12 for 9 points against MSU last year.

Agreed about last 2 yrs and would have loat to msu, but syracuse certainly isnt better.

Uva flat out choked.

Agreed about last 2 yrs and would have loat to msu, but syracuse certainly isnt better.

Uva flat out choked.

-Im sorry but Syracuse dialed up the pressure with the press and Virginia couldnt handle it. Coach Keatts did the same thing against Duke, and Duke couldnt handle the press most of the game against Wilmington. Duke was choking at will under pressure against Wilmington. Boeheim made the switch and turned on the pressure, and won the game. That's coaching.

-This is why Dixon never won big. He never would change his philosophy to win regardless of opponent. At least he tried zone at times. But he isnt a big game coach with the season on the line.

-An Elite Coach will change in game. Izzo does it with junk defenses, so does Bill Self at Kansas. So does Boeheim. Its like Bill Cowher. When he finally thought outside the box, he won a superbowl. Dixon's brain is still in the fishbowl, and will never get outside of it.

While I agree he is a damn good player, he wasn't "go-to" last night. He shot 2-14. He scored 2 points over the last 10:30 minutes of the game, and missed about 5 or 6 shots in that time frame.

He was 3-12 for 9 points against MSU last year.
Moral of the story-itntakes more than one excellent offensive player. Even the best players have their off nights. Look at OklHoma. When Buddy Hield has struggled, he has had 3-4 different guys picking him up. Perrantes and Gill are pretty good players, burn nothing special.

Look at the 7-8 guys UNC rolls out there, then look at UVA's top 7-8. No comparison. Brogdon would just be another guy on that team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT